Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Happy that you are able to connect with us, Jacqui. I know you're going to a lot of trouble with the prep work, and it's a shame when you can't post the results of that effort.

Love some of the pics I've clicked on. Did I miss a picture of the luau pig, though? I don't remember seeing it.

Or did you not post one?

Hope you continue to have a great time.

The luau pig was put up high RuthC, but there were just too many people taller than I and I couldn't get a good pic - sorry. I gave up on trying to do that one.

There was some supposition by gigianne's DH that our internet problems may be caused by the naval base here? But since we lost it before we got here, I don't know if that is accurate or not?

I was very surprised as it had been decent until Wednesday and was fine last year. Hopefully the issues are resolved.

I know things can be slow and drop but I have never seen this no internet at all (even early morning) before. I wonder if the word compensation helped? LOL.

I don't mind paying for something but nearly two days of no access is not part of the deal.

Fingers crossed that all is good now.

Oh and BIG SURPRISE, Kazu stopped to get some flowers today. I found out though that many of the bunches came from Hilo and were much cheaper there. Since we are going there tomorrow I am very hopeful to pick up some at the Farmer's Market if we are back in time from our HAL tour. To play it safe though, I did walk on the ship with this from Honolulu :)

420bdecc23caaf984dc30fcb1cbf69ba.jpg

$10 U.S. :). It was quite windy and DH was afraid it would break on the way, but we protected it as best possible and it arrived safely back on the ship!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I definitely second that and am loving all the pics even though they came all at once LOL.☺

Sorry, but you gotta make hay while the sun shines (or post while the Internet is working) especially uploading pics.

I have to look back now and figure out where I left off menu wise and On Location wise and info wise. Two days is too long for Kazu's short memory.

I had visions of someone on the Bridge saying "they are yelling about no hot water- shut off the Internet!" :D

LOL Frank :). Maybe so? I hadn't even posted about the toilets yet. Ha! Ha!

You know when you push the button and there's that deadly silence?

Seems there's been a couple of people that can't read and putting the wrong things down. Our problem was fixed pretty quickly - about 2 hours and the plumber even came to test.

I overheard another problem in another area yesterday in the N.L. Same issue. I think that one was resolved pretty quickly too.

I think taxmantoo's problem was fixed in that they had hot water that day. Don't know if the fix has stood the test of time. I hope so.

The luau pig was put up high RuthC, but there were just too many people taller than I and I couldn't get a good pic - sorry. I gave up on trying to do that one.

Oh. :( Sorry to hear that.

But thanks anyway!

No thinking person would EVER consider the contributors on this "Live" thread to be lazy :eek: Good grief! You are all gracious enough to spend your vacation time, and your $$, to take us along on your trip.

I, for one, am ever so grateful that you are all doing this, and would never ever suggest you (generic you, not specific you) aren't holding up your end :)

So, relax, enjoy the sunshine, the water, the cocktails :) and do what you feel like doing here, when you can. Please :)

How very kind of you CP :)

Thank you. We do try to keep up to date but the Internet is really providing challenges and the Honolulu port with limits, poor wifi was very problematic. I couldn't believe how little there was. No wonder it wasn't working well with a gazillion people trying to use it.

Speaking only for us, we were a bit concerned about this itinerary and it is unlike anything we have ever done. We are really enjoying it.

Well, I had better go feed DH. Lunch has been postponed to try to post a few pics. If Internet holds, I'll be back with more or post during lunch.

Too warm for me on deck so enjoying the CN a/c. Unfortunately a woman sitting under a speaker said the lovely Hawaiian background music was too loud and giving her a headache so it was turned way down and now all I can hear is her talking.

Finally, after almost 48 hours, we have Internet.

Yesterday we took the Pearl Harbor tour that was supposed to be the highlight of the cruise. Strong winds prevented the boats from going out to the Arizona Monument so we had to be content with viewing it from a distance. It was a big disappointment but the weather is unpredictable and there was nothing we could do about it. We did, however have the opportunity to tour the USS Missouri and view the spot where the surrender that ended WW2 was signed.

The deck of the USS Missouri also afforded us a closer look at the Arizona Memorial. Gigianne and her husband accompanied us and they were as disappointed as we were but we all made the best of it and thoroughly enjoyed our day.

Last night we watched "Pearl Harbor" in the Queen's Lounge. It felt strange to be watching it on location, so to speak. It took me back to the time I watched the original Dam Busters movie in the Officers' Mess at Fort Henry in Germany at the age of 13. It was located right beside the Möhnesee and it also felt very strange. I used to ride out to the Möhne Dam on my bicycle.

I was speaking to someone at the front desk regarding the danger posed by Segway guy and I was assured he had been spoken to about driving the Segway around the ship. He is restricted to going from his cabin to the gangway and vice versa. They agreed that a moving ship full of passengers was no place for a Segway.

Edited by sapper1

Spent three and a half hours out by the Seaview pool. Most people were off the ship so there was only a handful of people out there. I swam for an hour and had the pool to myself for all but ten minutes of that time.

I tried the Taco Bar for the first time and really enjoyed it. I got my tacos and then took them back to the Seaview Pool where I had a beautiful view of Diamond Head while I ate. The Captain and one other officer chose to have there lunch out there as well.

On my way back to my cabin I decided to give the bread pudding another try. It was very much as I remembered it from last year. It's OK but not the best bread pudding I ever tried.

I dropped off my donations for Fanning Island at the Front Office.

Pleasant surprise upon my return to my cabin that I could once again get on the Internet! I had to set up a personal hotspot from my phone last night to post my blog. Let's hope the service goes back to being as good (for a ship) as it was the first few days.

Sapper - sorry to hear that you were unable to visit the Arizona Memorial. It really is a moving experience.

Glad that Segway Guy has been restricted in his movements. It was scary watching him whoosh down the corridors.

I think the Segway should be stored by the gangway and only used in ports. If the man is fit enough to ride the segway he is fit enough to walk around the ship.

Roy

I totally agree with you Roy. He has been abusing this thing and so glad that some of us with concerns were listened to.

I was nearly knocked over and this elbow can NOT afford a fall.

The guy goes at full speed. - no warning - no heads up and looks quite cocky about the whole thing.

Nice to see the staff "stepping up" on this one.

Yesterday we took the Pearl Harbor tour that was supposed to be the highlight of the cruise. Strong winds prevented the boats from going out to the Arizona Monument so we had to be content with viewing it from a distance. It was a big disappointment but the weather is unpredictable and there was nothing we could do about it. We did, however have the opportunity to tour the USS Missouri and view the spot where the surrender that ended WW2 was signed.

The deck of the USS Missouri also afforded us a closer look at the Arizona Memorial. Gigianne and her husband accompanied us and they were as disappointed as we were but we all made the best of it and thoroughly enjoyed our day.

I'm sorry that your visit to the Arizona Monument wasn't as it fulfilling as it could have been. It truly is a moving experience to be there.

Happy that you were able to roll with it, though. The difference between a tourist and a traveler.

So glad that the danger from the man on the Segway has been drastically reduced. Now, just stay out of his passageway when he's going out or coming back.

I managed to get a few shots of the pig, we were told that there are two ways of cooking him - imo and umu. One is underground, and the pig is basically steamed. We were having it roast, the above ground way. 7565db090746901e17e05cfe12383ed0.jpg

c9d1a2c3f508524a99a6351e6ef06a53.jpg

8ad36f78509e1278716bbb4647f7a4db.jpg

5eb6f2afb72a7482010c59bfcb672c69.jpg

We really enjoyed the luau - Jacqui priced the right one to do.

Today, pat and I and Travelling Dot did the submarine ride, which was very good and went down to 106 feet. We also visited Iolani Palace, but it was getting late, so we just had a quick tour of the "basement". We will

have to come back to see the rest. I'm sunburnt!

Lovely to be hearing from you all again, and seeing the photos. Keeping my fingers crossed that it lasts. Kathi - wondering why the woman sitting under the speakers couldn't just move instead of complaining about the volume.:rolleyes: Glad to hear Segway Guy has been curtailed for the safety of everyone else on board. I heard he was speeding through the Lido Buffet, sheesh.

I managed to get a few shots of the pig, we were told that there are two ways of cooking him - imo and umu. One is underground, and the pig is basically steamed. We were having it roast, the above ground way.

That's interesting, about the two methods of cooking, and I did not know that.

Thanks for the pics. Enjoyed them, although I'm surprised the pig didn't look bigger.

I took a tour today of the North Shore. We stopped for a yummy shrimp lunch along the way. We visited the Byodo-In Temple, Chinaman's Hat, Sunset Beach, Maleakahana State Beach, Hale 'Iwa Beach where we saw turtles, and finally the Dole Pineapple Plantation marketplace. Really enjoyed the beautiful scenery and relaxed pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday we walked to the Iolani Palace from the ship. We took the audio tour which was very interesting. I learned a lot of Hawaiian history. Today we rented a car and drove to the North Shore. We had hoped to snorkel at Shark's Cove but the wind came up and we decided the water was too rough. We drove back to the Dole Plantation and ordered Dole Whip, a treat that has very limited availability (pretty much here on Oahu and at Disney Parks). Next we decided to indulge ourselves with at visit to Aulani (Disney's resort at Ko Olina) It is a huge facility with lots of great activities. It was a fantasmic day!

So happy to return to working Internet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Day 5 - Still no hot water!!! We have had to call Guest Services a few times a day (and night) to advise them of our hot water problem since. The Guest Services Manager refuses to meet with us and keeps advising his staff to tell us everything is fine.

On the positive side, we have a new favorite friend on board ... the ship's plumber ... He is spending more time in our bathroom more than we are!

You are handling this quite well. 5 days without hot water would be horrible. What's even worse is that the Manager won't see you. There's another thread where the poster said the manager refused to see them and many people doubted them. Disappointing to hear that the manager won't take a moment to speak to you. There will always be issues that arise, it's how the company deals with it that matters.

Hopefully, you have hot water soon! Thank you for sharing your adventure with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Finally, after almost 48 hours, we have Internet.

Last night we watched "Pearl Harbor" in the Queen's Lounge. It felt strange to be watching it on location, so to speak. It took me back to the time I watched the original Dam Busters movie in the Officers' Mess at Fort Henry in Germany at the age of 13. It was located right beside the Möhnesee and it also felt very strange. I used to ride out to the Möhne Dam on my bicycle.

I was speaking to someone at the front desk regarding the danger posed by Segway guy and I was assured he had been spoken to about driving the Segway around the ship. He is restricted to going from his cabin to the gangway and vice versa. They agreed that a moving ship full of passengers was no place for a Segway.

Oh.... :( so sorry the 4 of you were unable to get out to the Arizona Memorial. I know that you all wanted to be there and pay respects. Two years ago our DD was there and she was moved to tears.

These tales of rides out to the north shore, Buddhist temple, Dole Plantation, and various other places are bringing back fond memories of a day I spent doing those things.

Such fun. How wonderful to be able to share it with friends, too.

Thanks for bringing us along.

These tales of rides out to the north shore, Buddhist temple, Dole Plantation, and various other places are bringing back fond memories of a day I spent doing those things.

Such fun. How wonderful to be able to share it with friends, too.

Thanks for bringing us along.

I agree! Thanks to all who are posting!

Spent three and a half hours out by the Seaview pool. Most people were off the ship so there was only a handful of people out there. I swam for an hour and had the pool to myself for all but ten minutes of that time.

I tried the Taco Bar for the first time and really enjoyed it. I got my tacos and then took them back to the Seaview Pool where I had a beautiful view of Diamond Head while I ate. The Captain and one other officer chose to have there lunch out there as well.

On my way back to my cabin I decided to give the bread pudding another try. It was very much as I remembered it from last year. It's OK but not the best bread pudding I ever tried.

I dropped off my donations for Fanning Island at the Front Office.

Pleasant surprise upon my return to my cabin that I could once again get on the Internet! I had to set up a personal hotspot from my phone last night to post my blog. Let's hope the service goes back to being as good (for a ship) as it was the first few days.

I tried the bread pudding again. The bread part was hard and the sauce was nothing but flavored water. It is suppose to be thick.