Solstice cancels Bali for tomorrow

NorbertsNiece

I am pleased they have cancelled as they would not do it lightly and it must have been a viable threat.

Many cruises lately have had flu issues, as have many people on land, and even our local doctor caught something on recent short domestic flight. It seems to be a nasty strain that hangs on for longer than what we would have expected a few years ago.

We also had friends come off Carnival Spirit with the same thing recently.

I hope you stay well Linda. I have only just been back at work after having come down with the flu on a recent Explorer cruise, and my husband is still coughing. You can wash your hands till they fall off, but that does nothing to stop the airborne viruses.

I have never heard it like this other cruise seasons, and also in past winters. It does not seem to care if it is winter or summer.

On the Millennium porting in Bali March 16th and 17th. I,m hoping that Celebrity does not cancel this port. This port was one of the main reasons I booked this cruise. We cant let these things change our lives. That's giving in, making their threats prove their power. No.

The Solstice will be our home from September 19th through October 22nd, and we've wondered for some time if Bali will be skipped. Just a nine hour stop for our itinerary, so not a deal breaker.

Thanks for posting, and I also hope you escape the flu or noro.

I know it would be of little consolation but our Bali port stop was cancelled on Millennium due to a dispute with the local government, so we left the ship at the first port stop, flew to bali and returned (review in my signature). Bali was neat but I would never be in a rush to go back. It has a lot of neat and interesting culture and WONDERFUL people, but it is not a pristine tropical island.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

They cancelled Bali for us last year to, citing differences of opinion with their government or something. Was told after it was due to port corruption. Why not just cross Bali of their port list for good rather than keep letting passengers down.

Bali was neat but I would never be in a rush to go back. It has a lot of neat and interesting culture and WONDERFUL people, but it is not a pristine tropical island.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I think Celebrity's letter was excellent and the choice to avoid potential serious issues for the passengers certainly sounds like a prudent choice.

We visited Bali, Lambok and Komodo Island on the Millenium a couple of years ago and I would echo what need2bespoiled said....Bali is not the Bali of "South Pacific" or the vacation ads...it's disappointingly built up and although it doesn't have the poverty of some other areas, it's not picturesque until you get way away from the port. Lambok which is just across the bay and no longer on Celebrity Cruise itineraries was what we expected Bali to be. Bali is an interesting port...but to us, not one of the "don't miss" cruise ports.

(Komodo was fascinating.....at least for animal lovers. Visiting, however, is a bit like eating fugu sashimi.....most of the time things go well. The only thing between you and the dragons is a guide with a stick (no gun, just a long stick). The dragons do attack humans and there have been a numerous cases of attacks on rangers and workers on the island).

We are supposed to stop there in October. I hope (for more than just our holiday plans sake!) that things have settled down and we can stop. I have always thought I would like to see the rice terraces in Ubud but I don't particularly want to spend a land holiday in Bali.

Bali was neat but I would never be in a rush to go back. It has a lot of neat and interesting culture and WONDERFUL people, but it is not a pristine tropical island.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna,

I'd have to agree with your above statement; we didn't bother returning with our family when we visited the area a couple of years ago and we don't intend to this Christmas either ;).

Because we are skipping Bali, the Solstice will overnight in Darwin and make a technical stop at Willis Island to comply with Maritime law. The island is only 300 meters X 900 meters with only a weather station. No cash compensation has been offered.

Because we are skipping Bali, the Solstice will overnight in Darwin and make a technical stop at Willis Island to comply with Maritime law. The island is only 300 meters X 900 meters with only a weather station. No cash compensation has been offered.

Please explain the above highlighted comment.

I'd just like to say that I don't expect one having read, understood and agreed the cruise contract. There will probably be an Indonesian stamp in my passport as the Indonesian Authorities are still on board, their original job completed, and will remain so until Darwin.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

That is going to be a very crowded island. What kind of shore excursions will be offered. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that Bali is being skipped. We just spent a week there and reluctantly left today. It is a wonderful and very safe place and one of our best vacations ever. They call it Heaven on Earth. This was our second trip there. We are currently in Hong Kong. If we can arrange it, we would like to get back every couple of years. We also flew to Labaun Bajo for a private tour to both Komodo and Rica Islands in Komodo National Park to see the dragons. We are so glad we has these Islands to ourselves when we were there. A few days earlier both an Azamara and Hal ship were at Komodo Island with about 1,900 passengers in total.

Edited by Jade13

I am pleased they have cancelled as they would not do it lightly and it must have been a

Viable threat. QUOTE]

What threat? We have been in Bali for over a week and have heard nothing of any threat. It is very safe.

I am pleased they have cancelled as they would not do it lightly and it must have been a

Viable threat. QUOTE]

What threat? We have been in Bali for over a week and have heard nothing of any threat. It is very safe.

Go back and read the first part of the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am pleased they have cancelled as they would not do it lightly and it must have been a viable threat...
Well, I have read the entire thread AND Celebrity's letter. According to the letter they cancelled not for caution or a reasonable caution but "in an abundance of caution". Not sure what X thinks those words mean, but to me they mean "we really don't have a viable threat but we are being excessively cautious and cancelling anyway". Perhaps not what they mean - many Celebrity statements have an over-abundance of words that obscure any meaning that might have been intended.

Thom