Toiletries

Iceland

Starting to get things together for our forthcoming cruise on Caribbean Princess.

Am wondering what toiletries are provided in the bathroom. Will be taking own shampoo but wondered if I need to pack shower gel.

Starting to get things together for our forthcoming cruise on Caribbean Princess.

Am wondering what toiletries are provided in the bathroom. Will be taking own shampoo but wondered if I need to pack shower gel.

Bar Soap

Body Lotion

In shower, pump bottles on wall

Shower Gel/Soap

Shampoo/Conditioner combo

The stuff in the pumps on the wall was rather watered down and poor quality. If you want good shampoo, conditioner, or body wash you will need to bring your own. The shampoo on the wall is a shampoo/conditioner combination. It works, but that's about all I can say for it.

It works' date=' but that's about all I can say for it.[/quote']

I can't even say that! It didn't work at all for me. I couldn't even get a brush through my short but thick hair after using it. Luckily my hair challenged DH had brought along a small bottle of conditioner. I used that for the rest of the cruise and ever sense I bring my own shampoo and conditioner.

In addition, DH has gotten tired of having to make requests for little bars of bath soap every couple of days so he told me to add that to our packing list for the next cruise.

Edited by capriccio

The stuff in the pumps on the wall was rather watered down and poor quality. If you want good shampoo' date=' conditioner, or body wash you will need to bring your own. The shampoo on the wall is a shampoo/conditioner combination. It works, but that's about all I can say for it.[/quote']

Agree cause most of the toiletries are lousy quality! If you have dry or sensitive skin.....bring your own. If your hair is colored or permed...bring your own. ;)

You can still get the Bar Soap & Body Lotion but only on the first day & then they have to be requested each time you want a refill.

In addition, DH has gotten tired of having to make requests for little bars of bath soap every couple of days so he told me to add that to our packing list for the next cruise.

Interesting...

Every cruise we've been on since the change to dispensers (approx 10), once we've opened the disc of soap a new one appears. If we put the tube of lotion in a drawer to use outside of the bathroom, a new one appears.

Guess it depends on the steward.

The stuff in the pumps on the wall was rather watered down and poor quality. If you want good shampoo' date=' conditioner, or body wash you will need to bring your own. The shampoo on the wall is a shampoo/conditioner combination. It works, but that's about all I can say for it.[/quote']

It's good in a pinch & also good for washing underwear & socks in the sink.;)

Interesting...

Every cruise we've been on since the change to dispensers (approx 10), once we've opened the disc of soap a new one appears. If we put the tube of lotion in a drawer to use outside of the bathroom, a new one appears.

Guess it depends on the steward.

It sure does. We've had a few that wouldn't part with an extra bar of soap during the whole cruise while others would always made sure there were 3 on the counter.

Their extra tips were adjusted accordingly. ;)

It is really worthwhile to bring your own toiletries, unless you are not at all particular about them. I find the stuff provided, even the Elemis products in a mini suite, are clumsily tiny and not very good quality. There are so many travel size products available now in the drug stores, you can get virtually everything you use in a small size. Also, never rely on the hair dryer provided. They're universally awful and pointless. One on my favorite things to bring on a cruise: my own bottle of liquid hand soap. Makes hand washing much more enjoyable and sanitary. I won't go back to those nasty bar soaps ever again!

I bring small bottles of shampoo, conditioner and face wash with me. I refill the bottles when we get home so they are ready for our next trip. I also bring my own body soap, Dove, because I like it.

Even though I brought my own high quality salon shampoo/conditioner with me on my last cruise; my salon hair color still took a beating. The beauty shop ship gal told me it was in the recycled ship water that was the culprit. My blonde/ blonde highlights just faded to drab. Beauty Shop gal gave me a good hot oil treatment and a conditioning shampoo but had to wait till I got home to have a new color done. And we have always brought our own shower soap.

I can't even say that! It didn't work at all for me. I couldn't even get a brush through my short but thick hair after using it. Luckily my hair challenged DH had brought along a small bottle of conditioner. I used that for the rest of the cruise and ever sense I bring my own shampoo and conditioner.

As we typically come in a day or two early we look for a dollar store or other store for some of the toiletries that we don't want to carry in our checked baggage. We have had occasionally leaking sunscreen and such after the tender handling of our luggage by the various carriers.

Both in dispensers on the wall.

It's best to bring your own toiletries. The quality of the shampoo and shower gel is questionable. Might be ok for rinsing out underwear and socks. I used to love the Lotus Spa shampoo, conditioner, and gel and soap bars. But they have been replaced by the dispensers in the shower- yuk- for several years now.

If you want dry,flacky,itchy skin and dry hair and a scaly scalp by all means use the cruise lines toiletries, or any hotels for that matter. As for a bar of soap,useless, totally useless, just turns into a slimy mess, that drips and congeals down the shower wall.Believe me the steward is not going to touch it, he/she will just leave it there to congeal into a foreign useless slimy object.P/S do people use small bars of soap these days.:):).Plus the water is reverse osmosis treated and you wont get a lather from a bar of soap, no matter how hard you try, although DOVE may work.

Bring your own everything and if you have any left over at the end of the cruise offer it to your room steward/room service steward etc. They love to have some decent shampoo, conditioner, gel, beauty bars, etc and will make a time to come and collect it from you.

If luggage is an issue, and it always is, for me, the added weight when flying internationally. I buy from the onboard shop or if the first port of call looks promising find a shop or pharmacy to stock up on supplies and yes I always leave the half full bottles for stewards.