how to get captains club upgrade to c class

beaveh

In my captains club perks it says i can get a complimentary upgrade to the next level of concierge class balcony.

Does this only apply if I book direct with celebrity or can I get this when booking through a TA?

(I would book with UK TA or direct with Celebrity uk)

Edited by beaveh

You can get an upgrade within classes, with some restrictions. If you purchase a C3, you can get bumped to C2. Just let your TA know your CC number and he/she will deal with Celebrity. I don't believe you can get the free upgrade from C2 to C1. You can't upgrade between classes,such as inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to concierge, concierge to Aqua, etc. Having never been in a suite, I have no idea how that works. If someone wants to pay for my suite, I'll be happy to report on the associated upgrade policy ;)

The upgrade is actually a "down price". You book the C2 cabin and they charge you the C3 price. And as the previous poster wrote, it doesn't work between C1 and C2. If you are booking with a travel agent be sure to let them know about the deal, not all agents know all of the ins and outs of each cruise line's offers.

In my captains club perks it says i can get a complimentary upgrade to the next level of concierge class balcony.

Does this only apply if I book direct with celebrity or can I get this when booking through a TA?

From the Captain's Club "Terms & Conditions" section of Celebrity's US website... I assume that similar provisions/procedures are in place in the UK but you might want to "drill down" for a similar link--I'm sure there is one--in the Captain's Club section of The UK website to confirm...

-----

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

-----

Note that...

• The request for a one-category upgrade must be made at the time of initial booking; it cannot/will not be applied to an existing booking retroactively..
  • Upgrades are available within a supercategory [ie; Concierge Class 3 to Concierge Class 2] and not between supercategories [ie; 1A non-Concierge Class Verandah to a C3 Concierge Class Verandah]
  • Certain cabin categories and fare classes are excluded... Using your Concierge Class example, you can select a Concierge Class 2 stateroom for the Concierge Class 3 price but note that Concierge Class 1 staterooms are excluded from the program [ie; you cannot select a C1 stateroom (excluded) at the C2 price]...

The website is silent as to booking methodology but, here in The US, one can book either directly with Celebrity or through a well-informed Travel Agent familiar with the benefit... In either case, be sure to have your Captain's Club membership number at hand when doing the initial booking...

Works well/easily!

We are trying Aqua this time, but might go back to C class for our next cruise, so it's good info to have.

Edit:

oh dear I've just re-read the benefits for captains club.

I've booked Aqua for my cruise and it looks like I've missed out on a category upgrade, as I didn't tell them I was a classic tier member when I booked my cabin!

Never mind, I'm not sure there's much difference between an A1 or A2 cabin anyway.

I've got a cabin near the back of the boat so it's handy for the sunset bar and the restaurants. Hubby enjoys the walk to the gym lol! So I'm quite happy with that.

Edited by beaveh

We are trying Aqua this time, but might go back to C class for our next cruise, so it's good info to have.

Edit:

I've booked Aqua for my cruise and it looks like I've missed out on a category upgrade, as I didn't tell them I was a classic tier member when I booked my cabin!

Never mind, I'm not sure there's much difference between an A1 or A2 cabin anyway.

I've got a cabin near the back of the boat so it's handy for the sunset bar and the restaurants. Hubby enjoys the walk to the gym lol! So I'm quite happy with that.

Worth a call to try and get the discount. Not much of a difference is better in your pocket :D

That's the one thing that irks me a bit about this perk. You'd think they would identify Captain's Club members and automatically apply the discount rather than having to call and ask for it.

It is worth phoning Celebrity direct, as I phoned months after booking our cruise to change cabins and I was told I could get a Captains Club cabin upgrade, which they applied to my booking.

Edit:

We are able to book A1 and pay the A2 prices. The difference is location. Some will say A2 are a better location.

We are able to book A1 and pay the A2 prices. The difference is location. Some will say A2 are a better location.

I agree about A2's being a better location on the Solstice class ships so we never get to take advantage of the upgrade on them. However, we've enjoyed the aft A1's on Deck 11 of Millennium class ships several times while paying the price of an A2 on Deck 9.

When we booked our Pacific Coastal cruise there were no A1 cabins available. We were able to change from an A2 to an A1 under the Captain's Club upgrade after one became available.

When we booked our Pacific Coastal cruise there were no A1 cabins available. We were able to change from an A2 to an A1 under the Captain's Club upgrade after one became available.

This is good to know!:)

Does anyone know if someone (a friend) who is Diamond on RCI but never sailed on X, but is Captain's Club (signed up) Elite, will they qualify for the upgrade or do they actually have to complete a cruise on X to get the upgrade?

Does anyone know if someone (a friend) who is Diamond on RCI but never sailed on X, but is Captain's Club (signed up) Elite, will they qualify for the upgrade or do they actually have to complete a cruise on X to get the upgrade?

Just give them your CC # and you will get the upgrade. No need to have completed a cruise on X.

The upgrade applies to all CC members, doesn't matter what status you are.

Lets clear some confusion here :confused: with some handy information from the mad Onion;).

Inside

11 to 10

10 to 9

Oceanview

08 to 07

07 to 06

06 to 05

05 to 04

Veranda

2A to 1C

1C to 1B

1B to 1A

2B to 2A

2C to 2B

2D to 2C

Concierge

C3 to C2

Aqua Class

A2 to A1

But I will expand on this a little bit further because if you read it carefully you will see a mistake.

"Categories not eligible for upgrade: 12, C1, SV, FV, and Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W "

C2 is not mentioned in this list but is excluded in the table above? In many cases Celebrity will still offer the One Category Upgrade from C2 to C1 if you are nice about it.

Second thing.

"Upgrade must be made at time of booking."

This is not true but necessary to write as a policy (Because Americans and their lawsuits). As most of you know, Celebrity frequently changes the prices on their cruises. If the price have increased since the booking was made then the attempt to add this benefit would price the booking at todays higher price.

So in reality is. If the pricing is the same when you try to apply it then it can be applied.

"Just give them your CC # and you will get the upgrade."

Correct, But I would amend it to add "Just ask for the one category upgrade".

To often people do not get the benefit because they didn't ask about it.

When booking through a TA, Ask them to arrange for one category upgrade. I would not expect them to think about it if you did not request it.

Edited by MadOnion

Worth a call to try and get the discount. Not much of a difference is better in your pocket :D

That's the one thing that irks me a bit about this perk. You'd think they would identify Captain's Club members and automatically apply the discount rather than having to call and ask for it.

I booked a cruise with the Captain's Club directly the other day. They put me right into a 2D obstructed on Solstice and never even mentioned the upgrade to 2C and I am elite....

You would think Capetian's Club rep would be on top of that.....lol

I got it sorted...

Lets clear some confusion here :confused: with some handy information from the mad Onion;).

Inside

11 to 10

10 to 9

Oceanview

08 to 07

07 to 06

06 to 05

05 to 04

Veranda

2A to 1C

1C to 1B

1B to 1A

2B to 2A

2C to 2B

2D to 2C

Concierge

C3 to C2

Aqua Class

A2 to A1

But I will expand on this a little bit further because if you read it carefully you will see a mistake.

"Categories not eligible for upgrade: 12, C1, SV, FV, and Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W "

C2 is not mentioned in this list but is excluded in the table above? In many cases Celebrity will still offer the One Category Upgrade from C2 to C1 if you are nice about it.

Second thing.

"Upgrade must be made at time of booking."

This is not true but necessary to write as a policy (Because Americans and their lawsuits). As most of you know, Celebrity frequently changes the prices on their cruises. If the price have increased since the booking was made then the attempt to add this benefit would price the booking at todays higher price.

So in reality is. If the pricing is the same when you try to apply it then it can be applied.

"Just give them your CC # and you will get the upgrade."

Correct, But I would amend it to add "Just ask for the one category upgrade".

To often people do not get the benefit because they didn't ask about it.

When booking through a TA, Ask them to arrange for one category upgrade. I would not expect them to think about it if you did not request it.

Your 2A to 1C is incorrect - you can't move between categories. So, 2A is the top of that category for which you would pay the 2B price. A 1C rate would enable you to have 1B cabin, but you couldn't pay for a 2A and receive a 1C cabin ;). Furthermore, we've never got the free upgrade from a C2 to C1 because the C1 category is in the restricted list - we've always had to pay the C1 rate, same for the FV cabins ;).

Last year we were on an RCI cruise and booked a Summit cruise for this year. We booked a Cat 6. We have never sailed Celebrity but are Diamond on Royal. Signed up for CC as Elite.

I called Celebrity just before final payment to change our cabin. When I did, the agent said I qualified for an "upgrade", so he priced it at the lower category (we wanted to stay at the Cat 6).

Not only did we get one of the "conference rooms", but the price dropped quite a bit since we booked. Worked out well.

• 3 weeks later...
Your 2A to 1C is incorrect - you can't move between categories. So, 2A is the top of that category for which you would pay the 2B price. A 1C rate would enable you to have 1B cabin, but you couldn't pay for a 2A and receive a 1C cabin ;). Furthermore, we've never got the free upgrade from a C2 to C1 because the C1 category is in the restricted list - we've always had to pay the C1 rate, same for the FV cabins ;).

Hi Villa UK,

Actually 2A is not the top of its category. it is right in the middle.

Verandas as a 'Super category' range from:

1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D

The different super categories that celebrity use are.

Suites

Aqua Class

Concirge Class

Verandas

Oceanview

Insides

The text I posted is from Celebritys policy.

If someone denies you One Category Upgrade from 2A to 1C please do ask them to check the policy again.

Attached a screenshot with the grid :)

OCU.jpg.19ef5a84bace5269308deb876e38ca7a.jpg

Edited by MadOnion

I have been Elite for many years but I never realized that I was entitled to a one cabin upgrade. Just this week I booked another cruise in a C3 cabin. After reading these posts I called my travel agent yesterday and told him I am Elite and could I get upgraded from a C3 to a C2 and I got it!!!

Love Cruise Critic and all the fantastic helpful information people provide.

Hi Villa UK,

Actually 2A is not the top of its category. it is right in the middle.

Verandas as a 'Super category' range from:

1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C and 2D

The different super categories that celebrity use are.

Suites

Aqua Class

Concirge Class

Verandas

Oceanview

Insides

The text I posted is from Celebritys policy.

If someone denies you One Category Upgrade from 2A to 1C please do ask them to check the policy again.

Attached a screenshot with the grid :)

That's very interesting MadOnion, thanks for posting. I think the received wisdom is that you can't get the CC upgrade from 2A to 1C so your information is very helpful. Can I ask where the grid came from - is it on the Celebrity website somewhere?

• 9 months later...
Am I right in thinking you have to talk to someone at Captain's club to get this upgrade? You can't just do it if you are trying to book online, correct?

There is no need to talk with someone in the Captain's Club. Regardless of whether you are booking with a TA or directly with one of Celebrity's booking agents, you merely have to request the CC upgrade pricing benefit.