Charters, Group Sailings, etc more common with Celebrity?

clojacks

There are currently a couple of topics dealing with cruises "disappearing" from Celebrity's website that most likely are being considered for either a Charter or large Group Booking. We involved in one of these as our cruise for Sept 2017 has been off the books since early March. I don't routinely follow any boards, other than the line I currently have booked, so I don't know if this is a common issue across all lines, or is it a issue more common to Celebrity? It kind of angers me as it is starting to appear, as I hear from more and more people who have been affected by this, that it often involves very attractive unique itineraries, like the one that we have booked, that people also often book out way in advance because of its uniqueness.

I apologize for breaking protocol and bumping my own thread to the top, but it is a topic I am curious about. As I mentioned in the original post, I am currently in a holding pattern waiting for Celebrity to decide if a wonderful cruise I have booked is going to be Chartered, booked out to a large group, or some other mysterious reason that they removed it from public bookings. I am hearing and reading more and more of this happening to Celebrity cruisers who book well in advance for any number of reasons, only to have the cruise disappear temporarily while Celebrity does something else with it. I am going to assume this happens on all the more "upscale" mass market lines, but is it happening more often on Celebrity, or is that just my imagination?

Edited by clojacks

Have no hard evidence (likely no one has) but in our experience, and we frequently sail Celebrity, NCL, Princess and Royal, we hear of this happening more on Celebrity. They traditionally charter a nude cruise or 2 a year, a Swingers cruise every year, and have chartered their sailings in/around Japan a number of times. Sister company Azamara also does a number of charters (in fact, later this year they chopped about 2 months of cruises out of scheduled itineraries, reconfigured so they could do an about 6 week Aussie charter from Montreal to FL).

The unique itineraries often sell out quickly. We have a cruise booked that disappeared from the Celebrity website for about 6 weeks although during this time it appeared on other sites with a handful of cabins available.

There was lots of chatter on the Roll Call that the cruise was being chartered so a number of folks cancelled. The cruise is back on Celebrity's web site although almost all cabin categories are sold out.

You didn't say what ship or date but you might want to try doing a search with ship name and date to see if a large group shows as being on the ship.

The unique itineraries often sell out quickly. We have a cruise booked that disappeared from the Celebrity website for about 6 weeks although during this time it appeared on other sites with a handful of cabins available.

There was lots of chatter on the Roll Call that the cruise was being chartered so a number of folks cancelled. The cruise is back on Celebrity's web site although almost all cabin categories are sold out.

You didn't say what ship or date but you might want to try doing a search with ship name and date to see if a large group shows as being on the ship.

We are actually booked on the Silhouettes 9/4/2017 sailing from Amsterdam to Barcelona. Here is where things get a little funky. We are then booked as a continuation back to back from Barcelona to Rome starting on 9/14/2017. What is funky is that our 9/4 sailing is missing, AND the 9/22/2017 after we get off in Rome is missing for the Silhouette. Then it reappears for a sailing including Israel on 9/27/2017. I have tried a ton of google searches to find something and nothing comes up. :(:mad::(:mad:

There is a website where you can find a lot of "theme cruises", which are basically either full or partial charters. When you look at the list, it appears that Celebrity has A LOT of special theme cruises, aka partial or full charters. There seems to be a number of full charters by a group called Bliss (swingers) on Celebrity plus quite a few by alternate lifestyle cruisers---their term. NCL and Royal Caribbean seem to have cornered the market on music themed cruises. Crystal also seems to have quite a few full or partial charters from lifestyle groups.

Do a google search of "theme cruises" and you'll find the website that lists a lot of upcoming cruises by special interest groups.

These bookings that "disappear" off the website, are you folks already booked?

If so, are your bookings being cancelled?

If you are booked, have you called Celebrity to find out why it is off the website?

If you are not booked, well, perhaps you waited to long to make the booking?

We were on a cruise where there were (we found out once inboard) 900 religious retreat participants. We did not know this until we were on board. We felt OK about it because we were God Bless You'd at every turn and the Martini Bar was never too full :)

Holland America is doing a lot of partial ship charters in addition to some full ship ones.

They have a lot in January and February that involve both full ship and large groups that cause maybe late seating to be them only and what would be the first show is their event in the theater causing everyone else to eat early and go to the later show.

I was looking at a cruise the week of Thanksgiving and there was a small group on it. Sometimes they seem to be everywhere.

I thought it was just a problem on HAL.

These bookings that "disappear" off the website, are you folks already booked?

If so, are your bookings being cancelled?

If you are booked, have you called Celebrity to find out why it is off the website?

If you are not booked, well, perhaps you waited to long to make the booking?

We were on a cruise where there were (we found out once inboard) 900 religious retreat participants. We did not know this until we were on board. We felt OK about it because we were God Bless You'd at every turn and the Martini Bar was never too full :)

Hi Pete

We are all booked on these disappearing cruises or we would not be worried. Our bookings have not been cancelled, so we are in cruise limbo. Many of us have booked back to back cruises and now find that one leg is gone.

We have called Celebrity and our travel agents to find out an answer. The answer is always the same. "We are looking into it and will get back to you when we know something"

This is all well and good but as the Canadian dollar weakens and the cruise prices go up our alternative for another cruise is in jeopardy.

I know that we are 500 days out but we want to plan.

Barry

Hi Pete

We are all booked on these disappearing cruises or we would not be worried. Our bookings have not been cancelled, so we are in cruise limbo. Many of us have booked back to back cruises and now find that one leg is gone.

We have called Celebrity and our travel agents to find out an answer. The answer is always the same. "We are looking into it and will get back to you when we know something"

This is all well and good but as the Canadian dollar weakens and the cruise prices go up our alternative for another cruise is in jeopardy.

I know that we are 500 days out but we want to plan.

Barry

Thank you, Barry, for very clearly explaining why most of us are interested in this scenario! Other than being in the US, our situation is identical to yours. And not only are price increases a concern, but so are disappearing desirable cabins as the alternative cruises fill up.

Out of interest can you tell if the ship is a full charter or a partial charter booking on the website? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you asking about Celebrity's website? If so, they will never, ever tell you if there's a group on board for fear that people not with the group will cancel their cruise if they don't like the group that's going to be on board.

Was that just a suggestion Kitty or did you actually find the cruise I'm talking about, because I sure can't find it on the website I think you are talking about.

It was just a suggestion, but at least a place to start. Unfortunately, you have to go through all the special group listings on that site to see if your cruise is part of any group partial charter.

Are you asking about Celebrity's website? If so, they will never, ever tell you if there's a group on board for fear that people not with the group will cancel their cruise if they don't like the group that's going to be on board.

No. The site that details all theme cruises. I am surprised at how many chartered cruises there are and the variety of the groups booking them. I didn't realise the scale of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were cancelled by Celeb sev times.. over the yrs,...last time we were left dangling for quite awhile before switching ..and awhile later the orig cruise was in fact cancelled

Princess also cancelled us...said redeployment issues....but it was far in advance so we booked back on Celeb...which by then added Pacific Coastals

After awhile you learn the groups that charter and the ships and weeks they prefer but at this point we only take refundable air and hotels...les stress..b/c u never can be sure!

Good luck...

In answer to OP's original question: I don't think charters are more common on Celebrity. There are so many charters and groups on HAL that someone maintains a special thread on their board here to track them all! And I noticed a page at the back of the National Geographic Lindblad Expeditions catalog titled "Make Our Ships Your Own" explaining how to charter a whole ship and listing their capacities. So everybody is trying to do it -- maybe Celebrity is more successful because their product is more desirable!

In answer to OP's original question: I don't think charters are more common on Celebrity. There are so many charters and groups on HAL that someone maintains a special thread on their board here to track them all! And I noticed a page at the back of the National Geographic Lindblad Expeditions catalog titled "Make Our Ships Your Own" explaining how to charter a whole ship and listing their capacities. So everybody is trying to do it -- maybe Celebrity is more successful because their product is more desirable!

I know what you are saying Jazzbeau, but my definition of success doesn't include pissing off and disappointing your customers and leaving them uninformed for weeks at a time. Try this scenario.... I find a car I want to buy and plunk down a down payment on a special order because I want to get the "special" car I have been waiting for. About a month after I order it, the manufacturer doesn't know where my order is, how long it will take to make, and whether I will even get the same car I ordered or one they feel is a reasonable replacement. This goes on for a few months, when they finally tell me they sold my special car to someone else. I'm guessing I wouldn't buy from that manufacturer again.

Edited by clojacks

I have always been surprised how many charters Celevrity does with its small fleet of ships.

If, as we all believe that cruise ships sail nearly 100% full, why then do they charter and not be more forthcoming to those that have booked? Do they get a premium for these charters? I am not talking about the charters that may have to have everything hosed down, but normal charters.

Barry

If, as we all believe that cruise ships sail nearly 100% full, why then do they charter and not be more forthcoming to those that have booked? Do they get a premium for these charters? I am not talking about the charters that may have to have everything hosed down, but normal charters.

Barry

They get a guaranteed payment, no marketing expenses, all the risk is on the charter group -- plus a good percentage of the regular passengers who can't sail on that cruise will shift to a different one, so their money isn't "lost" after all.

They get a guaranteed payment, no marketing expenses, all the risk is on the charter group -- plus a good percentage of the regular passengers who can't sail on that cruise will shift to a different one, so their money isn't "lost" after all.

Sorry, I can't buy that argument. The cruise line gets guaranteed payment before the ship leaves. We have to pay in full 60 plus days before sailing. As for marketing expense, the on line marketing is basically at no cost. Celebrity must send me 4 or 5 emails a week. All electronic. I will give you the point that a good percentage will find other cruises. But what if they find another line and like it. They may be lost forever.

I have a b2b booked for Sept. 2017. And the first cruise has disappeared. Some friends want us to do a land based trip with them in July. We can't do both. And Celebrity does not seem able to confirm this cruise. So, what to do? Cancel Celebrity and travel with friends or wait till the land based trip is sold out and Celebrity cancels and then we are left with nothing.

This is a situation that is not easily solved.

Barry

Sorry, I can't buy that argument. The cruise line gets guaranteed payment before the ship leaves. We have to pay in full 60 plus days before sailing. As for marketing expense, the on line marketing is basically at no cost. Celebrity must send me 4 or 5 emails a week. All electronic. I will give you the point that a good percentage will find other cruises. But what if they find another line and like it. They may be lost forever.

I have a b2b booked for Sept. 2017. And the first cruise has disappeared. Some friends want us to do a land based trip with them in July. We can't do both. And Celebrity does not seem able to confirm this cruise. So, what to do? Cancel Celebrity and travel with friends or wait till the land based trip is sold out and Celebrity cancels and then we are left with nothing.

Barry

Agree with Barry, but then I have a very selfish reason for seeing his viewpoint in that we both booked the same back to back in good faith with Celebrity and didn't know it until these discussions started to show up. I guess one of my issues is with a company that values their customer base, who sought them, out so little. I know, I know it is still almost 15 months before we are "scheduled" to sail, but as an example of my sailing booking practices, our last cruise was in South America and we booked that one almost 2 years in advance to take advantage of respected excursions, cabin location, etc, etc. I'm afraid that we aren't going to be able to agree with many of your viewpoints Jazzbeau on this issue.

Barry

You must know more about running a cruise line than I do. I don't know that ships sail 100% full, and I don't know when charters pay. But since all cruise lines are hustling for charter business, there must be something in it for them.

You must know more about running a cruise line than I do. I don't know that ships sail 100% full, and I don't know when charters pay. But since all cruise lines are hustling for charter business, there must be something in it for them.

You are wrong. I know nothing about running a cruise line. But, I do know about the proper way to treat customers.

I will agree to disagree with you on this point. And end my participation in this discussion as It appears that you are on the verge of making it personal.

Barry