Blue bands for kids

Roatanfans

We were on the Grand to Hawaii April 2. This is the 3rd time for this itinerary, 2nd with the kids. We were quite surprised when at check in they put blue princess bands on my children's wrists and told us that they had to wear them for the entire cruise! Really? We were not happy about this and made our way onboard anyway. When we went to find out more about this we discovered that Princess was trying a new program- in case of emergency the bands had the kids muster station on it (no other identification). However, the majority of the cruise staff (including the kids club) hadn't heard of this new program and had no training or knowledge of what this was about. By the end of the first day the bracelets had fallen off, and a couple days into the cruise not a single bracelet was seen on any child. Hopefully this ends this experiment! The kids club already has procedures in place for an emergency and the rest of the time the kids have their cruise cards and are with us. A plastic band (think wrist bands you would get entering a club or hospital bracelet style) is not going to hold up to 15 days of play and pool time!

The wrist bands with the child's muster station on them is not new. This has been done for years. If your child signs up for the youth program (and maybe even if they don't) they will get a wrist band. My son does not like them because they aren't comfortable and we would cut them off with scissors or slide them off. The children will not be permitted in the youth program without them. If they arrive without one- a new one will be issued in the youth program.

When the children are not with their parents- this is in place so that a child would be reunited with a parent if there was an emergency disembarkation.

I agree with it in principle. If you don't want to participate in the youth program- then you don't have to wear them.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

No- this had nothing to do with the youth program (as far as I know Princess hasn't done this with the kids club- maybe Disney?) In fact, the kids club staff were baffled as to why the kids were told they had to wear these bands- this was done as we boarded the ship and received our cruise cards- no bearing on whether my kids showed up at kids club or not!

I like the idea while they are in the kid's club and putting one on when they enter makes sense. But trying to keep them on for every activity for an entire cruise is asking for the impossible. A good idea that gets taken to far.

How about an arm band for those who have a drink package or are under 21 so everyone can tell that they can not drink. There are a number of other uses for armbands that would not last long for that length of time either.

Edited by Potstech

P&O (UK) has done this for quite a while now. They use a different colour for each Muster Station. My daughter hated the idea and got to putting the thing off and on. If you asked her what muster station she was scheduled for she would tell you the letter and the precise location of the station. She was also totally capable of getting there alone if required.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The wrist bands with the child's muster station on them is not new. This has been done for years. If your child signs up for the youth program (and maybe even if they don't) they will get a wrist band. My son does not like them because they aren't comfortable and we would cut them off with scissors or slide them off. The children will not be permitted in the youth program without them. If they arrive without one- a new one will be issued in the youth program.

When the children are not with their parents- this is in place so that a child would be reunited with a parent if there was an emergency disembarkation.

I agree with it in principle. If you don't want to participate in the youth program- then you don't have to wear them.

Princess has never done the wristbands so it must be something new they are trying out. Disney does the wristband that has a chip in them so the kids scan in and out of the clubs. My kid who has sensory issues was beside himself - it bothered him so much that he refused to go to kid's club as he didn't want to put the wristband on each time (luckily you could remove them when not in the club). At the end of the cruise you had to turn them in or got charged for them!

RCI used to do this and my kids hated it. They felt like they were cattle being branded. lol As soon as they memorized their muster location, we took them off. I understand the use for it but if the kids are old enough to know their way around the ship better than we do and can memorize where to meet, then they don't need them.

RCI used to do this and my kids hated it. They felt like they were cattle being branded. lol As soon as they memorized their muster location, we took them off. I understand the use for it but if the kids are old enough to know their way around the ship better than we do and can memorize where to meet, then they don't need them.

You are right. It will later be useless.

?.. At the end of the cruise you had to turn them in or got charged for them!

So you'd get charged (if your kid lost his/hers) for something you didn't want to begin with.😕

Edited by Treven

Carnival would have these bands. My daughter didn't seem to mind. Our last Carnival cruise was in 2002 so I don't know if they're still being used.

Carnival gives muster wrist bands for kids 11 and younger. They give them out at the Muster Station.

I'm seeing more and more instances where the CCL lines are becoming more similar. Carnival is testing a new format for their Fun Times, similar to the Patter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

So you'd get charged (if your kid lost his/hers) for something you didn't want to begin with.😕

Yes! And I recall on the morning of disembark there was quite a line up of follks frantically turning them in as they had forgotten about them beforehand! I was so paranoid that I was constantly asking the kids where the wrist bands were!

My granddaughters had these bands on RCCL. And if I remember correctly, also on Carnival and Celebrity. They did not mind at all. When they were really young I believe it was on their ankle.

I thought it was a good idea. While they might not be glamorous and a bit uncomfortable, should they be needed in the event of an emergency you, as parent, would be happy they had them. I suppose you could rely on a child remembering their muster station in said emergency, but it's probably easier to have counsellors grab a color band, head to that muster station, without having to ask each child where they belong. I will add that my granddaughters went to kids club every day. If your child never leaves your side I suppose they would not be as critical. They were put on the girls as we boarded.

Just curious- what is the plan in emergencies if kids are not reunited with parents at muster stations? Do they wait for each parent to retrieve their child? My daughter was told in the event of emergency they should report directly to their muster station and their child(ren) would be brought there. Lots better than frantic parents running all over looking for their children.

Edited by cruisingram1

I'm amazed that parents are against this idea especially for younger children, the idea of being separated from your children in the event of an emergency terrifies me. Since the Costa Concordia disaster we always have a check before we cruise what our family plan is in the event of a emergency. We sailed into Genoa Italy twice last year and the sight of The Concordia being scraped at the mouth of the port would make you think about wrist bands and the fact that your on a ship that can sink.

Princess has never done the wristbands so it must be something new they are trying out. Disney does the wristband that has a chip in them so the kids scan in and out of the clubs. My kid who has sensory issues was beside himself - it bothered him so much that he refused to go to kid's club as he didn't want to put the wristband on each time (luckily you could remove them when not in the club). At the end of the cruise you had to turn them in or got charged for them!

Disney used to have a hospital style wrist band with the child's name and stateroom number on it--as others noted, they were scratchy and uncomfortable. My daughter would take it off and only wear it if she wanted to go to the programming.

In part because these were uncomfortable and because they have now expanded the kid area (kids 3-12 have the ability to roam thru spaces that were previously age restricted), the kids now wear a much more sturdy, bracelet type band when they are in the programming. The band contains a locator chip so that when the child's ID is put into the computer, it will show where the band is...hopefully the child is still wearing it. If you've been to the parks recently, the style is the same as the "Magic Bands" that have replaced KTTW cards in the parks. And yes, it costs $13 if it is not returned. BUT you are not required to get one. If you choose to not have your child participate in the programming, there is no need for the band. It is designed to be applied and removed easily, so the child can take it off when not in programming....unfortunately, this means they can (but are not allowed to) remove it while in the program spaces as well. Thus, my comment that the system locates the band, not the child.

Between these two, there was a much heavier band that particularly small children objected to because of the weight. Thankfully, this was replaced by the "Magic band" style. And yes, on very young children, they are placed on the ankle.

Bottom line, on Disney it is required for programming participation.

As to charging for something you didn't want....you didn't have to get it. But then, Disney also has "wave phones" which are (according to my youthful one) the cheapest level of cell phone ever. They are rather flimsy and tacky, and definitely of the variety that could be purchased for under $20. There are 2 in each cabin when you arrive. If they are not SEEN in the cabin when you leave (as in, if the steward doesn't note them) or if broken, you are charged $200 per phone! I've found a damaged phone in my cabin on embarkation and had to take it to Guest Services to get written documentation of the condition so they couldn't charge me at the end! And this is another "we don't even want it." We put the darned things in the top drawer on day 1 and leave them there till the end or till the "low battery" signal starts beeping at 2 am.

Edited by moki'smommy

While on the Ruby this month, my two-year-old nephew wore one of the "hospital-style" blue bands. It lasted for the entire 10-ten day cruise, and after the first day, he didn't even care that it was on his wrist.

The band has nothing to do with the children's activities. It is in case of a call to muster, a child that has been separated from their parents, can be taken to the correct muster station.

IMHO, it's an extra level of safety for children and their parents.

Edited by partybarbie

Disney's bands have gotten better in the past couple years. Originally, it was a clunky thing that scratched and gave my daughter blisters on her wrist. Now they have a small one that doesn't irritate. Didn't bother DD at all. I guess the bottom line is if you or your kid doesn't want it on - cut it off - but don't complain if, in the event of a disaster, you and your kid are separated.

My kids even at 5 and 8 knew where their muster station was- they were always with a responsible adult or at kids club (where they already have a program in place). In the event of a true emergency if the kids were in kids club and not with us, my first priority is for them to get the kids off the ship safely. I'm sure if they started a program where seniors (or any other group for that matter) had to wear one of these wrist bands there would be a huge outcry. Make it a voluntary program, fine, but a colored wristband with no identification on it isn't going to solve much- imagine if the kids swapped them! (and yes, my kids could stretch and wiggle them off within minutes of them being placed on)

My kids even at 5 and 8 knew where their muster station was- they were always with a responsible adult or at kids club (where they already have a program in place). In the event of a true emergency if the kids were in kids club and not with us, my first priority is for them to get the kids off the ship safely. I'm sure if they started a program where seniors (or any other group for that matter) had to wear one of these wrist bands there would be a huge outcry. Make it a voluntary program, fine, but a colored wristband with no identification on it isn't going to solve much- imagine if the kids swapped them! (and yes, my kids could stretch and wiggle them off within minutes of them being placed on)

I've seen a few adults wearing them. Usually those of a certain age and impairment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Disney's bands have gotten better in the past couple years. Originally, it was a clunky thing that scratched and gave my daughter blisters on her wrist. Now they have a small one that doesn't irritate. Didn't bother DD at all. I guess the bottom line is if you or your kid doesn't want it on - cut it off - but don't complain if, in the event of a disaster, you and your kid are separated.

I guess that is a fair assessment.