Taking food/drink off ship at port

mrsgthatsme

Yeah, you missed it, it was dramatic. She threw the food she had away from her beach tote and we left. Thanks for the support though. Keep spreading the hate.

You've never been under restrictions because of introduced pests.

I ALWAYS take bottled water and sealed home snacks. But have been known to take a sandwich or piece of pizza if we are on a full day trip or not sure of the good quality in the port. Some people even bring their own baggies...I don't go that far:rolleyes:

But don't try that in Australia...they are VERY serious about no food....

Yeah, you missed it, it was dramatic. She threw the food she had away from her beach tote and we left. Thanks for the support though. Keep spreading the hate.

Nothing to do with hate. It's simply respecting the law of the particular place you are visiting.

I wouldn't take food ashore in Australia or New Zealand.

We have however taken a snack ashore from Horizon court or the International in virtually every other part of the world and have never had any issue whatsoever.

Please don't get all excited and jump all over this. I'm simply relating our experience in answer to the question.

Nothing to do with hate. It's simply respecting the law of the particular place you are visiting.

And protecting the agricultural industry in hose places.

But me people ont give a rats about others and the Rick they pose to another places agricultural industry by taking off whatever they please.

As I said if their attitude is "I will take whatever food off I want" my attitude is I hope a cute little beagle sits next to them and they get a nice bright pair of bracelets.

I wouldn't take food ashore in Australia or New Zealand.

We have however taken a snack ashore from Horizon court or the International in virtually every other part of the world and have never had any issue whatsoever.

Please don't get all excited and jump all over this. I'm simply relating our experience in answer to the question.

Was just in Australia. Each port had a sternly worded statement about bringing food ashore, and we saw the port authorities enforcing the regulations.

Unfortunately some people think rules don't apply to them.

Reading this reminds my of the time a year or two ago when Rick Steves and his girl friend were on a Princess ship with a Northern European itinerary. According to their blog they had a regular balcony cabin and apparently they were comped breakfast at Sabatini's by Princess. They said the great deal about breakfast was that they could order ham and cheese croissant breakfast sandwiches and take them in their backpacks off of the ship (:eek:) and eat them for lunch. MY takeaway, don't always take Rick's advice, travel guru that he is, as gospel. ;)

Edited by ar1950

If it's a special code or restriction, no.

You're lucky. I got very good at wrapping up our swing set when they were spraying (crop dusting) malathion to kill fruit flies. On spraying nights we couldn't use the air conditioning, in Lis Angeles, in the summer.

Mexico is strict. The AG dog in San Diego alerted to my Lemonheads.

You're lucky. I got very good at wrapping up our swing set when they were spraying (crop dusting) malathion to kill fruit flies. On spraying nights we couldn't use the air conditioning, in Lis Angeles, in the summer.

Mexico is strict. The AG dog in San Diego alerted to my Lemonheads.

Sorry to appear ignorant (even if am) but what are Lemonheads.

I have never encountered a " food" police in any port asking or sniffing if we had food in our bags when we disembark in any given port,but I guess it can happen randomly.
It happens and isn't always random. I've seen a woman being led away by officers in Boston for having an apple in her backpack. I've been in Valparaiso a couple of times when soldiers with BIG guns and huge German shepherds checked every single carry on, purse, bag, etc. I've disembarked in San Francisco when dogs checked every single purse, carry on, bag, etc. (delaying disembarkation by hours.) In Hawaii, literally everything you carry off the ship is inspected... carry ons as well. New Zealand is very, very strict. I've disembarked in ports with huge barrels with discarded food that had to be dumped. It can happen and should someone be caught, they should be prepared for the consequences.

I have not seen the beautiful Golden Labrador in Ensenada recently. The dog and handler are looking for fruit with an amnesty barrel next to the exit.

Dog is very sensitive to backpacks and blue Princess bags. Almost always happy to see one.

One gentleman was very observant. He watched the people in front of him get checked out by the dog. So he "voluntarily" handed over his banana and started to walk away. Dog quickly sat next to him. He wasn't arrested, but they did confiscate an orange. What was he thinking. Oh yeah: "I can get away with this, let me try".

On the short coastal (Asian gambling cruises), many Asians thought they could escape with bringing their own fruit off the ship. Nabbed. I can say this because I am also Asian and am embarrassed by such behavior.

As others have said:

It's the rule (in the Patter)

It's the law of the land

It's respect for the host country

It's being responsible and knowing right from wrong

Well said. It's not about what you can get away with, it is about respect. Why do some people free the rules are for everyone else?

Well said. It's not about what you can get away with, it is about respect. Why do some people free the rules are for everyone else?

Mainly because they are selfish and don't care about anyone or anything, but themselves.

I just got off an airplane in NZ and there were three separate checkpoints looking for food. Lots of cute dogs. Exray machines. Dire warnings all over the place.

Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii are all islands and as such are protected to a degree from many pests and diseases. When you take food, particularly fruit or honey off the ship you can introduce pests. This is why there are very strict quarantine laws to protect agriculture. There are even restrictions between some states in Australia regarding transporting fruit between various regions. Again these are the laws and if you are visiting another country, it is only respectful to adhere to those laws regardless of whether you think they are good or bad.

There are some restrictions in Alaska and Canada. On our 2012 Vancouver to Whittier cruise this is what appeared in every Patter on port days and was mentioned in the the announcement over the PA at every port:

Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

On the Disembarkation Sheet (for Whittier) the content was slightly different:

US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS: It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced.

Despite the warning, in one port my DB walked off carrying a banana and was promptly told to stop and eat it or throw it in the bin. At another port (and I don't remember if it was on the Alaska cruise or on the Canadian portion of our Quebec to FLL cruise in 2014), he was told to drink up his coffee or throw it in the bin.

We've often taken some fruit or other small food items into port. Until I read this thread, I never realized it was a no-no. No one has ever said a word.

Learned something new today.

Maybe you've never cruised anywhere with restrictions, but on most cruises (maybe even every one) I've been on its in the Patter and announcements made over the PA at every port.

Mexico also is very strict.

At one port in Mexico the landing passengers walked between two fences. At the end were two Security Personal checking bags, purses, and back packs.

Next to them were two trash cans.

As I walked up I opened my camera bag and one person looked in and smiled. The same with my Wife. She had her purse open at the same time.

As we walked away I saw a woman passenger refuse to open her purse.

And, she decided the best way to get her way was to talk real loud to the Security Officer. One woman officer leaned over and said something to the woman who opened her purse and dumped some items into the trash can.

That passenger then started to walk away, then returned and dumped some trash into one of the cans. The Security Officer made her take it back out.

Some people are not burdened with a lot of smarts because a Mexican Jail is not a place to continue your vacation at.

Bob

I've taken fruit from breakfast

I have not personally seen anyone arrested in US territory, but should it happen to you are you prepared to travel back to the State or Territory where the offense occurred for your trial in the US District Court?