Beverage Packages

nyfeds

We are trying to decide on beverage/wine packages. Is it better to purchase a package on-line prior to our cruise or on the ship? Does Oceania run any promos on these packages? What is the quality of house wines?

We have a fairly sizeable OBC and plan to use it for a beverage package.

Thanks!

Edited by nyfeds

The standard Beverage Package is only good at lunch and dinner. So, if you have a port intensive cruise, you will quiet likely not be doing lunches on board. You must then decide if you drink enough at dinner to justify that package. The premium package allows free beverages any time, happy hour, lounges, meals, after dinner, etc. It's `$60 per day. You need to do the math and see how that fits your drinking habits.

The by the glass wines are normally decent, but not exceptional. Oceania charges between a 3X and 4X retail prices for their restaurant wines.

Each person has to do the math based on their own drinking habits, while realizing they can bring both aboard to enjoy in their cabins, if that is their lifestyle. We, for example, would rarely have a drink in our cabin alone, but enjoy the company and view from Horizons. This is especially true during sail aways and before dinner. Others would rather just have a drink alone in their cabins. Answer all those questions, and then you can start to get your arms around you questions.

The standard Beverage Package is only good at lunch and dinner. So, if you have a port intensive cruise, you will quiet likely not be doing lunches on board. You must then decide if you drink enough at dinner to justify that package. The premium package allows free beverages any time, happy hour, lounges, meals, after dinner, etc. It's `$60 per day. You need to do the math and see how that fits your drinking habits.

The by the glass wines are normally decent, but not exceptional. Oceania charges between a 3X and 4X retail prices for their restaurant wines.

Each person has to do the math based on their own drinking habits, while realizing they can bring both aboard to enjoy in their cabins, if that is their lifestyle. We, for example, would rarely have a drink in our cabin alone, but enjoy the company and view from Horizons. This is especially true during sail aways and before dinner. Others would rather just have a drink alone in their cabins. Answer all those questions, and then you can start to get your arms around you questions.

Thanks for breaking this down so well.

Thanks for breaking this down so well.

Premium package at $60/day includes the 18% tip. So, figure 4-5 drinks a day (2-3 per day if you get call doubles in your cocktails). Premium package works for me on cruises of 10-18 days. Longer than that, the worth of the package is dependent on your daily capacity for adult beverages.

The wine-by-the-glass menu has a handful of decent $15+/- per bottle (retail store) choices. But, the better selections (e.g., Shramsberg Mirabelle sparkling wine and the Arboleda Carmenere) occasionally run out only days into a cruise.

Buy package onboard if you've got significant OBC.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Is there a limit on the amount of drinks you can order in a day and do you have to buy the drinks package on day one of the cruise? Thanks.

No limit on the Prestige Select package, with the only limit on the House Select package being that there is only so much you can consume at lunch/dinner in the restaurants.

You don't have to take it on day one, but once you have opted in you are locked in until the end of the cruise.

One small bit of information regarding purchasing your drink package prior to your cruise or on board. There are a few areas of the world including Brazil and southern Europe where local taxes are added to purchases including the drink package while in the local waters as well as a few cases during several days up to your entire cruise which are not applicable if purchasing before boarding.

I taxing is a complicated process and if you are concerned to search for previous threads or via google for your specific area as that can add a significant cost to your drink package if you do purchase on board.

Thanks to those who so helpfully responded.

May I assume the packages are priced per person?

The Beverage Packages which we have been speaking of here are priced per person; they are exclusive of the Bottle Packages which are priced per Package.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/wine-packages/

Is there a limit on the amount of drinks you can order in a day and do you have to buy the drinks package on day one of the cruise? Thanks.

No, there is no limit nor is there a limit as to whether its a single or double or even a tripple ( yes I have seen some guy order this)

You are only limited from ordering the top-top brandys vsop +and some single malts, but the rest....very high quality choices are available all included with tip too ! Some lines dont allow doubles, all drinks under $6 etc. This is NOT the case on Oceania .

Now you dont have to buy on the first day. You can wait for a day or several days to see if you want the package.

The only exception is that if you get the O choice beverage selection which needs a $20 up grade to the premimum package ( as I described) you must book prior to final payment I am told. The up grade you can do on the ship. Also for a couple, both passengers do not have to get the same thing/package. Some lines require both to get the same

If buying the package...you can wait a few days but once you start then It must continue for the remainder of the cruise. There are NO discounts unless you are Silver O club or above then you get a 10% off the packages.

I was very reluctant to get the package. .Thinking how can I drink that much... Well the liquor on the ship is high and the pours not overly large.. I found as a lite drinker I would have been spending almost $100 a day if not on the package.... 2 grey goose a day 2 glasses of wine/cham and an after dinner port.... punched the total up there. We take cruises that are at least 33% sea days with the majority 50% sea days.

You have, as others said, need to decide. on a 21 or longer day I'd play it by ear. However if you book a back to back cruise...2 different bookings then you could possibly get the package for just one of the segments.. I think.

The wine is all by the glass, from a short list, and while not premier cru stuff it is all nice pleasant mid range quality... no phlonk. Parker 80 range stuff and a few 90's..... No Petrus.

Hope this helps

Thanks to everyone who responded. Interesting that both people in a stateroom don't have to buy the package on O and that tips are included. Not the case on other cruise lines. We are on a cruise out of Barcelona with lots of Spanish and Italian ports so we would have to factor in their VAT tax, but I might buy the package anyway, despite my OBC, which I was intending to use for drinks. I like a Lemon Drop Martini (or two!) while playing Trivia and a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner. Then a G&T ( or two!) after dinner or a glass of Champagne, so yes, I think it may be worth it for me. I will take a look at the included drinks on the O website.

Shame about the Petrus though Dan....I suppose I could make do with a glass of The Grange or a Napa St Supery! Obviously just wishful thinking. :D

I used to know a man called Dan who was quite the expert on Napa reds.

Edited by Lottie A

Thanks to everyone who responded. Interesting that both people in a stateroom don't have to buy the package on O and that tips are included. Not the case on other cruise lines. We are on a cruise out of Barcelona with lots of Spanish and Italian ports so we would have to factor in their VAT tax, but I might buy the package anyway, despite my OBC, which I was intending to use for drinks. I like a Lemon Drop Martini (or two!) while playing Trivia and a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner. Then a G&T ( or two!) after dinner or a glass of Champagne, so yes, I think it may be worth it for me. I will take a look at the included drinks on the O website.

Shame about the Petrus though Dan....I suppose I could make do with a glass of The Grange or a Napa St Supery! Obviously just wishful thinking. :D

I used to know a man called Dan who was quite the expert on Napa reds.

Not me...but I lived in Napa Valley, friends in the business one owns a winery.... and I enjoy a large cellar..

Interesting on Petrus.... they came over to Napa to increase production...called them selves "Chateau Dominus" same cellermaster and they ship a lot of the crush back to France ....where it goes???? Hmmmm?

Could it be it goes into Petrus..... the french would never.....or would they?

Grab a.... Dominus or a... Caymus Special Select ...or Shafer ...or ....Duckhorn 3 Palms .....or a Newton unfiltered Merlot. If you want to try some Bordeaux style from CA 2011/12 is pouring well, They have Caymus on the ship...try their Conundrum blend by the bottle

But so is a 1982 Chateau Evangeline ...and 2009 as well from your side of the pond.

Hi fellow cruisers,

If we decide have a drinks package would this include a bottle of wine if we decide one evening to dine in our suite?

No bottle, but would include room service by the glass I do believe.

Hi fellow cruisers,

If we decide have a drinks package would this include a bottle of wine if we decide one evening to dine in our suite?

No bottles with either drink package and think glasses only with the expensive package in your suite. Not sure about glasses in your suite with the lunch/dinner only package.

No bottles with either drink package and think glasses only with the expensive package in your suite. Not sure about glasses in your suite with the lunch/dinner only package.

As long as the it is consumed during a luncheon or dinner, Room Service delivery of Wine is covered by both Beverage Packages......but only by the glass.

Edited by StanandJim

Actually, my last post may be slightly misleading in that:

A) With the Prestige Beverage Package wine by the glass is included whenever and wherever one wants it on the ship. It is only the House Select Package which requires that a meal be served during alcohol service.

B) If one is indeed booked in a true "Suite", it will come with the services of a Butler, who will likely pour the glasses of wine then and there, making the "bottle versus glass question" moot.

C) In standard cabins, wine delivered by room service would arrive pre poured.

Ok your on a cruise that is 30 days long, You have the O choice of OBC, Liquor or Shore ex's You ponder, how could I drink hard or a lot in 30 days, like Flatbush , said works for 14 days but not over very well

You look at the cruise of 30 days and see it is offered in 2 separate segments .So, you realize that you could take the liquor option for say the first 15 day segment, and the OBC for the second segment. If in the O club at bronze or above you would then also get your OBC 2 times rather than 1 time fo the 30 day cruise. You will have to pay 2 deposits but thats it., ....

Just looking outside the box to see creative options and flexability you can do

Edited by Hawaiidan

• 1 month later...

So if I book a cruise for 2018, and get the house select package as my perk, am I able to upgrade to the Prestige package once on board? It would be great to use Obc for that! However a previous post led me to believe you had to upgrade before final payment?

So if I book a cruise for 2018, and get the house select package as my perk, am I able to upgrade to the Prestige package once on board? It would be great to use Obc for that! However a previous post led me to believe you had to upgrade before final payment?

You can up grade any time after you get on board... considering the sailing day is pretty much lost... Buy the up grade the 2nd day and save $20.

If on a back to back, considering you cant pound down drinks for 28 days take the house package for the first cruise and the OBc for the second, AND if you book not as a back to back but a 2 cruises you double up on OBC, and twice what you would have for the one altogether back to back. Only thing is you have to pay a deposit for each cruise

Wish I was at that point in life I could do back to backs, but unfortunately, that chews up a lot of my vacation time all at once. We like to do one cruise (usually to get away from our Chicago weather) in the spring, then a land trip later in the year. (Next year, Montreal and Quebec City!) But good to know about the beverage package, that's exactly what we would do.