Credit Card fraud on Oasis, check your statement!!!

$6000?!?!?!? May I ask how much you actually spent on the boat? If I charge $500 and they put a $6k hold on my credit card they will be hearing from me.

There was a high ticket item purchased in the shops and some other charges. The hold was there for each of the larger individual charges and then the final charge was processed at the end of the cruise resulting in a charge for the full amount and holds for the individual charges which eventually went away. My experience has been that Citi holds for a very long time compared to most other banks (no official data just my experience).

We just got back from the April 30th sailing on the Oasis. I started checking our credit card statement on Saturday and noticed nine pending charges from the Oasis. Today several charges are posted with a few still pending. These charges amount to $400 above what we had spent onboard. Only our legitimate charges are reflected on our final folio statement. We spent two hours with RCI and our bank this morning to dispute these charges. I get an email each time a charge is made without the card present and I alerted RCI to the amount, date and exact time. They said they would forward it to security. :mad:

Oh dear god! these people on cruise critic i tell you;have you never been on a cruise before? the cruise charges little amounts to make sure your card is still good, then the final amount may come in while your other 'pending' charges are still pending. the pendings wont post.

We keep all receipts then during the week get a print out of our charges and match with the receipts. if there is a discrepancy, we address it immediately. I have been pre paying for DH's Beer package and the gratuities since last cruise so we have little charged to our acct during the week except for misc items.

Pending charges are somewhat meaningless and misleading at the same time. Sometimes they are estimates of unknown final charges. Sometimes they are a check to see if the card is any good. Bad scans and retries, Etc.

Pending charges typically dissolve and disappear after a few days. They mean nothing to the card holder but they can count against your available credit.

They are not fraud. Yet...

Once the pending charge becomes a firm charge (posted), the value may change. The pending charge may be for $125 at the gas pump but only $35 when it becomes an actual charge.

If a pending charge becomes a firm charge and the charge is fraud, then they will get involved.

Edited by TubbyMrT

Of course everyone needs to be vigilant about checking their credit card bills always, not just for a cruise. However, I am confused when people state they were using a credit card on board. Everything is charged to the Seapass account. Wasn't aware that you could use a credit card on board.

Were the charges from RC or some where else? Not so sure that was answered.

OP did you set a travel notice and were you notified of possible fraud charges?

I just arrive home from South Africa, like much of the world, the CC never leaves your sight on a transaction, one CC, new chip card was skimmed, BA notified me, I called NO PROBLEM. even could still use CC but I did not.

We were on the same cruise and did have 8 or 9 pending from the cruise line but only one final charge for the right amount. This is the first time I have seen any pending from a cruise, but the charges were correct when finally billed.

OMG, the drama and such a misleading thread name!! You wasted two hours on the phone regarding PENDING charges?

###

EXCUSE ME!!! Cannot you not read? I said $250 POSTED charges and there are still pending charges. I did not use a CC on board, only our seapass cards. I had gratuities and one spa tip and some OBC for a total of $131.30 on our folio. Several charges were made onto our card on several days, the highest one for $111. RCI actually called our CC to verify that these were not our charges. We had a three way conversation. I am not the "drama queen" you seem to think I am.

Were the charges from RC or some where else? Not so sure that was answered.

OP did you set a travel notice and were you notified of possible fraud charges?

I just arrive home from South Africa, like much of the world, the CC never leaves your sight on a transaction, one CC, new chip card was skimmed, BA notified me, I called NO PROBLEM. even could still use CC but I did not.

We did not have internet on the ship. I get alerts when the card is not present. On Saturday when I checked my email there were nine pending charges listed as being from the Oasis. I was not overly concerned until I saw that some had actually posted this morning including the one that matched our folio balance.

We did not have internet on the ship. I get alerts when the card is not present. On Saturday when I checked my email there were nine pending charges listed as being from the Oasis. I was not overly concerned until I saw that some had actually posted this morning including the one that matched our folio balance.

so what is the fraud? Mistakes on your account are not fraud

Oh dear god! these people on cruise critic i tell you;have you never been on a cruise before? the cruise charges little amounts to make sure your card is still good, then the final amount may come in while your other 'pending' charges are still pending. the pendings wont post.

A lot of us have never been on a cruise. Obviously.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There was a post a few months back with someone having an issue with his account being overdrawn because he used his debit card on the seapass account, and RCI put a few different $500 holds on his debit card during the course of the cruise. I believe it all worked out in the end when the holds were lifted. But he was very worried--and fellow posters (myself included) weren't particularly kind because his "story" seemed convoluted at the time. But in retrospect it sounds like the same thing happened to you: RCI put additional holds on your account each time you used your seapass for a purchase. It's only been a week. Give it another week or two and it should all be settled. Those pending charges won't go through. They were just a hold, not a charge, and that's why they're still pending rather than processed. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had our card number stolen at a restaurant in Grand Turk while on a cruise. It can happen anywhere, anytime. It was nice of the op to let us know about his experience.

Also, we always check our on board balance so there's no discrepancy. On our last Allure cruise, they had charged us for something we did not buy at one of their stores and they were very nice about taking the charge off our account.

There was a post a few months back with someone having an issue with his account being overdrawn because he used his debit card on the seapass account, and RCI put a few different $500 holds on his debit card during the course of the cruise. I believe it all worked out in the end when the holds were lifted. But he was very worried--and fellow posters (myself included) weren't particularly kind because his "story" seemed convoluted at the time. But in retrospect it sounds like the same thing happened to you: RCI put additional holds on your account each time you used your seapass for a purchase. It's only been a week. Give it another week or two and it should all be settled. Those pending charges won't go through. They were just a hold, not a charge, and that's why they're still pending rather than processed. Good luck!

Yes, I am dumbfounded at the number of people that think I am an idiot or lying. I know the difference between pending and posted. I only charged our gratuities and used my Seapass once for a $25 spa tip. Our folio charge of $131.30 was posted along with an unauthorized charge of $242.29 and another for $13.15. There are still three pending with the largest being $111.70. Actually the amount increased $100 from Saturday to today. That is a lot of accounting errors. The pendings didn't concern me until they turned into posted charges.

I always find several charges from the cruise line in my credit card balance, but I know they will be on hold for a while and then disappear by the cutoff date, and then only a single charge for the correct amount will be left.

Nothing to worry about, unless they actually appear in the final statement.

I thought charges had to post before they could be disputed?:confused:

I disputed a fraudulent transaction on my debit card in March while it was pending, because that's when I noticed it. Called my bank's hotline early that morning. No mention was made about waiting until it posted, but maybe it's different for debit cards?

I disputed a fraudulent transaction on my debit card in March while it was pending, because that's when I noticed it. Called my bank's hotline early that morning. No mention was made about waiting until it posted, but maybe it's different for debit cards?

Could be different for debit cards, I've very little experience with those. I just know I tried to protest a pending charge on a credit card once and they told me I had to wait until it posted.

I'm trying to make sense of this.

Has anything actually "posted" above your final bill?

RCCL's software puts a hold in everytime you use your Seapass card. It periodically puts in holds for gratuities. The pendings will go away. I'd only be concerned if one of them posted. That's how their onboard system works, which is not out of the ordinary for credit card software on land.

Now, if there were charges for Senor Frog's and you never walked in the door, I'd be concerned.

The amounts the OP mentioned sounds like a single traveler. Perhaps the credit card got crossed with the other person in the same stateroom. Now that I would not put past Royal,

Of course everyone needs to be vigilant about checking their credit card bills always, not just for a cruise. However, I am confused when people state they were using a credit card on board. Everything is charged to the Seapass account. Wasn't aware that you could use a credit card on board.

Most people have a credit card tied to their on board charge account.

EXCUSE ME!!! Cannot you not read? I said $250 POSTED charges and there are still pending charges. I did not use a CC on board, only our seapass cards. I had gratuities and one spa tip and some OBC for a total of $131.30 on our folio. Several charges were made onto our card on several days, the highest one for $111. RCI actually called our CC to verify that these were not our charges. We had a three way conversation. I am not the "drama queen" you seem to think I am.

As the OP has stated several times the charges have POSTED to her account. I don't understand why everyone keeps repeating don't worry about the pending charges, if you would read the post before making irrelevant comments you would see the word POSTED was used.

Thank you OP for making us aware of the inappropriate charges POSTED to your account and our need to ensure our accounts are in order.

As the OP has stated several times the charges have POSTED to her account. I don't understand why everyone keeps repeating don't worry about the pending charges, if you would read the post before making irrelevant comments you would see the word POSTED was used.

Thank you OP for making us aware of the inappropriate charges POSTED to your account and our need to ensure our accounts are in order.

Yeah. I see that now. The OP kept discussing pending charges and I missed the post where they said $250 had actually posted. That would concern me as well. The "obvious" assumption is something posted to there account after they left the ship? I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt that they didn't get hit with a cleaning fee...

EDITED: I'm actually assuming the new charges posted after the correct charges. I don't know that, but if they were RCCL, unless they put down money on a next cruise, they should have all posted with the final bill. And $250 would be an unusual deposit.

Edited by markeb

The amounts the OP mentioned sounds like a single traveler. Perhaps the credit card got crossed with the other person in the same stateroom. Now that I would not put past Royal,

OP continues to say "our" maybe she didn't realize the tips were per person and not per cabin.

###

EDITED: I'm actually assuming the new charges posted after the correct charges. I don't know that, but if they were RCCL, unless they put down money on a next cruise, they should have all posted with the final bill. And $250 would be an unusual deposit.

When booking a cruise on board, your deposit does not go on your SeaPass account. You must give a credit card at the time of booking and then those charges are charged directly to the credit card given.