empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

Could care less? That means they do care. I'm sure they appreciate your compliment. ;)

Glad I'm not the only one who caught that :D

For those of you who think this isn't a big deal and people should just accept the loss of their vacation, and in some cases a significant amount of money, who are you to judge what is and isn't important to someone else? smdh

While it sucks this happens, some of you need to get over it. Truely first world problems. All the crap and problems in the world, and you are going ballistic about having to change your vacation plans from plan a to plan b. some of you are acting like its the apocalypse.

You have a bit of nerve judging people on this. Apocalypse? Maybe not, but a lot of special occasions ruined, out of pocket expenses that will not be recover, and the horrible way of dealing with it from RCCL... I think people are very justified in feeling and acting the way they are. Not everyone has open schedules and free money to make easy plan B changes. How about a little compassion!!

Just wondering if you have anything in place for if the cruise line cancels a cruise(s) like what just happened w/ Empress, and you have to make a decision before you return home. If it's Royal cancelling, do they contact you on the ship?

Anybody made arrangements w/ their TA in case this happens? If so, what?

We bumped into some Pinnacles on Serenade last fall that said they were going to be on the ship over 30 days.

Edited by knittinggirl

I believe he means that the price he has from Empress is $600 less thn the current price on Majesty. Really no savings on what he originally paid. The deals in the beginning were quite good on Empress as I recall.

I guess I am a little confused as to what you are paying for the cruise on Majesty that enables you to save over $600 on the Majesty cruise fare from the cancellation of your Empress sailing.

It would be nice if ScottyG would respond to my post above. I know that you (John&LaLa) have given me what you believe he meant, but it would be nice to have his reply.

What John said is correct. If we had paid for the Majesty cruise we accepted in exchange for our cancelled Empress cruise it would have cost us about $600 more than we paid for the Empress cruise.

Yes, significantly. Majesty's ocean view staterooms are 122-157 sq ft. Empress's ocean view staterooms are 206 sq ft.

Really, web site says 137-206. i'll bet the 206 are few and far between.

JS says 112 - 155 :eek:

OS 184 - 238 W T F :o

Have you been on Empress? I have. :o

While it sucks this happens, some of you need to get over it. Truely first world problems. All the crap and problems in the world, and you are going ballistic about having to change your vacation plans from plan a to plan b. some of you are acting like its the apocalypse.

If you are looking for something other than first world problems here then you are in the wrong place. This is where people come to talk about the multi-million dollar cruise ships that they spend thousands of dollars to sail on. This is where we complain about the stuff that goes wrong. We don't do it on websites that deal with starving children around the world.

Just reading through some of the posts and you would think people died or a genocide has occured....nope, a cruise got cancelled, and they have to make alternate week off not going to work plans.

While this one did not alter my plans, I can strongly sympathize with people that I know that it has....imagine the excitement of your children buying you a "once in a lifetime" cruise as a gift. Imagine that you arrange your work as a housekeeper off 6 weeks in advance, book airfare, hotel and eagerly antipate your first real vacation hoping to be pampered that never happens in your normal life.....for these people, yes one less day on a smaller ship with a smaller cabin is a big disappointment. Because they do not have the credit, they have to accept what they can get. They may never get another shot at a cruise most of us use as a quick get away, not a trip of their life. For them, I wish Royal had honored what they had been promised.:(

I believe he means that the price he has from Empress is $600 less thn the current price on Majesty. Really no savings on what he originally paid. The deals in the beginning were quite good on Empress as I recall.

What John said is correct. If we had paid for the Majesty cruise we accepted in exchange for our cancelled Empress cruise it would have cost us about $600 more than we paid for the Empress cruise.

So, from what you are telling me, you took a booking on one of the Her Majesty sailings that were made available; the price you paid for the Empress cruise was simply applied to the Her Majesty sailing. From my POV, it doesn't matter how 'good' the deals were for the Empress sailing to start with. IF you had to pay for the Her Majesty cruise, you would have to pay $600 more. To me, that gives you absolutely no monetary saving and you were losing a day on the cruise, so what additional compensation did you get if any?

Edited by Paulette3028

So, from what you are telling me, you took a booking on one of the Her Majesty sailings that were made available; the price you paid for the Empress cruise was simply applied to the Her Majesty sailing. From my POV, it doesn't matter how 'good' the deals were for the Empress sailing to start with. IF you had to pay for the Her Majesty cruise, you would have to pay $600 more. To me, that gives you absolutely no monetary saving and you were losing a day on the cruise, so what additional compensation did you get if any?

$100 OBC, I believe

Yes, significantly. Majesty's ocean view staterooms are 122-157 sq ft. Empress's ocean view staterooms are 206 sq ft.

Um, no. Just "no".

Really, web site says 137-206. i'll bet the 206 are few and far between.

JS says 112 - 155 :eek:

OS 184 - 238 W T F :o

Have you been on Empress? I have. :o

John has nailed it.

:)

Check out the fun Empress CD was having while cruises were being cancelled.

And what is your point?

The Empress CD has no input into the decision. He and his entertainment staff, may not have yet been informed of the change, when those pictures were taken. In Cadiz, they may have been getting ready to board the ship to make the sailing across the pond. They were probably going to be getting ready on the sailing to be putting the finishing touches on the production shows and the entertainment to be provided on board. It probably has a negative affect on their employment assignments.

Um, no. Just "no".

John has nailed it.

:)

I have not been on Empress, no. But I based my comparison based on the information on the RCCL site yesterday when I was making my booking decision.

When looking at availability of what we were offered, Majesty lists the oceanview as 122 sf and superior oceanview as 157 sf. Empress lists the oceanview of what we had as 206 sf. I see now that Empress does have a range of oceanview rooms from 137-206 sf. Obviously my perspective was from the oceanview I was giving up.

Edited by publicpersona

I have not been on Empress, no. But I based my comparison based on the information on the RCCL site yesterday when I was making my booking decision.

When looking at availability of what we were offered, Majesty lists the oceanview as 122 sf and superior oceanview as 167 sf. Empress lists the oceanview of what we had as 206 sf. If their website is incorrect, so be it, but that is what it says. Go to their website and pull it up.

Yes. The website says "(137-206 sq. ft.)"

That's easy for you to say if you're not the one being impacted. People plan these trips months or years in advance, scrimping & saving money, scheduling the time off from their jobs, etc.

I would be EXTREMELY P.O.'d if this happened to me, especially with the short notice.

That's easy for you to say if you're not the one being impacted. People plan these trips months or years in advance, scrimping & saving money, scheduling the time off from their jobs, etc.

I would be EXTREMELY P.O.'d if this happened to me, especially with the short notice.

FWIW, those Empress cruises were booked fairly recently. Probably in the last 6 months as I recall

For canceled cruises this close in , RCI's announced options and compensations really show little concern over ruined vacations .

Really RCI ? This close ? Only that ?:mad:

My sentiments exactly! I think RCI should have provided better compensation for all this, at minimum a full refund, including any fees for flight changes, plus 50% off another cruise since they obviously didn't do a good job figuring out their dry dock repair schedule!

My sentiments exactly! I think RCI should have provided better compensation for all this, at minimum a full refund, including any fees for flight changes, plus 50% off another cruise since they obviously didn't do a good job figuring out their dry dock repair schedule!

I think Royal should've offered a bit more in terms of airfare, along with more options for price protected sailings. However, I think that 50% off another cruise is not necessary, as they did give every one the chance to move to another Empress sailing, plus $200/$300 for airfare change fees.

I think Royal should've offered a bit more in terms of airfare, along with more options for price protected sailings. However, I think that 50% off another cruise is not necessary, as they did give every one the chance to move to another Empress sailing, plus $200/$300 for airfare change fees.

The 50% is for the inconvenience & hassle of re-scheduling vacations, flights, the disappointment of having to wait several more weeks or months, etc.

But lets be very clear here....what you are suggesting is NOT what Royal has offered.