Wine Policy Question

scluvsrain

My understanding is that it is 2 different cruises and you should be able to bring one bottle per person on at Tokyo and another at Hong Kong.

The two cruises need to have separate booking numbers to be able to take a bottle on in Tokyo and then another in Honk Kong.

If the two cruises are a collectors cruise with only one booking number then only one bottle per person in Tokyo and not another in Hong Kong.

The two cruises need to have separate booking numbers to be able to take a bottle on in Tokyo and then another in Honk Kong.

If the two cruises are a collectors cruise with only one booking number then only one bottle per person in Tokyo and not another in Hong Kong.

You are correct if it is a collector cruise, since the poster said it was a "back to back", I assumed it was two separate cruises (and booking numbers). Of course, only the poster can verify which it is.

The flaw in your logic is that there is no correlation whatsoever between a cabin and the number of bottles of wine allowed. It's not one or two bottles per cabin, it's one bottle per person. If there are four adults in a cabin, then the allowance is 4 bottles, correct?

Often, though, a solo cruiser pays double for the cabin, yet receives only a single portion of benefits, including (but not limited to) OBCs, Mariner days, corkage-free wine allowance.

Yes, one can make the case that it is "per cabin" but if there were TWO people occupying that cabin, there would be two bottles of corkage-free wine, and (usually) two OBC allowances. For paying the same price as a solo. If I am paying for "the cabin" then my benefits should be (IMHO) what two people would receive for paying for "the cabin".

And don't get me started on "3rd/4th sails free" :D

HAL 'tells' me there are two people in my solo cabin when I pay for two people for the cabin. Why does HAL then tell me there is only one person in my cabin when it is time to provide applicable benefits?

They have it both ways in their favor. 'Two persons' should be permitted two corkage free bottles.

My whole discussion is theoretical in my case as I don't bother to lug even the one bottle but as CowPrincess stated it is not only the wine..... it is OBC, free Pinnacle dinners etc

Those may be the rules according to HAL headquarters and the person who wrote their Q & A but do you honestly expect the wine steward manning the table at embarkation to know how many booking numbers you have :confused: It is basically a crap shoot and, sadly, the louder your voice the more chances you have of getting away with a free bottle.

Edited by taxmantoo

Those may be the rules according to HAL headquarters and the person who wrote their Q & A but do you honestly expect the wine steward manning the table at embarkation to know how many booking numbers you have :confused: It is basically a crap shoot and, sadly, the louder your voice the more chances you have of getting away with a free bottle.

I'd rather pay the $18 than start my cruise off being "loud" - LOL.

Sadly you are right though. ;).

I cannot begin to imagine getting loud with a steward over an $18 corkage fee for a bottle of wine. :rolleyes: That is how someone starts their cruise? :eek:

I cannot begin to imagine getting loud with a steward over an $18 corkage fee for a bottle of wine. :rolleyes: That is how someone starts their cruise? :eek:

I never said that I would do that. I said that it would probably work in getting your free bottle on as they likely would not argue with you. I have seen people raise their voices for much less than that :eek:

I never said that I would do that. I said that it would probably work in getting your free bottle on as they likely would not argue with you. I have seen people raise their voices for much less than that :eek:

I agree. You never said you would. Nor did I say you would. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Of course we will try when we get back from Monserrat on our "pseudo" turn around day in BCN. Why wouldn't we with all the good riojas in Spain?

At some stops the duty free is after the scanner (like Ponta Delgado) and from what I hear, yet to be seen, Barcelona as well.

If they ask then we will pay the $18 and have it in the MDR, if not then we will consume it on our balcony vice the MDR or other venue.

With the Mariner discount we will get a package on board once we see what wines are available.

No different than the tax they try to collect in Texas ports. They usually ask "Did you buy any alcohol or tobacco on your cruise?" I always say no but then they didn't ask "Did either of you buy any alcohol or tobacco your cruise? I would have to say yes then , of course.

Not that I'm advocating cheating the system for solo travelers, but I've already carried all our wine, reported to the wine check in table, and presented our wine. They've always offered me the two bottle corkage free exemption. Since we take our wine to dinner, I always try to get the check in person - usually a bar server - to charge us corkage on the whole lot.

They've never looked at our paperwork, made me produce the lovely wife, or anything else to prove that we're two people in a cabin. I've seen one person in a couple come to the check in area, say, 'We have two bottles for our room. Do we need to do anything special?" They're usually waived through. There's never a, "Where's your travel companion? Show them to me this instant!"

Granted, we've never only taken on the "room bottles." (What the heck would we do on the second and subsequent days? ;) ) My gut instinct is that if a single traveler referred to themselves using the royal we, they'd waltz right on board, no questions asked. Other than the obvious, "Excuse me, madam... Why are you waltzing?"

You are correct if it is a collector cruise, since the poster said it was a "back to back", I assumed it was two separate cruises (and booking numbers). Of course, only the poster can verify which it is.

Yes, there are two different booking numbers. Thanks for the info!

We are booked on the Oct Trans-Atlantic repo out of Civitavecchia, IT on the Koningsdam. While browsing the available excursions I came across this surprising gem in the "Taste of Sardinia" excursion in Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.

"Corkage policy: Onboard corkage fee is waived for one bottle of wine per person per tour for wine purchased during a Holland America Line shore excursion."

We love winery excursions, and have almost always purchased a bottle or two while on the tour. If this policy applies to all HAL wine tours it'll make lots of us happy. :D

if you take a wine tour excursion through HAL's you can bring one bottle of wine on board per person for each wine excursion.

Not that I'm advocating cheating the system for solo travelers, but I've already carried all our wine, reported to the wine check in table, and presented our wine. They've always offered me the two bottle corkage free exemption.

They've never looked at our paperwork, made me produce the lovely wife, or anything else to prove that we're two people in a cabin. I've seen one person in a couple come to the check in area, say, 'We have two bottles for our room. Do we need to do anything special?" They're usually waived through. There's never a, "Where's your travel companion? Show them to me this instant!"

My gut instinct is that if a single traveler referred to themselves using the royal we, they'd waltz right on board, no questions asked. Other than the obvious, "Excuse me, madam... Why are you waltzing?"

That's a good point. I wouldn't expect that all couples lined up together to check in wine. We have a solo traveler in our group, I'll pass along the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not that I'm advocating cheating the system for solo travelers, but I've already carried all our wine, reported to the wine check in table, and presented our wine. They've always offered me the two bottle corkage free exemption. Since we take our wine to dinner, I always try to get the check in person - usually a bar server - to charge us corkage on the whole lot.

Granted, we've never only taken on the "room bottles." (What the heck would we do on the second and subsequent days? ;) ) My gut instinct is that if a single traveler referred to themselves using the royal we, they'd waltz right on board, no questions asked. Other than the obvious, "Excuse me, madam... Why are you waltzing?"

Not advocating how to cheat either but here is what happened on our February cruise:

A friend was going on his first HAL cruise (and only second cruise) and we informally agreed to board together. DH and I were at the port early, checked in and waiting to board while he was still on his way. We had a couple of bottles of wine with us and paid corkage on those beyond the first two. When boarding started, we decided to get on since he was still on his way to the port.

Unbeknownst to us, he had picked up eight bottles of wine and intended for us to take two on corkage-free (and he did not know we had wine). He somehow convinced the corkage collector that his friends were supposed to take two bottles onboard but did not wait for him to board. The steward only charged for four.

Not advocating... just reporting.

... He somehow convinced the corkage collector that his friends were supposed to take two bottles onboard but did not wait for him to board. The steward only charged for four... Not advocating... just reporting. /quote]

Can I safely assume that your friend reported the error (and paid the appropriate corkage fees) as soon as he discovered it? Making no judgements ... just wondering.

... He somehow convinced the corkage collector that his friends were supposed to take two bottles onboard but did not wait for him to board. The steward only charged for four... Not advocating... just reporting. /quote]

Can I safely assume that your friend reported the error (and paid the appropriate corkage fees) as soon as he discovered it? Making no judgements ... just wondering.

Him?! No!

But I have to say his bar bill onboard must have made up for most of the corkage! He had a GOOD time. :)

Did I drink some of that wine? Yes. I had to.

Edited by Boytjie