Are folks losing interest in Meet & Mingle Roll Calls?

If I were to make a suggestion.....visit other threads about the ship that you are sailing on.....and ask if people are going on your cruise give date. Make a suggestion to anyone cruising on your sailing to sign up for the roll call. Be active yourself and it may create more participants.

Thank you, good advice ,travelling Jewel of the seas 24th July .. Might be more thread after her refurb :)

I expect to sleep in on my cruise - all mornings, with the exception of debarkation morning (as we're often up late when cruising)! The one exception to this would be when we're cruising to new ports and have plans... then there's a reason to awaken early . When we're not cruising, my normal wake up time is 5:30, except on gym mornings when it's 3:45... :eek:

I did send in an email first thing this morning, and cited the 9:30 time as being too early for me. I did not ask them to alter it (I suppose I'm the outlier)! I'd go for a 10:30-11:00 time frame, but 9:30 just seems to be pushing it... again, for me! :)

Tom

You're not alone. I'm a night owl and sleep in during cruises except for port days when we're in early. Even then, I'm not the one that tries to rush off the ship. If my excursion is booked later, then I sleep, head to the Windjammer for breakfast and then stroll off the ship. I've been known to be called a vampire but whatever...

More power to you on waking early for the gym. Tried that for a month. It was a great feeling AFTER I was done but I'd much prefer to sleep. I'll work out after work or during my lunch hour, thank you very much. I'm just not a morning person.

When I was a teenager, someone said "the early bird gets the worm." I countered that this thinking was narrow minded because you could always pay someone to go get the worm for you. People outsource a ton of things that they don't wish to do. House cleaning, lawn maintenance, etc. How is worm fetcher any different? Needless to say, they didn't continue in the discussion. :cool:

Hey buddy, if you have a command line line account you'd better know how to read a man page before asking for help. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go get some coffee then see if Richard Stallman has replied to my email yet. :D ;)

I figured there'd be a few of us geeks that would get that. At least there are three of us on the thread. :D

I have been to 6 MM and the first 4 were good. The last 2 the people instantly broke up into groups and we simply wandered around looking for some welcoming faces and just never happened. After that we never signed up again. Reminded me of high school where there were clicks and outsiders were not welcome.

I have been on very active roll calls, with plans to meet at sail away. There would be upwards of 50 people planning to meet, when in reality we were lucky if 5 showed up.

As far as the M & M on the ship, it is normally scheduled around 9 - 9:30 on any of the ships I have been on. Most people don't want to rush or they want to sleep in the first morning of a cruise. Any of the recent ones I've been to they raffle off a couple of cheap trinkets, and as soon as it's over everyone runs out. There is no mingling.

RCCL does them in areas where there is no mingling. Its at a theatre or a other seated venue. Everyone comes and sits down, waits for the raffle and leaves.

When they held them in bars with everyone milling around, you mingled.

The roll call have gone down bc you can see real identities and pictures of people on that other platform and those groups aren't quite as nasty to each other. Not because they're nicer, because they're not anonymous.

you can see real identities and pictures of people on that other platform and those groups aren't quite as nasty to each other. Not because they're nicer, because they're not anonymous.

I have to say, your comment is very relevant to sooo many threads on CC....

I tend to agree with you OP. Early on the roll calls and M&Ms used to be very busy and a lot of people showed up for the M&Ms.

Since fb came along, more and more people are setting up pages for particular cruises and we are losing roll call members to that.

Our last four or five roll calls have been slack even up to the sail date and those attending M&Ms are getting fewer and fewer. I've tried the fb roll calls but they are not as good as the CC roll calls in my opinion. I love the layout of CC message boards.

I agree with you completely. I've joined a couple of FB roll calls but I really prefer CC. As someone else mentioned, it's often difficult to even find the group for your cruise, depending on the wording of the title.

The roll call and the M&M really are 2 different things. However they are meant to work together. The point of the roll call is to introduce yourself and correspond with others who are sailing with you. You chat, get to know each other and maybe even plan some events together, with the hope of possibly "mingling" on board. Which is why the cruise lines started arranging official CC meet and mingles on board. Granted, this concept is for more social people who actually enjoy meeting new people.

I'm also in agreement that it really is pointless to go to the roll call and make a post that you're on that sailing and then you're never heard from again. Also I never quite understood why so many who never once participated in the roll call show up at the M&M. But maybe the possibility of a free prize has something to do with that. I do miss the days when people posted to the roll call often and set up group activities. For me personally, it really enhanced the cruise.

I think this thread highlights, to an extent, why people are losing interest.

There have been a few snippy comments throughout the posts, which can put new people off.

Secondly, whilst I'm more of a lurker, I am aware there are some CC legends here, but I wouldn't know their usernames (and by default, their posts) if they jumped up and slapped me in the face. Whilst it is amazing we have the kind of community here for there to be posters who have continually gone out their way to help across the years, the informality of knowing names rather than usernames may put people off because it may seem too cliquey. It doesn't put ME off personally, but I can see why it might to others.

In my current roll call, my fellow cruisers refer to me by my username even though I have wrote my name there a couple of times; I think it just makes it easier for lurkers and infrequent posters to follow the thread of the conversations and by default, make them feel more included.

I wish to point out that this thread is opinion and is in no way a personal attack to any members, I am just offering a thought to a query posted. I would also like to thank any and all members who go out their way to help others, be it a new poster or a regular!

Heyyyyyy!!! I read this and felt bad because on our Roll Call, I address you as Rodenboy..I like the name and honestly I never noticed you posted your real name. Now I have to go back through our conversations, find your "REAL" name ...lol... and start addressing you as such...Heck, I dont even know if i posted my real name...Anyway, I too notice that the participation has decreased over the years, but I still sign up and will still show up :D

What type of search would you put into Facebook to locate these pages? I would like to have a secondary resource if I had an opportunity. I've only been able to find RC page and the ship itself. No such luck finding anything remotely like a roll call page for particular cruises. Maybe I'm using a wrong search words?

You would need to put in your sailing date and/or ship's name. Someone would have to set up the page and then direct people to it. Usually someone will hint at it in the roll call on CC. It is against CC's rules to actually mention a roll call page on fb, but people still do.

We are George & Liz & would like to know if any of the people we met on our last cruis or cruises are going to be on the M&M on the Freedom Of The Seas May 8th & May 15th ( we are doing a B2B) Also looking for Jack & Mariann(you know who you are)

george35

We are George & Liz & would like to know if any of the people we met on our last cruis or cruises are going to be on the M&M on the Freedom Of The Seas May 8th & May 15th ( we are doing a B2B) Also looking for Jack & Mariann(you know who you are)

george35

George, you might also try posting in your old roll call. Some of those go on a long while.

Heyyyyyy!!! I read this and felt bad because on our Roll Call, I address you as Rodenboy..I like the name and honestly I never noticed you posted your real name. Now I have to go back through our conversations, find your "REAL" name ...lol... and start addressing you as such...Heck, I dont even know if i posted my real name...Anyway, I too notice that the participation has decreased over the years, but I still sign up and will still show up :D

Heyyyyy right back!! To be honest, I don't mind my username as its my surname and my gender so you can't go far wrong with it!! At least the username helps people track who is talking to who!!

You'll have plenty of time to call me my name on the ship!! [emoji23][emoji23]

OK I hold my hands up, I am one of those lurkers.

I visit CC on a almost daily basis and love reading most of the threads. I am fairly new to cruising and only been on 3 before with my next one being on IOS in June this year.

Up to now I have posted a few times on CC and been to all three M&Ms the best one being on Anthem last year, and the main reason for that was that a number of CC members went out of their way and organised a number of private excursions and cabin crawls ect, almost all of the cruisers who attended the M&M appeared to enjoy themselves and certainly did a lot of mingling. For me one of the best results of this was it was great to walk around the ship and often say Hi or have someone say Hi to us, we felt as if we were an inclusive group of passengers.

As far as CC is concerned I have asked a few questions and in the main received knowledgeable and friendly answers but have also observed some very catty and critical dialogue between certain members which sometimes have been difficult to watch. It is at this time I tend to "lurk" rather than partake. However I have been informed that the cruise I am on 18th June 2016 has now reached the magic figure of 25 so our M&M can now go ahead.

Anne

Adventure of the seas roll call for the trip leaving in 2 weeks on the 23rd is like a ghost town. Was waiting too see if the group was interesting and if I was going to the meet and greet. I'll find something else to do.

Adventure of the seas roll call for the trip leaving in 2 weeks on the 23rd is like a ghost town. Was waiting too see if the group was interesting and if I was going to the meet and greet. I'll find something else to do.

I always believe that the more people input into the roll call the more active it has the potential to become. I start participating relatively soon after I join a roll call. A roll call can't get interesting just because it is listed.

In my current roll call, my fellow cruisers refer to me by my username even though I have wrote my name there a couple of times; I think it just makes it easier for lurkers and infrequent posters to follow the thread of the conversations and by default, make them feel more included.

On another forum, my username is Sir. It adds a bit of formality and politeness to all my discussions. I've been on it for years, so anytime anyone types to me....they always begin with "Sir". :p (I didn't choose that name for that purpose, it just worked out that way).

I should change my name on here to Dear Sir. I suggest everyone else do something similar and soon we'll look like the nicest group on CC!!

I'm also in agreement that it really is pointless to go to the roll call and make a post that you're on that sailing and then you're never heard from again. Also I never quite understood why so many who never once participated in the roll call show up at the M&M. But maybe the possibility of a free prize has something to do with that. I do miss the days when people posted to the roll call often and set up group activities. For me personally, it really enhanced the cruise.

I miss this, too. We've had some great roll calls that turned into some really great M&Ms! I guess the newer generation prefers the "new" way. The fun part of a roll call is those people who continue to post daily or almost daily. That's how you make "friends" even before the cruise and the M&M!

We ended up at the same table for dinner with a couple who had been on the roll call often. I recognized him from his Avatar and asked him if he was so and so (I only knew his CC name) and he said yes, I told him who I was and we had the best time with them the rest of the cruise. Some of our past roll calls have had cabin crawls and some active roll call members were invited to one couple's suite for drinks and snacks, etc. I'm still in contact via CC with some of those people from that roll call. It ain't what is used to be...

The emblem for fb is on every cc page, just click on it

Because it takes people away from CC and they don't want that. We've already lost a lot of people to fb that would have been on CC's roll calls and message boards.