Flights out of Fort Lauderdale on Saturdays

Kruzrk

You are right--there is no room for a bigger airport...Perhaps some updates to the current airport to better handle the amount of people and to add better areas for waiting with more food options.

Again though, you are asking that they take a finite amount of space and somehow enlarge it to add extra seating pre-security. I spend far more time in T2 at FLL than any other terminal there, and they are all a bit different, but at least in T2 I know there is literally NOWHERE to add seating pre-security unless they add on to the street side of the building... but ultimately that would mean moving the entire parking garage, LOL. Not really practical! The most practical solution is for people to not show up more than a couple of hours before their flight, and to understand that on Saturdays and Sundays during the winter there is going to be an inordinate number of people doing likewise, so yes- the seating area near the gates is still going to be jam packed. But I think it would be really hard to justify building an entire new airport because seasonally the weekends are more crowded. I fly in and out of FLL many times throughout the year for reasons other than cruises and the vast majority of the time, it's fine.

Connect through DFW on AA, IAH on United or Atlanta on DL if you want to minimize your risk of getting stuck in snow. Or fly through one of the more northerly airports where snow is dealt with better.

Or if you want non-stop then drive the short distance to Chicago and you've got zillions of non-stop options.

Yep, there are multiple airline hubs (i.e. connecting cities) in cities better equipped to handle winter weather. New York/Newark (DL/AA/UA/B6), Philly (AA), Pittsburgh (AA, though not a major hub anymore), Chicago (UA), Minneapolis and Detroit (both DL), Denver (UA), Salt Lake City (DL), Toronto (Air Canada), Boston (B6), Washington DC (AA/UA), and Baltimore (WN)

There are many, many airports that do not have a big waiting area pre-security. The reason? Most pax show up much closer to flight time than you did, so they can go right through security upon arrival. Just FYI for your future travels. ;)

Again, where exactly do you propose they build a bigger airport in Ft. Lauderdale? Is there a huge plot of empty land, conveniently located and zoned appropriately, that you are aware of?

As for non-stop flights into Miami (direct flights are not necessarily non-stop, by the way, and I assume it's non-stop that you actually mean) American Airlines has a lot of non-stop flights into Miami, as that is a hub for them.

I have not noticed any non-stop from Buffalo to Miami on American Airlines. All the flights show a connection.

As for building a new airport, as I said in another post, I realize there is no land to build a new airport, but hopefully they will update the one they have. I think this thread has run its course. I started out agreeing with the first post about the condition of Ft Lauderdale airport, as it truly is a zoo. And I don't see a change to that situation in the foreseeable future. But as others have posted, myself included, we use that airport because of cost. Yes, I get it--you get what you pay for--but not all of us can afford to fly first class, or fly in an hour or two away and rent a car. We do what we can afford for our budgets. And as I said, I do not begrudge anyone that can afford to do that at all, but please do not try to make those of us that can't afford to feel inferior. We all live within certain budgets. This thread was only to discuss the zoo-like conditions of Ft Lauderdale airport, and I think anyone who has used that airport, would agree. As for it only being crazy during high season, well, that too is understandable, as that is when many of us northerners prefer to cruise/travel south--to escape the cold and snow. So, with that said, I am done. Lol!

It wasn't just Southwest that was uber crowded in FLL; the Alaska/United terminal was packed, too on our last disembarkation day in December. No seats available, and some non-customers were even taking seats at the restaurants just to be able to plug in their phones. I really like how they've modernized the airport, but it could stand to be expanded if there was money and space. I'm sure there isn't enough of either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

...Again, where exactly do you propose they build a bigger airport in Ft. Lauderdale? Is there a huge plot of empty land, conveniently located and zoned appropriately, that you are aware of?...

Again though, you are asking that they take a finite amount of space and somehow enlarge it to add extra seating pre-security. I spend far more time in T2 at FLL than any other terminal there, and they are all a bit different, but at least in T2 I know there is literally NOWHERE to add seating pre-security unless they add on to the street side of the building... but ultimately that would mean moving the entire parking garage, LOL. Not really practical! The most practical solution is for people to not show up more than a couple of hours before their flight, and to understand that on Saturdays and Sundays during the winter there is going to be an inordinate number of people doing likewise, so yes- the seating area near the gates is still going to be jam packed. But I think it would be really hard to justify building an entire new airport because seasonally the weekends are more crowded. I fly in and out of FLL many times throughout the year for reasons other than cruises and the vast majority of the time, it's fine.

Ft Lauderdale does not need a new airport, just better terminals. That does not necessarily require more land and it does not necessarily require tearing down a parking structure.

FLL is unique in that a significant percentage of its traffic are individuals headed to or from cruise ships. They do not have the option of staying at home or hanging around a hotel/motel until closer to flight time. The most practical solution to the crowding issue is to renovate and/or expand the current facilities.

From the airport's official website, http://www.broward.org/Airport/About/Pages/Default.aspx:

Major Improvements Underway

The
will modernize the terminals, add gates for international and domestic destinations, and keep delays to a minimum through a new runway. FLLAIR includes these major projects.

• The new South Runway that opened in September 2014 created an estimated 11,000 construction jobs with a $1.4 billion impact to the regional economy.

• Terminal 4 will expand from 10 to 14 gates with more international gates. There will also be more restaurants and shops for passengers.

• The Terminal Modernization Program will upgrade and improve Terminals 1, 2, and 3.

• Concourse A in Terminal 1 will have five gates for both international and domestic flights.

Connect through DFW on AA, IAH on United or Atlanta on DL if you want to minimize your risk of getting stuck in snow. Or fly through one of the more northerly airports where snow is dealt with better.

Or if you want non-stop then drive the short distance to Chicago and you've got zillions of non-stop options.

Atlanta, no way. The last time my family had a layover there, it would have been 3 days before they could get them home.

I have not noticed any non-stop from Buffalo to Miami on American Airlines. All the flights show a connection.

But as others have posted, myself included, we use that airport because of cost. Yes, I get it--you get what you pay for--but not all of us can afford to fly first class, or fly in an hour or two away and rent a car. We do what we can afford for our budgets. And as I said, I do not begrudge anyone that can afford to do that at all, but please do not try to make those of us that can't afford to feel inferior. We all live within certain budgets.

Never said there was a nonstop on American from Buffalo to Miami, but someone (maybe it was you, I don't recall) mentioned a dearth of nonstop flights into Miami. I replied that it's a hub from American so there ARE actually LOT of nonstop flights to MIA on AA. That doesn't mean there's a nonstop to MIA from every city in the country.

And I never commented on the affordability of flying here or there, and I don't think I said anything to imply that you are somehow inferior, LOL.

Ft Lauderdale does not need a new airport, just better terminals. That does not necessarily require more land and it does not necessarily require tearing down a parking structure.

A comment was made that there should be more seating before you go through security. I simply said that for T2 at least, there is very limited room in the pre-security area unless they do something drastic like what? Add a 2nd floor to that area? Very difficult to do and keep the check in area functional. It's only needed during part of the day anyway, 2 days a week, which hardly justifies the expense and inconvenience.

Atlanta, no way. The last time my family had a layover there, it would have been 3 days before they could get them home.

I did say minimize....you know the reason that these cities cannot cope with snow is because they don't get it much in the first place...

People have nightmare stories from every hub for one reason or another. Eventually, every city gets hit with a storm of some kind that will cripple operations for a while. I would say it's more of an odds game - what are the odds you'll get stuck in Atlanta for three days? Odds are extremely, extremely minimal. Of course it has happened, as it has in Dallas, DC, New York, LA, Miami. But what are the odds?

(Sorry, the engineer/scientist in me is kicking in. I am a very odds based person).

As for building a new airport, as I said in another post, I realize there is no land to build a new airport, but hopefully they will update the one they have. I think this thread has run its course. I started out agreeing with the first post about the condition of Ft Lauderdale airport, as it truly is a zoo. And I don't see a change to that situation in the foreseeable future. But as others have posted, myself included, we use that airport because of cost. Yes, I get it--you get what you pay for--but not all of us can afford to fly first class, or fly in an hour or two away and rent a car. We do what we can afford for our budgets. And as I said, I do not begrudge anyone that can afford to do that at all, but please do not try to make those of us that can't afford to feel inferior. We all live within certain budgets. This thread was only to discuss the zoo-like conditions of Ft Lauderdale airport, and I think anyone who has used that airport, would agree. As for it only being crazy during high season, well, that too is understandable, as that is when many of us northerners prefer to cruise/travel south--to escape the cold and snow. So, with that said, I am done. Lol!

What does flying first class have to do with this topic? :confused: They do have a larger airport in south FL...it is called Miami International Airport (MIA). You make the decision to only want to use Southwest....that is a YOU problem. Start looking at other airlines you will probably find that they are not more expensive than the blue and orange. The cult of the blue and orange has it in their heads that they are always cheaper but that is NOT always the reality. You realize you can go from MIA to BUF on AA with only 1 connection right? You can even pick where you want to connect...just a random date in the fall shows CLT,DCA,ORD and PHL (the only one I would avoid is PHL) with the price difference being under $50. :rolleyes:

People have nightmare stories from every hub for one reason or another. Eventually, every city gets hit with a storm of some kind that will cripple operations for a while. I would say it's more of an odds game - what are the odds you'll get stuck in Atlanta for three days? Odds are extremely, extremely minimal. Of course it has happened, as it has in Dallas, DC, New York, LA, Miami. But what are the odds?

(Sorry, the engineer/scientist in me is kicking in. I am a very odds based person).

I'd take my chances in ATL, with with being DL's main hub and being the busiest airport (or at least one of the busiest in the world) over most other ones any day. Being stuck for 3 days sounds like a little bit of hyperbole to me anyway. If all else fails, rent a car and drive 4 hours to CLT and get out from one of AA's major hubs.

A comment was made that there should be more seating before you go through security.

For some thread drift and talking about terminal rebuilds just to point out the terminal rebuilds at JFK have mostly gotten rid of seating pre-security and with tons of international flights and expensive hotel rooms tourist choose to overnight at the airport even without seats.

T8 AA is the host airline there is NO seating before security except in two "status" areas.

T4 before Delta become the host airline security was at the entry to A and B concourses, now it's just after the ticket counters on the upper level. No seating until after security (though McDonalds is 24 hours, again after security).

T2, nothing

T5, B6 no seating before security

T1, A small cafe with news stand on the lower level with a few seats/tables (Hudson News with Dunkin Dounts) but they close early eveining.

T7, BA, a few seats but the door on the upper level, maybe 8 total.

What does flying first class have to do with this topic? :confused:

Because the initial post ended with, "Is this what flying is coming too?" {sic}

I pointed out it wasn't, but as you point out if you stick to the "but my bags sort of fly free in the sense that I'm paying for it in my increased fare" Southwest then you are...

T7, BA, a few seats but the door on the upper level, maybe 8 total.

There's a swanky Union Jack couch down near the First check-in:

British-Airways-Concorde-Room-JFK-09.jpg

I'd take my chances in ATL, with with being DL's main hub and being the busiest airport (or at least one of the busiest in the world) over most other ones any day. Being stuck for 3 days sounds like a little bit of hyperbole to me anyway. If all else fails, rent a car and drive 4 hours to CLT and get out from one of AA's major hubs.

Three days is possible. Last year I was stuck at DFW and they told me it would be two days to get me home, and that's with AA ExecPlat status. I got a car a drove. But really, three days for someone without status isn't impossible for me to believe.

Three days is possible. Last year I was stuck at DFW and they told me it would be two days to get me home, and that's with AA ExecPlat status. I got a car a drove. But really, three days for someone without status isn't impossible for me to believe.

Indeed, at the end of January (two days after the big NYC blizzard) I was flying JFK-CLT and my seatmate said he had been trying to get home for 5 days. Charlotte was hit by the snow and ice, then NYC just after. I was in F and don't know if he was trying to stay in F, thus causing delays or he was upgraded because there was an available seat. He didn't appear to have status.

On that flight we were delayed because of crew from other flights and pushed back 20secs from the crew timing out...let's just say boarding was like something off a Japanese gameshow!

High load factors mean if you end up with a day's worth of cancellations it can be tricky to find space for plane loads of passengers on subsequent flights.

As you say it's all a numbers game. In the last 9 months I've had three unexpected overnights at CLT (a hub I generally consider low risk); two of them weather related and another for mechanical delay causing me to miss the last flight of the day to my destination. In both weather cases I had around a 2hr connection. Thankfully top tier status helps and flying in paid F gives the options for both cabins.

Edited by fbgd

I fly AA out of T3 in ORD. I am fairly certain that FLL has a lot more seating before security than ORD. Of course at ORD they let you check in your luggage at any time on the day of your flight. I wonder if the "problem" at FLL is the luggage handling limitations because of the large number of cruisers arriving at the airport early.

I fly AA out of T3 in ORD. I am fairly certain that FLL has a lot more seating before security than ORD. Of course at ORD they let you check in your luggage at any time on the day of your flight. I wonder if the "problem" at FLL is the luggage handling limitations because of the large number of cruisers arriving at the airport early.

Almost certainly it is. I know in T2 at FLL, Delta often has someone walking around the check in area, especially on weekends since that's when cruise ships are arriving in port.. As people approach a line, the rep asks what time their flight is, and if it's more than 3 hours out they tell them they can't check in yet. Spares them waiting in line only to be told that when it's finally their turn.

People will complain when a $20 per ticket surcharge is added as an "airport improvement" fee to build a bigger or to refurbish an airport.

Many of these posts are classic cases of wanting Champagne on a beer budget. As others have suggested, there were choices. Rent a car and go to the beach for the day, get a day room and lounge by the pool, or find something else that interests you to do. When you CHOOSE to hang around an airport all afternoon, when you CHOSE to take a later flight to save money, you made choices. I don't think people have the right to complain when they made these choices for themselves.

Edited by ducklite

Many of these posts are classic cases of wanting Champagne on a beer budget. As others have suggested, there were choices. Rent a car and go to the beach for the day, get a day room and lounge by the pool, or find something else that interests you to do. When you CHOOSE to hang around an airport all afternoon, when you CHOSE to take a later flight to save money, you made choices. I don't think people have the right to complain when they made these choices for themselves.

There were many factors that came into the situation. We had picked the 10am disembarkation time ( the last slot) . We had a person who needed a wheelchair so we ended up being disembarked about 40 min earlier than we thought. The cruiseline had us leave early. Customs went extradinarily faster than predicted and faster than previous cruises other family had experienced. We knew we would be at the airport early but all these factors got us there much earlier than expected. By like 2 hours.( I have seen posts where customs can take forever) How do you plan something when you don't know how long disembarkation or customs will take..

They were limiting the number people thru TSA based on the # of people which I understand but we had no idea what chaotic travel day it would be at the airport. Yes, we flew Southwest for the price but when you live in the north, the direct flight is higher priority too.

So yes, we learned a lesson, we will probably just fly out the next day.