Juneau & Skagway excursions

shipsealand

My DW & I have been on Princess Alaskan cruises several times. This time around we are considering rather than booking the tours thru Princess, to get off the ship in town and booking directly with the vendors. For whale watching in Juneau, Skagway city tour with Days of '98 Show, and White Pass Railway in Skagway, how do-able to get tickets after we arrive in port and what are the comparative costs vs ship excursions?

Edited by shipsealand
typo

Tours should be easy to arrange ashore in Juneau. As to the White Pass and Yukon Railway, you can go directly to their website and price it and compare to what the ship is charging. I recall there was at most $13 difference, and you had to get to the station in town, instead of boarding right at the dock.. This was several years ago, things might be different now.

Lots more advice available on the Alaska forum under Ports of Call. EM

Have you been to Skagway before? Once I had a look at the train station and the zillions of passengers, I gave up on that. AND I love trains.

Instead, I took a tour with the National Park Services in town. Need to get there early, early...to book one of their free walking tours.

I've also used Dyea Dave to book several different tours. Fantastic tour with few people. Did the one to Dyea (bus ride from Skagway) and up the summit tour too. Been to Skagway many times. So much to do and not enough time.

Obviously, they do not like having me link the tour here. So Google Dyea Dave.

http://www.******************

The older I get, the more I shy away from large crowds. More fun to watch the train come back into town and passengers unloading....

Edited by cr8tiv1

Did the Chilkoot White Pass train trip last year, booked via the internet. A small group of us were picked up at the ship dock in Skagway, and driven to the train. We had a small group, and it was very enjoyable. We were dropped off back at the ship afterwards.

Did the Chilkoot White Pass train trip last year, booked via the internet. A small group of us were picked up at the ship dock in Skagway, and driven to the train. We had a small group, and it was very enjoyable. We were dropped off back at the ship afterwards.

Good, I did this a few yrs ago and this is exactly what they did, was picked us up at the dock and then drove us to the station - I was hoping they didn't change this

As were we in 2012. The best part was that Chilkoot had the last car of the train so the views on the aft viewing platform ascending the pass were spectacular and, since they limited the number of tickets to 2 seats for every passenger, everyone got to sit on the 'good side' of the train.

Edited by capriccio

As were we in 2012. The best part was that Chilkoot had the last car of the train so the views on the aft viewing platform ascending the pass were spectacular and, since they limited the number of tickets to 2 seats for every passenger, everyone got to sit on the 'good side' of the train.

Yes! We had the last car too and it was truly the best spot. We spent so much time on the viewing platform and I got the best pictures as a result. Highly recommend this tour and booking outside of the cruise line.

Have you been to Skagway before? Once I had a look at the train station and the zillions of passengers, I gave up on that. AND I love trains.

Instead, I took a tour with the National Park Services in town. Need to get there early, early...to book one of their free walking tours.

Thanks! We have a seaplane excursion booked in Juneau but nothing planned for Skagway. We did the White Pass railroad excursion the last time we were there. A walking tour with a ranger from NPS might be something my wife will be interested in.

Book private excursions in advance online, this will sometimes even get you a discount. ;) When we went to Alaska on Princes, both Skagway and Juneau were extremely busy and we were there early in the season. Locals told us that it gets even busier later in the season and trying to book when you disembark would be crazy and waste precious port time. At least booking in advance you know for sure what time the tours are supposed to be instead of waiting to check when you arrive.

Book private excursions in advance online, this will sometimes even get you a discount. ;) When we went to Alaska on Princes, both Skagway and Juneau were extremely busy and we were there early in the season. Locals told us that it gets even busier later in the season and trying to book when you disembark would be crazy and waste precious port time. At least booking in advance you know for sure what time the tours are supposed to be instead of waiting to check when you arrive.

I checked for Chilkoot excursions for the time our Princess Cruise is in Skagway...The 3 tours were either not available or sold out....and this is for July. Just FYI if interested in this company, don't wait; you may miss out.

I can also recommend Chilkoot as my wife and I had a great combination tour w/ White Pass & Yukon Route with them.

Also, there are some very nice hiking trails in Skagway; everything from an hour or so to Yakutania Point/Smuggler's Cove to a bit more for Lower Dewey Lake to several hours to Upper Dewey Lake or Reid Falls.

I've done the first two and they were excellent, especially Lower Dewey Lake. There is a trailhead marker at the pier. Where you turn left to head into town, you go right to start up the trail. There are some great overlooks of the town. Don't forget bug spray!

Here is a pic of Lower Dewey Lake:

20130623_171003_zps148a10d6.jpg

Skagway from the trail to Lower Dewey Lake:

Picture%20286_zpsqatuuqh3.jpg

Here is a link to directions:

http://skagway.com/skagwaytrailmap.pdf

Thanks! We have a seaplane excursion booked in Juneau but nothing planned for Skagway. We did the White Pass railroad excursion the last time we were there. A walking tour with a ranger from NPS might be something my wife will be interested in.

If you are taking the day to be on your own, then there isn't a huge rush to get tickets. Peak summer may change ticket availability (limit 30 per group). Every hour 9, 10, 11, 2, and 3 (10 and 2 weekends only). Most first timers do not take advantage of this great tour. Check their web sight. I believe there is a morning (maybe several) and afternoon tours. Tickets are free but limited. There is also a trail head at the end of town...that takes you out to a small river, I think. If you want to taste the local brew, you really need to be drinking by 10 am. Or they are sold out. Early May, it was Spruce Tip.

The National Park Visitor's Center has lots and lots of NP Passport Rubber Stamps, if you are a collector.

There is also a Days of '98 stage show (Google this too).

On the Coral, the CD brought on a fantastic performer who did the history of the Gold Rush with music in less than 60 minutes. Worth rushing back to the ship if this is in the patter.

The Dyea Tour was great. They drove us out to this ghost town where a ranger met us for the free walk. Then we asked if they would drive us up the other side of the mountain.

My DW & I have been on Princess Alaskan cruises several times. This time around we are considering rather than booking the tours thru Princess, to get off the ship in town and booking directly with the vendors. For whale watching in Juneau, Skagway city tour with Days of '98 Show, and White Pass Railway in Skagway, how do-able to get tickets after we arrive in port and what are the comparative costs vs ship excursions?

You've been to Skagway before but if you've never done the White Pass Railway and Yukon tour you're really missing out. Up on the train, back by coach. Commentary all the way and an amazing experience. It can't be done by private tour.

The Mendenhall Glacier from Juneau is just a bus ride and it's retreating and different every time you visit. Maybe see a bear or two this time?

On the Coral, the CD brought on a fantastic performer who did the history of the Gold Rush with music in less than 60 minutes. Worth rushing back to the ship if this is in the patter.

I agree. Steve Hites, a wonderful musician and story teller, is not to be missed.

You've been to Skagway before but if you've never done the White Pass Railway and Yukon tour you're really missing out. Up on the train, back by coach. Commentary all the way and an amazing experience. It can't be done by private tour.

Yes, it can! There are many private tour operators who offer Yukon bus/rail combos, including Chilkoot Charters, Dyea Dave, etc.

If you are taking the day to be on your own, then there isn't a huge rush to get tickets. Peak summer may change ticket availability (limit 30 per group). Every hour 9, 10, 11, 2, and 3 (10 and 2 weekends only). Most first timers do not take advantage of this great tour. Check their web sight. I believe there is a morning (maybe several) and afternoon tours. Tickets are free but limited. There is also a trail head at the end of town...that takes you out to a small river, I think. If you want to taste the local brew, you really need to be drinking by 10 am. Or they are sold out. Early May, it was Spruce Tip.

The National Park Visitor's Center has lots and lots of NP Passport Rubber Stamps, if you are a collector.

There is also a Days of '98 stage show (Google this too).

The Dyea Tour was great. They drove us out to this ghost town where a ranger met us for the free walk. Then we asked if they would drive us up the other side of the mountain.

Wondering if the Star Princess will have this performer who did the musical history of the Gold Rush? Was this when in the port of Skagway?

Alternative thinking- some posts above have a slant that it is superior to book the White Pass RR through the ship, for the "town" "crowds" statements. I don't agree. Aren't most people going to go into "town" anyway??? None of the docks are more than a 15 minute level walk, and 3 are less. As for "crowds", there aren't any, purchasing and picking up tickets. Simple efficient system. Of course there are a lot of people around- they are waiting to get on the train. SAME with at the dock and the cruise contracted train.

There are several DIFFERENT options you can combine with the White Pass RR. Knowing the details is essential. The independent vendors give great tours. BUT, you need to book these in advance. They do sell out, and it is better to have plans in place and not waste your valuable port time, trying to arrange something.

• 9 months later...

Hi BQ

I love the info you post. I am wondering if you can answer this question for me.

I am going to book with Chilkoot Tours for the WPR&Bus. It will be Sept 28th. They only have the morning excursions on this day. The 7:30 ( train up bus down, the one I want ) and 8:30 in reverse. Chilkoot has said I would be okay to take the 7:30 excursion as I would be able to get off the ship in time as the ship docks at 6-630. They pick up people at the dock.

Do you or anyone else have experience with this or comment.

TIA