Don't be late! Don't miss the ship!

LMaxwell

A woman missed the Epic on our trip in March in Madeira and managed to get the pilot boat to get back on board. Pictures here: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338124

The captain had sounded the horn several times and she still missed the departure.

From the videos I've seen, that seems to be what happens fairly often in Bermuda - they get aboard via a small boat. Maybe because Bermuda is a day and a half at sea from the nearest land, or the Captain of those ships is just really obliging.

The video description says it was Breakaway and it was Nassau. Video was posted yesterday.

I saw a family miss the Disney Wonder. They were standing in line to get through the port security. I heard the port people frequently ask if anyone is on the Wonder. After a while some guy pipes up. The port people said they had been announcing for a while. He ended up getting the little tugboat to take them. I saw the Wonder stop and turn and I'm assuming it waited.

Not sure why this lady couldn't have done that? Or maybe she eventually did. She just seemed to sit there on her knees and break down. Me, I'd be immediately over talking to the port people and getting them to call the ship.

Sounds like she left her kids with the kids club for the port play. Ouch. Hope everything turned out OK for her.

I was actually on this cruise and I guess what happened was the husband was at the ship with the kids (5 and 7). He put the kids on the ship to go look for her (assuming he did that to get there faster without kids). not sure what ever happened but was sick to my stomach thinking about this. they should of stuck together and went back on time although I have no clue what the circumstances were.

I saw this happening too. It was awful. You don't know the circumstances..but me personally, I would NEVER leave my kids on the ship. Anything can happen..accident, etc.

(I think my kids would have been happy with no curfew though!!)

I am curious (or just admitting I am nosey) to find out what exactly happened. I only heard one story - 2 kids put in captains quarters. ages 9 & 11...but who knows the truth.

There were several pages as well and the ship did not sail away until after 6:10.

I seen this happen too. I guess what happened was the husband was at the ship with the kids (5 and 7). He put the kids on the ship to go look for her (assuming he did that to get there faster without kids). not sure what ever happened to them but was sick to my stomach after watching her fall to her knees and found out her kids were on board. they should of stuck together and went back on time although I have no clue what the circumstances were. I know you are supposed to be back on time but I think they could of tendered them out to the ship and just charged them for it.

This did not just happen as the BA just left NYC yesterday

Was this last week?

Does anyone know for sure?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, this did happen. It Was Thursday and the ship returned to NY on Sunday.

I've read every post here and there is enough blame for everyone to take some

But.....and I know the captain waited as long as he thought he should.....but give me a break....in this day and age of political correctness and having to worry about everyone you pass on the street calling CPS on you if they hear you raise your voice to your child....

And with the parents CLEARLY in sight

And with the ship very close to the dock

The captain was wrong...so were the parents...but honestly..he should have stopped the ship no matter how cumbersome that may have been to do

There is a real risk here for the captain....and ncl should also recognize this...even though I am sure those kids had qualified caretaker(s)....or at least I hope they did....but who knows...and seriously to take that kind of responsibility on is very very risky as this becomes a one on one situation....not group daycare in the club anymore

Housing those kids without their parents for several nights (by day I assume in the kids club) in the Captains Quarters even with caretakers present .....is not exactly without risk

And if anything at all happens to those kids there will be a lawsuit and the parents will be in the right so please don't say the parents brought this on themselves....they were begging for him to stop the ship....they were close enough for him to stop the ship....and there is video evidence

The fact the parents missed the ship will be totally irrelevant if those kids are hurt or mistreated in any way shape or form

Sorry but the risk of sailing away with those kids is worse than whatever it would have taken to sail away 10 minutes later

So are kids this age old enough to sleep in a room at home alone? Yes

In a cabin on a ship in the Captains Quarters alone? No

So bottom line an adult must be with them at all times...

Would you want to be that 1 adult?

24 hour nannycam at the absolute minimum the caretaker(s) should demand

The captain should have waited

I seen this happen too. I guess what happened was the husband was at the ship with the kids (5 and 7). He put the kids on the ship to go look for her (assuming he did that to get there faster without kids). not sure what ever happened to them but was sick to my stomach after watching her fall to her knees and found out her kids were on board. they should of stuck together and went back on time although I have no clue what the circumstances were. I know you are supposed to be back on time but I think they could of tendered them out to the ship and just charged them for it.

Absolutely!!!!!

Alternately wait 10 minutes extra

Too much risk to ncl to have those kids on board without the parents

Captain was wrong to leave with parents so close and in sight

Absolutely!!!!!

It is my understanding the Captain already had waited 40 to 45 minutes additional. How could they know another few minutes would make the difference if the lady did not contact the port agent to inform of her delay?

What if he waited another 10 minutes and nothing?

Kind of surprised the derelict water taxis aren't hanging around the docks at ship departure time to take advantage of these situations....

Absolutely!!!!!

Once leaving the dock is set in motion it is very difficult to reverse

Although the mother may have been in sight as you left the dock, many things had taken place to make that happen. It also is very difficult to stop forward movement on a ship and they also may have been denied coming back to the dock by the harbor master, not to mention the fees involved.

The mistake here is the father who left his young children so he could look for his wife, an adult. Kids should always come first. The bigger mistake is the mother who didn't make it back on time, for whatever reason. Luckily the kids are safe, will be treated well and will have quite the story to tell later in life.

We have been on ships that have pulled away from pier and have then come back for late passengers, and also been on ships where the pilot craft has dropped off passengers who missed the ship. While I stated earlier that the father should never have put the kids on the ship and then left, I now wonder why the captain wasn't more flexible in getting the parents back on the ship. And I wouldn't doubt that the parents will file suit against NCL for emotional distress, or something like that.

But.....and I know the captain waited as long as he thought he should.....but give me a break....in this day and age of political correctness and having to worry about everyone you pass on the street calling CPS on you if they hear you raise your voice to your child....

The captain was wrong...so were the parents...but honestly..he should have stopped the ship no matter how cumbersome that may have been to do

That defeats the purpose of even having a schedule. Just wait until everyone returns? Just hang out by the docks until you want to leave? Don't worry, the ship will wait....:rolleyes:

Housing those kids without their parents for several nights (by day I assume in the kids club) in the Captains Quarters even with caretakers present .....is not exactly without risk

...which is why the father shouldn't have left his kids on the ship.

And if anything at all happens to those kids there will be a lawsuit and the parents will be in the right so please don't say the parents brought this on themselves....they were begging for him to stop the ship....they were close enough for him to stop the ship....and there is video evidence

So... You feel that they should wait indefinitely until mom returns and if the ship starts to leave, go back and pick her up?

The fact the parents missed the ship will be totally irrelevant if those kids are hurt or mistreated in any way shape or form

Then dad shouldn't have dumped the kids expecting them to be an anchor.

Sorry but the risk of sailing away with those kids is worse than whatever it would have taken to sail away 10 minutes later

It wasn't 10. It was 45.

Not according to their dad....the one who left them.

He did.

I've read every post here and there is enough blame for everyone to take some

There is a real risk here for the captain....and ncl should also recognize this...even though I am sure those kids had qualified caretaker(s)....or at least I hope they did....but who knows...and seriously to take that kind of responsibility on is very very risky as this becomes a one on one situation....not group daycare in the club anymore

So are kids this age old enough to sleep in a room at home alone? Yes

In a cabin on a ship in the Captains Quarters alone? No

Would you want to be that 1 adult?

24 hour nannycam at the absolute minimum the caretaker(s) should demand

I completely disagree that the parents will be in the right if anything happens to the kids. You are saying that the parents should win a lawsuit against NCL for this. I disagree. I guess we need to know the exact circumstances of what happened to the kids. Did the dad sign the kids into the kids club before leaving the ship to wait for his wife? Or did he just sit them in the lobby and tell an employee to watch them?

For all intents and purposes, the dad abandoned the kids. Even if he put them in the kids club, that's not a guarantee. The kids club is not there to act as free babysitting. It is there to entertain children for a temporary amount of time, and then parents are expected to return to pick up their children.

No matter what he did with the kids, the minute that dad decided to leave the kids on board and then stepped off to wait for his wife... that's abandonment. It's no different than if he had left them at the McDonald's and told the cashier that he is going to the bathroom and will be right back. If anything happens to those kids while he is in the bathroom.... 100% his fault, not the fault of McDonald's.

For those that were there... did the dad wait on the dock for his wife or did he go out in search of her? He made several poor choices, but the worst one was not being with his kids. Before stepping off the boat he should have clarified with the NCL employees manning the gangplank to see how much time he had. If it was only 10 minutes, he should have stood with one foot on the gangplank.

Absolutely!!!!!

You obviously can't tell right from wrong and the concept of being on time.

This is not NCL's fault. The captain acted properly. The fault lies with the woman.
Totally agree. The Captain waited long enough. The mother knew what time the ship sailed and didn't make it back. She is at fault, as is her husband for choosing to leave the children on the ship alone...shame on both of them. The parents put their children at risk, no one else.

Folks are late at most stops on ships that I have sailed. What is worse than being late is many of these folks could care less. Often the ship is already fifteen minutes past departure and Johnny come lately will emerge from a cab and then take a leisurely stroll to the ship. The attitude is complete arrogance and narcissism by these folks. The world revolves around them and damn the captain and other passengers.

I have watched several cruise documentaries in which this issue occurs. The departing ship can lose its departure slot, and then be further delayed while another ship departs before the delayed ship. The extra fuel burned to make up time to the next port can cost up to $50,000 to the cruise line. No sympathy for folks who are late.

It is my understanding the Captain already had waited 40 to 45 minutes additional. How could they know another few minutes would make the difference if the lady did not contact the port agent to inform of her delay?

What if he waited another 10 minutes and nothing?

Kind of surprised the derelict water taxis aren't hanging around the docks at ship departure time to take advantage of these situations....

They could see her on the dock.

Yes the parents were wrong but IMHO taking the risk of caring for young children when 10 minutes longer or maybe just stoping the ship until she could get a pilot boat would have been the right thing to do

Much to much risk for Ncl to house those kids in the captains quarters.

Folks are late at most stops on ships that I have sailed. What is worse than being late is many of these folks could care less. Often the ship is already fifteen minutes past departure and Johnny come lately will emerge from a cab and then take a leisurely stroll to the ship. The attitude is complete arrogance and narcissism by these folks. The world revolves around them and damn the captain and other passengers.

I have watched several cruise documentaries in which this issue occurs. The departing ship can lose its departure slot, and then be further delayed while another ship departs before the delayed ship. The extra fuel burned to make up time to the next port can cost up to $50,000 to the cruise line. No sympathy for folks who are late.

The father should have been told he could not leave the ship without his kids if the timing was so close to departure

Hold him back. Restrain him. Run after him

The fact the young kids were left behind was just too risky

Parents and Ncl are to blame

You obviously can't tell right from wrong and the concept of being on time.

I think the poster you quoted understands it correctly and see the bigger picture and not just the $$$$

Would you like it if you found out your kids were housed in the captains quarters?

Those kids had better be watched every minute they are on the ship and by more than 1 caretaker

Not questioning the captains credibility just wondering why he would consider taking on this responsibility when the parents were so close

IMHO the crew that let the father off the ship should be fired

If those kids wind up with so much as a hangnail there will be problems

I'm not litigious at all but I'm clear headed enough to realize the potential exists and there is a pilot boat and yes I know that is dangerous too....but realistically being so close to the dock and with the parents right there the ship could and should have stopped

The video will be the parents best evidence

If you read RIVacationGirl's review of the ship, she said she shared an elevator with family members of the couple that was left behind. That's probably why the husband felt was able to leave the ship without his kids in order to wait for his wife -- they had people on-board already watching the kids.

We have been on ships that have pulled away from pier and have then come back for late passengers, and also been on ships where the pilot craft has dropped off passengers who missed the ship. While I stated earlier that the father should never have put the kids on the ship and then left, I now wonder why the captain wasn't more flexible in getting the parents back on the ship. And I wouldn't doubt that the parents will file suit against NCL for emotional distress, or something like that.

Exactly. Under the particular set of circumstances in this situation.....10 minutes more....a little more flexibility....pilot boat.....

All make sense people!!!!!!

Not in all cases....but in this case!

The minor children are the reason for this...not the mother not the father not the $$$$$

At the very least a crew member should have debarked with the father or insisted the father take his kids with him because it doesn't matter where he left the kids....ncl knew there were kids involved. Period.

This will cost everyone much more than they think in the long run.

Edited by Crusin6

If you read RIVacationGirl's review of the ship, she said she shared an elevator with family members of the couple that was left behind. That's probably why the husband felt was able to leave the ship without his kids in order to wait for his wife -- they had people on-board already watching the kids.

Well, that's new information. I'm relieved to hear there were family members to care for the kids.

Exactly. Under the particular set of circumstances in this situation.....10 minutes more....a little more flexibility....pilot boat.....

All make sense people!!!!!!

Not in all cases....but in this case!

The minor children are the reason for this...not the mother not the father not the $$$$$

At the very least a crew member should have debarked with the father or insisted the father take his kids with him because it doesn't matter where he left the kids....ncl knew there were kids involved. Period.

This will cost everyone much more than they think in the long run.

I agree.

If the children were as young as they reported, I think the Captain took a risk in sailing without them - they are minors. The captain sets sail with children on board with no legal guardian present??

The parents could have been involved in an accident/incident.

Annie

Every person that gets on a cruise ship knows that departure times are strict. I agree that both the mother and the father abandoned those children. As a parent I would never leave my children behind on the ship as it sailed away. And my wife would not want the children to be left alone. As I would not want her to leave them to come ashore to be with me. Every parents top priority should be their children's well being. Someone said they delayed departure by 50 minutes. It would be nice to know all of the circumstances. Hopefully the children's grandparents or other relative was on the cruise and they were in their care. I can't believe anyone is defending what those two irresponsible parents did. They should use this video as a public service announcement to pay the little extra and book excursions through the cruise line. And actually include your children in your family vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app