kUMMELWERTH SANDWICH

When I was growing up in the Albany NY area there was a small chain shop called Neba's - made the best, tenderest Roast Sandwich I ever had. The Park Cafe Roast Beef on bun is the closest I've found to it. Sometimes it was a little fatty, but it was a nice alternative (along with other items at Park ) to The Windjammer.

Being from Buffalo, NY I have to chime in here.

Beef on weck is a huge staple, kind of like chicken wings.

Kummelweck - Its a roll with caraway seeds and salt on top. The rolls they make on the ship are softer version - the roll itself should be slightly crunchy so when you dip it, it softens up. It should be served like a French Dip

sandwich with a cup of au jus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck

I left the Buffalo area in 1980. (Grand Island). Buffalo, regardless of the snow, has some great comfort food. Wings at the Anchor Bar (where they started) and Beef on Weck have my taste buds watering.

When I was growing up in the Albany NY area there was a small chain shop called Neba's - made the best, tenderest Roast Sandwich I ever had. The Park Cafe Roast Beef on bun is the closest I've found to it. Sometimes it was a little fatty, but it was a nice alternative (along with other items at Park ) to The Windjammer.

Wow, Neba's. That's a blast from the past. Takes me back to Lake George 45 years ago.

I suppose it has a lot to do with individual taste. When my daughter went to Texas A&M she used to love crawfish boils. You know the whole sucking the brains out? Not for me. I gag at the look of eating bugs (or what look like bugs.)

We first tried this on the Allure pre inaugural, and it was one of the best taste of a slow cooked roasted beef, with aujus, and I loved it.

Since then.........it really has been hit or miss. It saddend me, but Royal Caribbean is a mass market cruise line, and not everything will be the same on all ships.

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

But I will never again try the honey stung chicken lol. Do they even offer it anymore??

Think the honey stung chicken is available from room service if I'm remembering correctly. But there are better things to get

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Think the honey stung chicken is available from room service if I'm remembering correctly. But there are better things to get

They have something they call Honey Stung chicken on the room service menu, but it is not like it was then they used to make it on the ship. I think it's just another frozen Tyson like thing now.

I suppose it has a lot to do with individual taste. When my daughter went to Texas A&M she used to love crawfish boils. You know the whole sucking the brains out? Not for me. I gag at the look of eating bugs (or what look like bugs.)

Mudbugs.... MMMMMM..... Love 'em!

Allow me to be the dumb one. What the heck is a Kummelwerth sandwich?

Kimmelweck- i had it almost every day on the Grandeur, at the Solarium deli i think was called either Compass Deli or something like that. I got that and the fabulous salad they make custom according to what you would like included in it. It is very good, the sandwich, but i agree that i do not know what such a big deal is made about this. It is a couple of pieces of roast beef with a little fat on it on a roll. LOL

The sandwich has been a staple of the Park Cafe venue, which is not on Voyager or Freedom class ships. However, some have reported seeing the sandwich on some of these ships for limited times in Park Cafe and the Royal Promenade.

I had one last year on Brilliance. The meat was very fatty, so it was a bit of a let down. I'd be willing to try again though. :)

Served in Park Cafe aboard Oasis...

Served in The Cafe@TWO70 aboard Quantum...

Not a Buffalo native, but to me, too fatty, too thick, and not enough beef.

Yeah, bagels don't travel well from NYC either, nor does lobster. I'll take crawfish from Louisiana, but not from too far away either.

Schwabl's in West Seneca or The Beef n Barrel in Olean were my weck meccas.

Thank you!!! I've made note of these. Someone recently recommended Charlie The Butcher, and I have that one on my list of places to go. Last time we were in Rochester, we visited a local sports bar, and my daughter freaked when she Beef on Weck on the menu. It was AWFUL. It looked dried out like it had been under the heat lamp for a week. :(

206 days until I'm on Oasis :D

Schwabl's in West Seneca or The Beef n Barrel in Olean were my weck meccas.

I've been to Schawbl's - my mom used to own a corner bar in the Cheektowaga ares, so I am partial to hers :) We did our wedding rehearsal dinner at her bar and served beef on weck and chicken wings with Genesee beer to drink.. Very unusual, but everyone loved it (except maybe my MIL ;) )

Edited by hansolosmom

This thing that people rave about but left me wondering what the heck all the fuss is about. It is a roast beef sandwich - not a big deal IMHO.

4th post, I should have taken the under! Love them.