Lost Camera one the GRAND 3/26

masterty

Got home today and discovered I no longer had my camera. If anyone on the Grand could check, I would much appreciate it. This was a 50th anniversary cruise for my folks and included many irreplaceable pictures. The camera is expensive and yours to keep, I only ask that you mail me the memory card. I called Princess and they told me there is no communication with the ships.

If someone is willing and able to go down to the pursers desk and check lost and found for a Canon G16 with a black Canon strap and Ultimate Balcony dinner and some baby girl photos I would really like to get that memory card back.

Got home today and discovered I no longer had my camera. If anyone on the Grand could check, I would much appreciate it. This was a 50th anniversary cruise for my folks and included many irreplaceable pictures. The camera is expensive and yours to keep, I only ask that you mail me the memory card. I called Princess and they told me there is no communication with the ships.

If someone is willing and able to go down to the pursers desk and check lost and found for a Canon G16 with a black Canon strap and Ultimate Balcony dinner and some baby girl photos I would really like to get that memory card back.

You might want to post this on the Princess roll call for this upcoming cruise.

What a sad loss for you. :(

If you called today, my experience with weekend Princess reps is they are less experienced. I'm skeptical that in your situation that there is no way to communicate with the ship about your lost camera & photos from a big celebration such as your parents 50th anniversary cruise. If it were me, I'd try calling again or emailing Princess Customer Relations to attempt to get my camera & irreplaceable photos returned.

Here's a link to their website that provides lost & found information including a form (http://www.princess.com/customer_care/contact/missing/missing_damaged_form_1009.pdf) and also a link to email Customer Relations (customerrelations@princesscruises.com).

http://www.princess.com/customer_care/contact/index.jsp

Edited by Astro Flyer

Contact the corporate lost and found department on Monday.

We left a camera in Club Fusion on the Caribbean Princess. It was turned into the Lost and Found on the ship, off loaded either that week or the next, and then sent to the Corporate Lost and Found in California.

We filled out the form they sent us via email describing the camera, and they called us 3 weeks later that they had it.

They offered to send it USPS for free or overnight on our dime.

System worked like a charm.................all dependent of course on the "finder" turning it in.

The first photo on every new camera card is always our contact information, inviting the finder to keep the darn camera, but please forward the card to us. Luckily, we have never had to actually see if this works but at least we feel somewhat comfortable that there is at least a chance that we will get the card back.

Of course the next 2 or 3 photos are of our luggage in case they loose us as well.

I know 20 20 hindsight is never helpful. Sorry.

Contact the corporate lost and found department on Monday.

We left a camera in Club Fusion on the Caribbean Princess. It was turned into the Lost and Found on the ship, off loaded either that week or the next, and then sent to the Corporate Lost and Found in California.

We filled out the form they sent us via email describing the camera, and they called us 3 weeks later that they had it.

System worked like a charm.................all dependent of course on the "finder" turning it in.

Will do....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you don't get it back, your insurance should buy you a new one.

Also, another too late suggestion (save it for your next cruise).

I make a tiny copy of our luggage tags and tape one to all of our electronics. That way the finder doesn't have to guess who you are. If you lose something during the cruise, it should be able to get back to you fairly quickly.

I hope it was turned over to Passenger's desk by the kind heart finder.

I think this is faster than the reports of mailing a letter on board.

Hindsight is 20-20 and I sure hope that you get the camera back. However, your plight clearly shows the importance of backups and advance planning. Many other things could have happened to cause loss of pictures even if you still had your camera. For example, camera memory cards can go bad. You could accidentally format your card. What you need to do is set up a routine backup or picture protection protocol to prevent problems from occurring. It amazes me how many people have all their important computer files in just one place. There are 2 groups of people in this world - those who have had their storage media die and those who will have their storage media die.

Three suggestions -

1) The simplest would be to buy a bunch of small memory cards and use a different one for each day of the cruise. If you take a 7 day cruise, take 7 cards. That way in a worse case scenario, you only lose the pictures for one day. Cards are cheap; memories are not.

2) The better but more complex method would be to do regular daily backups from your card to your phone, tablet or computer. This is what a I do. Every night I back up the card in the computer to my tablet. I then back up my tablet to 2 flash drives. I also combine option 1 with this option 2. This means that my pictures are in 4 places - the daily camera card, the tablet and 2 flash drives. When we leave the ship to go home, the backup media are never in the same place. My wife has one flash drive in her carry on bag. I have one in my carry on bag with my tablet. The camera and the camera memory cards are in my camera bag.

3) A possible alternative solution is to buy one of those internet connected camera cards that automatically download your pictures to the cloud or to a local network. This is an example - http://www.eyefi.com/products/mobi-pro. I have never used one of these but it might be an option.

You can call me paranoid but sometimes they are really out to get you and as you have sadly found out - sometimes they succeed.

One other thought. Make the first picture on any card that you put into your camera a picture of your name, e-mail address, phone number and the amount of the reward you will pay if they find the camera and contact you.

As I said, hope that you get them back.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

1) The simplest would be to buy a bunch of small memory cards and use a different one for each day of the cruise. If you take a 7 day cruise, take 7 cards. That way in a worse case scenario, you only lose the pictures for one day. Cards are cheap; memories are not.

That's a great idea. I'm going to order a few more memory cards now. The one I keep in the camera is a 64GB size :eek: which usually fills up on a two week vacation. I do download my photos to my small netbook daily, but I think using multiple cards would make things easier. I just have to make sure my contact info is on multiple cards instead of just one (it's already on every memory card I currently have).

The first photo on every new camera card is always our contact information, inviting the finder to keep the darn camera, but please forward the card to us. Luckily, we have never had to actually see if this works but at least we feel somewhat comfortable that there is at least a chance that we will get the card back.

Of course the next 2 or 3 photos are of our luggage in case they loose us as well.

I know 20 20 hindsight is never helpful. Sorry.

What a clever idea. I'm putting my name and address on now. Only time I "lost" my camera was when I fell out of an outrigger canoe in PNG and camera and I ended up in the water. Much amusement for those on shore. Lol

2) The better but more complex method would be to do regular daily backups from your card to your phone, tablet or computer. This is what a I do. Every night I back up the card in the computer to my tablet. I then back up my tablet to 2 flash drives. I also combine option 1 with this option 2. This means that my pictures are in 4 places - the daily camera card, the tablet and 2 flash drives. When we leave the ship to go home, the backup media are never in the same place. My wife has one flash drive in her carry on bag. I have one in my carry on bag with my tablet. The camera and the camera memory cards are in my camera bag.

One other thought. Make the first picture on any card that you put into your camera a picture of your name, e-mail address, phone number and the amount of the reward you will pay if they find the camera and contact you.

I'm totally with Don on the importance of backups. My wife and I are both "serious shooters", so it's a known fact that we can't survive a cruise on just the memory cards we own. Regardless, I put together a system of four external drives, with one as a staging point for speedy transfers, and three for actual storage/backup. Memory cards don't get reformatted until the system tells me that the images have been VERIFIED on three drives, and the staging point doesn't get emptied until the last drive indicates everything passed verification. Again, it's complex, but I have no desire to come home without our pictures. Of course, the drives travel home in different bags, some in checked bags handled by the ship (in case one of us should fall into the water...), other drives in carry-off bags.

I wish the old trick of putting an image at the beginning of the card with our contact info would work...it's commonly believed to be best to format memory cards in-camera, and I consider it too tedious to remove the cards from the cameras to download, return them to cameras to format, return them to computer to drop contact info onto them, then return them to cameras for use. Alas, that's a sacrifice that I choose.

I wish the old trick of putting an image at the beginning of the card with our contact info would work...it's commonly believed to be best to format memory cards in-camera, and I consider it too tedious to remove the cards from the cameras to download, return them to cameras to format, return them to computer to drop contact info onto them, then return them to cameras for use. Alas, that's a sacrifice that I choose.

Peety3- perhaps, rather than trying to upload an image of the contact info onto the card, after you format the card in camera you could just take a picture of your business card or a piece of paper with your contact info on it. I have done this with my phone and used the photo as the "screen lock" image, so I can be contacted if someone finds my lost phone.

Edited by ladyaero

Keep us updated- I'm getting on the Grand on Saturday- if you haven't heard about your camera by then I will be happy to ask onboard for you- but hopefully someone on now will beat me to it!

Will do.

I discovered yesterday that a member of the Crown Grill called my brothers room stating they had my camera. I didn't get notified about this call until 24 hours after the ship left on its next voyage. So the only update I have is; the waiter in the grill tried to contact me, I didn't get the message in time to realize I lost it. A guest from the current cruise checked the pursers desk yesterday and it was not there. He is in Santa Barbara today. He will check the crown grill when he gets back on the ship today.

Keeping my fingers crossed the Crown Grill guy turns it in so I can get the photos.

I will update when I learn more.

Edited by masterty

Will do.

I discovered yesterday that a member of the Crown Grill called my brothers room stating they had my camera. I didn't get notified about this call until 24 hours after the ship left on its next voyage. So the only update I have is; the waiter in the grill tried to contact me, I didn't get the message in time to realize I lost it. A guest from the current cruise checked the pursers desk yesterday and it was not there. He is in Santa Barbara today. He will check the crown grill when he gets back on the ship today.

Keeping my fingers crossed the Crown Grill guy turns it in so I can get the photos.

That sounds positive! Crossing fingers for you!

Peety3- perhaps, rather than trying to upload an image of the contact info onto the card, after you format the card in camera you could just take a picture of your business card or a piece of paper with your contact info on it. I have done this with my phone and used the photo as the "screen lock" image, so I can be contacted if someone finds my lost phone.

Long irrelevant story shortened, "it's not that simple". We can start the day with this done, but switching cards on multiple cameras means we can't assume the card was formatted in the correct camera. Regardless, at least my memory card keeper is lassoed to my belt, so I'd have to drop one and not know it to lose a card.

My son left his headphones in his stateroom on the same cruise. I called Princess today and was told that everything in Lost and Found is taken off the ship and sent to Princess headquarters. They inventory everything there, and then when they receive your Lost and Found Form, hopefully find it and mail it from Santa Clarita. So your item is most likely not on the ship anymore. Call Princess and get the process going- or just send in the form that someone posted earlier- although calling also has them add it to your profile- for more verification. Good luck to you and me!

Will do.

I have a good feeling about this! Good luck!

My luggage is frequently "temporarily lost". Using regional jets, if the plane is too heavy, the luggage goes on the next flight or the next days flight. Though each time I have to file a report.

Once, I had pictures of my luggage (an odd shade of red, almost burgundy). They could careless about seeing pictures. They wanted to know size, upright/duffel/horizontal and color. For color - burgundy was not a choice, just red. I had blue pompoms on it - they could care less about that.

It was reported as a 26" red upright suitcase.