Why P&O? (as opposed to the US mainstream lines)

Velvetwater

Because, if you had read properly, what I said, it was the snooty anti-Thomson remarks that have appeared on here from time to time.

Regarding the "newer" ships, Thomson are primarily a holiday company, that also do cruises. I'm sure P&O wouldn't be able to have new ships if they weren't backed by Carnival. Never mind,Thomson now have the backing of RCI, although all the new ships at the moment seem to be going to Germany!

Of course P&O don't have their own airline do they?

"Because, if you had read properly, what I said, it was the snooty anti-Thomson remarks that have appeared on here from time to time"

Certainly wasn't that wording in the comment you made that I responded to. See above, I quoted it in full.

Edited by Solent Richard

I was on a P&O cruise to Norway and was having an interesting conversation with a 'gentleman' about wildlife and whales etc in particular. I mentioned my amazing experience while returning from the north cape. We had the privilage of seeing Orca feeding on a bait ball really close to the ship. "what ship was that" he said, "Thomson Spirit" I replied. He promptly turned on his heel and walked away without uttering another word:eek: SNOB :D:D

ps - i know Orca are not whales

What I really love is when cruisers are labelled 'snobs' when they just happen either not to like or want anything to do with lower quality/budget cruise lines and have a preference for what is perceived to be the finer things in life.

Is it an individuals insecurity that brings out these traits or just plain envy?

And not to digress too far from what has obviously become a Thomson v P&O debate, would anyone care to speculate on which of those two cruise lines carries the more passengers on any given day of the year?

Ah yes SR but once they have their 3 newest ships, Splendour OTS and Celebrities Galaxy and Mercury, they will be more like P&O than P&O are, or at least for the mid size ship P&O stalwarts.

Good afternoon John.

Well Err yes. But won't that mean that Thomson will be operating ships 'Third Hand'?

15534370852_ebd56f1722_z.jpg

Funnily enough I took that photograph while transitting the Dardanelles on Azura, while heading into the Black Sea...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/azuras-black-sea-cruise/

But hey, don't let us take anything away from Thomson, all those balconies that they will now have to sell with beds that fit together to make a double.:D:D

What I really love is when cruisers are labelled 'snobs' when they just happen either not to like or want anything to do with lower quality/budget cruise lines and have a preference for what is perceived to be the finer things in life.

Is it an individuals insecurity that brings out these traits or just plain envy?

And not to digress too far from what has obviously become a Thomson v P&O debate, would anyone care to speculate on which of those two cruise lines carries the more passengers on any given day of the year?

When they turn on their heel and walk away they are displaying bad manners and apparently don't even want to talk to someone who has cruised on that 'other' cruise line. Is it an individuals insecurity that brings out these traits or just plain snobbery? :rolleyes:

It is not a Thomson v P&O debate, it has become a snob debate.

What has the daily passenger load got to do with anything :confused:

I was thinking to myself that this was a nice thread, with no nastiness, then things started fraying.

The man who turned and walked away was just displaying very very bad manners.

Does it matter which line is better. From all posts we have surmised that different things appeal to different people and based on what they want from a cruise they will book the line that best supplies it.

For some it's the American lines, for some it's the British lines. This started off with why people book British lines. Let's just leave it there.

I was thinking to myself that this was a nice thread, with no nastiness, then things started fraying.

The man who turned and walked away was just displaying very very bad manners.

Does it matter which line is better. From all posts we have surmised that different things appeal to different people and based on what they want from a cruise they will book the line that best supplies it.

For some it's the American lines, for some it's the British lines. This started off with why people book British lines. Let's just leave it there.

Of course it does not matter which line is 'better'. Best to get back to the original point :)

Wow...didnt expect my thread to explode into this but ah well :)

The only reason I put P&O/Thompson together is their Britishness..I am not sure about Fred Olsen/Saga(?) as I am in my twenties and thus too young.

I think we feel liek we prefer the atmosphere on American lines (I love my countrymen but we seem to be less social with strangers on holiday) as we found our predominantly UK Celebrity cruise less 'buzzing' and people stuck to their own. Not sure if this was a line or nationality thing so I am ready to be surprised.

We usually chose cruises for itinerary too but have started too love a certain feel of a ship....indifferent to size/age as long as theres enough to do but prefer newer ships for eco and sanitary purposes.

I have noted the drinks and kettles in rooms and that is big plus but I have found UK lines to be quite high in price compard to US lines. When it seems like there is more to do on a US line it seems more of a bargain.

I think it would have to be a deal for me to get on P&O but Thompson just seems to be overpriced for what they give you despite some interesting ports.

Horses for courses as someone said.

In addition i would think richard would be happy with the Thomson business model of chartering ships rather than having to find the capital to build them, after all he is a TUI shareholder.

The Thomson Discovery is almost a year younger than the Oriana and had a substantial interior refurbishment a few years ago.

Trivia question - what is special about the Thomson Spirit ?

Answer - when built she was called the Nieuw Amsterdam and was the flagship of the Holland America Line. She still has the presidential suite and boardroom ;)

Trivia question but wrong answer.

The Nieuw Amsterdam was never, ever, the flagship of Holland America.

That honour went to the SS Rotterdam V.

Nieuw Amsterdam entered service in 1983 and I was at the naming ceremony in St Nazaire France as I worked on Holland America Line in those days on their flagship SS Rotterdam (V) also known as The Grande Dame.

The liner, and yes she was a liner that gave Stephan Payne the ships architect of QM2 the ideas on how QM2 should look.

Nieuw Amsterdam has had a checkered history and had a few name changes over the years. She is still owned by Holland America and is chartered to Louis Cruise Line here in Cyprus where I live. Louis cruise line, in turn, leases it to Thomson.

Back on track!

My last cruise was on Britannia because it was a good itinerary and was going to places he hadn't been before.

My next cruise is on Emerald Princess because its going to places I enjoy.

My cruise before Britannia was with Royal Caribbean because it was going to places I enjoy and some I had not been to before.

Price comes into this but its a balance, I blow no horn for any line, its what tickles my fancy when I look.

I have to say Britannia was lovely and will probably do the same trip again if the price is right.

Hi All

Had cruised a few lines before sticking with Princess,

Had a long look at Britannia when she came out, chatted to folks who liked P&O but decided P&O was just to British, part of being on holiday for me is to experience the new,

I like the international feeling on Princess, have seen up 80 nationalities onboard

yours Shogun

It doesn't bother me how old a ship is. In fact when we first started cruising, we were on Athena, built in 1939 at the Stockholm and she sunk the Andria Doria! She had been totally refurbished obviously and was delightful. Only 15000 tons and we went to the Caribbean and back!
Actually, Jean, according to Wikipedia ;) she was built in 1948. But still older than me! (just ;) )

Just to lighten the thread up a bit:

I have a postcard from my dad, when he was on the Nieuw Amstedam (1937) sailing from Durban on 7/11/41 arriving on 25/11/41 at Port Tewfik (Suez). He was a Warrant Officer in the RAF, and shared a cabin with 3 others. Part of his return trip 3 years later was on the 'Grey Ghost' (Queen Mary's WW2 nickname). He was never keen to go on a cruise again!

Just to add my tuppence worth I cruise with P&O because I like it, I have no wish to cruise on a ship where every announcement has to be made in numerous languages I had enough of that in Spanish hotels.

If I want to experience American "Wow Factors" I have a holiday in The USA, there are cruise lines out there to suit every taste/budget why do we have to have people demanding to have cruise lines change their standards to suit them.

I have no doubt I may give Princess a try in the future but I will never cruise on RCI or Carnival as their product has no attraction whatsoever, I have tried FO but would not rush back, MCS, NCL,Costa have no attraction whatsoever.

Horses for courses, we all look for different things while cruising that is why so many cruise lines are out there, would be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing.

Just to add my tuppence worth I cruise with P&O because I like it, I have no wish to cruise on a ship where every announcement has to be made in numerous languages I had enough of that in Spanish hotels.

If I want to experience American "Wow Factors" I have a holiday in The USA, there are cruise lines out there to suit every taste/budget why do we have to have people demanding to have cruise lines change their standards to suit them.

I have no doubt I may give Princess a try in the future but I will never cruise on RCI or Carnival as their product has no attraction whatsoever, I have tried FO but would not rush back, MCS, NCL,Costa have no attraction whatsoever.

Horses for courses, we all look for different things while cruising that is why so many cruise lines are out there, would be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing.

Very true, well said :)

Nieuw Amsterdam entered service in 1983 and I was at the naming ceremony in St Nazaire France as I worked on Holland America Line in those days on their flagship SS Rotterdam (V) also known as The Grande Dame.

The liner, and yes she was a liner that gave Stephan Payne the ships architect of QM2 the ideas on how QM2 should look.

Nieuw Amsterdam has had a checkered history and had a few name changes over the years. She is still owned by Holland America and is chartered to Louis Cruise Line here in Cyprus where I live. Louis cruise line, in turn, leases it to Thomson.

Oops :o

I got that one wrong, I think read it online but can't remember where. I wonder what they used the presidential suite and boardroom for :confused:

The poster has already cruised with American lines. He always steps back from booking P and O and wondered why people book with them.

People were replying as to why they book P and O.

To some people the very things that some people like the American lines for are the very same things that would make others step back from booking with them.

Very true.

That dreadful over cooked streaky bacon that, when you put your fork in it, heads across the restaurant faster than the rabbit at a greyhound track.:)

In addition i would think richard would be happy with the Thomson business model of chartering ships rather than having to find the capital to build them, after all he is a TUI shareholder.

The Thomson Discovery is almost a year younger than the Oriana and had a substantial interior refurbishment a few years ago.

Trivia question - what is special about the Thomson Spirit ?

Answer - when built she was called the Nieuw Amsterdam and was the flagship of the Holland America Line. She still has the presidential suite and boardroom ;)

Well thanks for that MaggieMou.

The perfect 'Shoe-in' for my next comment.

Edited by Solent Richard

Oops :o

I got that one wrong, I think read it online but can't remember where. I wonder what they used the presidential suite and boardroom for :confused:

No problem Dave, you're forgiven.

I had to correct another member recently who put completely false words into the mouth of the lady at the private dining table on the Princess Cruise UK TV 'fly on the wall' documentary.

Very true, well said :)

And from me also.

I particularly liked your..."there are cruise lines out there to suit every taste/budget"

Oh for the good old days when P&O posters would look down their noses at those of us that cruised on Ocean Village.

Now most of us are on P&O,

what goes round comes round.

I thought P&O was now Ocean Village reincarnated

Oh for the good old days when P&O posters would look down their noses at those of us that cruised on Ocean Village.

Now most of us are on P&O,

what goes round comes round.

Oh I am sure you can still look down your nose at them. Only it's easier as they are on your ship. :) :) :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure why people are expected to justify which lines they cruise with. The OP asked why people didn't go with the American lines and I think they have been given various reasons why. We cruise mainly with P&O because we like their product - we like the mix of formal/casual evenings - we like being on a ship that doesn't add 15-18% to any on board spend - we like the entertainment - my husband really enjoys shuffleboard - we enjoy most of the select restaurants - we like being able to go from Southampton if we wish - I've probably made us sound very boring! We know the different things that are offered on American ships but they do not appeal to us so we don't book on an American ship - having said that we may, at some point, when we have saved enough go on Seabourn just to try it.

We have been on Cunard and Fred Olsen (our first cruise was with FO) but we prefer P&O. So isn't it lucky that there are cruise lines to appeal to everyone - we don't all like the same thing.

I have been fortunate to have been on many cruises (70+) and on several different cruise lines though the VAST majority have been on Celebrity, RCI and princess. Throw in a few NCL and 1 HAL. I have been P&O twice and I'm afraid I was very surprised and disappointed with what I experienced. I am not going to get into boring details, well maybe one.

I would like to know whether Brits have ever heard of a salad bar? Not just lettuce, cucumber and something called salad cream. No vegetables or beans or anything else. No Thousand Island, Ranch, Blue cheese nor Caesar. As a veggie (I just don't like meat) I always look forward to a nice salad at lunch and dinner. I was never satisfied. Now would this make me avoid a P&O cruise in the future? Possibly.

It is wonderful that the world is full of cruising options. You have to work very hard to have a bad day on a cruise, ANY cruise.

Edited by wendychloecruiser