help?? small plastic alarm clock

creel5857

forgive me but I cant find this out on other boards nor TSA guidelines that I have seen thus far.....can you take a small plastic alarm clock with a battery in it with you through airport in carry on (sorry do not have smart phone to use it's alarm). I don't need it on cruise but I will need it on land portion, cant take a change on them having a phone in one small remote area. Thanks!!

Absolutely. I've had a small battery powered alarm clock in my travel kit for 16+ years and never had an issue. About size of a deck of cards. It's been all over the world and it almost a family joke about how long I've had it and where it's been.

We use this:

51FU7Z67rIL._SL150_.jpg

It's $13.95 on Amazon and the image is linked for your convenience. The stand folds over and acts as a cover, which is important as it keeps the buttons from getting pressed by accident. It's got a backlight that comes on when you press a button. The numbers are big enough to read without glasses. (Your mileage may vary, depending on your eyesight.) It's got a built in thermometer, which is good if you are somewhere where the thermostat doesn't exactly tell you the temperature. -- Like a cruise ship for instance. It runs on a AAA battery and we usually get more than a year of battery life.

forgive me but I cant find this out on other boards nor TSA guidelines that I have seen thus far.....can you take a small plastic alarm clock with a battery in it with you through airport in carry on (sorry do not have smart phone to use it's alarm). I don't need it on cruise but I will need it on land portion, cant take a change on them having a phone in one small remote area. Thanks!!

There are more checks of alkaloid batteries during carry on security process these days, so I understand your question. I do carry on only and at one stage had to unpack a bag due to cork screw, alarm clock (one AA battery), and a metal tin of something that I had. So what I do now is put these in a separate bag and take them out of my carry on and place them into the bin with my bag of liquids. This way the main luggage seems to go through fine and they can check the battery and the foil cutter on the cork screw without me having to unpack everything.

There are more checks of alkaloid batteries during carry on security process these days, so I understand your question. I do carry on only and at one stage had to unpack a bag due to cork screw, alarm clock (one AA battery), and a metal tin of something that I had. So what I do now is put these in a separate bag and take them out of my carry on and place them into the bin with my bag of liquids. This way the main luggage seems to go through fine and they can check the battery and the foil cutter on the cork screw without me having to unpack everything.

That's an excellent idea. We use those little mesh packing bags, but zippered plastic bags are even less expensive, and they're available most everywhere.

We still love our small, old, analog travel clock where you can actually wind the time changes by hand, instead of having to run through those annoying digital sequences. Magellen's still carries them. https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=MAC257&srccode=NXCMC6&utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=datafeed&source=pla&gdftrk=gdfV210680_a_7c3427_a_7c12938_a_7cMAC257&gclid=COXTk6_ZwMwCFZSEaQod-NICSw

Edited by OlsSalt

No problem going through security. But...just an FYI...I've since used mine several times since 2008, when on the Oosterdam, I used my smartphone....it outsmarted me, and didn't change time on the same day that the ship did, so I missed a early morning event that I wanted to go to :(. I've used my little battery travel clock that I purchased at the Radio Shack in Juneau, ever since :)

No problem going through security. But...just an FYI...I've since used mine several times since 2008, when on the Oosterdam, I used my smartphone....it outsmarted me, and didn't change time on the same day that the ship did, so I missed a early morning event that I wanted to go to :(. I've used my little battery travel clock that I purchased at the Radio Shack in Juneau, ever since :)

If ship's time and local time aren't the same, you can manually adjust your smartphone - just as you do your clock. :)

Edited by Fouremco

If ship's time and local time aren't the same, you can manually adjust your smartphone - just as you do your clock. :)

True. But try writing out the steps for each. It's not even close. Clock: Hour+ or Hour- vs. Phone: Settings, Time, Disable Automatic Time, Manual Time, Ignore Network, Set Time Zone, Set Time. Not exactly easy peasy. :D

Edited by POA1

true. But try writing out the steps for each. It's not even close. Clock: Hour+ or hour- vs. Phone: Settings, time, disable automatic time, manual time, ignore network, set time zone, set time. Not exactly easy peasy. :d

lol :)

There are more checks of alkaloid batteries during carry on security process these days, so I understand your question..

I hope that you are not really planning to bring alkaloids on board -

"Alkaloids are a group of naturally occurring chemical compounds that contain mostly basic nitrogen atoms. This group also includes some related compounds with neutral and even weakly acidic properties. Some synthetic compounds of similar structure are also termed alkaloids."

and

"Preparations of plants containing alkaloids and their extracts, and later pure alkaloids, have long been used as psychoactive substances. Cocaine, caffeine, and cathinone are stimulants of the central nervous system.[191][192] Mescaline and many of indole alkaloids (such as psilocybin, dimethyltryptamine and ibogaine) have hallucinogenic effect.[193][194] Morphine and codeine are strong narcotic pain killers""

If you do, the drug sniffing dogs might get you.

LOL!!!

DON

ok everyone I am getting a little confused (LOL).....my original post was regarding a simple little alarm clock with AA or AAA batteries inside... I don't know all about the alkaloid or whatever.....still assuming having my little clock with batteries inside are ok to be in my checked luggage......

We take 2 small portable alarm clocks -- similar to the one POA1 has shown.

We have one on each side of the bed. Like the idea it lights up at night and has the thermometer so know what the temperature is in the cabin.

Never have had problems flying with them.

ok everyone I am getting a little confused (LOL).....my original post was regarding a simple little alarm clock with AA or AAA batteries inside... I don't know all about the alkaloid or whatever.....still assuming having my little clock with batteries inside are ok to be in my checked luggage......

Your AA batteries are alkaline(oid). Recently there have been concerns about batteries in carry on and they may be checked. So yes, you can take you clock, but put it somewhere accessible in case they want to check the battery.

I have flown several times since September and my clock has always been checked....but maybe that is a Canada thing....

Edited by mef_57

You probably want to put some extra batteries in your checked bag as well. As a rule, we take the sizes and quantities equal to what's in our gear. For us, it's one battery for the clock, four AAA batteries because our noise canceling headphones take 2, and 3 spare AAs for our travel sound soother. You never know when your batteries will go dead and you don't want to pay ship prices.

I always travel with a small Lands end plastic baty operated alarm fclock and have never had any problem with it in my carryon As mentioned, I always havce afew spare batteries

Edited by sail7seas

You are fine. We bring 2 clocks and they go in my carryon bag. Each one has 1 AAA battery that I replace before the cruise.