How old before a child becomes a "third passsenger"?

brianlojeck

I set up my sister-in-law with a mini-suite on an upcoming cruise, as her 4-year-old child counts as a third passenger, and I wanted to make sure she ended up in a room that can be set up for a queen bed for the two adults.

Aside from my nerves over what the room will look like (never seen a 3-person-room before), it brought up an interesting question:

There must be an age below which the child doesn't count as a passenger. I can't find it documented on Princess's site. Anyone know what it is?

As said, anyone after the first 2 is considered a third passenger in the cabin. Not to worry in a mini suite the 3rd sleeps in a sofa bed. My son, now almost 18 has done this forever.

If i remember right the child under 12 also gets a discount on shore excursions and is 1/2 price in the specialty restaurants.

The mini suites for 3 or 4 will have a separate seating area with a sofa that opens into a bed, and above that, a bed that will come down from the ceiling.

The main bedroom area can be set up in a queen configuration.

Your first concern was already addressed......:)

If the child can be booked, they're a passenger.

The set-up in a mini-suite is a queen need in the sleeping area and a pull-out couch that is a twin bed. This is an old photo but the layout is essentially the same for all Grand-class mini-suites. Royal class mini-suites are a bit larger.

acbf53dea1173dc1d3aaacde41325eec.jpg

And don't forget' date=' each passenger, no matter the age, pays the auto-grats.[/quote']

Parents can remove the gratuity for there child if they want and still leave themselves opted in.

There must be an age below which the child doesn't count as a passenger. I can't find it documented on Princess's site. Anyone know what it is?

There are no free fares on Princess ships. Every guest (passenger) pays the established fare no matter what their age, and every passenger is charged the daily hotel charge (auto-tip), which in a mini suite is $13.95/passenger/day.

There is a min. age "The minimum Guest age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Trans-canal and Australia/New Zealand cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises, including transatlantic and transpacific itineraries."

We cruised with our daughter and 10 month old granddaughter several years ago when her husband was deployed to Iraq, and they were the third and fourth passengers in our cabin. Our granddaughter was in diapers, on formula, and ate baby food. I asked them what they provided, as I was paying a fare for the 10 month old, and they (Carnival) said "nothing". I was not even informed that the kitchen could purée food for our granddaughter, as I've heard they will do now. We brought one whole suitcase full of baby food, formula, and diapers! (I realize a 10 month old should be eating table food, but at that point, our daughter had not introduced any.) I will admit that I fed her food off the buffet when her mom was on an excursion, but the whole point of this post was to let you know that, yes, you will pay full fare for anyone in cabin.

Parents can remove the gratuity for there child if they want and still leave themselves opted in.

After seeing how much the crew did for our daughter on her first cruise at 23 months(on a Carnival cruise), we did pay the gratuities for her (that was before auto-grats). The steward has to dispose of diapers or pullups. The waitstaff will still serve food to the little ones (at that age, she was certainly eating solid food and needed her sippy cup filled with milk).

Many times 'third/fourth sail free' promotions on other lines aren't a good price. Their fares get rolled into the first two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My son who is now almost 18 has been sailing since he was 2. The Princess crew always looked after him and doted on him. We had a female room steward that asked him if she could give him a hug since she missed her kids so much. He said okay. She was thrilled. She then had fun making towel animals and he made her drawings:)

I would never take the auto gratuities off for a child. The staff works just as hard for them as they do for adults.

I would never take the auto gratuities off for a child. The staff works just as hard for them as they do for adults.

Especially at the DR where the child tends to be messy at times.The staff deserves the tip.

As said, anyone after the first 2 is considered a third passenger in the cabin. Not to worry in a mini suite the 3rd sleeps in a sofa bed. My son, now almost 18 has done this forever.

If i remember right the child under 12 also gets a discount on shore excursions and is 1/2 price in the specialty restaurants.

Yes, I was so sad when my son turned 12 and was now an adult for specialty dining. We do 3-4 per cruise. So, it adds up. I also appreciated that specialty dining was at a discount under 12. My 12 year old has been eating like a teenager for years (he's a very active athlete), but my younger son is not so much. So I'm grateful for his half price.

In the cabin, having a 4 year old in the sofa bed is great! It sucks to pay more for a cabin, but far better then having to sleep in twin beds and having someone in the top bunk. I was fearful when my kid was 4. He moved at lot in his sleep.

Aside from my nerves over what the room will look like (never seen a 3-person-room before), it brought up an interesting question:

Three berth cabins are pretty rare as there is no point in them really, they just restrict the cruise lines flexibility to book passengers in. Typically they have a number of four berth cabins across the range and if only three people book there is an unused bed.

Regards John