Are specialty restaurants really worth it?

2yves

I have read some give bad reviews on specialty restaurants where they didn't feel they got a meal that was worth the extra money. I have also read really great reviews on the main dining (free) options.

Just being on the ship, being served, and not having to cook and clean is a treat in itself. I wonder though if the main dining room food does get old after a while.

Which specialty restaurants are worth the extra $$$?

To me, Le Bistro is worth the money, but my last visit was September 2014. Also liked Cagney's, but that was 2008.

Food Republic on Escape is very much worth every penny.

Not worth it was Bayamo on Escape. Service was excellent, and the food was good, but not worth the extra money.

With the increased prices, no, I no longer think they are worth it. When Cagney's was $15 pp, Le Bistro $20 pp, etc., I thought the value was there ... but I personally no longer believe it to be - not at a la carte prices!

I think they used to be, say 2+ years ago. Lately the fees and charges keep going up, the food quality keeps going down and the service is very hit and miss. They used to be awesome, now, not so much. I have been cruising on NCL for over 20 years and I have seen the drastic decline in a lot of areas including the specialty restaurants. I don't think they are much better than the complimentary venues these days.

I think they used to be, say 2+ years ago. Lately the fees and charges keep going up, the food quality keeps going down and the service is very hit and miss. They used to be awesome, now, not so much. I have been cruising on NCL for over 20 years and I have seen the drastic decline in a lot of areas including the specialty restaurants. I don't think they are much better than the complimentary venues these days.

certainly worth it if you are platinum.:D

I have read some give bad reviews on specialty restaurants where they didn't feel they got a meal that was worth the extra money. I have also read really great reviews on the main dining (free) options.

Just being on the ship, being served, and not having to cook and clean is a treat in itself. I wonder though if the main dining room food does get old after a while.

Which specialty restaurants are worth the extra $$$?

"worth it" is ALWAYS a matter of personal taste and preference. What is "worth it" to you may not be to others. We have enjoyed all of teh specialty places very much.

I think they are worth it. I find the MDR on any given cruise ship kind of boring. Nice, but boring. Our last Breakaway cruise we only at specialty restaurants for dinner and never even tried the MDR so I don't know how dinner was there. I like the variety of cuisines, the different decors, it makes dinner fun and keeps in interesting. I am willing to pay the extra fees for what I consider an elevated experience compared to MDR. But it is getting a bit pricey now with a la carte instead of cover charges. But I would still frequent all the alternative restaurants on any given cruise because that's what I like. Some people are not as food obsessed as me!

Are you staying in the Haven? Then I would say No. If the SDP is included in your booking, give them a try. Food Republic is awesome! Bayambo is just Ok, not worth the additional charge. Cagney's quality suffers due to the amount of people on the Escape and how many turns they do in an evening. Give a couple a try and decide if they're worth it for you! For us, with the Haven, it was not worth it. But we had another couple in the Haven that had a great meal at La Cucina. It's all a matter of opinion! :)

A nominal coverage charge, up till the year or two, was still a reasonable add-on - given the portion size, extra attentive service & more private settings - before reaching platinum status, we didn't mind eating in LeBistro, once or twice during the week - for no special reasons; and, DSC already covered the server & assistant (leaving a cash tip). Two of us won't dine in Cagney as DW doesn't touch red meat, unless the entire "gang" is going. We ordered as much and as little as appropriate, sometimes sharing starters & salad - not wasting food or packing them to go ... room service 24/7 used to be free ;)

The "perceived" values - paying extras with a la carte pricing - aren't there anymore, to us, portions & even the sides are shrinking and with all the packages and add-on, restrictions on the complimentary meals in recognition of our loyalty (or, not) - we are better off staying with the MDR and not dig deeper into the wallet. Take another closer look at the staffing ratio on the mega ships as it helped explain some of the challenges. We aren't abandoning NCL, not yet - and our sailing is a no-frills one in a few weeks, still going to treat our friends to LeBistro using our certificates.

Strictly our opinions, of course - highly subjective but 100% valid, to us. Let the debates continue.

I've only eaten in the MDR a couple of times and was not satisfied with the food, the service or the atmosphere (very loud, small children running around, etc.), so I only eat in the specialty restaurants and feel they are definitely worth the money. I think the food is far superior to the MDR, as is the service and atmosphere. Since I go to some restaurants more than one night, when I come back the second time, they know my preferences. I've always purchased the dining package, which brings the price down.

"worth it" is ALWAYS a matter of personal taste and preference. What is "worth it" to you may not be to others. We have enjoyed all of teh specialty places very much.

So true, I am not a "foodie" and prefer just a hamburger for a dinner or even cookies. However, my husband like the "fancier" food. We do have the specialty package so I may go but I do not care for the food all that much.

It depends on your level of expectation. It is undeniable that the quality of MDR food has slipped since the proliferation of specialty restaurants. You get better food and service in the specialty restaurants, but if you are perfectly happy with what you get in the MDR -- why pay more?

We have only sailed Celebrity(until our 4/17 Breakaway) and ate in specialty and MDR. As the cruise ended we found that the MDR became less enjoyable. I will say, however, that the serving staff because we dined at 8:30 each night with the same staff was always fun and we did look forward to seeing them.

We have specialty dining on Breakaway for 3 nights so it should break it up.

I am sure it will be fine - on vacation with others to keep us laughing.

It's not just food you're spending your money on.

Perfect example is Moderno.

Never have we had an experience like that where you leave so full you feel like you're going to give birth! :D

And the stop/go concept with the cards, priceless!

Cagneys and LeBistro both, excellent as always. Love the fries (Cagneys) served up wrapped in an iron funnel!

If there's a downside it's having to skip the elevators to help with burning all those extra calories. :eek:

I've never had a bad meal or bad service in the MDR, and I have had bad meals and bad service (at least half our visits) to specialties, so it just depends if it's worth it. We will visit them if given a dining package as a promo, but we won't ever pay for them again.

The only exception to this is Food Republic, which is worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In the "worth it" department I take into account atmosphere and service in addition to food.

Ala carte does not bother me because I am happy with a starter and entree (with a side or two). I like to wait and have dessert and coffee later, so unless I was on a UDP or SDP I would have Nespresso and whatever sweet the butler can bring for my daily snack. Cookies or choc strawberries are perfect.