What is the incentive to book early?

Quince

We are thinking of taking a Danube cruise in October of 2017, a year and a half from now. Unlike ocean cruises, all the companies seem to have a non-refundable deposit. So if we book now, we would also have to buy travel insurance that includes cancel for any reason coverage, just in case something happens in that time.

However, if we wait to book till a year from now, we could have airfare deals included in the cruise price. And from what I can see, prices for this summer are not that much higher, and in some cases a better deal, than they are for 2017.

We're not picky about our room. So as far as I can see, there's no reason for us to book this cruise now. But I really want to! Why do the rest of you book river cruises so early?

We tend to book early for a number of reasons including choice or room, being assured that the cruise is not sold out (as is often during high season for these smaller river cruise ships) and sometimes it it is the lowest prices. There is no guarantee of airfare inclusion and prices drop near departure only if the cruise has not sold well. If prices drop before final payment, sometimes it may pay the penalty and rebook at the lower fare. Good luck.

We are thinking of taking a Danube cruise in October of 2017, a year and a half from now. Unlike ocean cruises, all the companies seem to have a non-refundable deposit. So if we book now, we would also have to buy travel insurance that includes cancel for any reason coverage, just in case something happens in that time.

However, if we wait to book till a year from now, we could have airfare deals included in the cruise price. And from what I can see, prices for this summer are not that much higher, and in some cases a better deal, than they are for 2017.

We're not picky about our room. So as far as I can see, there's no reason for us to book this cruise now. But I really want to! Why do the rest of you book river cruises so early?

We book early because we are picky about our room! But mostly because if you wait, unlike ocean cruises where you might get a really good deal at the last minute, with a river cruise they're more likely to be sold out 6 months ahead. As for your air, you don't have to commit to buy it from the cruise company when you book...ask at booking when the cut-off for air is and then keep checking fares. Keep in mind one of the perks (for ME) of buying cruise air is the round trip transfers that can cost $100 per person to buy but mostly because once I've claimed my luggage and cleared immigration I don't have to deal with it again. As for the discount for paying early, you have to figure out whether that's a good deal for you or not. Danube is VERY popular....and Oct can be very popular as well: fewer crowds, weather still good (hopefully) and air is usually cheaper.....downside is we all know that! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

Check with your travel agent as well when looking at air, ours told us that if we book through the cruise line and it goes down, the difference gets applied to the cruise.....of course, I'll get that in writing when I book. :)

This year bookings are soft because of fear, but normally you have to book river cruises very far in advance. The ships are small and typically sell out early. What will happen next year? Nobody knows -- fear tends to fade, but if it doesn't prices may come down [after you are locked in, of course]. So sorry, can't help you figure out the best course! Ouija board?

I booked really early just because I wanted to pay it off a little at a time, I wanted to be sure I could get my plane tickets using my airmiles when I wanted to fly and we are also picky about our rooms and accommodations. I

I also like to plan, plan and plan and if I can pre pay I do. I want to just show up and enjoy myself without worrying about paying. When we travel I just need money for incidentals, food and souvenirs.

We booked early because we're traveling with 3 other couples and have limited departure dtaes that suited us all. We wanted to be sure of us all getting cabins on the same cruise. We also received a significant flight discount, 2017 cruise at 2016 prices and a free upgrade to a better cabin class.

Andona

Edited by Andona

We book early so we know we'll get our preferred cabin, and also since we get an early booking/prepay discount. I also start watching airfares well ahead of time so I know when to jump on booking. (For our upcoming cruise, I ended up grabbing business class tickets almost a year ahead of time since prices were about half the norm.)

Booking early depends a lot on your itinerary. We have booked as close as 3-4 months and as far out as 18 months for 9 river cruises. The longest is our next Duoro cruise. We've gone before and loved it. We won't go mid summer because of the HOT weather on that particular river and cabins sell fast. Tulip trips can be too early depending on weather (done two). River levels both high and low can be considerations. So too are flight preferences. We like to book our own because we tend to do some touring before and after cruises which for us don't match those offered by the cruise lines. We always buy trip insurance for cruises. Read a lot, look at actual trip reviews, check weather, choose the itinerary that inspires you and just enjoy. PS - sales often sell out fast with and without airfare.

I just took my first river cruise last month and it was so good (fantastic

actually:D)....I already booked my 2nd one for next May:)......I sail solo

and AMA offers some cabins for solo cruisers without any single supplement.

From what I understand they sell out VERY FAST.....so there is a BIG

incentive.....(for me anyway)....get a cabin and save $$:D;):)