Boardwalk or Ocean View Balcony?

This will be our first time on an Oasis class ship and we're having 2nd thoughts about our Boardwalk balcony cabin on our upcoming cruise.

We're thinking we might miss the views and sound of the ocean not to mention the possibility of lack of privacy in a Boardwalk cabin.

Our cabin is located towards the aft and will have a good view of the Aqua Theatre but not sure if that's enough to pass up an OV balcony.

We understand there are pros and cons to both but we'd like to get some thoughts and opinions from anyone who's experienced both types of cabins.

I have experienced both and vastly prefer Oceanview, for the reasons that you mention.

"Loss of privacy" is an understatement.

On the other hand, if the price difference is great and would keep you from sailing, then by all means go for the Boardwalk view balcony cabin.

This will be our first time on an Oasis class ship and we're having 2nd thoughts about our Boardwalk balcony cabin on our upcoming cruise.

We're thinking we might miss the views and sound of the ocean not to mention the possibility of lack of privacy in a Boardwalk cabin.

Our cabin is located towards the aft and will have a good view of the Aqua Theatre but not sure if that's enough to pass up an OV balcony.

We understand there are pros and cons to both but we'd like to get some thoughts and opinions from anyone who's experienced both types of cabins.

There are few enough places to see outside on an Oasis class ship, I'd hate not to have the ocean view.

Had both.. Prefer the Oceanview. Too much light from boardwalk, not enough privacy in the room. No ocean view, or sounds/smells..

We are trying a Central Park view on our fist Oasis cruise in November. I'm really excited about this as it IS a change from our norm. I figure, how will I know if I like it if I don't even try. I'm on the ship so it can't 'ruin' my vacation. Its just something new. Also, they obviously sell so they must not be that bad.

Give it a try and make your own decision. If you find its not your cup of tea you will know for next time. If you don't try, you will never know.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks to you all for your input. We talked it over and the privacy issue was most important to DH. He likes to have his coffee in the morning on the balcony and doesn't want to be "on display", lol.

It seems the new lower price for OV balcony was only for new bookings but I had the nicest RCCL reps who worked hard to get me the OV balcony that I requested and since the price went down for the BW cabin we were giving up she let me change for no additional cost.

That's good customer service in my book!:D

Ocean view for us I don't think we would like the balconies on the inside not enough privacy and for me I enjoy the scenery of the ocean, the sun rises, the sun sets. I work with people so I enjoy the peace and quiet. Your mind can just relax. People watching can be done anywhere else without them watching me in my cabin...IMO.

I feel the oasis class lacks (the only thing it lacks) is an ocean view. When your in the promenade or "neighborhoods" there is no big portholes like most ships have therefore ocean views are lacking that's why having an ov balcony really completes that ship experience imho.

There are few enough places to see outside on an Oasis class ship, I'd hate not to have the ocean view.

Booked my first RCCL + Oasis cruise and definitely "had to" have Oceanview for this reason.

We are trying a Central Park view on our first Oasis cruise in November. I'm really excited about this as it IS a change from our norm. I figure, how will I know if I like it if I don't even try. I'm on the ship so it can't 'ruin' my vacation. Its just something new. Also, they obviously sell so they must not be that bad.
My only experience with an Ocean View Balcony was when my grandson & I shared a cabin connecting with my DD & DSIL. DSIL is wheelchair-bound, and the accessible balcony was his dream come true. He spent many, many hours out there. I enjoyed an hour or so each afternoon, visiting with DD & DSIL on their balcony, but really didn't use the balcony attached to mine & DGS's room. (Headed North on the way back to FL, the direct sun in the afternoon chased even my Sun-Loving DSIL inside to the A/C.) While onboard in Feb. 2015, I went to book an interior cabin for my younger daughter and myself for Feb. 2016. We had sailed together once before in an interior, and we got along just fine, and the lower price was appealing. The sales person pointed out that we could get a Central Park balcony for the same price as the interior (when considering the $300 OBC that came with it).

We sailed in the CP balcony about 6 weeks ago, and we loved it! Privacy wasn't an issue. Very few of the people in the opposing balconies spent any time on them, and they were far enough away that we didn't feel "watched". We sat out in the afternoon and evening, playing Scrabble and cards. We enjoyed looking out on all the greenery, and sometimes people-watching the walkers in the park. We were on the lowest deck of CP balconies (Deck 10), and walkers couldn't really see up into our balcony. We could sometimes hear music from the pool deck, but it was only bad one afternoon. In the daytime, we enjoyed the recorded birdsongs, which changed to crickets in the evening. There was also a violin/piano duo playing in the garden most evenings. I only go to the Boardwalk for the aqua shows, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like a Boardwalk balcony, but we loved the Central Park cabin so much that we've booked it again for Feb. 2017 & Feb. 2018.

DH is very happy with our decision to change to OV balcony. He says he can now feel relaxed to go out there in his bathrobe (or whatever :p) and have his coffee in the morning.

And even happier there was no price increase!

We love the sound of the ocean, watching the sunrises and sunsets, seeing other ships, and our next port coming into view.:)

Privacy is the main issue!

Not just the people across from you but the people above and below can see you.

Also, if you scratch your butt or do anything else "interesting" you can expect a video posted on YouTube almost immediately! :eek:

Privacy is the main issue!

Not just the people across from you but the people above and below can see you.

Also, if you scratch your butt or do anything else "interesting" you can expect a video posted on YouTube almost immediately! :eek:

Yikes! Never thought about that, haha!

We've had a BW balcony booked for almost two years for our Oasis cruise next month, and after agonizing about this very same thing for the past few weeks, I switched to an OV yesterday.

I also like to sit outside and have a cup of tea in the morning, and wasn't nuts about doing so with wild hair in full view of anyone who happened to glance over, but more than that I thought we'd miss the ocean. We had booked 11729, so presumably we had the best of both worlds with the view of the aqua theater and water behind it, but I just couldn't stop thinking about the fun water view I've become used to.

Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in, for what it's worth.:rolleyes: We are booked in the last aft BW balcony on Deck 12 on the Harmony in October, 2017 and are greatly looking forward to it! We had the same cabin on the Allure and loved the location! It was great overlooking the aqua theater and some of the BW activities, as well as the great ocean view at the back of the ship! There is no privacy issue for us as one can easily close the curtains and I really don't care if someone wants to look at this old lady on her balcony drinking her morning coffee or whatnot!:p I can think of lots better things to look at. It all boils down to personal preference. I enjoy watching the various goings-on while on a ship vs ocean waves. We live on a lake and I enjoy watching the water and people enjoying skiing, etc., on a daily basis, so that may be part of my reasoning. In any event, cruising is always enjoyable for us, no matter what cabin we get!!!:cool:

I don't know what the measurements are but the balconies on the Boardwalk sure as heck felt a lot bigger than the one we had on the ocean. Might be just a mental thing because you get the curve in the railing so you can hang out from it more but we had all 4 of us sitting on one balcony table on the boardwalk and I don't think that would work on the ocean view balconies

Personally I wouldn't take an inside balcony if you paid me. Maybe if you comped the whole cruise...

My idea of a relaxing breakfast on the balcony in my bathrobe would be pretty much ruined by looking up and seeing 50 rooms full of people that are probably staring back at me. No thank you. If I can't have an ocean view balcony, I'd rather have an inside cabin and save the cash.

I would take an oceanview over a boardwalk balcony any day.

We sailed the Oasis in a balcony facing the ocean 1 week (10190), then the next, we sailed the Allure in a boardwalk balcony (deck 9, next to last one). We REALLY missed the sound of the ocean, and the privacy. We wanted to try out the Boardwalk balconies, and decided they are not for us. Ocean facing balcony for us.