When Does Luggage Arrive

We're planning on going to the port early (being there for 10:45am or so) . I believe we have access to our rooms at 1pm. For those that board first thing, around when can we expect our luggage to arrive in our room? We'll carry bathing suits, suntan lotion, etc in our carry on but will want to get changed for dinner before the muster drill.

Edited by LuCruise

Luggage is delivered anytime between when it is dropped off and 8pm, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when you get it. I have dropped off early and waited till later, and dropped of late and got it very quickly

Most times, our luggage arrives before muster, but every once in a while we get it after muster.

Ok thanks. Hopefully before. Otherwise we'll be going to the MDR in our shorts and tshirts (muster drill to the Sail Away Party to dinner). ;)

Ok thanks. Hopefully before. Otherwise we'll be going to the MDR in our shorts and tshirts (muster drill to the Sail Away Party to dinner). ;)

I always bring a pair of long pants in my carry-on, just in case the bags don't arrive in time for dinner.

25 cruises. Sometimes my husband's luggage arrives hours before mine or visa versa. Hard to figure out why since they are on the same cart. Another safeguard is to cross pack a few casual and dinner outfits.

I always bring a pair of long pants in my carry-on, just in case the bags don't arrive in time for dinner.

Good ideal Only thing is we are 4 of us and we'll already be having lots in our carry on bags so not sure we'll have room (including the essential 2 bottles of wine ;) )

25 cruises. Sometimes my husband's luggage arrives hours before mine or visa versa. Hard to figure out why since they are on the same cart. Another safeguard is to cross pack a few casual and dinner outfits.

Strange as you would think they would arrive together. Much more efficient on their part too. Go figure.

At some terminals, the earlier you get there, the later the luggage arrival. As each bag comes in from the porters/scanners into the holding area, the first into the room goes to the back of the area until it fills up and they start grabbing them to send up the elevators for distribution.

So think...."first in, last out" as each bag is placed in that room. :eek:

We have also watched another scenario from our balcony facing the dock as they roll out the luggage carts. They place them out on the dock, lining them up row by row to roll onto the ship. First ones out, are last ones onto the ship since they grab the closest ones that were rolled up last.

As previous poster mentioned, there is no rhyme or reason. It's a crap shoot.

Edited by island lady

I was on the Anthem last month. When we checked our bags at curbside, the porter gave us receipts with bar codes on it. If you download the RCI app (Royal IQ), it allows you to track your luggage. I didn't bother tracking my luggage, but I guess it might be fun for some to have the capability to do so.

I was on the Anthem last month. When we checked our bags at curbside, the porter gave us receipts with bar codes on it. If you download the RCI app (Royal IQ), it allows you to track your luggage. I didn't bother tracking my luggage, but I guess it might be fun for some to have the capability to do so.

Not doubting you and not taking a jab at you but, track your luggage where? In the terminal? On the ship? I can't believe someone scans your luggage every so often and then uploads that information somewhere so you can follow your luggage through the terminal, onto the ship and then to your stateroom. Seems like a waste of time. I'd rather they take the time bringing my luggage to my room instead of spending that time scanning it over and over.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Not doubting you and not taking a jab at you but, track your luggage where? In the terminal? On the ship? I can't believe someone scans your luggage every so often and then uploads that information somewhere so you can follow your luggage through the terminal, onto the ship and then to your stateroom. Seems like a waste of time. I'd rather they take the time bringing my luggage to my room instead of spending that time scanning it over and over.

I believe they put an RFID tag on the bag and the tracking is automatic.

On our last RCI cruise - Vision out of Tampa last year - our luggage (4 people, 2 staterooms) arrived one piece at a time over the course of about 4 hours. On our HAL cruise - Zaandam out of Seward last year - our luggage (2 people, 1 stateroom) was in our room when we got there, and we walked straight to our room from checkin.

In over 20 cruises (multiple lines and ports), I think maybe there have been a couple or so that I wasn't able to unpack before or immediately after muster. Once or twice we happened to see our bags down the hall, waiting to be delivered, and just grabbed them ourselves on the way to our room.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, makes sense first in, last out...unless they have someone grabbing right away when you put it down. Ok...so probably will come before muster but not necessarily. I guess as long as it comes. That's always a fear of mine.

Our experience has been anywhere from our luggage being there when the room access opens up (around 1:30) to right after muster. On average, I'd say our bags are usually delivered by 2:30. It really is a toss of the dice. Vision was probably our worst experience. We boarded in group 1 but we got one piece of luggage right before muster and the other one right after. The one before muster we grabbed from the huge group of them near the stairwell. Instead of delivering them as they came up, they were piling them in there. I've never seen them do it that way. I've seen a few pieces sitting in the stairway area, but never that many with no one delivering them.

Edited by BND

I agree with most everyone .... We have always had our luggage in the cabin after muster ...... EXCEPT the ONE time my DH wanted something out of one of the cases. Then it showed up right before we were leaving for happy hour :D He made a quick detour and found what he wanted!

I hated that time because I like to be unpacked and settled before dinner !

I believe they put an RFID tag on the bag and the tracking is automatic.

Yes on the RFID, on Quantum class ships. I'd rather be sitting with a beverage and check the app to see if it's outside the cabin instead of constantly walking backing and forth to check physically.

Getting the unpacking out of the way as fast as I can puts me in cruise mode much quicker. All my 'work' is done.

Yes on the RFID, on Quantum class ships. I'd rather be sitting with a beverage and check the app to see if it's outside the cabin instead of constantly walking backing and forth to check physically.

Getting the unpacking out of the way as fast as I can puts me in cruise mode much quicker. All my 'work' is done.

Okay, I'm naïve. Is this RFID tag a disposable item? Do they leave it on your luggage so you can "see" that it's at your room and then you dispose of it? Or, do they remove it once the luggage has been delivered to your stateroom? I'm really curious how this system works. Gotta love technology!

We have found that generally, the earlier you get your bags checked the earlier they get to your room. In fact, sometimes they have been waiting at our door when we go to it around 1:00.:D

The porters open for checking at 9:30 or so and you can actually watch them on the port webcams as they load the ship. Makes sense...to get all the luggage on timely, they take the first checked to the staging areas on each deck as they are loaded to free up the loaders for more. So our experience has not been 'first in last out'. In fact we are usually unpacked and put away before mustard.

Only once did we have one case come after mustard, it was a smaller one and I think it just got hidden under some others for a while.

Edited by BecciBoo

We have found that generally, the earlier you get your bags checked the earlier they get to your room. In fact, sometimes they have been waiting at our door when we go to it around 1:00.:D

The porters open for checking at 9:30 or so and you can actually watch them on the port webcams as they load the ship. Makes sense...to get all the luggage on timely, they take the first checked to the staging areas on each deck as they are loaded to free up the loaders for more. So our experience has not been 'first in first out'. In fact we are usually unpacked and put away before mustard.

Only once did we have one case come after mustard, it was a smaller one and I think it just got hidden under some others for a while.

Thank you. Really hope this is the case. We're pretty much 'busy' our first night from muster on (muster, sail away party, dinner, Aqua show), and we have an early morning excursion the next day. So fingers crossed our bags arrive as you say so we can get settled, unpacked and organized for next day before we need to leave for muster.