P&O Improvements

cruisebore

Now you can forget the script above because the moral of this comment is that between late evening posting my questionnaire and early morning departure, somebody had read my comments and action was taken.

Clear message?

The share of the tip pool I understand, is dependent on the number of excellent scores on the questionnaire, a reason in itself for an immediate check of the 'scores'

The share of the tip pool I understand, is dependent on the number of excellent scores on the questionnaire, a reason in itself for an immediate check of the 'scores'

No. The share of the bonus 'pot' is given as per scores on the doors.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have to point out, that P&O are an American company, bought only, because there was a contest between Royal Caribbean and Carnival for the takeover of Princess Cruises. P&O came as additional baggage.

The flag may be British (and proud), but the working conditions for all the crew are just as bad as the other cruise lines flying a Bahamas or Panama flag of convenience.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, isn't Britannia registered in Southampton. So subject to UK law?

What major improvements have you noticed in the last 5 years on P&O cruises?

If you check out any cruise line thread I think you will find that most passengers are complaining that things are not as good .... sadly.

PS Thinking about it - we LOVED Britannia so an improvement there and more Freedom Dining on more ships :)

What major improvements have you noticed in the last 5 years on P&O cruises?

Handling of special dietary requirements/allergies. On our return to cruising after a long gap, this time with children who have a serious allergy (anaphylaxis), the issue was handled beautifully and with great grace and tact by RCI.

Next cruise on Aurora the attitude was awful, the waiters downright rude and the children were made to feel as though they were an inconvenience. It got so bad that they didn't want to eat in the MDR as the waiters kicked up such a fuss it embarrassed them.

Following year on Azura much, much better (although I insisted on speaking to the restaurant manager to make my point), the maître d' was charming and very kind to the kids.

Two years later - Britannia - no problem.

For me the things that have improved are 1) Britannia, I loved this ship and all she has to offer. The service was the best I have ever experienced on P&O (especially the head chef in the buffet). 2) I do think P&O are trying to be fairer in their pricing by giving upgrades 3) I think their website has improved and is better than many of the others. This comes with certain caveats, I am aware that I am increasingly using speciality restaurants as a preference over MDR because the food quality has declined. The service from a customer perspective between the ship and shore-side is not joined up. There are also certain ships in the fleet I would no longer travel on. The loyalty scheme is in desperate need of an overhaul. P&O is no longer my cruise provider of choice and for the first time in 15 years I am trying other lines, something I wouldn't have considered a few years ago. Can P&O turn this around - yes but they need to be quick!

I think the restructuring of the fare structure is a big improvement for one thing. It is a lot fairer than it used to be in 2013 when I first cruised and when people paying next to nothing on late deals were then upgraded through a few categories over and above people who had paid the full price early on.

I also think that since Christopher Edgington is in charge, P&O has been much more approachable and Customer Service much more consumer friendly and consistent and things get sorted.

And in my opinion the new embarkation system works well if you follow the rules that is. I remember well being all crammed in to the buffet waiting ages for our cabin, not being able to find a seat, bedlam in the queue and people pushing and shoving saving seats and falling over lots of luggage etc. Much better this way when arriving about 10 mins before our allocated time we were ushered down the fast track lane and were checked in and on board in no time at all.

Plus I think the itineraries are much more exciting nowadays :)

Scriv, have you been on the wacky backy, or have you got a new rose tinted specs prescription? You're beginning to sound more like Daib than he does.

I have been with P&O many times. Older ships do not bother me at all, in fact, so far I prefer them. Service has always been excellent. However, my one gripe is that the food has definitely deteriorated and I find the menus very boring, roast this and roast that, no nice chicken dishes with a sauce, just as an example. Have often resorted to the theme evenings in the buffet to have something different. We don't do specialty restaurants.

BUT, I think prices have come down, especially if you book early. We tend to sail in late September/October and have great itineraries and longer cruises. So my only complaint is the food.

We also sail with Fred sometimes and the food is definitely better.

Scriv, have you been on the wacky backy, or have you got a new rose tinted specs prescription? You're beginning to sound more like Daib than he does.

Hee hee, no John.... but these are the improvements that I have genuinely seen.

I remember being so upset on my first cruise ever at the height of the pricing chaos when we had saved hard and paid full whack for an Inside, opted for an upgrade and hoped.... and evn in the queue checking in, people were boasting loudly about the fantastic deals they had and I mean really fantastic at such cheap prices. One had that morning been upgraded for the third time and had paid next to nothing. We even asked at Reception if we could pay for an upgrade and they said No!!!!

And on that first day, we went up to the buffet and couldn't find a seat as people were saving them all. There were bags everywhere and people pushing and shoving in the queue. It was awful!!

We had that all the week and I mean all week and I know the advice to avoid these people is sensible, but when the majority of the ship were talking loudly, it was impossible to avoid.

So for me, the pricing and the embarkation has been an improvement, lol. Plus the introduction of Freedom Dining for those cruises where it suits me best.... and I don't like the American biased cruises, much preferring P&O's way of doing things, warts and all.

I do see other areas of disappointment and concerns though, so don't worry ;) ..........

For one thing, I am worried about the food and also about all these itineraries that change. It seems to happen such a lot nowadays, not just for security or weather reasons and I don't quite understand why it seems to be the P&O ship that always seems to compromise.

I also worry about the outside of Oceana who I am watching as desperately in need of TLC especially on the outside.

Edited by Scriv

Hee hee, no John.... but these are the improvements that I have genuinely seen.

I remember being so upset on my first cruise ever at the height of the pricing chaos when we had saved hard and paid full whack for an Inside, opted for an upgrade and hoped.... and evn in the queue checking in, people were boasting loudly about the fantastic deals they had and I mean really fantastic at such cheap prices. One had that morning been upgraded for the third time and had paid next to nothing. We even asked at Reception if we could pay for an upgrade and they said No!!!!

And on that first day, we went up to the buffet and couldn't find a seat as people were saving them all. There were bags everywhere and people pushing and shoving in the queue. It was awful!!

We had that all the week and I mean all week and I know the advice to avoid these people is sensible, but when the majority of the ship were talking loudly, it was impossible to avoid.

So for me, the pricing and the embarkation has been an improvement, lol. Plus the introduction of Freedom Dining for those cruises where it suits me best.... and I don't like the American biased cruises, much preferring P&O's way of doing things, warts and all.

I do see other areas of disappointment and concerns though, so don't worry ;) ..........

For one thing, I am worried about the food and also about all these itineraries that change. It seems to happen such a lot nowadays, not just for security or weather reasons and I don't quite understand why it seems to be the P&O ship that always seems to compromise.

I also worry about the outside of Oceana who I am watching as desperately in need of TLC especially on the outside.

Good points but as a couple who cruised P&O almost exclusively for a few years their standard has dropped and now it seems especially with the quality of food. We started to notice a few years ago that if there was a berth out of town or someone had to tender that it was P&O and it must be down to what they are prepared to pay for berths. They frequently miss Geiranger now as others pay more.Some of their ships are starting to look in need of a spruce up - and they seem to be lacking a wow factor, have seen that said a lot about Britannia which is their newest. I wonder if Carnival are just using them as a cash cow and spending as little as they need to keep the ships going. We still hope to continue cruising with P&O but they are no longer our go-to company of choice and now we would only use them on a Saver basis as that fare seems about right for the current standard.

Edited by bee-ess

Good points but as a couple who cruised P&O almost exclusively for a few years their standard has dropped and now it seems especially with the quality of food. We started to notice a few years ago that if there was a berth out of town or someone had to tender that it was P&O and it must be down to what they are prepared to pay for berths. They frequently miss Geiranger now as others pay more.Some of their ships are starting to look in need of a spruce up - and they seem to be lacking a wow factor, have seen that said a lot about Britannia which is their newest. I wonder if Carnival are just using them as a cash cow and spending as little as they need to keep the ships going. We still hope to continue cruising with P&O but they are no longer our go-to company of choice and now we would only use them on a Saver basis as that fare seems about right for the current standard.

I have thought long about this and I think the reason P&O get shifted is because they do not run repeat cruises. A number of cruise lines repeat the same cruise week after week so if a line is always in Flam on a Tuesday they are going to get the berth. Not a ship only going once or twice a year. This happened to us in the Caribbean on Ventura this year we were on a one off cruise and in two ports we ended up in the less favourable berth as the ships on a regular weekly cruise had the best ones.

I suspect this is behind a number of the changes.

I have thought long about this and I think the reason P&O get shifted is because they do not run repeat cruises. A number of cruise lines repeat the same cruise week after week so if a line is always in Flam on a Tuesday they are going to get the berth. Not a ship only going once or twice a year. This happened to us in the Caribbean on Ventura this year we were on a one off cruise and in two ports we ended up in the less favourable berth as the ships on a regular weekly cruise had the best ones.

I suspect this is behind a number of the changes.

Dai

Methinks P&O have missed a trick not employing you to their public relations department.

I have defected to Princess these days and also Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Sadly I find P&O is not the line it was and not the line I fell in love with to cruise with. It was good but all the changes I felt sent it down a few notches and I have moved on to other lines. I was in the top loyalty clubs that kept changing names and fortunately that loyalty has been recognised by Princess. The last cruise I had with P&O was the Grand Event in 2012. If P&O goes retro and goes back to the style and look they had way back then I might go back to them. I am not old fashioned and do like modern lines but found P&O was not going in the direction I liked.

Dai

Methinks P&O have missed a trick not employing you to their public relations department.

Can you put in a good word then.

I wonder that as well. Maybe the new EU (naughty word ;)) proposal to have large businesses publish their profits etc will reveal all :D

Big maybe beautiful for the American market but the British were originally more refined , not so much now.We liked the personal service you used to get on Adonis and such smaller ships. We now sail with Celebrity as there slightly smaller ships do give a higher professional stanstad of service.I hate to say this but the Americans are leaving us behind on service.I do not like the American style but P O just seam to be sliding down the standard scale all the time.

Big maybe beautiful for the American market but the British were originally more refined , not so much now.We liked the personal service you used to get on Adonis and such smaller ships. We now sail with Celebrity as there slightly smaller ships do give a higher professional stanstad of service.I hate to say this but the Americans are leaving us behind on service.I do not like the American style but P O just seam to be sliding down the standard scale all the time.

Americans always expected good service, if they are not happy about something they complain. If the problem is not fixed or they feel they haven't been compensated they take their money else where. Unfortunately Brits just moan and grumble and then re book.

Americans always expected good service, if they are not happy about something they complain. If the problem is not fixed or they feel they haven't been compensated they take their money else where. Unfortunately Brits just moan and grumble and then re book.

I do, complain at the time, that is why I get any problems sorted before I leave the ship..

Edited by daiB

I do, complain at the time, that is why I get any problems sorted before I leave the ship..

I am the same Dai, and where the problem can be resolved it generally is.

But on the Ventura cruise I had booked a bathroom chair, for Pauline to use at the wash basin. We had booked at launch, sent off the medical needs form immediately, were on board well before our neighbours who incidently only booked 3 months before the cruise, and we saw our steward early to reinforce the request.

But our chair did not arrive until day 2 and was a poor affair, too low and without any adjustable legs, however next door had a brand new one which would have met all our needs but there were no others available.

It would be very nice if P&O ensured that early bookers requirements were fully met before those booking later. Similarly any upgrades should also go to early bookers first, that would be first rate customer service, rather than the present third rate.