Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Last part of Monarchs and Missionaries tour was visit to Iolani Palace. Beautiful and most interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John and I walked to the Iolani Palace today also. It's an easy walk from the pier. We did the audio tour and found it very interesting. We've been to Honolulu many times but had never visited the palace before. So glad we did! We learned so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're docked now,at Pier 2, and Internet seems to be better. Maybe some people have logged off? Looks like it will be a nice day. I think we will check in and get our hop on tickets, can't decide if we will use them both days, but I think the 2-day price of $35 was pretty good. We have to be back at the ship well before 3, to join Jacqui et al for our evening luau.

Even docked we're still getting very limited internet from the ship. It's been almost 36 hours! Just Facebook and some Google/Bing searches (but it won't connect from the search!). Very glad we can connect to our mobile provider right now! Hope this doesn't continue.

HALLELUJAH!!!! There be INTERNET!!!!!

The stupid ship moved the stupid beam for the stupid satellite and tried to tell us that the stupid internet didn't work because we were on IPads. NOT

Well, whateveer was wrong has hopefully been fixed for good. It was a day and 1/2 at least that it wouldn't c0 -operate.

Very frustrating as you waited for it to load and then couldn't reach the server. First time I've seen an issue this bad. Looks like all of our complaints kept them working on it and hopefully, it is here to stay.

We've had a busy couple of days and I have to check to see where I left off and may just work backwards - LOL.

Aloha from Honolulu. On day two.

Edited by kazu

Yesterday was a full day with some lovely sightseeing and overview of Honolulu. DH and I took the hop on and off bus and then went to the Chief's Luau with our roll call group. We opted for their transportation to and from the park and our guide "Cousin Shawny" was a great guide showing us the sites along the way, teaching us a bit about the culture and installing the "family feeling" that they have here.

The Chief's Luau offers the opportunity to share in a bit of the culture - teaching you games and how to intertwine the leaves to make bands, etc.

73fdf9d11e7559e690f6ac954d82907c.jpg

3abc4c3ca4f04371cce8260fb1978cb6.jpg

5d06888a400d94aee380c057dee76fd5.jpg

c82eed19b151aa85aba77b9bf24a4b33.jpg

Soon it was time for the Chief to arrive

b8a19028fda72157e00d502a9a4b0d4b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HALLELUJAH!!!! There be INTERNET!!!!!

The stupid ship moved the stupid beam for the stupid satellite and tried to tell us that the stupid internet didn't work because we were on IPads. NOT

Well, whateveer was wrong has hopefully been fixed for good. It was a day and 1/2 at least that it wouldn't c0 -operate.

Very frustrating as you waited for it to load and then couldn't reach the server. First time I've seen an issue this bad. Looks like all of our complaints kept them working on it and hopefully, it is here to stay.

We've had a busy couple of days and I have to check to see where I left off and may just work backwards - LOL.

Aloha from Honolulu. On day two.

Have my fingers--and toes crossed! Enjoy the day--aloha!

I just got a FB message from a friend, and he hasn't had anything close to decent internet access for a while. Thanks to this thread I was able to tell him that many are having the same problem. (He can use FB but nothing else today, I expect that some of the contributors here may be having similar problems :( )

I am looking forward to reading many updates once the issues are resolved :) (when you all have time and inclinication!)

I just got a FB message from a friend, and he hasn't had anything close to decent internet access for a while. Thanks to this thread I was able to tell him that many are having the same problem. (He can use FB but nothing else today, I expect that some of the contributors here may be having similar problems :( )

I am looking forward to reading many updates once the issues are resolved :) (when you all have time and inclinication!)

Apparently, it's gone again so it was just a brief respite. Very frustrating, especially for those who sailed the Westerdam last year when the internet was so good. I guess it may be a satellite issue.

He had them pull out the pig that had been roasting and presented it to us and then it was time to eat some Hawaiian food. During dinner we were treated to music and after dinner the real show started...

e8ee29a04d68f249744e9a61fa0e4110.jpg

The different dances were representative of the cultures that had come to Hawaii and the surrounding islands.

effb02c6f0c24e0dd09d4a8c642ac6e8.jpg

34b8d788412fe59551c142e8d46784d2.jpg

c893087a510c8b2fd5a80b26b5848b81.jpg

5877b124f50f7d8d73d6fa7079c3edf2.jpg

Hmm - Internet disappeared again. GRRRRRR.

Going to try to see if this will upload. I hope so. Frustrating as all get out. Kazu is getting pretty dam ticked.

If we don't post, it's not because we are lazy, it's because we can't. Will see if this will load and what else I can do.

Hmm - Internet disappeared again. GRRRRRR.

Going to try to see if this will upload. I hope so. Frustrating as all get out. Kazu is getting pretty dam ticked.

If we don't post, it's not because we are lazy, it's because we can't. Will see if this will load and what else I can do.

No thinking person would EVER consider the contributors on this "Live" thread to be lazy :eek: Good grief! You are all gracious enough to spend your vacation time, and your $$, to take us along on your trip.

I, for one, am ever so grateful that you are all doing this, and would never ever suggest you (generic you, not specific you) aren't holding up your end :)

So, relax, enjoy the sunshine, the water, the cocktails :) and do what you feel like doing here, when you can. Please :)

We were soon getting to the climax of the show.

First some final dances....

9e510641b2abddd1ec8a837f44eacd96.jpg

789b0556b89a498116fd1143e188b4bd.jpg

Then it was time for the Chief to try to light a fire with his wood. He told us that they did it wrong on Survivor - LOL.

9d431e4c44f39e6b4a997f91d07982ea.jpg

e0a1261911ee7e224e04365782d65d27.jpg

And yes, he had fire. Then came the fire dances.

Thank you for this wonderful thread. Enjoying all the posts and the great pictures.

We always wanted to do this itinerary, now we REALLY want to do it. :):):)

BTW, cold and snow flurries in Ottawa.

Great pictures of the chief and dancers.

Did you eat Poi?

But of course, KK. :)

We spent 1/2 the morning trying to find wifi in Honolulu. Lost cause. Starbucks nor MacDonalds worked well. Very slow. Very few places with wifi. Very strange indeed.

Back on the ship and hoping it will hold to do a couple more posts.

Back to the Chief's Luau, sorry but Internet died again. GRRRR.

The fire dances are spell binding and dangerous. No flash was permitted to prevent distraction so I took these on my iPad. I hope you can make out how fantastic it was. Pardon the photos.

94abb37ba9bbc25968446654ced2d692.jpg

5fbddd3f86355057810a86c0c500a3f3.jpg

5173d33e2e123a362e2a78a51b644d0c.jpg

f3bf287222eaa49872ce85734ddb08fe.jpg

261525165e6744a5251732aa8735b0af.jpg

It was truly amazing and spell binding.

But of course, KK. :)

We spent 1/2 the morning trying to find wifi in Honolulu. Lost cause. Starbucks nor MacDonalds worked well. Very slow. Very few places with wifi. Very strange indeed.

Back on the ship and hoping it will hold to do a couple more posts.

I had visions of someone on the Bridge saying "they are yelling about no hot water- shut off the Internet!" :D

Happy that you are able to connect with us, Jacqui. I know you're going to a lot of trouble with the prep work, and it's a shame when you can't post the results of that effort.

Love some of the pics I've clicked on. Did I miss a picture of the luau pig, though? I don't remember seeing it.

Or did you not post one?

Hope you continue to have a great time.

And then the farewell from all the great people at the Chief's Luau

38f7a40ac312a2dcb5022a3fe0a89080.jpg

7c8331e110022f300c46767d49a877f7.jpg

2c435a235f31131ceeb1cf90f5c4b26f.jpg

The Chief's Luau was very good. Kazu gives the performance a 10 and the food a 4 (but food is subjective ). The main issue was that we were pre-served and it would have been nicer to choose. But we went for the show, not the food !

One roll call couple told me they had been to every other luau and decided what the heck - we'll go to this one too. Said they had been to the Polynesian one, Germaine's, etc. And this was the best luau they had been to. Everyone in our group seemed to be very happy with the performance.

This was a private booking and we got a discount with the group and weren't charged the "commission" so there was a bit of a savings. For $14 additional they transported us to the Sea View Park and back. A lovely guided tour on the way. We saw all the famous beaches from various movies, drove on the road where Magnum PI speeded in his Ferrari, etc.

To make things even better, we got back in time for the ship's Drums of Polynesia show. It was quite good but no question that the Chief's Luau was better. HAL has done a great job of bringing on local performers.

bb0492ceed1e1b725516599746729bc5.jpg

93dfaaad22c0a506be259a7beca08303.jpg

More backtracking.....sorry but safer to work backwards now and hopefully catch up....

Deck 4 was opened up for our arrival to Honolulu and our guide was there explaining the special permission we were receiving (in the Hawaiian way) to enter Honolulu. Coupled with that we had some lovely performances by our on board Hula dancers/teachers and language teachers

c400b1c6f70e77a803f99213f522891a.jpg

8b666e01f2830b6c9c89185b5642c1cc.jpg

e902b5408e79d7024d20687a5f1c6a6f.jpg

607adb4be885a682730f426f3b93c17c.jpg

Backtracking some more.....our sea day we had our Wine Tasting for Dummies. That was what it was called. It was a private wine tasting for the roll call in the Piano Bar. Of course, the wine had the corkage paid on it.

We had about 38 roll call members tasting and several observers (not tasting just enjoying.

The sommelier for our wine tasting was our own taxmantoo. He did an absolutely fabulous job. It was fun, informative and I think everyone had a good time.

Here is our sommelier....

1414886bbd394a1a66b0aea4eafc4c09.jpg

56658bb710c0a286de1bd95b55448d05.jpg

And his lovely DH who helped us pour the glasses and get everything set up. Lovely couple !!! So happy we had the pleasure to meet them :)

1d26b8e0d065f4c132c95644c9f78158.jpg

Happy that you are able to connect with us, Jacqui. I know you're going to a lot of trouble with the prep work, and it's a shame when you can't post the results of that effort.

Love some of the pics I've clicked on. Did I miss a picture of the luau pig, though? I don't remember seeing it.

Or did you not post one?

Hope you continue to have a great time.

I definitely second that and am loving all the pics even though they came all at once LOL.☺

And here are some of our roll call members at the wine tasting for dummies.

57a25a9b745cf2631c6213baf60f827f.jpg

8a9fe6bd36ca1a91b4c3aa8da486f082.jpg

6d1fb96402a7e0f1fd3912a28957c7ef.jpg

ffe5a52f31028d62e62e0d9d2a67b5be.jpg

b2e32a5883f7f6873e718abc750444aa.jpg

Oops I forgot to say in my previous post, that I don't normally name roll call members. I did get permission from our sommelier to post his pic.