San Diego Hotel Pre-cruise

LDVinNC

I have been checking hotels for a couple of nights before our cruise in March 2017. I am amazed and appalled at the rates I am seeing - most well over $300/night and the Marriott's cheapest available room in $999! I have booked the Four Points Sheraton Downtown which is reasonable, but does anyone have a better idea? Has anyone stayed at the Four Points downtown? Is it in a good location, with restaurants and shops in walking range? Thanks.

A quick search finds dozens of hotel threads and recommendations. A quick selection:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2244423&highlight=san+diego+hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2235016&highlight=san+diego+hotel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221969&highlight=san+diego+hotel

The San Diego port area has a very large convention center nearby, and MANY large conventions. As a result, hotels can be expensive when demand is high.

Thanks...I have tried many of the hotels - Embassy, Wyndham, Omni, etc - mentioned in these posts, and all except the Four Points either show no rooms available or rooms over $300. There must be something big going on then. I will stick with what I have for now and check back periodically, I guess.

What are the dates you're looking for? Did you look at the hotels on Hotel Circle? Those would need a car rental to get around the area.

Edited by SadieN

We want 2 nights, March 22 and 23. We do not want to rent a car, preferring to walk to restaurants and shops.

IMHO, you are booking the hotel too early for a good deal. Right now, you will only get "standard" hotel rates. I find my best deals about 1 month or 2 months before. San Diego has plenty of hotels near the port and downtown.

For two nights, I'd encourage you to re-think renting a car so you can see more of the area. San Diego is a beautiful town. You'll want to see Old Town, Balboa Park, drive across the bridge and have a drink at the Hotel del Coronado. If you stay at hotel circle, you can get a less expensive room than at the convention center, and use that for the car. But, a good hotel in San Diego will never be inexpensive. It's a year-round destination.

I have been checking hotels for a couple of nights before our cruise in March 2017. I am amazed and appalled at the rates I am seeing - most well over $300/night and the Marriott's cheapest available room in $999! I have booked the Four Points Sheraton Downtown which is reasonable, but does anyone have a better idea? Has anyone stayed at the Four Points downtown? Is it in a good location, with restaurants and shops in walking range? Thanks.

If you don't mind not being downtown, look at the Bay Club Hotel and Marina, 2131 Shelter Island Drive. Worth a look-see...

Since no one has directly addressed the Four Points, let me add a little here...

I have not actually stayed there...In the area, I've stayed at the now closed "W" and at the US Grant...

The location of the Four Points is not terrible...but it's in more of the business area of Downtown than the tourist area...There are some Restaurants in Little Italy, a few blocks west of your hotel...Most of the restaurants and walking area will be 6-10 blocks south of you in what is known as the Gaslamp Quarter...

So, if your idea of a nice pre-cruise stay is to be where you can walk out of your hotel and find restaurants, shopping and nightlife right outside and easily within reach, keep looking for deals on hotels in the Gaslamp...sort of near the Horton Plaza Shopping Mall...between approximately C and J, 1st and 6th...

That would be my first choice area in which to stay...

Also look in the area just to the South of that--around Petco Park (the Padres Stadium) and Seaport Village (often included by many in delineating the Gaslamp)...

I am not a big fan of Shelter Island--it's just a strip of airport adjacent hotels and there's nowhere to walk from there. Hotel Circle/Mission Valley has lots of hotels...and some shopping malls and office buildings...and FREEWAYS...but, it's fairly boring...okay as long as you have a car...There is a HOHO "Trolley Tour" that can take you all over the area.--but it pretty much bypasses Hotel Circle:

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/san-diego-map.html

I'd keep that reservation while keeping on researching alternatives...Find anything better and just cancel that one.

Good luck...

We stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in December and got an amazing deal on Hotwire for it! The hotel is beautiful and in the Seaport district so easy walk to restaurants and the Midway. We did it post cruise (San Pedro) so no idea where the port is in relation to it, but would recommend this hotel based on our experience!

We stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in December and got an amazing deal on Hotwire for it! The hotel is beautiful and in the Seaport district so easy walk to restaurants and the Midway. We did it post cruise (San Pedro) so no idea where the port is in relation to it, but would recommend this hotel based on our experience!

The Manchester Grand Hyatt is in a great location...it is adjacent to Seaport Village...only about, maybe, 4 or 5 blocks to the Cruise Pier... a few blocks walk east on Market into the Gaslamp...

Edited by Bruin Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked for a pre-cruise night in San Diego at the Urban Boutique Hotel, airport pick-up, great rates, breakfast included, under $100 for King for 2 for Thursday night in late September, but don't know about next year or other times. Very good reviews. Couple blocks north and a little east of the cruise port. Free cancellation.

It's a bit of a walk to the cruise terminal (maybe 10-12 blocks total) so we may do a cab, or walk/roll if the weather is good, either way is ok. Small rooms (think Europe) and only a shower, no tub, but for one night I'm sure it'll be fine for us. YMMV. I figure what we can save on the hotel we can spend on a shore excursion. Free WiFI, elevator, AC but old style.

I found it on Booking dot com, cheaper than hotel's rates on their own direct website. It's also on Hotels dot com, a little higher prices. It's next to Little Italy so we will plan dinner there after our late afternoon flight.

m--

Not sure of the rate or if it stll there, but the Holiday Day Inn is across the street from the pier. Easy walk. Also close to Little Italy and walkable. Plenty of great restaurants there. Enjoy your cruise.

Bill

Not sure of the rate or if it still there, but the Holiday Day Inn is across the street from the pier. Easy walk. A quick taxi ride from the airport. Also close to Little Italy and walkable. Plenty of great restaurants there. Enjoy your cruise.

Bill

We have stayed at the BW-Bayside Inn which has been completely remodeled over the past few years. Quiet area but only 4 blocks to the waterfront attractions. They offer free shuttles to and from the airport and cruise pier. It's kitty corner from a terrific Italian restaurant call Petrini's which is great for dinner. Both places we would visit again.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/CA/San-Diego-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Bayside-Inn/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=05362

http://www.petrinissandiego.com/

Not sure of the rate or if it still there, but the Holiday Day Inn is across the street from the pier. Easy walk. A quick taxi ride from the airport. Also close to Little Italy and walkable. Plenty of great restaurants there. Enjoy your cruise.

Bill

That has not been a Holiday Inn for at least 3 years. It is now the Wyndham San Diego Bayside. It is an OK hotel...nothing special except for its closeness to the pier.