Buying Apple products onboard?

gibbetygibb

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering buying a new iPad. I live in the UK where we pay a hefty premium compared to the prices in dollars in America.

I wondered if the products onboard would be the same as in American Stores, and what sort of prices these would be? Also do you think they would sell the iPad Pro yet?

If the dollar to pound conversion rate works in our favour it might be worth me buying one on the ship.

Many thanks,

Adam Gibbs

question is be a smart shopper, go to Apple and buy it, enjoy

Celebrity is an authorized Apple retailer! Even for us, where we live in Canada, I have to drive an hour, take a one and a half hour ferry ride and then drive another hour to go to an "Apple Store" So we shop at an authorized retailer. For a lot of UK, EU and Australian cruisers the prices on board are a much better deal. Also the cosmetics in the Duty Free shops. I have a couple of friends that bought mini ipads on board and were very happy with the the service as they set it up for them, loaded a few apps and gave them 30 min free internet. The only thing that the OP should be aware of is that the products have the US plugs so you would need an adapter. If you have lots of OBC it is a good deal but go early in the cruise as they usually sell out.

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering buying a new iPad. I live in the UK where we pay a hefty premium compared to the prices in dollars in America.

I wondered if the products onboard would be the same as in American Stores, and what sort of prices these would be? Also do you think they would sell the iPad Pro yet?

If the dollar to pound conversion rate works in our favour it might be worth me buying one on the ship.

Many thanks,

Adam Gibbs

It is an Apple authorized store. Prices and product on board are exactly like what you would find in any other U.S. Apple store, though the range of products is narrower (no phones, no Apple Watch or bands last time I looked) and the selection (e.g., within iPad models) will also be narrower.

I suggest you go to the Roll Call for the sailings of your ship scheduled for 2-3 weeks prior to your own embarkation. Ask there if someone would be willing to check current stock (iPad Pro?) in the store and let you know...

I bought my iPad Air 2 64 GB on the Eclipse last summer, same spec as the UK, and was able to get it cheaper than I could have bought it in the UK with a 15% discount for working in higher education. However, the exchange rate today is poorer than it was in June 2015 – about 8% difference if my arithmetic is correct. The iPad comes with an international warranty and US plug so you will need to purchase a power adaptor for the UK. If the overall difference is just a few pounds taking into account the poorer exchange rate, I would buy from an Apple store or other reseller in the UK.

I bought my iPad Air 2 64 GB on the Eclipse last summer, same spec as the UK, and was able to get it cheaper than I could have bought it in the UK with a 15% discount for working in higher education. However, the exchange rate today is poorer than it was in June 2015 – about 8% difference if my arithmetic is correct. The iPad comes with an international warranty and US plug so you will need to purchase a power adaptor for the UK. If the overall difference is just a few pounds taking into account the poorer exchange rate, I would buy from an Apple store or other reseller in the UK.

I bought a 128GB iPad mini last July when there was a great exchange rate.

$550 converted to £380. You are allowed to bring £390 personal goods into the UK before tax. If you exceed this, you will be charged the full VAT, not just the difference. It meant that I couldn't buy anything else, but my husband could, as it is a personal allowance.

I bought the highest memory possible, as I have a 16 GB iPad 4, but storage was a real problem, as I take lots of photos.

Edited by upwarduk

On Reflection last week, they did not have the iPad Pro yet (in either size), and were still selling the iPad Air 2 at its previous price (e.g., $100 higher than current retail in the U.S.). However, they were likely about to get new stock, as they had sold out of the discontinued iPad Air 2 128GB.

The staff said they had iPad Minis in stock, but none were on display.

The display signage included prices in US Dollars, Euros and one other currency -- sorry, I don't recall now -- though it wasn't clear if those were set prices or estimates (since other onboard prices were in US Dollars for our cruse).

Just be aware that you might not be able to set it up board. Most of the time the ship's wifi is not good enough to pull down all the information and data you need from the cloud. I saw it happen with some one who bought a phone, disabled his old one and could only get the new one halfway working. He was not a happy camper.

Just be aware that you might not be able to set it up board. Most of the time the ship's wifi is not good enough to pull down all the information and data you need from the cloud. I saw it happen with some one who bought a phone, disabled his old one and could only get the new one halfway working. He was not a happy camper.

Are you sure he bought the phone on the ship- I was told they didn't sell them.

This is quite true. My cousin just bought an iPad on Silhouette with the $300 cabin credit that came with her promotion along with another $100 in mystery credit from somewhere. The iPad was the same price as our Apple Store at home. She couldn't set it up until she got home though. Silhouette didn't have any iPhones, just iPads and MacBooks

The wonderful IT guys will set it up for you, no problem. The phone purchase must be from some other cruise line as Celebrity has never sold iPhones as far as I am aware.

I am on the Silhouette. In the "Celebrity Today" flyer that you get in your room everynight has an add in it for tomorrow:

"Did someon say iPad on a discount"

"Get yours today with a $100 discount"

You can use your onboard credit

don't know the price but wanted you to know that they are offering discount

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks,

Adam Gibbs

The Celebrity iLounge is an internet cafe and the first Authorized Apple® Reseller at Sea.

Products Available for Sale in Celebrity iLounge:

• MacBook
  • MacBook Air
  • MacBook Pro
  • iPad Mini
  • iPad Air
  • Apple Accessories
  • Belkin iPad Cases
  • Belkin Cables
  • Beats by Dr. Dre Speakers
  • Beats by Dr. Dre Headphones
  • JBL Speakers
  • JBL Headphones

The Celebrity iLounge is an internet cafe and the first Authorized Apple® Reseller at Sea.

Products Available for Sale in Celebrity iLounge:

• MacBook
  • MacBook Air
  • MacBook Pro
  • iPad Mini
  • iPad Air
  • Apple Accessories
  • Belkin iPad Cases
  • Belkin Cables
  • Beats by Dr. Dre Speakers
  • Beats by Dr. Dre Headphones
  • JBL Speakers
  • JBL Headphones

Will you be adding the iPad Pro? I was hoping to buy the new 9.7" on Connie on May 31.

ROFLMAO Jazzbeau, haven't you learned by now that the current Celebrity Cruises can't answer any questions where they can't cut and past exactly what's on X's web site?

You seem to be correct Steve :)

• 6 years later...

Reviving an old thread to try and get some more current info. 

I know that the Apple products on Celebrity ships are usually older models etc. but I was wondering if they also sell items like AirPods and AirPods Pro?

Also, would love to hear from those who have sailed recently to hear first hand if the stock has improved and if there are more recent models onboard. 

We have a ton of OBC to use on our cruise in November so hoping to buy a few things. 

There is no new Apple stock in any of the shops.  You may find what you were looking for but it will be older models only until they begin to restock the shops sometime in the future. For your specific question, it would help to know which ship you are sailing on.

Edited by cruisestitch

I've been on a number of cruises and never seen an AirPod or AirPod Pro. 

I will be on Summit a week from today and will let you know what I find.   When on Silhouette in April they were totally sold out of all apple products.    The did have new models of GoPro and JBL Over the Ear  and Speakers.

• Like 1