Beware, No Power Strips Allowed

Even if you don't have something detained check out the table, it can be quite amusing. When we got off Jewel in San Juan in 2014, there was brand new wafflemaker still in the box.

So you are telling me that the blender I brought on board a cruise 16 years ago would be taken away from me if I did it today?

Sad how times have changed!

I know what I used the blender for but what does one do with a waffle maker in their cabin?

Cheers

The reason I bring a power strip is because all my devices use a UK plug, and to have an adapter for each of them is ridiculous.

Overnight I charge my phone, and watch and camera batteries. Granted on Q Class I can as I can charge both my watch and phone from the usb, however all other ships I can't. Unless they are willing to supply power strips, then they better start putting more plugs in the cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use all the items everyday through out the day for different reasons. As such, they are charged daily and some take long to fully charge.

I don't know when you have time to take pictures when use use and fully discharge 2 phones, a tablet, and a watch?

So you are telling me that the blender I brought on board a cruise 16 years ago would be taken away from me if I did it today?

Sad how times have changed!

I know what I used the blender for but what does one do with a waffle maker in their cabin?

Cheers

It was my pure speculation that someone was shopping in SJ the day before the cruise and saw a great deal on the waffle maker and couldn't pass ot up. We don't know if they also took batter and syrup on board.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The reason I bring a power strip is because all my devices use a UK plug, and to have an adapter for each of them is ridiculous.

Overnight I charge my phone, and watch and camera batteries. Granted on Q Class I can as I can charge both my watch and phone from the usb, however all other ships I can't. Unless they are willing to supply power strips, then they better start putting more plugs in the cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On most ships, the 110-V outlets are designed to pop out so you can get to the 220-V outlet underneath. The crew uses 220-V equipment to clean/service the rooms.

Edited by orville99

Last year I forgot about my multi-tool in my shave kit... bag was detained and I had to go get it (minus the multi-tool). At the end of the Cruise when departing I stopped at the table and they returned my multi-tool. I was amazed to see a "rice cooker" on the table... numerous Irons, and prob 6-8 full size box fans...

On most ships, the 110-V outlets are designed to pop out so you can get to the 220-V outlet underneath. The crew uses 220-V equipment to clean/service the rooms.

Interesting I did not know you could do that. Has anyone else did this?

That would mean that the 110v outlet has a transformer in it to reduce the voltage, and I would like to see one that could handle the 15-20 amp rating the outlet has and still fit into the 220v European outlet. The 110v and 220v outlets are wired separately, have a separate breaker panel for each group of cabins, and a separate distribution board in each deck. Yes, the crew use the existing 220v outlet for the vacuums, etc. What you might have seen was a 110v plug adapter stuck in a 220v outlet, but even with the US style flat prong holes, this will still supply 220v. While this is fine for dual-voltage equipment (100-240vac), if you mistakenly plug a 110v only appliance in this outlet, it will at the very least stop working, or will overheat.

That would mean that the 110v outlet has a transformer in it to reduce the voltage, and I would like to see one that could handle the 15-20 amp rating the outlet has and still fit into the 220v European outlet. The 110v and 220v outlets are wired separately, have a separate breaker panel for each group of cabins, and a separate distribution board in each deck. Yes, the crew use the existing 220v outlet for the vacuums, etc. What you might have seen was a 110v plug adapter stuck in a 220v outlet, but even with the US style flat prong holes, this will still supply 220v. While this is fine for dual-voltage equipment (100-240vac), if you mistakenly plug a 110v only appliance in this outlet, it will at the very least stop working, or will overheat.

When we get on our next cruise in four weeks, I will take and post pictures.

BTW, the outlet in the bathroom is a dual-voltage outlet by design.

Both my Droid Turbos and all three of my iPads have USB cables for charging. I would suggest buying a cheap USB hub and use that for charging multiple devices instead of power strip. They take way less space and security couldn't care less.

Edited by Big_G

Thanks for the info. I'd been wondering how many hours were in a day.

It can actually vary between 23 & 25 depending on which way your transatlantic ship is head. Of course if you are flying, things can really get messed up.

The issue with power strips is the surge protection. If you have multi outlets that clearly do not have surge protection you should be okay. Try something like this ...

11560.png

325727_2.jpg

8738314211640p?$478$

This is what the outlets on the Allure look like ...

C6588DSC_8127_zps8d3f0fd7.jpg

When we get on our next cruise in four weeks, I will take and post pictures.

BTW, the outlet in the bathroom is a dual-voltage outlet by design.

Yes, and the bathroom unit has a transformer behind it, and is limited in its amperage, so the transformer can be sized smaller for the lower amps. A power transformer for 15 amps 220v has to handle 3300 watts (plus safety factor), and would generate a lot of heat back there in the wall cavity. I would be very interested in the photos, as I've never heard of this, and don't think it's particularly safe. If there is a manufacturer's name and/or model number on the piece you pry out, if you could photograph that as well, it would help with my research.

It can actually vary between 23 & 25 depending on which way your transatlantic ship is head. Of course if you are flying, things can really get messed up.

The issue with power strips is the surge protection. If you have multi outlets that clearly do not have surge protection you should be okay. Try something like this ...

Actually, I checked the RCI website for prohibited items, and electrical extension cords are there. Not sure how recent a change.

Edited by chengkp75

This is what the outlets on the Allure look like ...

And Oasis

Actually, I checked the RCI website for prohibited items, and electrical extension cords are there. Not sure how recent a change.

Interesting. I've never had a problem with my extension cords before. I'll see what happens in a few weeks.

We've taken 2 of these on every cruise to date without any problem - usually pack in our carry-on. Inexpensive and great units. There are actually several models of these devices out there if you want to search the web (different amp ratings). Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO

619npNbFQZL._SL1500_.jpg

We've taken 2 of these on every cruise to date without any problem - usually pack in our carry-on. Inexpensive and great units. There are actually several models of these devices out there if you want to search the web (different amp ratings). Here's one:

And as I will repeat, having taken these on ships before "without any problem" doesn't make them any less of a surge protector, which regardless of RCI's wording, is the major reason behind the prohibition on extension cords and power strips. The simple fact is that the more often you subject the surge protection circuit to shipboard wiring, the more the circuitry "ages", and the more likely it is to fail. I cannot stop anyone from taking these onboard, for sure, but it amazes me when people will ignore warnings from the USCG and the NFPA, just because "I've never had a problem".

Don't do this because you can get away with it, do it for your safety. I don't know how much more clear I can say it: use your Belkin in your hotel room, use your Belkin at home, but don't use your Belkin onboard ship.

Interesting. I've never had a problem with my extension cords before. I'll see what happens in a few weeks.

It is very likely that they will give extension cords and power strips to those that ask, they just want to be sure there are no surge protectors, and the cord is in good condition and capable of carrying the amperage.

Funny how people seem to know how many outlets everyone else needs.

Our family of 4 has 4 iPads, 4 apple watches, 4 iPhones, 2 kindles, 1 GoPro, 1 extra GoPro batter charger, 1 electric razor, 1 laptop, 3 Bluetooth headphones.

So 2 outlets per cabin isn't enough. True you don't need all day to charge, and the kindle in particular goes a long time between charges, but who wants to constantly juggle everything?

We bring one of the Belkin USB chargers, 6 USB ports, no regular outlets. We do put in carry on just in case, don't want to wait in line at the naughty room. No problem 2 years ago.

Edited by DrD

And as I will repeat, having taken these on ships before "without any problem" doesn't make them any less of a surge protector, which regardless of RCI's wording, is the major reason behind the prohibition on extension cords and power strips. The simple fact is that the more often you subject the surge protection circuit to shipboard wiring, the more the circuitry "ages", and the more likely it is to fail. I cannot stop anyone from taking these onboard, for sure, but it amazes me when people will ignore warnings from the USCG and the NFPA, just because "I've never had a problem".

Don't do this because you can get away with it, do it for your safety. I don't know how much more clear I can say it: use your Belkin in your hotel room, use your Belkin at home, but don't use your Belkin onboard ship.

Thanks for your clarification.

Please note that I have greatly enjoyed your many expert posts for years regarding ships and their operation - but in this case, I have to respectfully question this - "policy" or not.

Any logic behind the rule that excludes surge protection devices is beyond foolish. These are specifically designed to prevent fires, protect costly electronics, and they simply fail intentionally in case of a power surge (no power at all if any surge is received - providing added safety).

Undermining those benefits by providing a simple power strip eradicates those safety points, not to mention putting cameras, computers, tablets, and other expensive electronics at great risk.

The fine print in the cruising documents already waives any liability by the cruise line for these kinds of electronics onboard (unless you have your own separate insurance), so making things more risky to the passenger seems quite irresponsible.

We'll take our chances bringing and using them.

Funny how people seem to know how many outlets everyone else needs.

Our family of 4 has 4 iPads, 4 apple watches, 4 iPhones, 2 kindles, 1 GoPro, 1 extra GoPro batter charger, 1 electric razor, 1 laptop, 3 Bluetooth headphones.

So 2 outlets per cabin isn't enough. True you don't need all day to charge, and the kindle in particular goes a long time between charges, but who wants to constantly juggle everything?

We bring one of the Belkin USB chargers, 6 USB ports, no regular outlets. We do put in carry on just in case, don't want to wait in line at the naughty room. No problem 2 years ago.

That is not all they know. They also know what you can and cannot afford, how you should discipline your children, what is better for you, whether you should listen to the please give me a ten speech, what rating you should give, how much to tip, what your children should be allowed or not allowed to do, how you should vacation ...

Please note that I have greatly enjoyed your many expert posts for years regarding ships and their operation - but in this case, I have to respectfully question this - "policy" or not.

Any logic behind the rule that excludes surge protection devices is beyond foolish. These are specifically designed to prevent fires, protect costly electronics, and they simply fail intentionally in case of a power surge (no power at all if any surge is received - providing added safety).

Undermining those benefits by providing a simple power strip eradicates those safety points, not to mention putting cameras, computers, tablets, and other expensive electronics at great risk.

The fine print in the cruising documents already waives any liability by the cruise line for these kinds of electronics onboard (unless you have your own separate insurance), so making things more risky to the passenger seems quite irresponsible.

Thank you for posting what I was thinking . After all , isn't the point of surge devices to protect the device ?

And how does a surge protector lead to fires ? My devices at home "clean" the power and if necessary flick off .

That is not all they know. They also know what you can and cannot afford, how you should discipline your children, what is better for you, whether you should listen to the please give me a ten speech, what rating you should give, how much to tip, what your children should be allowed or not allowed to do, how you should vacation ...

Brilliant ! :D

As far as protecting your electronics are concerned, ask yourself why none of the vast array of electronics onboard the ship, valued at orders of magnitude greater than yours, are protected with a surge protector? This ranges from the POS registers, to the main servers for the shipboard computer system, to the bridge navigation equipment, to the automation for the ship's engines. The simple fact is that the floating ground used onboard ships, while making surge protectors dangerous, also makes them not necessary. I've been on ships that have been struck by lightning, and everything came through fine, without surge protectors. The only damage is when the lightning actually arcs to a radio antenna, then that radio gets fried.

As to why deleting a surge protector makes things safer, here's what the USCG has to say:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-oNOijtrLAhVFdh4KHWbeBaEQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftvncoe%2FDocuments%2Fsafetyalerts%2FSurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEPXVHLCc4iP8x_ha6tGKkxy6aCQw&bvm=bv.117604692,d.dmo

Here's a thread started by another CC member, who wanted more clarification as to why surge protectors were dangerous, and I steered him to some professors in marine engineering, and here is what he found:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

The NFPA UL 1449 mentioned in the USCG Safety Notice as not being a "marine approval" is correct, but the standard does address the additional protection measures required when using surge protectors in ungrounded, or impedance grounded systems, which is what a marine system is. Some of this is in cavediving's post #10 in the thread linked above.

While what you say about surge protectors is correct for shoreside use, particularly in the US, where the neutral and ground wires are at the same potential, all ships are wired as "wye" connected, where the "neutral" is not at the same potential, as described in the USCG Safety Notice.

And, no, surge protectors do not "simply fail intentionally" when a power surge is detected. You fail to understand how a surge protector works. They utilize semi-conductors called Metal Oxide Varistors (MOV) that are connected between the hot wire and ground and the neutral wire and ground. When a voltage is sensed that exceeds the MOV's "clamping voltage", the semi-conductor gates and conducts the excess voltage to the ground conductor. A surge protector fails when either a single voltage spike has sufficient energy (joules) to cause the semi-conductor to fail, or as is the case onboard ship, when many smaller (in both voltage, below the damaging clamping voltage, or in energy) total up to the joule rating of the semi-conductor. At that point, when the MOV fails, another voltage spike will not be shunted to ground, it will continue to your electronics.

Edited by chengkp75