HAL Ship in Havana Harbor?

sail7seas

I wouldn't get too excited yet. Just because here in the US, cruises and travel is being touted, the same may not be in Cuba. There was a lot of Hoopla about the first flight from RSW to Havana several months ago. The passengers, etc were interviewed and there was a video of the plane taking off. It was a no go when they got to Havana. Cuba didn't even allow them to land! It hasn't been tried since to my knowledge. Even Obama wasn't welcomed by the president of Cuba yesterday!

Just because the Cuban people want it means nothing to the Cuban Government.

I have heard some of the former Cuban refugees have spoken out against the US government giving what they call "legitimacy to the Cuban regime" after so many people were driven from their homes and murdered.

I think I would wait and see before I started booking my vacation there.

BTW - living here in SWFL we get adds all the time for cruises and vacations in Cuba, but the fine print always says (when it opens up).

Good luck to any of you who want to visit. I hope you get to go soon.

My wife & her family members were refuges in 1957 from the 'blessed' Che & Fidel thugs, aka, torturers & killers, & were fortunately able to arrive on US soil unharmed.

If you decide to visit please enjoy yourselves in the Communist 'paradise'. Be sure to watch your back.

Also, understand your travel dollars are funneled to the Cuban military for all business (which includes tourism) purposes on the island.

You might want to consider several other nearby islands. Google some images of Havana & other towns on the island & make yourself a decision.

I suppose moral thought is to be dammed these days IMHO.

Bon Voyage & Good Health otherwise!

Bob:)

Tourists from the rest of the world have been visiting Cuba for decades without major mishaps.....One thing that you will be surprised about is how much the Cubans know about the rest of the world, including the U.S. You will find that most the people who work in the tourist industry in Cuba are very well educated and very proud of their culture and country.

Very true! Our church has two sister churches in Cuba and many in our congregation have visited Cuba, and in turn, those churches have sent their Pastors to visit our church. Opening Cuba will only help those people and they are all for it. I look forward to the day many cruise lines stop in Cuba so we can contribute to Cuba's economic growth.

My wife & her family members were refuges in 1957 from the 'blessed' Che & Fidel thugs, aka, torturers & killers, & were fortunately able to arrive on US soil unharmed.

If you decide to visit please enjoy yourselves in the Communist 'paradise'. Be sure to watch your back.

Also, understand your travel dollars are funneled to the Cuban military for all business (which includes tourism) purposes on the island.

You might want to consider several other nearby islands. Google some images of Havana & other towns on the island & make yourself a decision.

Your strong moral position opinion was transmitted to us via your personal device manufactured where?

(See how that works?)

Your strong moral position opinion was transmitted to us via your personal device manufactured where?

(See how that works?)

Cuba Libre!

Edited by POA1

I hope you didn't think I would be booking a vacation to Cuba anytime soon. For others they may spend their vacation dollars as they wish. I have no interest in going.

Now if Cuba allows their citizens to visit our country and especially here in SWFLA I will be very happy. We can always use more tourist money!!!! But like me visiting it isn't going to happen.

(There is a reason that the citizens of Cuba risk their lives on anything that floats to travel the 90 miles to our shores)

If I didn't visit countries I wouldn't live in, I would have to scrap 90% of places I have visited.

It just represents how lucky we were to be born in wealthier countries.

I am sure locals from other Caribbean countries would also take their chances crossing to get to the states if they were closer, do you not visit all those Caribbean countries? What about Mexico no shortage of people trying to enter.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Cuba Libre!

POA, I enjoy reading your input on these forums very much. And I do receive email alerts to threads in which I participate, so I did see your original response and all I can say is you can rest assured that you could not have possibly been further off the mark with your comments. To suggest that I condone or, worse, support the suppression of freedom and democracy is absurd.

I would however like to experience new cultures and places. As others have pointed out, if people did not travel to places they would not want to live it would be a very sheltered life to live. Cuba is hardly the only place in the world with violations of human rights, and yet people continue to travel. If someone is opposed to going that is fine and they can decide for themselves personally. But please refrain from painting me as some sort of anti-democracy supporter of human suppression

Edited by LMaxwell

If I didn't visit countries I wouldn't live in, I would have to scrap 90% of places I have visited.

It just represents how lucky we were to be born in wealthier countries.

I am sure locals from other Caribbean countries would also take their chances crossing to get to the states if they were closer, do you not visit all those Caribbean countries? What about Mexico no shortage of people trying to enter.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

So true. Travel is a great educator but closed minds may not accept more knowledge. Even the World Cruise goes to countries with appalling human rights issues, and the US does a roaring trade with China. I'm sorry but I find the self-righteous stance about Cuba to be so hypocritical, especially from people who have never set foot in the country.

I agree. I think a 'Whale Tail' will be first of the ships that call in U.S. ports to be seen in Havana Harbor.

Fathom is quite different than the regular/usual cruise which most of us are more likely to sail. I'll be shocked if they fill the ship at those prices for what they are selling.

Like you, I'd like to cruise to Cuba. I was tempted by Fathom, but what put me off even more than their prices was how little information they were willing to give to prospective customers. I liked that they would visit more than just Havana, but I couldn't get a sense of how well it would work. Their website shows a "typical day" visiting things like a family-owned pottery, a cigar factory, an elementary school. (This is because of the rule about visiting Cuba for special reasons, in this case "person-to-person" cultural exchanges) The ship holds 700 people. How are they going to manage these tours, which you MUST go on in order to meet the requirement? I found the lack of information disconcerting. I don't want to pay big bucks for a cruise that turns out to be a constant logistical nightmare.

I considered the Haimark cruise, 10 days on a small ship, but they went out of business before they even got to Cuba. There's also Pearl Cruises, but I don't know if they have permission to go to Cuba. And I wouldn't sail with them anyhow.

There are two sets of permissions needed at this point, US and Cuba. The US gave permission for the cruises first, then they had to get permission from Cuba. That's the reason for the "small print" mentioned in another post. Companies are getting themselves ready to go, but have to wait for the official approval from both countries.

I noticed that the Starwood deal is not to build new hotels, but to take over management of older hotels already in existence. I'm sure they'll renovate/modernize. I just hope they do a sensitive restoration and keep the flavor of the original design/style. Too bad Omni didn't get the deal. They do a good job with older/classic hotels.

And I'd love to see some resistance to US chain restaurants. It can be done. Topsham, is Bermuda still free of Starbucks and Mickey D's?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Apparently Google and some other U.S. companies have traveled to Cuba with President Obama and, of course, the reason for their presence is to get business opportunities..... for better or worse. :rolleyes:

Well, if you want to cruise to cuba now, Star Clippers has dedicated one of their ships to Cuba for the coming season... Of course there are still those pesky restrictions on US citizens..... :(

I have read in previous threads re: Cuba that the people not only don't have money to buy many basic things but also do not have access or availability. If all us prospective cruisers bring along a tote bag of soap and such basics to provide the locals and pass along a bit of cash, how can that not be a good thing? Little as it is, small bits of cash handed over by many becomes meaningful increase to their budgets.

Found a snippit.... they are planning a second cruise terminal, not Havana, but at Ceinfuegos.

Very interesting.

I wonder if Carnival Corp. is building a Margariteville (sp?) or such? :)

I have read in previous threads re: Cuba that the people not only don't have money to buy many basic things but also do not have access or availability. If all us prospective cruisers bring along a tote bag of soap and such basics to provide the locals and pass along a bit of cash, how can that not be a good thing? Little as it is, small bits of cash handed over by many becomes meaningful increase to their budgets.

Canadian tourists have been taking "goodie bags" with them for decades when going to Cuba. Before I went for my two resort vacations, I researched as to what was most needed. I took liquid Tylenol for children, Aspirin, anti-inflammatory otc medications for arthritis, toothpaste, etc. I found out that the ladies cleaning the hotel rooms then either keep what they need or trade these items with other resort workers. When I tried to give my cleaning lady a tip at the end of the trip, she asked instead if I could leave her my extra-wide old running shoes as she also had problem feet. Needless to say, I left her not only my running shoes but insisted she keep the tip. As I have said before, I loved the Cuban people I met, at the resorts and also outside in the town, and always felt safe in Cuba.

BTW, I was born in Eastern Europe under communism and do remember the hardships of daily living and being afraid. My parents were lucky to leave for Canada when we were small. I hate communism but I truly believe that if the US had lifted the embargo after the Soviets left Cuba, it would now be a democratic country. I hope to live long enough to see the Cuban people become free of oppression. The old revolutionaries are dying off and it's time for Cuba to be free.

I visited Cuba last year. Spent 11days touring the country. Never saw a resort. The roads were barely passable in places, rutted and just wide enough for the bus. Our guide and bus driver were not allowed to accompany us on a boat ride for fear they would try to escape. We were met by lots of "beggars" on every stop in any of the bigger towns. For the most part we got chicken, pork, beans and rice. Once in a while a vegetable or salad. Public transportation consists of ancient stock trucks that pack people in and just keep packing people in. That being said...the people were wonderful, the countryside beautiful and I would go back in a minute. While Cuba has been a tourist destination for many years only certain areas are set up for it. The rest of the country has a long way to go. I consider myself very lucky that I was able to spend time visiting their country, conversing with their people and seeing a lot of areas that many tourist never see.

I also did a 15 day tour of Cuba where we spent more time out of Havana than in Havana and I sort of agree w you. I totally agree w the 2nd part of the post - the people were friendly, there is no garbage or trash in the streets or even in the most basic houses and the country is beautiful.

I do disagree with the 1st part of your post. Yes - the roads were not great and there were no multi lane superhighways but many of the roads and bridges in the US are also disintegrating. Also, there is not a lot of traffic so they do not need multi lane superhighways. Our guide and driver was with us for all the places we visited and I felt that the guide was reasonably open regarding the warts of Cuban society. With regard to beggars, we did not see many of them and have you noticed how many we now have at street corners in the US. We were well feed and chicken, pork, beans and rice is what is eaten in many Caribbean countries. We just completed a tour of Costa Rica where we stayed at places where locals also stayed and these items were the staple items for most of our meals. The stock trucks used as buses are functional in a society where people do not own cars and they get people where they have to get to at a reasonable cost.

I totally agree with your last comments. Cuba is a wonderful place to visit and I would go back in a heartbeat. The problem is that most of the people on CC will end up seeing Havana and maybe one more place while rushing back to their ship for meals and to sleep and thus they will never actually see the real Cuba that people like you and I have seen.

DON

Canadian tourists have been taking "goodie bags" with them for decades when going to Cuba. Before I went for my two resort vacations, I researched as to what was most needed. I took liquid Tylenol for children, Aspirin, anti-inflammatory otc medications for arthritis, toothpaste, etc. I found out that the ladies cleaning the hotel rooms then either keep what they need or trade these items with other resort workers. When I tried to give my cleaning lady a tip at the end of the trip, she asked instead if I could leave her my extra-wide old running shoes as she also had problem feet. Needless to say, I left her not only my running shoes but insisted she keep the tip. As I have said before, I loved the Cuban people I met, at the resorts and also outside in the town, and always felt safe in Cuba.

BTW, I was born in Eastern Europe under communism and do remember the hardships of daily living and being afraid. My parents were lucky to leave for Canada when we were small. I hate communism but I truly believe that if the US had lifted the embargo after the Soviets left Cuba, it would now be a democratic country. I hope to live long enough to see the Cuban people become free of oppression. The old revolutionaries are dying off and it's time for Cuba to be free.

Wonderful post.

Thank you for it. :)

I agree that 50 plus years of embargo has hurt the people greatly.

Arghh.... ugly politics.

<snip>

I totally agree with your last comments. Cuba is a wonderful place to visit and I would go back in a heartbeat. The problem is that most of the people on CC will end up seeing Havana and maybe one more place while rushing back to their ship for meals and to sleep and thus they will never actually see the real Cuba that people like you and I have seen.

DON

I cannot imagine eating on the ship if I have the chance to eat ashore in Cuba. I have waited many years to do so. :)

However, I will sleep aboard. ;) I am a senior, a widow, and no matter where in world I travel, I have to do what makes me feel the most comfortable.

Edited by sail7seas

I cannot imagine eating on the ship if I have the chance to eat ashore in Cuba. I have waited many years to do so. :)

However, I will sleep aboard. ;) I am a senior, a widow, and no matter where in world I travel, I have to do what makes me feel the most comfortable.

As a solo female,I never felt unsafe at the resorts in Cuba. In Havana, however, as in other big cities, I would also feel safer on a ship. I really look forward to seeing Havana while on a cruise.

I also did a 15 day tour of Cuba where we spent more time out of Havana than in Havana and I sort of agree w you. I totally agree w the 2nd part of the post - the people were friendly, there is no garbage or trash in the streets or even in the most basic houses and the country is beautiful.

I do disagree with the 1st part of your post. Yes - the roads were not great and there were no multi lane superhighways but many of the roads and bridges in the US are also disintegrating. Also, there is not a lot of traffic so they do not need multi lane superhighways. Our guide and driver was with us for all the places we visited and I felt that the guide was reasonably open regarding the warts of Cuban society. With regard to beggars, we did not see many of them and have you noticed how many we now have at street corners in the US. We were well feed and chicken, pork, beans and rice is what is eaten in many Caribbean countries. We just completed a tour of Costa Rica where we stayed at places where locals also stayed and these items were the staple items for most of our meals. The stock trucks used as buses are functional in a society where people do not own cars and they get people where they have to get to at a reasonable cost.

DON

Anytime someone takes a cruise it's pretty clear they will not see every square inch of where they visit. Some people enjoy land vacations, some enjoy a cruise. I can't understand why those that prefer to do land feel the need to make remarks about those that choose to visit on a cruise. Do what makes you happy and others will do what makes them happy. I'd love to eat ashore but if others don't why should anyone care?