Best ports for Diamonds

bjtll

As a jeweler, please don't buy jewelry while on a cruise. We hate telling you the bad news and even worse some (like me) won't take it in for sizing or repair because when you get it home don't assume that just because it's stamped 14k, 10k, SS that it actually is. Or when that beautiful emerald turns out to be a green tourmaline.

I agree with everyone about NOT buying jewelry while on a cruise. Even from the ship board stores. Too many horror stories. If your going to be in So.Florida, go to one of the many diamond exchanges here. Shop around, learn what your doing, get guarantees.

What are the best ports in the Caribbean for jewelry? Selection and price?

Aren't you glad you asked.......? I knew you'd get lectures about not buying anywhere but the good old USA:rolleyes:

I wouldn't spend 10,000 on a diamond in the islands, but if you want to get a little something nice and find what you like at a fair price, St Martin and St Thomas are your best bet.

My wife has purchase several things at her favorite jewelry store in St Martin. A close friend in our hometown owns a high end jewelry store. EVERYTHING she has bought in St Martin has turned out to be genuine, as presented, and was purchased at good price.

Oh yeah, 3 weeks ago I bought a watch in St Martin 4-500.00 cheaper than available at any US retailer. And also cheaper than available online where you get no manufacturer warranty or support. The St Martin store is an authorized dealer - real warranty recognized by the manufacturer just like in the US.......go figure! A retailer who has been around for years and stands behind their sales. On top of the sale price I also paid no sales tax :)

Edited by bouhunter

We like, or I should say my wife loves St Thomas we get Christmas cards from one jewelry store ( Imperial ) every year, got engagement ring there a little over 25 years ago, have bought many other things over the years. They also like many other Caribbean jewelry stores give husbands free beer while wife shops.

We like, or I should say my wife loves St Thomas we get Christmas cards from one jewelry store ( Imperial ) every year, got engagement ring there a little over 25 years ago, have bought many other things over the years. They also like many other Caribbean jewelry stores give husbands free beer while wife shops.

Secondary benefit:D Wives can get beer too...... :)

Edited by bouhunter

I agree!! We've been going to Imperial Jewelers in St Thomas for over 30 years....Their prices and quality are Great!

I agree with all of the above posts! Please do not buy diamonds in the Caribbean. The prices are much higher, and the quality much less than you will find at your local wholesaler. I was a buyer for a wholesaler in the states for quite some time and sadly there are MANY horror stories.

With that in mind, if you are looking for Brands like watches or high end fashion, just do your research before you leave home. These brands are price protected, so the price SHOULD be the same as at home, but you will not have the pay the taxes.

I think if you know what you want to buy, and go to a reputable jeweler, you can save some money. I wouldn't just assume that prices are cheaper in the islands.

On our last cruise I wanted to buy a brand name diamond ring. I was able to shop around at home prior to the cruise as there are local jewelers who sell that brand. There's also the online option, straight from the manufacturer. I had a pretty good idea what I would pay.

I was able to purchase in St. Kitts, I saved a few hundred right there, plus I did not have to pay any tax. Even after the duty, I'm still up a grand or so AND I got free drinks and a happy wife. An easy win all around.

We bought my diamond engagement ring in St. Maarten, and it was appraised at home for twice the value that we paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are very lucky...How would you have felt if it hadn't :eek:

I have bought lots of diamonds over the years at Joes in St Maarten, they are very fair and honest and Jack is the sales person I see every year. I did buy from another source in the 90's and the mount and diamond were both damaged, luckily Takori (sp?) took care of us. That being said, I've since learned about diamonds and settings. If you go in with a decent understanding of grades and the ability to use a loop there are good deals to be found, I stick to Joes because I've had good luck and never been lied to or up sold. My wife has a 1 caret center stone that was appraised for 3 times the value that we paid for it. You also need to remember that not everything is cheaper, I've seen jewelry there that was more expensive than the states in the same case as a great priced piece.

We always buy our tanzanite and other jewelry in St Kitts at the Gold Mine. We have all our jewelry purchased there appraised here in Colorado when we get home. We have been very happy with our purchases because all of our jewelry is worth double what we paid for in St Kitts. Don't listen to the jeweler's in the states who try to tell you other wise. There are great deals in the Caribbean.

We always buy our tanzanite and other jewelry in St Kitts at the Gold Mine. We have all our jewelry purchased there appraised here in Colorado when we get home. We have been very happy with our purchases because all of our jewelry is worth double what we paid for in St Kitts. Don't listen to the jeweler's in the states who try to tell you other wise. There are great deals in the Caribbean.

I agree Colorado Babe.... The deals are never at the Diamond International or the shops promoted by the ships Director of Shopping, they are at the established stores who refuse to be extorted by the cruise lines. You just need to either know jewelry and what you're buying or go to a reputable store recommended by others who have had good buys over many years.

We bought my diamond engagement ring in St. Maarten, and it was appraised at home for twice the value that we paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Appraisal values are almost always a lot higher than actual retail values, whether you buy here or there. (Unless, of course, you get ripped off.)

I am not going to join those saying never buy jewelry on a cruise, but it's usually not the bargain that the sellers want you to think it is. So don't buy just because you think you're getting a steal.