Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

We are docked in Victoria on this beautiful day, our last port of call before we must disembark tomorrow in Seattle. The "young-ins" were up and noisy in the halls late into the night. Sigh. But the upside to that is, at 7:00 AM in the Lido, there are no lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are docked in Victoria on this beautiful day, our last port of call before we must disembark tomorrow in Seattle. The "young-ins" were up and noisy in the halls late into the night. Sigh. But the upside to that is, at 7:00 AM in the Lido, there are no lines.

I wish I had been able to stay on with you guys for the final leg of the cruise. I miss all of my new friends already. My next cruise will be nothing like this one - no spreadsheet, no big roll call, no one has even started a meet and greet yet. I hope things pick up but it can be nothing like the "Pearls of the Pacific" group. Had a great time meeting everyone and will think of you often. Hope to sail with you again.

Dot

One thing that surprised me. NO cruise log!!! WHAT???? I was really looking forward to getting the cruise log for this cruise. Those that got off in San Diego got one (we didn't).

Obviously, only the 33 day 'guests' didn't get one. After you posted that yesterday, I went to inquire at the front desk this morning to see if they might have any left overs from San Diego. She said we would be receiving ours tonight.

I don't know why the 33 day people didn't get one and she didn't seem to know either.

... I forgot to post that I heard that the Captain had the Segway seized and put in confinement until our Segway guy got off the ship.

Really! Oh, that is nice to know. Thanks.

It's a shame it had to come to that; the passenger should have known better in the first place (let alone after being told to cease & desist). :rolleyes: But glad that the Captain put an absolute end to it, even though it was after some damage was done.

I have had many HAL crew tell me how much they dislike the short 5 and 4 night cruises.

HAL crews are used to longer cruises and building relationships with their passengers. I have a few crew friends that I have kept in touch with since 1982.

We purposely booked the 11 night Mexico cruise out of Vancouver to avoid being on a short coastal. We have done several B2B's that included the Coastal and don't care for the craziness pf those short cruises. One reason we eat in PG every night- we avoid the crowds.

Well, they are selling the YVR-SAN part now as a Caostal so no such luck. Bose sound dock better be in our stateroom though!

Edited by frankc98376

We were sitting in the bar of the Pan Pacific with Mumsysailor and her husband last night around ten o'clock when we noticed the Westerdam start to move. We stepped out onto the terrace and watched her sail away without us for the first time in 33 days.

I had heard onboard that she was sailing at ten but had forgotten so I was so glad we saw her.

Now we have a day in Vancouver before we sail tomorrow on the NA to Alaska with Scrapnana, Mumsysailor and Lizzie68. Tonight we are all having a Sailaway Gang cruise reunion dinner here in Vancouver and Kazu and her husband will be joining us for that.

Looking forward to the Sail a Way reunion tonight :).

We had a lovely "late" anniversary celebration dinner with Gigianne last night at the Keg. It was pretty dam good too :)

Obviously, only the 33 day 'guests' didn't get one. After you posted that yesterday, I went to inquire at the front desk this morning to see if they might have any left overs from San Diego. She said we would be receiving ours tonight.

I don't know why the 33 day people didn't get one and she didn't seem to know either.

Glad you are getting yours. :) If we had even gotten the 30 day if they weren't doing the 33 day, it would have been nice.

I looked down our hall and saw no cruise logs at all.

I guess the 33 day people didn't count - LOL.

I have had many HAL crew tell me how much they dislike the short 5 and 4 night cruises.

HAL crews are used to longer cruises and building relationships with their passengers. I have a few crew friends that I have kept in touch with since 1982.

We purposely booked the 11 night Mexico cruise out of Vancouver to avoid being on a short coastal. We have done several B2B's that included the Coastal and don't care for the craziness pf those short cruises. One reason we eat in PG every night- we avoid the crowds.

Well, they are selling the YVR-SAN part now as a Caostal so no such luck. Bose sound dock better be in our stateroom though!

It should be there Frank I would think. If it isn't just ask the concierge and I am sure it will be put back in for you :).

If ours hadn't been removed "in error" I would never have known about this. Not sure if it happens on all short cruises or just this one. those repositionings were only 2 and 3 days. The 2 day was a big concern,I gathered.

Edited by kazu

Enjoy Victoria Sherita!!! It's a beautiful city.

Safe travels home to you and all of our remaining roll call getting off in Seattle.

Looking forward to the Sail a Way reunion tonight :).

We had a lovely "late" anniversary celebration dinner with Gigianne last night at the Keg. It was pretty dam good too :)

Glad you are getting yours. :) If we had even gotten the 30 day if they weren't doing the 33 day, it would have been nice.

It has been reported in another thread that the Cruise Logs have been discontinued on some of the HAL ships on some of the more recent sailings.

I personally like to receive them, as I like to keep track of how far we've sailed. :)

If you can extend your stay out there you might want to consider it. It's been raining a lot here and it's quite cold ( currently 8C).

There were none in my hallway either. I'm going to let HAL know in my survey how disappointed I was that the 30 and 35 day people got a Cruise Log but the 33 day people were forgotten.

Looking forward to seeing the "gang" tonight!

It has been reported in another thread that the Cruise Logs have been discontinued on some of the HAL ships on some of the more recent sailings.

I personally like to receive them, as I like to keep track of how far we've sailed. :)

If you can extend your stay out there you might want to consider it. It's been raining a lot here and it's quite cold ( currently 8C).

That figures (on the weather). I guess I better not wear the sandals when we land - LOL. Can't extend the vacation - been away long enough. It figures we would have bad weather to greet us.

I saw the mention of lack of cruise logs prior to our cruise, but I thought that with the 30 day receiving theirs and with this being a longer "bucket list" cruise we would receive ours. Like Kathi,(Scrapnana), I will be making note of it in our survey. I have always kept them and enjoyed receiving them.

On our last day,with no cruise log and no On Location, I had to ask what time breakfast was being served:eek: After all, we could starve. :p;)

Just curious. I know some people got off in Vancouver and will board NA tomorrow, but do you know of anyone continuing from the Pearls to the Great Land on the Westerdam?

Roy

That figures (on the weather). I guess I better not wear the sandals when we land - LOL. Can't extend the vacation - been away long enough. It figures we would have bad weather to greet us.

I saw the mention of lack of cruise logs prior to our cruise, but I thought that with the 30 day receiving theirs and with this being a longer "bucket list" cruise we would receive ours. Like Kathi,(Scrapnana), I will be making note of it in our survey. I have always kept them and enjoyed receiving them.

On our last day,with no cruise log and no On Location, I had to ask what time breakfast was being served:eek: After all, we could starve. :p;)

Send me an email with your address, Jacqui. I'll mail you my cruise log when we get back from the east coast. I don't plan on keeping it.

WOW ... what a ride!

An absolute gorgeous day in Vict0riann's hometown to finish the cruise. What a nice city.

Fueled by gigianne-sponsored Prosecco and sapper1-sponsored beer, packing has been a breeze.

A special thanks to kazu for all she did to make this cruise the success it was despite the missed ports and the weather. Her organization skills allowed Lisa and I to meet so many wonderful CC friends we hope to sail with again and again in the future.

Keep in touch !!! Cheers to all !!!

I did get a cruise log - sent DH down to the main desk. It is only for the 30 day cruise - as Kazu said - I guess those on for 33 days were the forgotten ones! I too will be commenting that when I complete the survey.

Got the Cruise Log in my mailbox today - I wasn't the only one in this area - there were a few more.

Hallways are really noisy, there were about 12 people in the SB side Pinnacle suite watching the sailaway last night.

Only one 'short' toot just before the Lion's Gate Bridge, not like the almost minute-long one arriving. Maybe the sound isn't as good at night? :D

I love that your neighbor saved all the towel animals! If I'd done that in my little OV cabin there'd be no room for me to sleep!

Ditto! That pic made me smile:)

I wish I had been able to stay on with you guys for the final leg of the cruise. I miss all of my new friends already. My next cruise will be nothing like this one - no spreadsheet, no big roll call, no one has even started a meet and greet yet. I hope things pick up but it can be nothing like the "Pearls of the Pacific" group. Had a great time meeting everyone and will think of you often. Hope to sail with you again.

Dot

WE, too, Dot. Take care and hope we sail with you again! Enjoyed our chats. :)

WOW ... what a ride!

An absolute gorgeous day in Vict0riann's hometown to finish the cruise. What a nice city.

Fueled by gigianne-sponsored Prosecco and sapper1-sponsored beer, packing has been a breeze.

A special thanks to kazu for all she did to make this cruise the success it was despite the missed ports and the weather. Her organization skills allowed Lisa and I to meet so many wonderful CC friends we hope to sail with again and again in the future.

Keep in touch !!! Cheers to all !!!

Thanks for the great wine tasting event! Perhaps we'll meet again.....

To everyone who reported from the cruise,

What a great blog! I've been unable to visit CC much lately, but was able to read the entire thing in bits. Sorry the weather was so bad, but I really enjoyed traveling with you all. Thanks so much!

Dave