Regent Dress Code and Cabins - What's the real deal?

This topic has been creating a tempest for years. Ignore what all the people on here say that want to decide what their fellow passengers can wear to dinner and wear your elegant jeans. I usually like to get dressed up a little for dinner, both at home and at sea, but I could care less what the people at the next table wear.mRegent will not refuse you entrance to the dining room with the clothes you describe. That means the clothes meet the Regent dress code. These boards are dominated by a very few very opinionated passengers. Ignore them. Have fun, and I am sure you will look great at dinner. Just so you know, white and black jeans are definitely worn frequently, and even blue dressy jeans are not uncommon.

Travelcat:I've been cruising with Regent since 2001 and have seen all the dress codes changes. The next change will probably go to " Casual ". You can then expect to see shorts

and T-shirts being worn 24/7.

I highly doubt that you will ever see that happen on any luxury line. Daytime wear sure but not at night ....shorts and T-shirts in the evening.:eek:

Agree that shorts will likely never be part of Regent's dress code. What is really interesting to me is that there are currently two threads where some posters recommend going against Regent's stated policy. Do I detect a sense of entitlement by Regent passengers? Respect for a company's policies may seem like an old fashioned idea to some but not to me.

The only dress code that matters is Regent's - not mine or any other posters. Posters do not tell other posters what they can and cannot wear unless it is something that is within the guidelines. As most of you know, Regent prints in their daily paper, Passages, just about every day that "jeans are not permitted after 6:00 p.m."

What Cruise Critic posters try to do is help people new to Regent understand the policy -- that it is fine if you want to wear a tux - a sports jacket - a tie - polo shirt with collar - nice slacks - a Hawaiian shirt if that is your thing, etc. We give ideas that are within the guidelines - we do not make up rules as we go along and do not suggest how you can get away with wearing something that passengers are specifically asked not to wear.

Edited by Travelcat2

I agree completely with Poss. Regent has decided that appropriate dress for dinner does not require that men wear a sport coat. While everyone is entitled to his or her opinion on this issue, the only opinion that counts is Regent's. Calling anyone who adheres to Regent's dress code a slob is simply beyond the pale.

Well said, Dave. These dress code threads always bring out some of the usual suspects (including me). However, what any particular poster might "wish" Regent's dress code was or thinks is "appropriate" is quite irrelevant to the basic question of what does the cruise line set as the standard. If someone does not like the very clearly stated Regent dress policy and thinks that it is not sufficiently formal, then that person can certainly go to Cunard or Silversea.

Further, the fact that one poster or another has modeled in the past for Lane Bryant or boasts of a wardrobe composed of various pieces of overpriced "designer" apparel does not by extension create any reasonable confidence in the declarations by such poster that the wearing of such things as khakis or Tommy Bahama shirts would constitute either slovenliness or (Dog forbid!!) an inadequate fashion sense.

Lane Bryant? Now you are dating yourself. I prefer the Bob Mackey designs....but shhhh. I am a guy. I prefer Hugo Boss myself. Lane Bryant was in every mall at one time now they have almost disappeared.

I love nice clothes and shoes and stay on top of men's fashion so what's wrong with that?

I guess I am on the younger side of the luxury line demographics.

Sorry to be a pedant but think it is important to differentiate between the following terms:

Policy

Code (or code of practice / code of conduct

Guideline

The term policy seems to be bandied around on this thread when actually it is no more than a code backed up with some loose guidelines.

IMO Guests should dress as they please as long as their attire adheres to the dress code (i.e. elegant casual etc) and does not unnecessarily outrage fellow travellers.

Unfortunately some appear to be more easily outraged than others :rolleyes::rolleyes:

After watching this thread (and the Tipping one!) for several days, I finally feel compelled to comment. This dress code issue is getting beyond ridiculous. We are adults able to dress ourselves appropriately. I wonder if the 'no jeans after 6' policy/guide was a result of Regent trying to control a situation they thought could rapidly get out of control. I don't want to be embarrassed by having a staff member ask me to leave the dinning room or bar because I'm wearing those dreaded JEANS. Neither do I expect anyone to touch the fabric of my pants to determine if they are acceptable. I'm quite confident I won't see anyone in shorts and flip flops after 6, but seriously, I'm not concerned about how others dress. Just be polite and enjoy your cruise! I know I will!

Now all we need is an issue with the non-existent wine list to complete the Regent trifecta.

As to tipping and dress code, here it is, straight from the current version of the website (which I guess could be the fourth leg in the superfecta? Quadfecta? Whichever):

Should I tip onboard?

Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all Regent employees. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events.

Nowhere does it say tipping is prohibited or discouraged. If you want to tip, tip. If you don't, don't.

As always, notice it says 'onboard' - tour guides, drivers, etc. are not 'onboard' and therefore should be tipped if you feel a tip is warranted.

What is the dress code onboard the ships?

Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime onboard or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind on the last night of every voyage we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual.

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required. On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the Elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

Again, pretty straightforward. Whether you prefer to see men in jackets or not, they're not required - either in CR or specialty restaurants. Regardless of how you personally feel about polo or Hawaiian shirts, they are, in fact, collared and therefore acceptable under Regent's dress code. You will also notice there is no 'cost' exception for jeans - whether they're $30 or $300 is irrelevant - the policy is no jeans. Using that logic, I could make the argument that my $300 shorts should be acceptable because they're $300...

I've been reading these 'discussions' for over 6 years now and it never ceases to amaze me how ruffled some people get, on both sides of the discussion, whenever these threads pop up.

Seems to me it would just be easier to follow the written policy than it is to try and find loopholes or exceptions. But that's just me.

Edited by UUNetBill
Fix typo

The last three posts made a lot of sense to me. I do want to add a reason why some of us talk about suits, ties, sports jackets, etc. Many people new to Regent have seen the written dress code and have asked what people really wear on the ships. It is fine to say that sports jackets are not required (agree that they are not), however, when you get onboard the ships, you will see men in sports jackets, etc. - especially in the specialty restaurants and at the Captain's Reception.

Some men are comfortable in sports jackets but might leave them at home simply because of the policy. Note: Many European men really dress up on Regent cruises! For this reason, I do mention the fact that at least 1/3 (if not 1/2) of men dress up on certain nights. That is their decision. If someone is taking their first Regent cruise and is comfortable dressing in a polo shirt and slacks, Dockers or any other brand of slacks and a short sleeved or long sleeved shirt - fine. No one will look at them askew or comment on their clothing.

As far as giving our personal preferences, Regent management does read these threads and it never hurts to give our opinions.

P.S. UUNetBill: I do not want to mix the subject of this thread with the other one but did want to comment that if Regent "encourages" people to do something, it can be interrupted to mean that they "discourage" doing the opposite. Regent does not "forbid" anything that I can think of except maybe smoking. However, if you do not follow the policy/guidelines, as with the dress code, you can be asked to return to your suite and dress for dinner - I've seen it happen numerous times.

Edited by Travelcat2

My question is not about jeans or what is allowed but what is most commonly seen at night for men.

With luggage restrictions what they are, and hating to pay those outrageous airline charges, we try to pack as light as possible. Tuxes, suits, and sports jackets are all bulky items. For that matter, so are jeans, so we never pack them. DH has been leaning more towards Guayabera-style shirts recently, which are considered formal wear in many tropical countries.

That said, what do men commonly wear on the formal optional nights on Regent? Not the outliers but the majority?(btw, it's an 18 day cruise; it seems length of cruise impacts the dress code for formal optional)

Thank you.

We see just about everything on "Formal Optional" nights - from tuxedos to polo shirts and slacks. I would say that the majority of men wear slacks and sports jackets or suits - with or without ties. There are a few tuxes and a few that dress as if it were the same as any other day. It really doesn't matter - at long as you are following the dress code and are comfortable with what you are wearing.

During my cruises onboard Regent most men wear sport jackets or suits on formal optional nights. A majority appear to wear ties. Sometimes you see a few tux being worn in some areas of the world. I don't spend a great deal of time looking but I wanted to answer your question.

Seems like someone who comes online to tell us about his "$200 custom tailored denims (not jeans)" that he wears since he "retired at 54" while "sipping Grey Goose martinis" in his "Penthouse" really wants us to know something else about him than his complaints about not being able to be cool and dress down with the jeans wearing folks. :rolleyes:

seems like someone who comes online to tell us about his "$200 custom tailored denims (not jeans)" that he wears since he "retired at 54" while "sipping grey goose martinis" in his "penthouse" really wants us to know something else about him than his complaints about not being able to be cool and dress down with the jeans wearing folks. :rolleyes:

👏

🍸

The dress code arguments...the tipping. Seems that is all that people talk about here. I am guilty of it but now I leave your petty discussions among yourselves. Enjoy!

Suite Travels...Just saw this thread and wanted to make a comment. "I just adore well dressed men". You get it..and I am an Hermes woman. There is just something about the feel of the fabric when you realize you cannot go back ;-)