Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

My eyes got opened.

Something very strange happened. I was packing and DH accused me of accidentally packing the adaptor for the Bose speaker and then realized the Bose speaker was gone.

I said don't be silly - I wouldn't make that mistake. But the Bose speaker was gone!!!! Afraid we would be accused of theft and charged, I contacted the Concierge immediately. She said it should not have been removed as we were on for the 33 day cruise.

I went down to the Neptune Lounge to find out what was going on and was told that for the short repositioning cruises the speakers, etc. Were removed and for the 2 day repositioning the mini bar was locked!!!

They offered to return the Bose speaker but for the short time we had left it was no big deal. I realized this morning though I should have asked for the binoculars back. Oh well.

I had no idea this happened and there were several people in the NL this morning concerned as well.

So for those N.S. Reposition ears, I don't think you will find your Bose speaker nor your binoculars but the coffee maker remained.

My eyes got opened.

Something very strange happened. I was packing and DH accused me of accidentally packing the adaptor for the Bose speaker and then realized the Bose speaker was gone.

I said don't be silly - I wouldn't make that mistake. But the Bose speaker was gone!!!! Afraid we would be accused of theft and charged, I contacted the Concierge immediately. She said it should not have been removed as we were on for the 33 day cruise.

I went down to the Neptune Lounge to find out what was going on and was told that for the short repositioning cruises the speakers, etc. Were removed and for the 2 day repositioning the mini bar was locked!!!

They offered to return the Bose speaker but for the short time we had left it was no big deal. I realized this morning though I should have asked for the binoculars back. Oh well.

I had no idea this happened and there were several people in the NL this morning concerned as well.

So for those N.S. Reposition ears, I don't think you will find your Bose speaker nor your binoculars but the coffee maker remained.

Well -- one more new happening on the Westerdam.

All our flowers disappeared 3 days before the end of the cruise -- did they really think we would pack them to take home?

Locking the Mini Bar -- ridiculous!! Wonder how they locked the refrigerator in the PS?

Well -- one more new happening on the Westerdam.

All our flowers disappeared 3 days before the end of the cruise -- did they really think we would pack them to take home?

Locking the Mini Bar -- ridiculous!! Wonder how they locked the refrigerator in the PS?

Flowers gone? Were they dead and just not replaced or they actually removed them? Whatever for? Can't take flowers off the ship anyways - LOL.

LOL on the fridge in the PS. Good one ! The PS seemed to have all their stuff when I was there. We were supposed to keep ours too but no biggie, really. Probably why I didn't see it last year?

My orchid that I bought in Hawaii was still going gangbusters so I gave it to my next door neighbours since it had to stay on the ship.

So, a bit of back tracking. Remember that time in Bora Bora? Patrick's tour in his outrigger where we swam with the sting rays and mantras? Gigianne was kind enough to share some of her underwater pictures with me and I am delighted to share with you.

Some up close encounters with sharks and sting rays.

e44773f6b30c90fe22d37ef876820093.jpg

250eab97dff4efd11626ce2b3aa4c13a.jpg

56f4e6faf55a442f62b93df5ca973391.jpg

491d8b008d92fbf7e533af52578772bd.jpg

ac3f35e6cf90a376e35ef6acbcb3efa5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After we were done swimming with the Sharks and stingrays, it was time to go to our snorkelling spot.

Thanks again to Gigianne who had the underwater camera!!!!

b4b3b1009d77fd6ccdebc54cf78e2534.jpg

5c645fa04f6fbf3c8db6dd46bd20ecbb.jpg

2b7e6f4137e71122a3f9663d740025ff.jpg

The coral was beautiful. We could see it through the crystal blue water but the underwater pic is so nice. The coral that has colour is alive. The coral that does not has died. We are told not to stand on the coral so as not to damage it.

abdded3c3405ab3945984b96eef855d8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on our balcony this morning and did not realize there was a wine steward in our cabin - "just checking the mini bar" - sure - what she was doing was locking it.

Saw someone disembarking with a very small bag - the agent asked if that was all the luggage he had - "yup - don't need much for 3 days!" The bag he carried could only have held a shirt and a tooth brush and paste - not much else.

The mood and aura of the ship has changed with the departure of a large majority of the original passengers. Now there are a bunch of kids running amok and by that I include all those between 2 and 32. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on our balcony this morning and did not realize there was a wine steward in our cabin - "just checking the mini bar" - sure - what she was doing was locking it.

Saw someone disembarking with a very small bag - the agent asked if that was all the luggage he had - "yup - don't need much for 3 days!" The bag he carried could only have held a shirt and a tooth brush and paste - not much else.

I don't recall them locking the mini bar in our cabin. Probably not as for the last several years we have it emptied on day 1.

The mood and aura of the ship has changed with the departure of a large majority of the original passengers. Now there are a bunch of kids running amok and by that I include all those between 2 and 32. Sigh.

Sounds very similar to how the ship changed in San Diego each time we did a repositioning. The staff would raise their eyebrows as they referred to "the 4-dayers". Or 3, in one case.

For all those who got off this morning in Vancouver and thought the scenery/demographics had changed between San Diego and Vancouver ... you are missing quite a spectacle. Seems like our new fellow cruisers have really embraced the "Savour the Journey" motto. For the first time of our lives, we have now witnessed Budweiser red beer cans making their appearance in the Thermal Suite. It also seems that groups of six girls or more do not have to wear shoes when running from room to room. Also looks like quite a few older businessmen are treating their secretaries or nieces to a 2-day mini vacation. And we haven't even left Vancouver yet ... stay tuned !

For all those who got off this morning in Vancouver and thought the scenery/demographics had changed between San Diego and Vancouver ... you are missing quite a spectacle. Seems like our new fellow cruisers have really embraced the "Savour the Journey" motto. For the first time of our lives, we have now witnessed Budweiser red beer cans making their appearance in the Thermal Suite. It also seems that groups of six girls or more do not have to wear shoes when running from room to room. Also looks like quite a few older businessmen are treating their secretaries or nieces to a 2-day mini vacation. And we haven't even left Vancouver yet ... stay tuned !

You can be our eyes and ears! Almost wish we had stayed aboard to Seattle for the entertainment value. :)

It is 9;34pm and Westerdam is still tied up in Vancouver..Have any proper officer made announcement as to the delay ? She was scheduled to sail at 5;00pm and her drill was completed before 4;30pm...??? :confused:

I don't recall them locking the mini bar in our cabin. Probably not as for the last several years we have it emptied on day 1.

I suspect they don't lock it on established passengers (ie. Mariner's who have sailed before ;) )

I don't think they are worried about your credit card being refused if you go over the daily limit ;)

I am definitely staying tuned.

speaking of characters, I forgot to post that I heard that the Captain had the Segway seized and put in confinement until our Segway guy got off the ship.

Apparently he hit a passenger on the LIdo and when the Captain heard he ordered that it be seized immediately (yay). I hear he was pretty terse about it too and emphatic. (The guy had already been told twice not to ride it on the ship). Our neighbours had that magic radio where they could hear what was going on and let us know :)

Well. Yes. There is much eye rolling happening. The good news is the Pacific Pearls won Pub Trivia tonight!!!

Way to go! At 7 pm I said, "Hip! Hip! Jorge!" Missing trivia already.:(

Well. Yes. There is much eye rolling happening. The good news is the Pacific Pearls won Pub Trivia tonight!!!

YAY :) :). Congratulations :)

It is 9;34pm and Westerdam is still tied up in Vancouver..Have any proper officer made announcement as to the delay ? She was scheduled to sail at 5;00pm and her drill was completed before 4;30pm...??? :confused:

As Gigianne said,all on board was 9:30 pm. The Westerdam was set to sail at 11:59 pm all along as per the itinerary. I think she may have been going earlier, not sure, but it was never a 5pm departure that I was aware of. (As per my spread sheet ;))

Edited by kazu

Flowers gone? Were they dead and just not replaced or they actually removed them? Whatever for? Can't take flowers off the ship anyways - LOL.

LOL on the fridge in the PS. Good one ! The PS seemed to have all their stuff when I was there. We were supposed to keep ours too but no biggie, really. Probably why I didn't see it last year?

My orchid that I bought in Hawaii was still going gangbusters so I gave it to my next door neighbours since it had to stay on the ship.

They were not dead. They had just been changed about 3 days before they were removed.

We were sitting in the bar of the Pan Pacific with Mumsysailor and her husband last night around ten o'clock when we noticed the Westerdam start to move. We stepped out onto the terrace and watched her sail away without us for the first time in 33 days.

I had heard onboard that she was sailing at ten but had forgotten so I was so glad we saw her.

Now we have a day in Vancouver before we sail tomorrow on the NA to Alaska with Scrapnana, Mumsysailor and Lizzie68. Tonight we are all having a Sailaway Gang cruise reunion dinner here in Vancouver and Kazu and her husband will be joining us for that.