Tipping!

Jennifer8719

I know there will be many people to tip on our cruise, but how much do you tip? Is it the general 20% rule? I'm talking about all tips including cabs in ports, guides, bartenders, waiters ect. Both on the ship and locals in port. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tips in the USA for taxis around 15%.

Tips in port vary based on where you are sailing.

Not sure what cruise ship you are on but the tips are either pre-paid or there are recommended guidelines found on the cruise lines own web page.

Tips are drinks are automatically added to your bar bill.

Keith

Hi Jennifer, and welcome.

What line are you cruising? Most lines these days have an automatic gratuity or service charge, in which your daily account will be charged a certain amount per passenger (children too!) in order to pay gratuities to those who will help make your cruise very special. The auto-tip covers waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter, and cabin steward. When you purchase an alcoholic drink or soda or spa services, for example, a gratuity will be added to your bill, so you don't have to worry about how much to tip. You can always tip extra if you feel you want to.

Those NOT included in your auto-gratuity on board include room service servers, and gratuities for the children's club if your kids will be using that.

In port, we always tip the porters at embarkation, usually $5.00 for 2 bags. Tour guides and/or drivers get a minimum of $5 - $10 each from us, or you can figure a percentage if you'd rather.

Come back and tell us which line you are cruising, and we can help more.

on the ship most will be added to your shipboard account ..room service waiters you can tip when your order arrives ..small order coffee/snack $1-2

meal $5

off the ship 15%- 20% is good

porters few $ depending on how many bags

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We are among those who do keep the automatic gratuity (some cruise lines call it a Hotel Service Charge) in place. It is added daily per person to your shipboard account. That way we can tip extra at the end of the cruise to those whom we feel made our cruise extra special.

Bar bills automatically add on a 15% - 18% gratuity -- amount depends on cruise line.

Usually people give the porters $2 per bag. If we order cabin service -- $2 - $10 depending on how much is ordered. Ashore -- tour guides -- usually $5 per person for tours that are 3 - 4 hours and more for longer excursions. Restaurants -- 15% - 20% depending on the service.

Today, all the major cruise lines add the proper tip to your account on a daily basis. Any drink you buy will have 18% added to the cost.

If you buy a drink package, tip is included in the price as well

So..those added tips cover bartenders, cabin attendant, waiter, ass't waiter and head waiter.

Really, the only other persons ON THE SHIP you would need to tip is room service IF you use it! That's it!

We are on the Norwegian Getaway going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We have the ubp and prepaid our gratuities, I just wasn't sure who all that covered. I just wanted to be prepared with who we need to tip when we are on the islands and how much is appropriate.

I know there will be many people to tip on our cruise, but how much do you tip? Is it the general 20% rule? I'm talking about all tips including cabs in ports, guides, bartenders, waiters ect. Both on the ship and locals in port. Thanks!

20% of what?

Tipping should be based on the value of the service being rendered. Tipping between 15 and 25% based on the level of the service is common when dealing with food, but you don't tip the person that moves your luggage from point A to point B based on a percentage of the cruise/airline/hotel cost. You don't tip a valet who parks your car and brings it back to you based on the cost of the car (otherwise I'm changing jobs and I'll settle for just 10% - in a four hour day I could easily make $30,000).

We are on the Norwegian Getaway going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We have the ubp and prepaid our gratuities, I just wasn't sure who all that covered. I just wanted to be prepared with who we need to tip when we are on the islands and how much is appropriate.

On the ship with your ubp and prepaid gratuities you have already tipped all who need to be.

On the islands tip for drinks, meals, taxis, etc. the same as you would at home ... just check your tab to make sure the tip hasn't already been added.

Have a great cruise! :)

By 20% I mean that in America it's usually suggested to tip 20% (meals, drinks) , dependent on the quality of service. But in Canada and some places in Europe they tip much less. I was wondering what is customary in the Caribbean. And obviously I wouldn't tip 20% the amount of my car for the valet haha but I was more speaking to things I've never tipped before, i.e. What is appropriate to tip the guide at Blue hole in Jamacia or things like that, since this is my first cruise and I have never tipped guides, luggage carriers ect :)

Grand Cayman: Some restaurants add a 15% service charge, some do not. Ask if you're not sure. If they do customarily you can round up. If they don't 15-20% would be good. Also check if the tab is in Cayman or US $$.

Taxis about $2-5 more than the fare. If the taxi driver gives you a tour, maybe 20% of the fare :confused:

Edited by Philob

Tipping for room service is not an agreed upon necessity, although many regular posters here believe it is. Others believe it is included in the daily service charge.

I have a hard time thinking that people actually tip 10.00 to have their food delivered to the cabin. The person is only delivering that food. They did not prepare it nor put it on the tray- You pay your cabin steward 3.50 pp per day which is a lot less then what people are tipping for room service.

When it comes to international travel, you really should look at resources geared to specific countries- particularly when looking at things like gratuities.

Some places add service charges to things like restaurant bills and the most you would ever "tip" would be to leave on the table the coins in your change. Others eschew a tipping culture altogether. Of course, most service personnel would not want offend you by refusing a tip (unless they would be in danger of losing their job).

Even here in the US, some top restaurants in major metro cities (like SF) are moving to eliminate tipping (and replacing it with higher price points to augment and assure predictable incomes for their employees).

What would be a reasonable extra tip for cabin steward for two week cruise?

depends on the cruiselines the type of cabin.

main stream cruises you tip 3.50 pp per night.

if they do anything for you over and above the regular then you tip accordingly.

same with if you have certain requests