Seriously considering cancelling my S America 2018 cruise

scousersue

Hi Northern Aurora,

I remember the name from the roll call... and we probably met on the Connections Party. Yes, it was a great cruise and we will do the continuation from Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale some day.

Also enjoyed meeting Mickey Live on board and his narrations. Still in touch with him.

Whilst on our last cruise ( S Caribbean) we booked the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires trip in Jan 2018.

we secured a great cabin on the Penthouse Deck, the cost included pre paid gratuities and classic drinks package - so seemed a good deal.

But coming from the UK this is going to be an expensive cruise for us when including flights, hotels either side of cruise etc etc.

I have read some reviews and am now concluding the following:

a) The weather in January could be cold/wet/rough seas?

b) The excursions can be long drives with a short amount of time spent at actual sites?

c) Infinity isn't at her best these days? ( we sailed on her some years ago)

d) we have always thought it would be great to go to S America, but maybe we should consider a land-based option?

The reviews on this Forum are really making us consider cancelling. :confused:

I haven't gone through all of the responses but i have seen that you have gotten some major push-back. Let me add to the chorus...

We have not done the exact cruise you are considering. For our third cruise ever, first on Celebrity, we did the 14-night cruise from Buenos Aires to Tierra del Fuego, Antarctica, Falklands, and return. I cannot say enough good about the ship and the crew! It was an absolutely fabulous trip which led to our signing up for a 2nd Infinity cruise, this one from Fort Lauderdale to BA. Again an incredible experience. A few comments...

a. You will fly to Santiago. An ok large city, the museum of pre-columbian history/art is very well done. But I would move on from there.

b. Now that you have gone that far, fly to Easter Island for a few days. Spend at least 4 days on the island.

c. Spend at least 2 days in Valparaiso pre-cruise. The graphic art throughout the city is incredibly vibrant, restaurants are good...

d. In Ushuaia definitely do the Pira Tours Walk With Penguins tour. Yes, it is a bit of a ride, it is not a short taxi ride across town, but well worth it.

p603008095-4.jpg

e. If the itinerary takes you to the Falklands, contact Estancia Tours and take the very long very bumpy Land Rover ride to Volunteer Point. The highlight of the cruise, the highlight of my traveling experience. And I have traveled extensively.

p836254288-3.jpg

f. Spend a few days post-cruise in Argentina. Buenos Aires is the "Paris of South America" - well labeled. A bit faded but still a major city with parks and restaurants and museums and art galleries and leather-goods shops and anything else you can think of. And tango. A trip to Iguazu Falls is not that complicated, and since you are in the neighborhood, why not?

p188635573-4.jpg

p318035856-4.jpg

My ideal dream cruise would be to repeat our 14-day BA-to-Antarctica followed by Around The Horn (reverse of what you are considering) followed by a return to the States via Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Panama, Colombia, Florida. (Reverse of what we did last December). If I raised my sights a bit higher, I would board the Infinity and never leave her. Wonderful crew, comfortable ship that travels to interesting places. What could be better? I hope you see your way to your contemplated cruise and that you have as much enjoyment as I have had!

As far as weather is concerned, this was not the Caribbean. In early-mid February, we had temperatures in the mid 60°sF in Ushuaia and a bit warmer in the Falklands. Warmer of course further north along the coast Argentina.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Whilst on our last cruise ( S Caribbean) we booked the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires trip in Jan 2018.

we secured a great cabin on the Penthouse Deck, the cost included pre paid gratuities and classic drinks package - so seemed a good deal.

But coming from the UK this is going to be an expensive cruise for us when including flights, hotels either side of cruise etc etc.

b) The excursions can be long drives with a short amount of time spent at actual sites?

d) we have always thought it would be great to go to S America, but maybe we should consider a land-based option?

We have done 2 cruises out of Buenos Aires. One around the horn to Chili and the 2nd one out of Buenos Aires to Antarctica and back to Buenos Aires.

a1) If you look at a map and chart your travel, you will be going from warm/hot weather in Buenos Aires to much cooler/colder air as you approach the South pole area. We brought clothes that allowed us to layer.

a2) Weather cannot be predicted or controlled on a specific sailing. We went to Stanley in the Falklands once and missed it on our second cruise. We had calm seas on one sailing and a couple of rough patches on the second.

The bottom line for us was we understood the potential for weather and wanted to go to Antarctica and go around the horn to Chili. We were pleased and glad we did GO!

b) cannot recall specifically a very long drive on any of our excursions. We did take one to a penguin rookery (sp) and that was our longest as I recall. To see the penguins on the beach and walk around them was worth any extra drive time we may have had.

c) Infinity is getting older when compared to the S class ships, but Celebrity upgrades/updates her and she was updated/upgraded, I think, in the last year or so to many of the S class features/benefits.

d) can't offer anything for this comment. It is a personal choice and not sure what alternative you are considering with that comment.

Never sailed on NCL so cannot comment of differences and pricing. It is a big expense and there are some unknowns, but that is also true if you were sailing to the Caribbean. We have missed numerous tendering ports, have been diverted away from 3 Mexican ports due to H1N1 virus in 2009, so things happen. We still had a great cruise in 2009 on Infinity as it so happened it was a Panama Canal cruise. Our 3 replacement ports were: San Diego arriving at 3 pm, Catalina Island off LA, and arriving in SF at noon the day before our scheduled arrival. Thus we got to visit SF and sleep on ship for one night.

One of our best cruises. We went under Golden Gate bridge around noon time in bright sun as we came into SF. Thus we lost one thing, but gained something very neat too.

Wishing you the best in your travels!

Edited by shipshape sam

We did the SA/Antarctica cruise on the Infinity in 2010... An amazing experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146083

Lots of photos!

South America is an incredible place... Well worth a visit!

I think we were on your sailing. Did you miss Stanley and also we did 2 attempts at getting to Antarctica, but once there is was a National Geographic day there.

I think we were on your sailing. Did you miss Stanley and also we did 2 attempts at getting to Antarctica, but once there is was a National Geographic day there.

Yes! That was it! A National Geographic day it was... The inaugural visit... Celebrity's first sailing to Antarctica

We were looking at doing one of these cruises in early '18.

The cheapest way from Uk I found was to book a return to Madrid with EasyJet then book a separate flight to BA. That worked out a bit cheaper.

We are undecided whether to do that or the Panama Canal in October '17

We have wanted to do this itinerary for a long time and decided to book for February 2017, but when we looked at Celebrity pricing it was very high. We wanted a suite as this a special cruise and ended up booking Princess for $7,000 less for a comparable suite from what the Celebrity Suite on the Infinity would have cost. The fare does not include beverage packages or tips, but those things certainly won't cost us $7,000 over a two week period! As for weather, we know a number of people who have done this itinerary on various lines, and have been told to expect hot in BA and Valparaiso, and anything in between. Layering is best.

GottaKnowWhen .....Thank you for your reply. ! love the photos. and shipshape Sam, and others. great suggestions... I am looking at typical flights options using Jan 2017 as an example. I agree that Easter Island and Iguazu Falls would be great additions..... need to start saving up ! BigEck ... will look at the Madrid option. Thanks

GottaKnowWhen .....Thank you for your reply. ! love the photos. and shipshape Sam, and others. great suggestions... I am looking at typical flights options using Jan 2017 as an example. I agree that Easter Island and Iguazu Falls would be great additions..... need to start saving up ! BigEck ... will look at the Madrid option. Thanks

Scousersue - I am pleased to have been of some help.

A correction and some links to amplify my comments...

First - I referenced a second trip "from Fort Lauderdale to BA." In my dreams! Our second South America cruise was Lauderdale only as far as Valparaiso. I have yet to do the around-the-Horn that you are considering and someday I hope to do that as part of a b2b2b starting in BA, repeating our Feb 2015 trip, then around the Horn to Valpo, then on back up to the States. I have heard many good things about the Chilean fjords and would like to see them...

Second, here are a few links.

a. My trip report on our Feb 2015 trip with additional detail on BA and Iguazu; http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=503280&et_cid=2183449&et_rid=138704681&et_referrer=Boards

b. A link to the portion of my online gallery which includes both the Feb 2015 trip to BA and south and the Dec 2015 trip to Chile and Easter Island:

http://photos.stanhalpin.com/f1032782998

Including shots of Easter Island and Valparaiso...

p1797195295-3.jpg

p1711597192-4.jpg

p1788308199-3.jpg

I hope I have provided some temptation!

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

My $.02 since we just returned from the Infinity going around the horn from Buenos Aires to Santiago a week and a half ago....

You could have never made me believe the Infinity was as old as reported. The ship was in great ship, and what issues developed maintenance wise, were taken care ASAP. In addition, I have never, NEVER, experienced more attentive, friendly, sincere seeming staff in any of our other 15 cruises. If it was an act, they deserve an award.

We rarely cruise the Caribbean anymore, focusing on the more unique itineraries, i.e. Baltics, Mediterranean, Alaska, etc. and due to the excursions we did, some with 2 hour drives, this cruise stands above any other we have ever done. Driving 2 hours and taking a Zodiac boat to a remote Island with the Pira Tours staff in Ushuaia to be the only 20 people to walk among the Penguins while the ship excursions anchored off the shore will be a memory I will never forget. We scrimped and saved to do this cruise and a pre-cruise trip to Iguazu Falls, and I have no regrets, other than not also tagging on a trip to Macchu Pichu after.

The flight from the Northern US was grueling....really grueling, but it is what it is. If we could have afforded Business class, I would do it in a heartbeat, but, we couldn't and didn't.

I might be a little unusual, but I was really hoping we might see Cape Horn at her meanest. It's part of the charm of saying you sailed around Cape Horn (well, not really around it as I found out, but right up to it and then back through the Beagle Channel). As it was, we had 60 MPH winds that forced the Star Princess to turn back and unless you went outside on your balcony or the decks, you would have never known. We left BA in 80 degree temps, got to Ushuaia in high 30's, and returned to Valparaiso/Santiago to 80's again. Makes packing a little interesting, but again, that's part of the adventure.

I can't for the life of me think of any reason that I would tell someone NOT to take this journey, but that is for each individual to decide.

You guys are so funny. Gruelling from North America to South America. Really!! Try living in Australia. We have been to South America twice, best cruises ever, don' think about cancelling. I think you would regret it for ever.

You guys are so funny. Gruelling from North America to South America. Really!! Try living in Australia. We have been to South America twice, best cruises ever, don' think about cancelling. I think you would regret it for ever.

I flew Business class both ways from LAX to South America and still thought it was grueling. I got a bad respiratory infection on board the ship so glad to be able to sleep on the way home. But SA was great and I would like to return.

I have to admire the stamina of the Aussies but at least when you travel you are usually gone alot longer than we are.

Check out my recent review from our Feb 2016, South America, Infinity sailing. It was the trip of a life time. We loved it.

I flew Business class both ways from LAX to South America and still thought it was grueling. I got a bad respiratory infection on board the ship so glad to be able to sleep on the way home. But SA was great and I would like to return.

I have to admire the stamina of the Aussies but at least when you travel you are usually gone alot longer than we are.

ptrpapens, were you on my cruise? 28 Feb? I had same respiratory infection and had to see doc in Santiago for antibiotics, after xray found out it went into pneumonia!

Other than that, we loved the trip! The infection didn't slow me down till I got to Santiago and had to extend my stay 5 days to rest!

• 9 months later...

Interesting thread. DW and I are debating the early February BA-Antarctic trip as I type. I can talk myself in, and I can talk myself out. We rounded the Horn last year, so we have a fair idea of general sea conditions. We're native of the Midwest, so threats of "cold" and snow aren't showstoppers, either.

Certainly, it's a new, unique destination - a wonderful trip by most accounts. Love to visit BA. OTOH, airfare isn't cheap. The flights each way long and convoluted with extended layovers in some cases, or very short ones in others. And there are all those "ifs" regarding the weather, etc. As DW points out, there are very few days in port.

The choice is ours...

Interesting thread. DW and I are debating the early February BA-Antarctic trip as I type. I can talk myself in' date=' and I can talk myself out. We rounded the Horn last year, so we have a fair idea of general sea conditions. We're native of the Midwest, so threats of "cold" and snow aren't showstoppers, either.

Certainly, it's a new, unique destination - a wonderful trip by most accounts. Love to visit BA. OTOH, airfare isn't cheap. The flights each way long and convoluted with extended layovers in some cases, or very short ones in others. And there are all those "ifs" regarding the weather, etc. As DW points out, there are very few days in port.

The choice is ours...[/quote']

We loved this cruise in Feb 2015. Our 3rd cruise, first one with Celebrity.

We had good weather throughout, too warm actually in Ushuaia and the penguins were a bit heat stressed, and then similar but better in the Falklands. Cool enough in the Antarctica region for the ship's juggler to get in some practice using snowballs. No extreme seas.

Flights? We flew DTW to ATL, then an overnight to BA. Coming back it was an overnight to ATL, then DTW. Not much different from a flight to Europe but with fewer hours time difference.

Few days in port? Yes! That was part of what we enjoyed. But if you want off-the-ship entertainment, note that the day in and around Paradise Bay is not a classic sea day, but more like a day in the inside passage or off of Hubbard Glacier. I.e., you may still be on the ship, but there is lots to look at outside.

We are going back in that direction in 2018-2019. The itineraries (and our budget) won't quite accommodate everything we would like to do and we will pass on a repeat of the Antarctica trip, but if I win a nice lottery in the meantime, I'll be back! It was a great trip.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

My $.02 since we just returned from the Infinity going around the horn from Buenos Aires to Santiago a week and a half ago....

You could have never made me believe the Infinity was as old as reported. The ship was in great ship, and what issues developed maintenance wise, were taken care ASAP. In addition, I have never, NEVER, experienced more attentive, friendly, sincere seeming staff in any of our other 15 cruises. If it was an act, they deserve an award.

We rarely cruise the Caribbean anymore, focusing on the more unique itineraries, i.e. Baltics, Mediterranean, Alaska, etc. and due to the excursions we did, some with 2 hour drives, this cruise stands above any other we have ever done. Driving 2 hours and taking a Zodiac boat to a remote Island with the Pira Tours staff in Ushuaia to be the only 20 people to walk among the Penguins while the ship excursions anchored off the shore will be a memory I will never forget. We scrimped and saved to do this cruise and a pre-cruise trip to Iguazu Falls, and I have no regrets, other than not also tagging on a trip to Macchu Pichu after.

The flight from the Northern US was grueling....really grueling, but it is what it is. If we could have afforded Business class, I would do it in a heartbeat, but, we couldn't and didn't.

I might be a little unusual, but I was really hoping we might see Cape Horn at her meanest. It's part of the charm of saying you sailed around Cape Horn (well, not really around it as I found out, but right up to it and then back through the Beagle Channel). As it was, we had 60 MPH winds that forced the Star Princess to turn back and unless you went outside on your balcony or the decks, you would have never known. We left BA in 80 degree temps, got to Ushuaia in high 30's, and returned to Valparaiso/Santiago to 80's again. Makes packing a little interesting, but again, that's part of the adventure.

I can't for the life of me think of any reason that I would tell someone NOT to take this journey, but that is for each individual to decide.

This post just got me even more excited about our SA cruise on Infinity!:) What we didnt know at the time we booked it is this will be Infinity's last SA cruise so Im sure it will be a special one.

We are also booked with Pira, glad you enjoyed it so much.

Steve

Interesting thread. DW and I are debating the early February BA-Antarctic trip as I type. I can talk myself in' date=' and I can talk myself out. ....

Certainly, it's a new, unique destination - a wonderful trip by most accounts. Love to visit BA. OTOH, airfare isn't cheap. ....

The choice is ours...[/quote']

We were on the February 15, 2015 Buenos Aires to Antarctica and then back to Buenos Aires cruise, followed by the BA to Valparaiso and Valparaiso to Ft. Lauderdale (for a B2B2B). We would do a repeat of that exact itinerary in a heartbeat.

We love Buenos Aires, and the port stops on the South American itineraries are so varied and interesting. Actually, we will board the Infinity on March 5th this year for the start of another B2B2B series (we will leave the ship in San Diego), so will be repeating the middle and final legs of that 2015 trip. If the itinerary prior to the March 5th had been another Antarctic trip we would have included that leg too.

We are flying out of Alaska. We will do what we did in 2015 -- fly down to Miami, spend a few days and then take the flight down to Buenos Aires. Air fare just "is what it is."

This post just got me even more excited about our SA cruise on Infinity!:) What we didnt know at the time we booked it is this will be Infinity's last SA cruise so Im sure it will be a special one.

We are also booked with Pira, glad you enjoyed it so much.

Steve

On our 2015 South American cruises we were in Ushuaia twice, and booked the Pira Tours trip to Harberton Estancia for both port calls. My husband is a serious birder, and we were very impressed with the Pira Tours operation during both port calls. While in the Falklands we were on the Patrick Watts excursion out to Volunteer Point, and were actually more impressed with Pira Tours.

I have cruising friends who are currently doing this cruise on Infinity as a B2B2B. They're loving it.

Did they say anything about a noro virus breakout ? Im on the next cruise starting Sunday and Celebrity sent me an email today about it. (I started a thread about this also.)