Holyhead tour missed- tour operator not happy

billco

WOW!!! That was about the most unprofessional and pitiful letter from a business to its customers I have ever read...blathering on about their poor employees having to wait at McDonalds was pathetic!

I think it was quite unprofessional of the tour company to complain to passengers! It is one of the risks of being in the tour business to face the possibility of cancellation of a port for whatever reason..

I am sure the captain made the best choice for the safety and comfort of passengers.

Let us know if the money is refunded as agreed.

I've never seen that kind of letter before! But then, I've never worked with a tour operator that would only refund 50% if the ship couldn't tender. I've used private companies in the Caribbean, Alaska, etc. ALL had the policy of a full refund (or don't bill your card at all) if the ship couldn't tender. And yes, we "stung" Captain Marvin's twice before I ever got to Grand Cayman.

While I've read great reports on this company, between their most unprofessional letter and unacceptable "unable to tender" policy, I won't be using them.

Evaluation of sea conditions in regard to safety is up to the captain, not to a tour operator.

On this basis we have challenged the decision to force a "day at sea" on the passengers. We are aware that a day at sea is significantly more profitable for the company than a day ashore, especially in ports like Holyhead where many savvy travellers organise their own shore excursions rather than using the ships.

To what authority has this 'challenge' been made?

And, what is the hoped-for outcome of the challenge?

(I don't think the ship is coming back if the 'challenge' is successful.)

We plan to do a British Isles cruise in 2017 on Princess and no way would I use this company. The letter bashing Princess is really way over the top, and the 50% refund is terrible. I hope someone puts this on the Europe boards so folks on other cruise lines are aware of this operators policy.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

In that case, the email to booked passengers is even more unconscionable.

I'm sorry that you lost any money at all to this company.

The fact that they apparently only refund 50% (if what was posted is correct) then it puts this part of the letter in a different light.

"We are, therefore, deeply cynical that the decision to abort Holyhead was of commercial origin and will issue any further updates as we receive them but sincerely hope that Princess Cruises will at least act responsibly in providing you all with some onboard credit to ease some of your pain and disappointment. I am sure they can spread some of their commercial gains of today with you."

It makes it look more like a get your other 50% from Princess. As you say unconscionable.

On a different note where are the two of you going to be next winter, now that Tahiti is no longer an option

On a different note where are the two of you going to be next winter, now that Tahiti is no longer an option
I know...how does one follow up Tahiti?:( We are still in the planning stages but early indications are that it will, once again, be a departure from our norm. But it's still early days.

I feel sorry for the passengers and sorry for the tour company but the captain is the one in charge. Period. I know how to board the ship, eat, drink, sleep, watch shows, etc. I don't know squat about being a captain or even a regular sailor. Passengers don't have to be happy with the captain's decisions but they do have to abide by those decisions.

Busy Bus kept half of our money so not that big a loss for them.

On Princess tours, all was refunded. Princess lost much more than Busy bus.

It was very stormy, foggy, freezing cold on board (even our cabin was freezing cold). We got on line for a tender ticket at 6:30am (Elites , we are, got no priority. We were disappointed but glad Princess made the decision. Even though the tour operator said it wasn't that rough, he wasn't on our ship.

Tendering could have been awful.

Didn't hear much complaining on board.

thank you Princess for keeping us safe.

Thank you for sharing your firsthand account, and I hope Busy Bus reads this thread. That's horrible they only refunded half your money! Hope you have a wonderful rest of your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Goodness, they apparently keep 50% and then write an email like this? Seems the passengers are the ones who really missed out financially and pleasure wise here.

It must be hard on any shore business that has geared up for a busy day.

We just had a cruise cancel a visit to Newcastle because of a protest scheduled for the same day, they say the local economy will miss out on between half a million and a million dollars.

Not just tour operators as I said, but even things like cafes that have ordered in extra supplies and put staff on for the day.

Having said all that, if the Captain doesn't want to go to any port, nor do I.

Was your agreement with Busy Bus that if the port was missed they would keep half your money? Yikes!!!

Sorry for your loss all around. Other Princess passengers need to be warned about this unscrupulous company!!

Was your agreement with Busy Bus that if the port was missed they would keep half your money? Yikes!!!

Sorry for your loss all around. Other Princess passengers need to be warned about this unscrupulous company!!

I found this on the Busy Bus HolyHead tour site:

5. Cancellation by the Customer where a cruise liner fails to arrive or dock

This paragraph appends clause 4 above and is specific to cruise ship excursions where a passenger is unable to complete their booking due to the failure of port arrival or docking of the cruise liner. BusyBus has adopted a “shared risk, shared loss” that we believe is fair, equitable and honourable to both parties taking into account that BusyBus would, in such a rare occurrence, suffer significant irrecoverable direct costs (losses)

Period Before Tour or Private Hire Start Day/% Payable Of Total Booking Value

No Shows/50%

http://www.busybus.co.uk/terms-conditions

So, yes, that's the agreement if you book with them. It's important to read the fine print.

Edited by Shmoo here

Wow, if I got a letter like that from a company that keeps 50% if the cruise ship doesn't make port, I don't think they'd really like my response to them.

Well, since it's in the fine print in the contract, the company is entitled to keep the money and would tell you so. This is another example of why I like to book only the ship's tours. The letter was a bad idea, though, I agree.

Ha Ha Ha!!!

This company needs a better PR person. Especially after reading some of the negative reviews(and subsequent owner responses) on Trip Advisor.

When researching tour companies, I avoid these -- those with pompous personal attacks against the negative reviewer(s) -- like the plague. Any company willing to get into a petty pissing-match and not be able to maintain a professional stature with their customers (no matter how seemingly unreasonable thay may be) is not one that would ever get my business.

Sometimes the most valuable information about a company's true character can be gleaned from how they handle the handful of negative reviews, not in how they deal with the majority of positive reviews.

The letter the OP posted is absolutely pathetic.

I can understand them keeping the 50% if that is what people agree to. But they have no right to send that letter. And given its wide distribution it is actually defamatory to Princess.

Ha Ha Ha!!!

This company needs a better PR person. Especially after reading some of the negative reviews(and subsequent owner responses) on Trip Advisor.

When researching tour companies, I avoid these -- those with pompous personal attacks against the negative reviewer(s) -- like the plague. Any company willing to get into a petty pissing-match and not be able to maintain a professional stature with their customers (no matter how seemingly unreasonable thay may be) is not one that would ever get my business.

Sometimes the most valuable information about a company's true character can be gleaned from how they handle the handful of negative reviews, not in how they deal with the majority of positive reviews.

The letter the OP posted is absolutely pathetic.

Based on your post I went to Trip Advisor and read the one and two star reviews for BusyBus. I could not believe the rebuttals (really, that's the only word for them) that Managing Director Peter posted in response to them. Talk about a lack of professionalism! My favorite is the one where he told the reviewer that he must be one of their clients that is "unable to have or engage in fun". :eek:

My policy has always been NEVER to book a tour that I have to pre-pay. You never know what will happen, and then you are at the mercy of the company. There are plenty of tour operators who expect payment AFTER the tour. Those are the ones that I book.

That said, This company has the right to set their own policy, but not the right to complain after taking 50% of their customers money.

2 weeks before our Dec 16 Day Diamond SE Asia, they changed our disembark to Singapore from Bangkok due to a volatile state. We found out on CC, Princess never told us, and called UAL. They said they didn't think they could get us home but give them til Tuesday 9PM. At 9:15 Tuesday they called and said the only way they could get us home was to mail us to Bali for 2 days, were we willing to extend our vacation 2 more days and send us to Singapore, Seoul, SFO, San Diego and Washington DC. We traveled 21000 miles in 21 days. I'd go back to Bali anytime.

My policy has always been NEVER to book a tour that I have to pre-pay. You never know what will happen, and then you are at the mercy of the company. There are plenty of tour operators who expect payment AFTER the tour. Those are the ones that I book.

That said, This company has the right to set their own policy, but not the right to complain after taking 50% of their customers money.

If they had sent out a letter stating that in accordance with their published booking policy they would be processing the refund amounts and left it at that I doubt that you would see anyone talking about them. After all their 50% policy was published.

It is the obnoxious letter attacking the cruise line that attracted all of the attention.

Edited by RDC1