New China Coming?

DoorCounty

it seems that all too often when a company makes a new hire or two that they just HAVE to try and change things to prove their worth...unfortunately it seems that often they want to fix things that aren't broken (like changing logos or dishes)....

traditional looks seem to be one of the things that the younger geeky types always want to change with more "snazzy" look....

i for one wish that they would dedicate their efforts to areas that actual customers have complained about... i highly doubt that many if any pax ever complained about the logo...there are lots of areas that could be improved but i guess that is not as glamorous as fixing things that aren't broken

THIS!! It is true in every business and it's sad.

As far as younger people wanting to get rid of traditional looks...I am only 33 and I love the old-school aesthetic, especially when it comes to ocean travel. And of course, playing on the ocean liner history with the grand traditions and glamour of ocean travel is basically what has kept Cunard in business. HAL could easily play up the same things; they are the only two lines that can offer that. There are oodles of variations of the Carnival/NCL/RCCL model already.

THIS!! It is true in every business and it's sad.

As far as younger people wanting to get rid of traditional looks...I am only 33 and I love the old-school aesthetic, especially when it comes to ocean travel. And of course, playing on the ocean liner history with the grand traditions and glamour of ocean travel is basically what has kept Cunard in business. HAL could easily play up the same things; they are the only two lines that can offer that. There are oodles of variations of the Carnival/NCL/RCCL model already.

YES!

And HAL used to trade on the nautical, historical theme and they did it very well. The traditions were there in abundance.

You could (and still can, but to a lesser degree) tell that you are on a ship and not at a floating theme park. This is why we picked HAL for our very first cruise.

It tells you something that Cunard is the only one left that truly trades on the ocean liner history.

it seems that all too often when a company makes a new hire or two that they just HAVE to try and change things to prove their worth...unfortunately it seems that often they want to fix things that aren't broken (like changing logos or dishes)....

traditional looks seem to be one of the things that the younger geeky types always want to change with more "snazzy" look....

i for one wish that they would dedicate their efforts to areas that actual customers have complained about... i highly doubt that many if any pax ever complained about the logo...there are lots of areas that could be improved but i guess that is not as glamorous as fixing things that aren't broken

(bold is mine)

So true! Changing the logo or the dishes is highly visible, and an easy way for the new "suit" to show off his/her importance.

Here are a couple of pictures of the new Pinnacle china that I took on our recent cruise on the Koningsdam. We surreptitiously turned the charger over to find out more info - it's Raynaud, Limoges.

Best regards,

Priscilla

newpinnaclecharger.JPG

backofpinnaclecharger.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures of the new Pinnacle china that I took on our recent cruise on the Koningsdam. We surreptitiously turned the charger over to find out more info - it's Raynaud, Limoges.

Best regards,

Priscilla

newpinnaclecharger.JPG

Wow thanks!! It actually looks better in full view than the tid-bits or glimpses that show up on the review pics. I still prefer the aesthetic of the blue Bvlgari but this is nice and still elegant. It is also, unlike the Bvlgari one, a pattern that is commercially available so those that like it can indeed by it for home.

Did you notice the MDR china by any chance?

Edited by Bostonjetset

New white china for MDR - did not like lack of plate rim. Knife kept sliding off and the handle then dropped into the sauce. I had to retrain myself.

HAL probably just trying to be "hip" as these are the types of plates one now sees in landside restaurants, who unfortunately pay more attention to presentation than preparation. Bah.

Since you asked .... :)

Here are some more china pictures from both the Pinnacle and Main Dining Room.

Best regards,

Priscilla

Pinnacle dessert plate

DessertPlateinPinnacle.jpg

Main Dining Room dinner plate

MDRplate.jpg

Main Dining Room saucer

MDRsaucer.jpg

Main Dining Room dessert plate

MDRTriangleDessertPlate.jpg

Best regards,

Priscilla

Pinnacle dessert plate

DessertPlateinPinnacle.jpg

Main Dining Room dinner plate

MDRplate.jpg

Main Dining Room saucer

MDRsaucer.jpg

Main Dining Room dessert plate

MDRTriangleDessertPlate.jpg

Thanks for more pics!! So there is a mash up of the lovely old plates and the boring new ones?? ugh.

Thanks for the photos!

When I can drag my eyes off the food, I think the new plates are ugly, no other word suffices. I do like the different shapes, though!

I don't get "modern" at all. I suppose the plain white shows off the food, but you really need a patterned table cloth to make them work.

The patterned rim of the plate under the sundae is enough to make an elegant piece of china.

Best regards,

Priscilla

newpinnaclecharger.JPG

That's what they had in PG in December on Veendam.

Washing table cloths (land side) is a huge use of water, along with the labor of pressing them and having them on hand. In Calif we take a critical look at all water usage and where it can be eliminated. (Boo hoo)

Ship water usage take energy to produce so we too get warnings not to waste it. But that would be a huge MDR loss to not have the silver and linen napery.

Edited by OlsSalt

Color me a table ignorant heathen but does the charger serve a purpose:confused:

Have been on many cruises but I have never focused on the china but the food:o

I can understand a beautifully colored plate but does the white not almost force the chef to make his foods the centerpeice?

Does a beautiful plate hide the fact that a slab of meat with a blob of mashed potatoes and a few carrots poised on top of said meat make a poignant culinary statement?

I do not mind a white plate so that a culinary artist can frame their personal statement. I believe the culinary world at this point in time is the current fashion statement......now if they can stand up to this statement is another question.

White plate, gold edged plate, articulate logoed plate, old logo, new logo, bright or exotic plates......will it matter if culinary art is art or is the chef a hash slinger:rolleyes:

I prefer a beautifully plated dish which stands up to my senses regardless of simplicity, detailed or colorful plates.

Color me a table ignorant heathen but does the charger serve a purpose:confused:

I can understand a beautifully colored plate but does the white not almost force the chef to make his foods the centerpeice?

Does a beautiful plate hide the fact that a slab of meat with a blob of mashed potatoes and a few carrots poised on top of said meat make a poignant culinary statement?

I do not mind a white plate so that a culinary artist can frame their personal statement. I believe the culinary world at this point in time is the current fashion statement......now if they can stand up to this statement is another question.

White plate, gold edged plate, articulate logoed plate, old logo, new logo, bright or exotic plates......will it matter if culinary art is art or is the chef a hash slinger:rolleyes:

I prefer a beautifully plated dish which stands up to my senses regardless of simplicity, detailed or colorful plates.

And HAL is generally not up to the standard needed.

Sometimes, yes, but this is banquet food for the most part, although very good banquet food.

Best regards,

Priscilla

newpinnaclecharger.JPG

Oh My Gosh! I'm not sure I could actually eat from that! It reminds me of my old spirograph toy that I had as a kid.

Every time I am reminded of the change to the HAL Logo, it irritates me. Why changing the Logo is going to be anything positive is beyond me. Of all the things they could be spending money on that would make a difference, to be replacing all the Logo items in all HAL ships, corporate, advertising, blah blah bah is such a waste IMO.

How about hiring a few more stewards instead? How about upgrade to menu items? Captain's Welcome Aboard and so many other things that have been cut?

I'm not sure of the reason but most every company changes its logo from time to time if even just by a little. It must be some business reason. There is actually a website dedicated to showing how familiar logos of well known companies have morphed over time.

I think restaurants like chargers because when you look around, unoccupied tables look nicely set. Pinnacle's decor tends to be OTT, so the Limoges dishes are trying to keep up with that.

And HAL is generally not up to the standard needed.

Sometimes, yes, but this is banquet food for the most part, although very good banquet food.

Hence....the need for colorful busy plates.....takes the attention off of the banquet food.

"Oh look Hank at least the plate and charger are beautiful"!:rolleyes:

We were quite surprised with the food on the Koningsdam - it was all really good. Usually the main dining room food is not particularly exciting to us, but it was delicious, nicely presented, and served well. No complaints at all!

Best regards,

Priscilla

Those plain white plates look more like "kitchen" than "elegant dining room".

We were quite surprised with the food on the Koningsdam - it was all really good. Usually the main dining room food is not particularly exciting to us, but it was delicious, nicely presented, and served well. No complaints at all!

Best regards,

Priscilla

I certainly hope it holds true when we sail on the KDam in october!

Of course food quality and prep is important but that doesn't mean the table settings are not also important, especially when one is paying extra as the atmosphere is part of the experience as well. You are correct that plain, white plates do seem to be the trend currently [both on ship and on land] but that is exactly what it is...a trend. I think many of us are disappointed that HAL has chosen to follow a trend [and likely only because it saves them money] rather than stick to tradition. Whilst boring, white china is en vogue right now, beautifully decorated china has been around for hundreds of years [in other words, it's classic]. Like all things classic, they stand the test of time.

As far as the new orange PG china [and yes it DOES kind of look like the spriograph of years gone by! haha], Raynaud is a very high end brand and those plates likely cost more than the Bvlgari ones that came before. I saw the same pattern on Bloomingdales website and the dinner plates alone are over $200 each. The Bvlgari is made by Rosenthal [and so is Versace china which I believe they used many years ago from pics I've seen] which is a wonderful German brand but does not generally compete with French Limoges porcelain [which is regarded as some of the best in the world]. I still prefer the Bvlgari pattern but at least they went with something nice to replace it even if it doesn't speak to my tastes personally. Maybe they upgraded the PG china at the expensive of the MDR china? Could it be a conspiracy? HAHA

Those plain white plates look more like "kitchen" than "elegant dining room".

EXACTLY!