Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Disembarkation was a breeze this morning. I even got a hug goodbye from our Captain Van Eerten!

I took a city highlights tour which then dropped me at the airport. A beautiful day in Seattle. Now it's time to go home.

It was an amazing cruise, all around. I'm grateful and blessed for the new friends I made and our CC gang and all of activities and tours we shared.

I'd be honored to sail with you all again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did get a cruise log - sent DH down to the main desk. It is only for the 30 day cruise - as Kazu said - I guess those on for 33 days were the forgotten ones! I too will be commenting that when I complete the survey.

That happened to us on the Westerdam in 2008 -- the log was only for the repositioning part from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego.

The last 5 days to Seattle -- nothing.

And the concierges had to make a copy for us as there were none left.

I have 2 extras for the full 35 day voyage. Originals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could auction the off to the 33 day cruisers and make a pile of money :) :)

So much fun sailing with you and thanks again for being my spa "partner" for the cruise :)

Got the Cruise Log in my mailbox today - I wasn't the only one in this area - there were a few more.

Hallways are really noisy, there were about 12 people in the SB side Pinnacle suite watching the sailaway last night.

Only one 'short' toot just before the Lion's Gate Bridge, not like the almost minute-long one arriving. Maybe the sound isn't as good at night? :D

Yay on the cruise log Carole :)

You left after dark and rather later from Vancouver. Captain told us last year he doesn't dare get his finger "stuck"on the horn if it is late at night. (Doesn't want to disturb the residents'sleep).

WOW ... what a ride!

An absolute gorgeous day in Vict0riann's hometown to finish the cruise. What a nice city.

Fueled by gigianne-sponsored Prosecco and sapper1-sponsored beer, packing has been a breeze.

A special thanks to kazu for all she did to make this cruise the success it was despite the missed ports and the weather. Her organization skills allowed Lisa and I to meet so many wonderful CC friends we hope to sail with again and again in the future.

Keep in touch !!! Cheers to all !!!

It was our pleasure to meet you two and all our wonderful roll call members.

Hope we find ourselves on a cruise with you again.

And thank you AGAIN, for serving as sommelier par excellence at our special wine tasting. Thank you to your DH too for all the help at that event. She is good.

That wine tasting made our sea day a lot of fun :)

Edited by kazu

Send me an email with your address, Jacqui. I'll mail you my cruise log when we get back from the east coast. I don't plan on keeping it.

Thank you for the kind offer Angie :).

I got your email before I saw this.

Sitting in Toronto airport for our next leg of the journey on our infamous puddle hopper. Our 7 hour connection was reduced to waiting5 hours since the earlier flight was delayed by two hours. Now why couldn't they have told us that BEFORE we got up at 5 AM and before we got to the airport.

Maintenance issue - better safe though, so I shan't complain - had to wait somewhere today. LOL:rolleyes::p:D:mad:

Brandon....has anyone heard from Brandon????

No wonder the Internet doesn't work well - the Internet Manager Brandon doesn't know how to communicate.

This is Kazu's one BIG complaint on this cruise. Internet has been iffy at best and days without any access.

Despite the "Let us Know What You Think" cards completed and the promise that the elusive Brandon would be in touch with me, nothing.

Apparently they are going to refund a portion of the Internet cost but if the amount is accurate, the same for everyone or only those that complained is another question in itself. From the little I have discerned different people are receiving different amounts?????

Here's my suggestion, with all the issues we have had, why wasn't a letter sent out to EVERYONE who had paid for Internet apologizing for the poor service and advising they were doing something? Or, just apologize.

Instead I have had to follow up day after day after day.

I have never heard so many "lines" about why the Internet isn't working - "doesn't work with IPad", "time is wrong on IPad so Internet doesn't work" - just a bunch of hogwash. Then there was the bull*** baffles brains attempt - "the earth is round & satellite only goes one way, etc., etc., etc." I am no techie, but I have used the IPad for several years now on TA's, distant cruises and a CC friend was in the South Pacific last year with her IPad and didn't have these issues, so something is very wrong in Denmark IMO.

I was on the ship last year and Internet was good. I get a couple hours here and there but days without Internet?? Or some people on and others not able to get on?? Didn't we all pay for it???

It's a shame the Internet Manager wasn't more knowledgeable and more proactive. I think it would have been appreciated by many.

Kazu's one big complaint and JMVHO

Internet has not been working well today (again) bumping me out , but I do want to report that Brandon did call.

Apparently I was supposed to get a letter. Told him never got it.

Isn't it amazing how all the junk can get in your mail box, every invitation,every PG reservation, etc. But this didn't? My stewards are fabulous so I don't think it is their fault.

Taxmantoo told me tonight he got a letter. I still haven't received one.

I guess I will see what is what when I get off tomorrow.

I just hate inconsistency, but it's bump I'll post pics tomorrow if Internet works or when I am at the hotel waiting to check in.

All my bags are out - I'm ready to go [sigh]. Not the same as when you are ready to go on the cruise.

Cheers.

Just an update on the internet situation. Different people got different amounts or percentages from a few people that I talked to. Not sure if only those who complained got reimbursed or not.

It was nice of them to do so,no question,but.....

When Brandon called me (I think the proper title is marketing manager),he said that there had been a mistake in my calculation and Iwould see three strange entries but they would all pertain to reimbursement.

When I got my final statement the only reimbursementI had was the original one that I had asked about. Nothing else.

That morning I still hadn't received anything in writing,no letter,nothing.

this is a great ship with a great crew so I don't want tarnish anything about it,but there is nothing more maddening than a promise made that isn't kept.

Yes,Kazu is very principled. It's not the $,it's the principle of the thing.

I do hope they get the Internet figured out as it was great on the ship last year and hopefully it is again for future cruises.

Yes, we certainly do not want to turn a wonderful cruise experience sour for a few $ refunded because of less then favorable internet. However - if refunds are given it should be pro rated based on the plan purchased. People talk amongst themselves - some got 50% back, others a $ amount - some more, some less and some passengers got nothing!

Yes, we certainly do not want to turn a wonderful cruise experience sour for a few $ refunded because of less then favorable internet. However - if refunds are given it should be pro rated based on the plan purchased. People talk amongst themselves - some got 50% back, others a $ amount - some more, some less and some passengers got nothing!

Exactly Gigianne!!!

We are home. I did;t get around to complaining about the internet but we did have some reimbursements that I didn't know what they were for.

Welcome home Judy. We got in this morning around 2:30 AM. Time to head back to reality.

Once I get a bit of the bags dealt with I will post some more pics that I couldn't get up when we were on the ship. Most likely tomorrow ;)

I got nothing. But since it was much cheaper than my 'minutes counts' cruises, I still figure I'm ahead.

Carole

Loved following you along on your shared thread, so much so that we booked for September on Amsterdam!

We'll have your same ports plus a few more... so a few questions...

Did you need any visas pre-arranged?

Is there a shot for Dengue fever?

Any advice on how to deal better with the internet issues?

Thanks for all you've posted. I know now not to expect to get into Raratonga, especially after the Word Cruise had a tender hang up on the reef, damaged and out of service for a good bit of their remaining cruise. We will have a great many tender ports, 12 of 23, so I'm not making private plans for those ports, seems too iffy.

I do hope we have your excellent On Location guides, seems they added so much to your experience.

Many thanks to all of you for all you've shared, m--

A big thank you to everyone who shared their Pacific peregrination with all of us at home. We were fortunate to briefly enjoy 4 days aboard the Westerdam from San Diego to Vancouver and we truly enjoyed meeting some of you on board.

A special thanks goes out to Kazu and friends for making my shipmate's surprise party such a success. She (& I) had so much fun and you all made it very special for her.

May we all meet again on the high seas!

Sphynxie

Thanks to all, for their contributions to this live thread. I am taking this one next March on the Maasdam and appreciate the reviews you have done. One question, was there any talk of the Zika virus there or the chances of it making it there? Also interested in the Dengue fever shot, posted above. I am sorry that your weather was so abnormal, but sounds like you all made the best of it.

Just finished reading this live thread after returning from the cruise from Seattle. I guess we missed out on a nice mariner's medallion reception. While on the 30 day cruise we got a letter saying we would be invited to one on the 5 day portion of the cruise to Seattle. On the 5 day segment we got a letter saying they were out of the medallions and would mail them to us at home. So no reception for us.

Nice cruise just wish the weather had cooperated. We've cruised there two other times in April with perfect weather. Weather can certainly be unpredictable.

I think everyone has already said most of what we've been thinking but have to say this was an amazing cruise despite the weather. Having been involved with such a large and active roll call certainly helped to make the cruise memorable.

It was interesting to see how the "vibe" of the ship changed with so many getting off in San Diego and the birders, with their assorted equipment, getting on. They all had to get off in Vancouver and then the party people arrived. I saw more buckets of beer being delivered that day in Vancouver than I did the other 33 days combined! It was a crazy couple of days. Thanks to Ann and Pat for having Victoria give us such a glorious day!

I hope Loren and I have the opportunity to sail with all of you again. --Susie

Happy to hear from just about all that you're home safe and sound. I'm suffering "cruise withdrawal" already! - Now that I have finished all the laundry.....

I enjoyed the Sit and Stitch, too, also we are now inspired to foray into the jungle of Trivia for our next cruise as everyone put up with us so kindly. SusieK and taxmantoo, I wish we could have done something with you all in Victoria, glad you had a nice day.

We did have a refund at the end of the cruise for $58, which I thought might be internet, but on further reflection we decided it must have been the PG dinner we cancelled. The statement did not say very clearly what they were doing, and we had already had $29 back earlier for "loyalty", which I guess was out 4-star discount. I have no idea how they figure everything out!:eek:

John and I aren't letting any moss grow under our feet! We arrived in Pensacola, FL this morning just in time to watch the Blue Angels practice before meeting members of John's former squadron, the Red Rippers, for lunch. The reunion continues with activities through tomorrow evening at Margaritaville Beach Resort. The weather here is perfect [emoji267][emoji531][emoji483]382d89ef301ebf3a68cae3677dda6134.jpg85c7d956d52e79655cdff044efa55099.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Loved following you along on your shared thread, so much so that we booked for September on Amsterdam!

We'll have your same ports plus a few more... so a few questions...

Did you need any visas pre-arranged?

Is there a shot for Dengue fever?

Any advice on how to deal better with the internet issues?

Thanks for all you've posted. I know now not to expect to get into Raratonga, especially after the Word Cruise had a tender hang up on the reef, damaged and out of service for a good bit of their remaining cruise. We will have a great many tender ports, 12 of 23, so I'm not making private plans for those ports, seems too iffy.

I do hope we have your excellent On Location guides, seems they added so much to your experience.

Many thanks to all of you for all you've shared, m--

Sorry, I missed this question. Called away unexpectedly due to a very sad death in the family.

To answer your questions - there were no visas required for us (Canadian)nor for our American friends.

Currently,there is no shot for Dengue Fever. The best protection is insect repellant. Our guides warned us it was there and to put it on if it wasn't already.

Internet - best reception is early morning (really early) or late at night BUT if there is not satellite reception, that advice doesn't help. Internet on most of the island's is iffy at best so this is one time you do need the ship's Internet to work.

Of course you can compose anything off line and save it and then copy and paste when it is working. Our experience with this Internet was a shock after the previous year's wonderful reception on the same ship so, hopefully it will be corrected soon.