All Things Avalon

FuelScience

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

Never, ever, take the travel provider's information to be accurate ... always, always verify with the proper 'authorities'.  Use the company's info as fodder for  'research', much like using an online booking service for information before you book directly with the travel provider. 

while I totally agree with this; what worries me is Avalon stating that an evisa will not be accepted, when it will be. I’m concerned that they would deny boarding over that. I’m going to get something from the consulate in writing and hope for the best I guess.

I know that can’t be less restrictive than the ‘authorities’ but pretty sure they can be more restrictive.

so far everything about planning this trip has left a really bad taste in my mouth about Avalon so I wouldn’t put anything past them. Hopefully this trip ends up being wonderful; but as things have gone so far, I wouldn’t book them again.

Edited by sanger727

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

while I totally agree with this; what worries me is Avalon stating that an evisa will not be accepted, when it will be. I’m concerned that they would deny boarding over that. I’m going to get something from the consulate in writing and hope for the best I guess.

I know that can’t be less restrictive than the ‘authorities’ but pretty sure they can be more restrictive.

so far everything about planning this trip has left a really bad taste in my mouth about Avalon so I wouldn’t put anything past them. Hopefully this trip ends up being wonderful; but as things have gone so far, I wouldn’t book them again.

I see what you're saying ... I'm told that cruise lines' back offices are very often difficult to deal with.  My TA says "the worse the back office, the better the cruise".  Fortunately, I don't have to deal with these goons, my miracle-worker TA takes it all in stride.  Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

19 minutes ago, Daisi said:

She enjoys working with them. 🙂

That is certainly nice. It ties in with the fact that we read few complaints on this board. I do wonder how they handle the Grand European right now. One ship swap is logistically okay to handle, two is a challenge. Could make for some unhappy customers. Well, the Rhine may be going up enough now, to reduce it to one ship swap, just the Danube one that is.

notamermaid

Danube cruise received this yesterday  

Due to low-level water conditions in certain parts of the river there has been a change of your cruise embarkation plan. Your ship AVALON ENVISION will be in Vilshofen instead of Deggendorf. The address for the new Docking Position is: Vilshofen 1, Regensburger Strasse, 94474 Vilshofen an der Donau. if you have purchased a package of flights/transfers with Avalon, you will be collected from the airport as normal.We look forward to welcoming you on your cruise soon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bowsertoo said:

Danube cruise received this yesterday  

Due to low-level water conditions in certain parts of the river there has been a change of your cruise embarkation plan. Your ship AVALON ENVISION will be in Vilshofen instead of Deggendorf. The address for the new Docking Position is: Vilshofen 1, Regensburger Strasse, 94474 Vilshofen an der Donau. if you have purchased a package of flights/transfers with Avalon, you will be collected from the airport as normal.We look forward to welcoming you on your cruise soon.

Vilshofen is a pretty little town and very easy to walk.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

That is certainly nice. It ties in with the fact that we read few complaints on this board. I do wonder how they handle the Grand European right now. One ship swap is logistically okay to handle, two is a challenge. Could make for some unhappy customers. Well, the Rhine may be going up enough now, to reduce it to one ship swap, just the Danube one that is.

notamermaid

I have been in touch with two people on the Avalon BUD-AMSTERDAM that departed about 12 days ago, and one on the current AMS to BUD.  

The west bound cruise got as far as Nuremberg and had to stop. That was day 8 of 16.  The rest of the cruise is bus and hotels. They were given the option to leave the cruise and make their own way home for a 50% refund.  OR… they could continue on the bus tour with hotels, all meals, and all “optional” excursions now included. And they would STILL get a 50% refund.  So, basically, they’re getting a week long cruise, PLUS, a free, all expenses included week long tour of Europe. 
Points to Avalon for that. 

The east bound gent said that they had made it all the way to Passau and were cleared to, at least, Vienna.  They had had two ship swaps but he did not mention any hotels.  I’m rather surprised by that very positive report. 

Edited by Kenster
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kenster said:

I have been in touch with two people on the Avalon BUD-AMSTERDAM that departed about 12 days ago, and one on the current AMS to BUD.  

Thank you for your post. Really appreciated. 1. Quite honestly, I expected an unhappy cruiser react to my praise of Avalon and complain  2. Pleasantly surprised that the good report is better than I expected should a satisfied customer answer me.

Quite honestly, if you have to stay in a hotel instead of on the ship and miss at least 24 hours of sailing, a refund is the thing to offer. Rerouting of minor kind is not an issue. I checked the general understanding again of what would happen in Germany and it is the consensus that a customer must get a voucher in the very least but for any major change affecting the nature of the river cruise must be offered a refund the sum of which will vary vastly depending on what has been missing from the trip.

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you for your post. Really appreciated. 1. Quite honestly, I expected an unhappy cruiser react to my praise of Avalon and complain  2. Pleasantly surprised that the good report is better than I expected should a satisfied customer answer me.

Quite honestly, if you have to stay in a hotel instead of on the ship and miss at least 24 hours of sailing, a refund is the thing to offer. Rerouting of minor kind is not an issue. I checked the general understanding again of what would happen in Germany and it is the consensus that a customer must get a voucher in the very least but for any major change affecting the nature of the river cruise must be offered a refund the sum of which will vary vastly depending on what has been missing from the trip.

notamermaid

Yes, I have also heard that Avalon refunds the pro rated daily fee for any night spent in a hotel. 

About 95%, or more, of comments in various Facebook groups has been very positive about how Avalon is handling this. Even the ones who are not happy about the situation in general (and who WOULD be?) realizes that Avalon is handling it well and trying to make it as painless as possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenster said:

The west bound cruise got as far as Nuremberg and had to stop. That was day 8 of 16.  The rest of the cruise is bus and hotels. They were given the option to leave the cruise and make their own way home for a 50% refund.  OR… they could continue on the bus tour with hotels, all meals, and all “optional” excursions now included. And they would STILL get a 50% refund.  So, basically, they’re getting a week long cruise, PLUS, a free, all expenses included week long tour of Europe. 
Points to Avalon for that. 

The east bound gent said that they had made it all the way to Passau and were cleared to, at least, Vienna.  They had had two ship swaps but he did not mention any hotels.  I’m rather surprised by that very positive report. 

I'd stay in Vienna for WEEKS before I even thought of doing something about it.  As for Avalon, I think I posted this early on in this thread.  They earned my eternal loyalty during the virus hysteria.  They refunded a cancelled cruise without me even asking.  I had booked air through Avalon's air desk, so the total was just under $20K.  I have two more Avalon cruises coming up and we'll keep sailing with them until we run out of European rivers. 

Edited by jsn55
add a thought
  • Like 1

When Covid broke, and everyone was having fun trying to connect to cruise lines to get cancellations, rebates etc, I had to re-book our cruise. My agent said to give her a couple of days (final payment would have been about 7 days out), as no-one was to fast on the phone. No problem, I had time to wait. About 10 minutes later, she was calling me back, and not only was our cruise re-booked, but it was also agreed on booking that the cabin, and air could be changed later. She was so shocked, and while she had them on the phone, she re-booked 2 other couples.

Sad thing was, that booking was also cancelled & rebooked (nice and easy as usual, but not quite the hectic time), so we are really hoping that next Sept. is a go.

Avalon's advertising got us to book tour first cruise with them, their staff had us planning our next cruise on the flight home, and their back office is keeping us loyal customers. As long as they have the itinerary we want, they will be our go - to line.

• Like 4

On our recent northbound Romatic Rhine cruise with Avalon, we didn't have any hotel stays, but did stay for 2 extra nights in Strasbourg on the (stationary) ship, before being bussed to Rudesheim to tour the Gorge and then board the swapped ship.  We received $200 per person in reimbursement.  This figure didn't appear to be tied to cabin class, because everyone in our group received the same amount, regardless of cabin class booked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Jazz, I thought just the initials would be ok.  Just wanted to share the news with fellow Avalon cruisers, as I don't' think it's known yet, there is nothing on the website.

Edited by Daisi

On 8/24/2022 at 2:56 AM, Daisi said:

Sorry Jazz, I thought just the initials would be ok.  Just wanted to share the news with fellow Avalon cruisers, as I don't' think it's known yet, there is nothing on the website.

What is the news? 

• 3 weeks later...