What to wear on formal night in Alaska?

HockeyMom44

Does anyone know the name and author of the Cruise Companion book that Princess sells/uses on the cruise?

I would like to try tp purchase it now.

I figure it will be good reading on our cross country flight.

We bought this book (which had a map inside of it): "The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide" 2012 edition by Joe Upton and also, The National Geographic "Alaska's Inside Passage: Destination Map". The book's included map was pretty good, btw. Got both on Amazon. Looking back I would probably skip getting the National Geographic map.

They had the Princess Alaska book for sale on the ship. We thought that the book that we got was as good if not better than the Princess book.

Most people tend to back off on the true formal wear since packing heavier clothes fills suitcases really fast but what you describe would work out well on any cruise.

Couldn't agree more with this! :) These days with airline luggage fees, it's so much more practical to take as little as possible, and formal clothes just add so much weight to luggage. When we first began cruising, we each packed a different outfit for every night. (I just laugh about that now!) 20+ cruises later, we each take maybe 2 pairs of pants (in case something is spilled on the first pair) and a couple of nice tops and ONE pair of dress shoes. I also take some blinged up jewelry to add to it - jewelry takes up very little space. If the "formal wear snobs" don't like it, they don't have to look at us!! LOL! You'll look just fine I promise - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

I always wonder when the question is qualified by asking specifically about Alaska. The Princess definition for "formal" is the same on all of their cruises. Alaska is no different from any other cruise.

• Like 1

I always wonder when the question is qualified by asking specifically about Alaska. The Princess definition for "formal" is the same on all of their cruises. Alaska is no different from any other cruise.

I know. You don't hear about how things are more casual on a Baltics oe New England cruise. The Alaska rumor got started somewhere and refuses to die.

It's true that their suggested rules are no different and so is the enforcement of those "rules".

This is just our observation, but it seems that cruisers do tend to dress up a bit more on the Alaskan cruises. We've noticed the same on the New England cruises. This is in comparison to other areas such as the Caribbean or the Mexican Riviera. Again, this is just our observation and our experience.

Several years ago my wife and I took a cruise tour and brought 2 suitcases. One for our land portion that had jeans, sweatshirts, boots, etc.

The other one wasn't opened until we came aboard and contained suits, gowns, slacks, ties, etc.

It worked out great.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if dress slacks and nice top is ok for ladies at dinner, what do the guys wear? Does DH need a suit for formal nights? Could he wear dress pants, shirt and tie? We are going the beginning of august.

• Like 1

Several years ago my wife and I took a cruise tour and brought 2 suitcases. One for our land portion that had jeans, sweatshirts, boots, etc.

The other one wasn't opened until we came aboard and contained suits, gowns, slacks, ties, etc.

It worked out great.

We've also done this and it does work out great.:D

Just wondering if dress slacks and nice top is ok for ladies at dinner, what do the guys wear? Does DH need a suit for formal nights? Could he wear dress pants, shirt and tie? We are going the beginning of august.

I haven't worn a jacket or tie on Princess in more than 10 years. Most ships will allow just dress pants & a dress shirt and lately some ships dress pants & a Polo.

Next cruise I going with dress pants & a guayabera for a change.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

We have never sailed Princess. Lately we've mostly sailed NCL. NCL doesn't even have formal nights anymore, so it's been a while. We are sailing Alaska in Sept. My daughter is getting married June 30. I bought a sequined gown for her wedding and I plan to wear it on one of the formal nights (maybe even both). Anyway...."back in the day" men could rent a tux on board the ship. Is this possible on Princess? If I'm going to be all decked out my husband is not going to "just wear" a suit.

It's very simple .... No matter the itinerary, formal nights should all be treated the same.

To me that means making the effort to dress at least a little nicer, such as in what one might wear to a very nice restaurant, as compared to what one wears to the dining room on resort casual nights.

And that should apply to both males and females.

Exactly!!! I always wonder why this type of question is asked. Look at the Princess site. Look at the email they send. Every formal night on every ship is the same. It doesn't matter which ship or which itinerary. Princess makes this very clear.

We have never sailed Princess. Lately we've mostly sailed NCL. NCL doesn't even have formal nights anymore, so it's been a while. We are sailing Alaska in Sept. My daughter is getting married June 30. I bought a sequined gown for her wedding and I plan to wear it on one of the formal nights (maybe even both). Anyway...."back in the day" men could rent a tux on board the ship. Is this possible on Princess? If I'm going to be all decked out my husband is not going to "just wear" a suit.

Yes, Princess has a formal wear rental program. You can get details on their web-site. You order in advance and it will be in your cabin when you embark.

Yes he can rent a tux.

I think you should force him to wear whatever you think is appropriate.

It's what most women do anyway.

Hello...

How formal is "formal" night on an Alaskan cruise?

Would a nice top and a pair of black slacks work?

Trying to travel with one 24 inch suitcase.

Thanks for all the help.

what you describe sounds perfectly fine for formal night. Just an FYI formal nights on Princss if you wish to eat in the anytime dining room or traditional dining room have the same dress code no matter which itinerary you're on. I have suitcase envy one 24"suitcase. I wish I could travel that light. I usually have a roller board and at least 28 or 29 inch checked suitcase. I believe for the 2 of us we had three checked bags when we went to Alaska the last time. I need to learn how to pack more efficiently or at least I wish I could.

Hello...

How formal is "formal" night on an Alaskan cruise?

Would a nice top and a pair of black slacks work?

Trying to travel with one 24 inch suitcase.

Thanks for all the help.

Sounds fine to me.

Alaska cruises are port intensive and it always seems that passengers are basically exhausted in the evening. You will see an occasional tux or long, flowing, sparkly evening gown, but it isn't the rule, more the exception. With some departure times from ports being just before prime dining hours, most people do a quick freshen up, put on something that will pass for business formal and call it good.

I did a tux once on an Alaska cruise and I ended up looking like the matri'd. It was a really nice tux but took up a lot of room in my luggage and was heavy to carry around. Since then I've done sport jackets and ties and been just fine. My wife always has a semi-formal dress that she can put on, and we fit in with formal nights just fine.

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2016 at 5:01 PM, HockeyMom44 said:

Does anyone know the name and author of the Cruise Companion book that Princess sells/uses on the cruise?

I would like to try tp purchase it now.

I figure it will be good reading on our cross country flight.

Rachel Cartwright

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2016 at 3:33 AM, floridalover5623 said:

It's true that their suggested rules are no different and so is the enforcement of those "rules".

I love how your avatar shows you in your formal night wear. :classic_tongue:

• Like 1