Door decorations?

snoopy5386

I'm a little amazed at the number of people annoyed by door-decorating... it's not like the ship's doors are so beautiful or pleasant to look at... I'm not a door-decorator, myself, but there's more important things to get annoyed at in the world...

In my estimation, there's maybe 10 people on each floor (on average) who will decorate their door, and those who do seem to really decorate their door. I see very few people with small or modest decorations, all or nothing.

One trip, someone's mardi-gras mask was quickly replaced with a sign that read "please return my mardi gras mask!", and the mask was returned by the end of the cruise. :-)

Wow, I'm an amateur compared to those fancy decorations posted above! Nonetheless, I decorate my door for every cruise and I'm 62 years old.

Two weeks ago on a Royal Princess Caribbean cruise, I had a couple of pink flamingos (note my avatar), tropical flowers and a parrot -- all from a package of party decoration "cutouts" I got at Dollar Tree.

I am directionally challenged; with the decorations I can easily find my cabin whether I'm returning "home" from the midship or aft direction. It never fails that people on the way to their cabin, who see me entering mine, will comment that it helps them find their way. And, basically, I'm decorating my "home away from home," just as someone would put Christmas, Autumn or Spring wreaths or other decor on their homes. To me, it's festive, not childish; and on a cruise I'm definitely in a festive mood!

To the OP, decorate and enjoy! Others will enjoy them, too.

We cruised Disney a few years back and I made a ton of door magnets, door decorating is very common on their ships. It's been a decade since we cruised Princess and we didn't have kids back then, do folks decorate their doors for Princess cruises?

I saw only one door decorated on our last cruise. On all my other cruises I've rarely if ever seen a decoration

Decorating the cabin door is a great way to share some lighthearted fun with fellow passengers and crew. Sure, some people may steal or write nasty things, but I've never had that happen in the 3 cruises I've decorated. Switching out the decorations for various ports or holidays only takes a few minutes each day since I re-use small round magnets(Home Depot) or poster putty. Avoid using gel-cling type decorations since the dye can transfer and permanently stain walls or doors.

Usually I'll have one or two days of passenger participation with the decorations, such as a selfie-station with props or writing down their cruise pyramid, with a small reward such as a cruise itinerary magnet or gold coin for them to take. It's not unusual to get a few daily chuckles and positive comments from other passengers and the stewards in the area.

A46D4144-A8B1-469B-A008-F6FE2DC4496B_zpsn5ucbsuv.jpg

F1B6C80B-F5C3-4E70-8CCC-17911C2AF0A5_zpsq65m04x0.jpg

D6E2A716-86EC-483A-BC7F-D0F5F48288D4_zpsqnyl0iz6.jpg

15318EC1-201B-43D8-9ED1-E674EF494A9B_zps7tnfeuj7.jpg

5E6F1E12-2037-47BE-9673-BB4C637D3A9D_zpslpfeydbn.jpg

E51F7EE1-8ADD-4AFD-9E65-77C679C99557_zpsatc7dwwy.jpg

Happy decorating and share some fun,

Wow! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] love the cat in the life preserver

Maybe it was stolen,maybe it fell off the door?

Maybe -- but it happened to my door, and my parent's door

on the same night.

It was stuff from the dollar store, so I didn't have to cry

-- other than for the people who did it.

Okay, this is my take, and I realize it's absolutely not important at all. When I go on vacation, I like to relax. I like to take it easy. I love hotels because someone else cleans and makes the bed. It's lovely, and it's an escape. I don't want to be at home. I want to be on vacation. The only time I enjoyed decorating a door was when I lived in a dorm. And I don't want to go back to dorm room life. I like the fancy hotel life, and since I don't decorate my door at a fancy hotel, I don't do it on the ship. Besides, for me, decorating a door is work, and I don't want to work on vacation.

Okay, this is my take, and I realize it's absolutely not important at all. When I go on vacation, I like to relax. I like to take it easy. I love hotels because someone else cleans and makes the bed. It's lovely, and it's an escape. I don't want to be at home. I want to be on vacation. The only time I enjoyed decorating a door was when I lived in a dorm. And I don't want to go back to dorm room life. I like the fancy hotel life, and since I don't decorate my door at a fancy hotel, I don't do it on the ship. Besides, for me, decorating a door is work, and I don't want to work on vacation.

Agree!

Decorating the cabin door is a great way to share some lighthearted fun with fellow passengers and crew. Sure, some people may steal or write nasty things, but I've never had that happen in the 3 cruises I've decorated. Switching out the decorations for various ports or holidays only takes a few minutes each day since I re-use small round magnets(Home Depot) or poster putty. Avoid using gel-cling type decorations since the dye can transfer and permanently stain walls or doors.

Usually I'll have one or two days of passenger participation with the decorations, such as a selfie-station with props or writing down their cruise pyramid, with a small reward such as a cruise itinerary magnet or gold coin for them to take. It's not unusual to get a few daily chuckles and positive comments from other passengers and the stewards in the area.

Wowie Zowie! You really do get into door decorations. :) BTW: These wouldn't bother me in the least.

Several years ago we decorated our door for Halloween but, alas, someone stole our spider.

Someone stole or borrowed my Halloween sign on our last cruise. I told our room steward and the other steward down the hall. We were on Deck 14 - they found it on Deck 8 - and returned it to me. I'd read about folks having their signs taken so I wrote our room number on the back :D

Princess also put a Happy Birthday poster on our door and put up two balloons. I took the poster down after awhile, but left the balloons up for the 2 week cruise so we could tell how far it was to our room.

Edited by Jessejo

I am impressed. Very creative!

We are cruising twice this year and will have door decorations. We are grandparents sailing with our 7 yo granddaughter and she loves decorations focused on her favorite things. So decorate we will no matter what anyone else thinks!

We are cruising twice this year and will have door decorations. We are grandparents sailing with our 7 yo granddaughter and she loves decorations focused on her favorite things. So decorate we will no matter what anyone else thinks!

Agreed! We grandparents get a lot of joy from our grandchildren's joy!

I wish I could see the smile :) on her face when she is finished. Have a great cruise.

Tony

I decorate my door most of the time. I think it's fun and festive. I don't really care if others think it's silly or tacky. Just don't look. There are things that other people do on cruises that I think are silly and tacky. I just don't pay much attention to them. Mostly I do it for holidays, but I seem to notice more decorations for Hawaii cruises. I've had neighbors ask us not to remove our decorations because it helps them find their cabin. LOL. I've seen others celebrate their anniversaries by putting out pictures of themselves. I actually decorate my mailbox more than the door in the beginning, but now I do both. Last year, in October, I had Halloween decorations up and someone would put a Halloween card in my mailbox every day. It's all just fun and, I guess, I'm just a big kid at heart. Here are some of my decorations...some more elaborate than others.

DSCN0457.jpg.6199c2c2a870b6bf8c55bdac2bc5fadd.jpg

DSCN0925.jpg.4afbd3ffd887b8e0501fbfb4ca3dbf95.jpg

DSCN1558.jpg.80ba5b9aa57cb5b652fe4dcb4833a74f.jpg

DSCN3957.jpg.e12ab0bcc648154fd15398014b4d5f7e.jpg

• 1 year later...

I love the cheeky door decorations. I saw a lot of them in the mini-suite areas. Not the door itself but the mail basket. I've put up Canadian flags before and happy anniversary images. I love the idea above of "This is our happily ever after" sign! Why not decorate? It brings a smile to people's faces. I can only feel sorry for the grumpy Guys above who seem to hate it when people decorate their doors. It's a form of creative celebration. Enjoy!

I've never done it but I'm not sure why anyone else would care if I did. We took a cruise over Thanksgiving on the Allure and there were lots of doors done. I assume if you cruise during a holiday it is more common. I thought it was fun and wished I'd brought stuff for my grandson to decorate with. I guess if it makes you happy do it and if it doesn't don't. It's your cruise have fun.

I absolutely LOVE some of these idea!

It's really disturbing to me that some people seem to have such a negative reaction to something so playful and fun. :confused: Tacky? Well La Dee Dah! :') If you don't like it, don't do it, no one is judging you because you DON'T decorate your door.

We cruised Disney a few years back and I made a ton of door magnets, door decorating is very common on their ships. It's been a decade since we cruised Princess and we didn't have kids back then, do folks decorate their doors for Princess cruises?

We do!

Don't why anyone else cares if folks want to decorate their cabin doors.

I am a door decorator. I can always find something at the party supply store that is appropriate for the cruise. My old standby is tropical fish that I glued refrigerator magnets on the back. I like seeing my door and also inside our cabin decorated. It is such a personal thing. At least I always door which door is ours.

Agree! We have one that is for DH and I when we cruise and we always put it on the door. The room stewards always compliment us on them and then remember our names!!

I got one for my next cruise with my daughter! It says Mom and Daughter cruise the Caribbean! It's cute and I don't care who doesn't like it!