Would you rather?

vent1020

First off, it is GREAT to be back on the boards again. Haven't been on since my last cruise in Nov of 2014(Man, has it really been that long?) So, just booked another cruise yesterday (7 day Mexican Riviera) I now have that warm fuzzy feeling inside that I haven't had in a while.(You all know what I mean after you book a cruise)

Our last cruise we booked a suite(just to see what it's all about....It was AWESOME) Because of finances, we had to book a balcony this time.(But, I am still looking at surprising the family and upgrading to a suite, IF the price can come down a bit)

So this got me thinking and I'll ask my question and to answer I really think you need to have stayed in a suite to answer(but I'll take anyone's comments ;) .......

Would you rather cruise EVERY year if your finances permitted, but you can only stay in a balcony or skip every other year and stay in a suite?

Edited by vent1020

Would you rather cruise EVERY year if your finances permitted, but you can only stay in a balcony or skip every other year and stay in a suite?

Without a question I'd cruise more often in a balcony.

I enjoyed our one go in a suite, but it didn't even come close to being worth the extra money for us. I've had six cruises since the suite, all in balconies and minis and not once have I even given the suites a thought whilst onboard.

I'd probably pay up to an extra £500 for a suite for a week, but the actual premium is many times that.

Without a question I'd cruise more often in a balcony.

I enjoyed our one go in a suite, but it didn't even come close to being worth the extra money for us. I've had six cruises since the suite, all in balconies and minis and not once have I even given the suites a thought whilst onboard.

I'd probably pay up to an extra £500 for a suite for a week, but the actual premium is many times that.

Honestly, I know what you mean. I mean the extra space, GREAT smelling shampoos, conditioners and body wash AND the afternoon snacks were nice, but we didn't really get much more out of it than those things. So, I am with you.

On my second ever cruise, I was upgraded for free to a balcony cabin. From there, I felt like I could never go back to a mere inside or oceanview. Now, I have 4 more cruises booked, all inside cabins. For me, I would rather be able to cruise more often in a lower category cabin...

For me that is an easy question.

If I'm doing port-a-day cruises...(Off the ship most days)...Balcony

If I'm doing extended sea-day cruises (On the ship most days)...Suite

I prefer the Sea Days so I choose to cruise less often and book a suite.

It all depends on your preference.

On my second ever cruise, I was upgraded for free to a balcony cabin. From there, I felt like I could never go back to a mere inside or oceanview. Now, I have 4 more cruises booked, all inside cabins. For me, I would rather be able to cruise more often in a lower category cabin...

I guess it all depends on your situation. We have a 5 year old and a 10 year old, so having a balcony is a MUST, just to "get away" although only a few feet. With 4 people, the 2 bedroom suite was AWESOME also with the space and extra room. OH, and Cagney's for breakfast was also an awesome perk.

First off, it is GREAT to be back on the boards again. Haven't been on since my last cruise in Nov of 2014(Man, has it really been that long?) So, just booked another cruise yesterday (7 day Mexican Riviera) I now have that warm fuzzy feeling inside that I haven't had in a while.(You all know what I mean after you book a cruise)

Our last cruise we booked a suite(just to see what it's all about....It was AWESOME) Because of finances, we had to book a balcony this time.(But, I am still looking at surprising the family and upgrading to a suite, IF the price can come down a bit)

So this got me thinking and I'll ask my question and to answer I really think you need to have stayed in a suite to answer(but I'll take anyone's comments ;) .......

That's not even a question for me! We book insides and cruise 2 times a year at least!

For me that is an easy question.

If I'm doing port-a-day cruises...(Off the ship most days)...Balcony

If I'm doing extended sea-day cruises (On the ship most days)...Suite

I prefer the Sea Days so I choose to cruise less often and book a suite.

It all depends on your preference.

Ditto!

You'll get mad at me if I say twice/year, in a suite.... :o :o :o

People ask me why I work so hard.... I answer twice/year, in a suite. ;)

Stephen

In that case, why not 4 or 5 times a year in a balcony. :)

Being serious though, this is a factor. I can get away from work fairly often so given the time/money balance, money is generally our restriction. I'd rather get away 3-4 times a year in moderate accommodation than once or twice in luxury. The fact that I'm not too fussed about the luxury part helps.

Many people (and Americans probably more than most) have more money than time available for holidays, so a suite or equivalent is more attractive to them than to me.

Some massive generalisations there, but I think the point is valid.

Edited by KeithJenner

After having a taste for a suite (in the Haven no less) I would be hard pressed to go back.

I go on vacation with my family and my motto is go all out or don't go. I invest in memories.

Again just a personal preference.

That being said though if the itinerary was port heavy vs at sea I would probably be fine booking a balcony and rolling the dice on an upsell.

Lots of sea days and I'm booking a suite/haven no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Neither! I like to cruise 2 - 4 times per year and I would stay in a closet on the ship if that's what I had to do in order to be on the ocean that much!

In that case, why not 4 or 5 times a year in a balcony. :)

Being serious though, this is a factor. I can get away from work fairly often so given the time/money balance, money is generally our restriction. I'd rather get away 3-4 times a year in moderate accommodation than once or twice in luxury. The fact that I'm not too fussed about the luxury part helps.

Many people (and Americans probably more than most) have more money than time available for holidays, so a suite or equivalent is more attractive to them than to me.

Some massive generalisations there, but I think the point is valid.

I only have 5 weeks of vacation time...and two long cruises / year (next week's is for 14 days) in a suite suits me fine. We usually do a few days shoreside before and/or after...

I enjoy the luxury component, and time is more important to me than money. Not wasting my vacation in line-ups, or trying to get reservations when the place is 'full' are not my cup of tea. I like that somebody else knows how to fulfill my wishes.

The perks are really the crunch to making the decision as to whether a suite is worth it.

For us, the Haven was nice, but meant that we didn't get to enjoy the rest of the ship as much as we would have otherwise. I can take or leave the butler, prefer to book my own things than use a concierge and weren't bothered about breakfast or lunch in Cagneys.

The big room was great. We often go for a suite in a hotel, where the extra cost per night is maybe £100, but at the extra prices you pay for a suite on NCL it's a lot of money for a bigger room.

If the perks are important then I'd imagine a suite is worth paying quite a bit more for. If not then you are paying a lot of money for the extra room.

Suite - every single time

* faster check-in

* Cagney's for breakfast/lunch

* free UBP, UDP, 250 wifi and $50 for excursions

* seating for shows

* free room service & wine

* no waiting in the disembarking nightmare

Those are some, but most important to me, reasons I will only go penthouse+

Perish the thought but there was a time in our expat days when we cruised so often in suites that we actually became bored with it... not the crushing so much as the familiarity with menus and the routine. We even changed cruise lines to HAL for a bit for variety (with less than optimum results). We've started back on shorter duration (one week) cruises and our last two in balconies with two young kids (who had also become accustomed to the suite life) and it has actually re-enerized our cruising desire. We'll likely do one or two one week itineraries a year in balcony suites now and then the odd "bigger" special cruise in a suite - like the March 2017 Asia 18 night itin we booked recently.