Holyhead tour missed- tour operator not happy

billco

If they had sent out a letter stating that in accordance with their published booking policy they would be processing the refund amounts and left it at that I doubt that you would see anyone talking about them. After all there 50% policy was published.

It is the obnoxious letter attacking the cruise line that attracted all of the attention.

Yep. I think the PR guy (maybe the boss?) needs a lesson or two in tact.

The decision to abort a port is based on a number of factors, including weather, tides, and conditions for the entire day, not just at disembarkation. Passengers have to be able to get back to the ship in relative comfort.

Several years ago, I was on a Hawaiian cruise and when we anchored off Lahaina, it was a gorgeous, sunny, calm day. Mid-afternoon was a different story. A violent storm blew up at about 3pm as hundreds were getting back to the pier to tender to the ship. I got on a tender at about 3:15pm when it hit. We shoved off as people ran for cover and spent the next hour and a half in an enclosed tender that was motoring up a wave, teetering and then slamming down the other side. Most passengers and some of the crew were seasick. We had to persevere as the ship up-anchored, turned around and re-anchored, and the three tenders before us disembarked. For many, it was a very frightening if not terrifying experience. At the very least, extremely uncomfortable. Should the Captain have canceled to port? Those in the tenders would have said, "Yes!" but imagine the outcry if he had. After all, it was perfect weather when we arrived at the port.

This is a perfect example Pam. So I have to agree with a post above the Captain has years of experience, and I feel he has the last say.

On our first cruise we got stuck in Hurricane Dennis (I believe it was 2005). I know the ship was rock'n and I mean ROCK'N people were complaining about the way the Captain handled the storm. We were about 125 miles behind the hurricane and the seas were rough. One guy was being loud about his opinion saying "the captain should have his license revoked" and other things ( I can not repeat on here). However the ship made it back to Tampa FL in one piece. Furthermore so did we maybe a little seasick and had sea legs for a few weeks but we were safe thanks to the Captain. Oh and by the way this was just the last day of the cruise so the other 6 days were awesome.

My policy has always been NEVER to book a tour that I have to pre-pay. You never know what will happen, and then you are at the mercy of the company. There are plenty of tour operators who expect payment AFTER the tour. Those are the ones that I book.

That said, This company has the right to set their own policy, but not the right to complain after taking 50% of their customers money.

You are absolutely right!!

2 weeks before our Dec 16 Day Diamond SE Asia, they changed our disembark to Singapore from Bangkok due to a volatile state. We found out on CC, Princess never told us, and called UAL. They said they didn't think they could get us home but give them til Tuesday 9PM. At 9:15 Tuesday they called and said the only way they could get us home was to mail us to Bali for 2 days, were we willing to extend our vacation 2 more days and send us to Singapore, Seoul, SFO, San Diego and Washington DC. We traveled 21000 miles in 21 days. I'd go back to Bali anytime.

Ah? Wrong thread maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow, if I got a letter like that from a company that keeps 50% if the cruise ship doesn't make port, I don't think they'd really like my response to them.

Then you can pay the cruise line price for the tour... If the fine print says it, then you know what your getting into. If you didn't read the fine print, then that's on you.

I read the article and it looks like the Welsh government needs to improve their harbor facilities. In the end, if the captain thinks that docking a Grand-Class ship in inclement weather is not the risk, it's his call. I do agree that the tour provider should have taken the high road, and unless he's a captain of a mega-cruise ship, he really shouldn't be speculating like that.

Also I'm sure the Tour providers that are contracted with Princess lost out too- but it is a risk of the business.

Edited by HI-C-Dubs

If the fine print says it, then you know what your getting into. If you didn't read the fine print, then that's on you.

This is the obvious thinking. However, the whole premise behind the "fine print"(AKA 'small print') is that it's not necessarily conspicuously posted.

For that reason, "fine print" is deceptive in nature.

Nonetheless, it would seem to be common sense for anyone to be booking a service relying on variable contingencies to indeed search out and find a company's refund policy before remitting any payment(s). And after having agreed to the risk(s) involved, be prepared to potentially incur potential losses.

Methinks that @ $45 a pop for 300 'guests' on the tour -- that translates out to $13,500. 50% of that is $6,750.

Even if a full day's wages were paid to the 18 employees at a generous average of $200 per. That still leaves over $3500 left for additional overhead costs(such as petrol and some Happy Meals at Mickey Ds). I'm just going to take a stab here and suggest that this company wasn't in the red for the day.

My guess is that they're understandably frustrated that they didn't get their hands on the other 50%.

300 people on a tour though? Even if this is spread out over 8 different motorcoaches. Visiting the same sites at once? Not that intimate IYAM, in fact, that just sounds miserable.

Edited by Skai

Several years ago, I was on a British Isles cruise on the Crown. I'd booked a private tour in Belfast with a supposedly reliable company that required 100% pre-payment for the all-day tour. I inquired first about the policy before making the payment and was reassured that the policy was just a formality as in the "X" number of years they'd been in business, no ship had ever missed Belfast. Well, guess what? Three big storms converged in the Irish Sea and we were held docked in Dublin for 36 hours. The tour company had at least 12 hours notice that the ship was not going to Belfast. I knew that at least 3-4 buses had been booked so that was quite a windfall for the tour company. After the cruise, people on my roll call reported that other tour companies in Belfast were giving partial refunds so I wrote the tour company asking whether they would also. I received a threatening email back saying that I was aware of the policy, no refund of any kind, and if I posted any negative remarks on CC, they'd sue me. Charming... FYI, the tour company was McCombs. So sue me.

After a day of reflection, the only issue I have with Princess is the timing of the announcement of the cancellation. The ship was scheduled to arrive in Holyhead at 7:00 am on May 2. Shortly before we left Liverpool the evening of May 1, the Captain announced we would be sailing into gale force winds and everything should be secured. Early the next morning it was apparent we weren't going to make port as scheduled, but we went down at 6:45 am to meet our group and get tender tickets. There was already a long line outside the Island dining room for the tickets. The Captain made his announcement at 7:00 am. It seems to me that could have been done much sooner and save everybody a lot of trouble.

After a day of reflection, the only issue I have with Princess is the timing of the announcement of the cancellation. The ship was scheduled to arrive in Holyhead at 7:00 am on May 2. Shortly before we left Liverpool the evening of May 1, the Captain announced we would be sailing into gale force winds and everything should be secured. Early the next morning it was apparent we weren't going to make port as scheduled, but we went down at 6:45 am to meet our group and get tender tickets. There was already a long line outside the Island dining room for the tickets. The Captain made his announcement at 7:00 am. It seems to me that could have been done much sooner and save everybody a lot of trouble.

Maybe he waited as long as he could before cancelling. And 7am is early - people might complain if loud announcements are made in the early hours.

And then people would have complained if conditions changed and you could have got there.

My DW and I had a similar unpleasant experience with a Holyhead tour. We booked a tour with Country Lanes in December and a week later, after paying in full, we had to cancel this very cruise, more than four months in advance. Country Lanes did not refund anything and did not respond to any of my emails asking for an explanation. This was the only time we ever paid in advance. We learned our lesson.

Well it seems to me that if the tour operator went to the press with this issue, then it is fair game to blast it all over Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor. The tour operator's entire handling of this incident was unconscionable , and I would suggest that all future cruisers BOYCOTT this company. I have sailed on over 25 cruises and have NEVER taken issue with the decision of a Captain. The first priority of any Captain is the safety of his passengers. Bad weather creates potential unsafe conditions especially when tendering. Clearly the tour operator was far more interested in the mighty dollar than the safety of his passengers.

Lessons learned!!

We have booked many independent tours with CC members on our roll call. Reputable companies do not ask for prepayment. We will not book a company that wants money up front.

I hope Busy Bus gets busted!! Everyone involved should write them up on TripAdvisor.

They put a negative taste for visiting the port.

I have very little sympathy for the tour company. What would have been their response if they arrived at the port with 50 mph winds and whitecaps in the harbor and the ship had cancelled? We take out trip insurance, they should also have an insurance policy that covers them if the ship doesn't arrive as scheduled.

Whining about it on a pubic forum is now going to cost them far more lost business in the future than one missed ship arrival.

Taking this to the papers is just ridiculous, as is the claim that tendering was eliminated for financial benefit to the cruise line. The line probably loses as much money thru lack of excursions (they do derive profit from these) as they would gain from purchases and activities on the ship. In addition, crew who anticipated some time off while the vessel was in port are disappointed at new work schedules. Those extra hours worked also incur a cost to the cruise line.

Tender ports are always at risk of cancelation due to weather. And that puts tour operators at risk.

Lesson to cruisers--don't book with independent operators who demand up front payment. Second lesson--review the operator thoroughly on line including as many reviews as possible.

The safety of the cruise line MUST be the safety of guests, crew, and the vessel. Had they attempted tendering and had a problem, it would have been all over the web as "stupid cruise line/captain puts cruise passengers at risk."

Edited by moki'smommy

Maybe he waited as long as he could before cancelling. And 7am is early - people might complain if loud announcements are made in the early hours.

The track shows the ship turning south, away from the port at 7 am. The weather report at the time indicated 30+ mph winds until 10am at the port, so I would not fault the decision.

First, I think the tour operator made a huge mistake going public. I will always assume the ships captain and his advisors will make the best decision for the safety of the passengers and crew. Will it always be the right one? Maybe not, but they have the best information to make it. (I'm not saying the decision to port or not was correct as, like the tour operator, I was not on the ship with access to the info the captain had).

There will always be unhappy passengers, tour companies, and even crew when a port has to be cut short or skipped. It is part of the business and the risk these companies take.

Second, scroll down to the comments in the news article. The two comments that were there when I read it were actually glad the ship didn't stop as they didn't want Holyhead to be the first impression that people got when visiting their land. This tour operator going public like this has not only brought negative publicity to himself but indirectly is bringing it to the port also.

In todays world where information and public opinion travels so fast you really have to think twice and have all the facts before attacking a company that brings people to your shores.

Edited by Wolfhunt

Managing Deirector Peter Rosenfield appears to be a major piece of work. Commenting on this to the press? Unbelievable. Obviously he has no idea about most things cruising-related, first being that the ship would stand to make far more profit through shore excursions than on a sea day. A few spa appointments, more drinks served, some fuel savings from traveling to the next port at a lower speed will not likely offset the loss from shore excursions.

As we've all said, missing a port due to weather conditions (current or forecasted by end of scheduled visit) is not done lightly. I am aghast at the fact that BusyBus is so vocally and publicly questioning the captain's decision, and maintain that it's time for them (especially Mr. Rosenfield) to find another line of work. It sounds like Holyfield is considering building a pier to accommodate ships without tendering; I suppose it's possible that all this kerfluffle is an attempt to influence that process and speed it along.

As i have no experience in flying an aircraft ,i never 2nd guess the pilot of an aircraft that i am sitting in when he or she returns to the gate to investigate a caution light that activates in his cockpit prior to take-off.

As i have never operated a vessel over 20 foot in length, i never 2nd guess the captain the cruise ship i am traveling on when he or she says we won't be docking due to weather safety concerns.

i have some experience in drinking beer …it tastes good.

I have significant experience participating in cruise ship tours ,both ship sponsored and private. Based on the bosses response in letter, i won't be participating in tours with BusyBus.

Edited by tml1230

The track shows the ship turning south, away from the port at 7 am. The weather report at the time indicated 30+ mph winds until 10am at the port, so I would not fault the decision.

Mistake - I meant to say that the track shows the ship turning south away from the port at 4am. 3 hours before the announcement.

Me thinks this company needs someone else to handle their PR. Biting the hand that feeds them is precisely what has taken place, regardless if they only provide private excursions as opposed to excursions offered by the ship.

Those forfeiting 50% of the fee would do well to attempt a charge-back with your credit card company. The fine print could be deemed unfair and you very well might get your dough refunded.

I'm not quite understanding if it's 50% of the total cost of the tour being held back, or 50% of the deposit.

To amplify was the total cost of the cancelled tour prepaid or only a deposit provided ?