Credit Card fraud on Oasis, check your statement!!!

We just got back from the April 30th sailing on the Oasis. I started checking our credit card statement on Saturday and noticed nine pending charges from the Oasis. Today several charges are posted with a few still pending. These charges amount to $400 above what we had spent onboard. Only our legitimate charges are reflected on our final folio statement. We spent two hours with RCI and our bank this morning to dispute these charges. I get an email each time a charge is made without the card present and I alerted RCI to the amount, date and exact time. They said they would forward it to security. :mad:

We just got back from the April 30th sailing on the Oasis. I started checking our credit card statement on Saturday and noticed nine pending charges from the Oasis. Today several charges are posted with a few still pending. These charges amount to $400 above what we had spent onboard. Only our legitimate charges are reflected on our final folio statement. We spent two hours with RCI and our bank this morning to dispute these charges. I get an email each time a charge is made without the card present and I alerted RCI to the amount, date and exact time. They said they would forward it to security. :mad:

Pending? So what?

I thought charges had to post before they could be disputed?:confused:

I thought charges had to post before they could be disputed?:confused:

I said some were posted. There was the legitimate one that matched our final folio charge and two others totally $250. There are still three still pending that I am watching.

Assuming these were RCCL charges, wouldn't it be more accurate to call them mistaken or incorrect (and to be corrected), not FRAUD?

Works better for click baiting and drama.:cool:

I said some were posted. There was the legitimate one that matched our final folio charge and two others totally $250. There are still three still pending that I am watching.
Your post makes very little sense, so forewarned folks will be skeptical of your claim, starting with me.......K.O.:rolleyes:

Assuming these were RCCL charges, wouldn't it be more accurate to call them mistaken or incorrect (and to be corrected), not FRAUD?

Unless someone else onboard got ahold of the OP's credit card and used it to pay their own account but even if that is the case, it should be easily rectified. Royal has got to have a record of exactly what and who's charges those are for.

Sure sounds like possible fraud to me to have so many questionable charges showing up during one cruise. It is also my understanding that charges that are pending will freeze those funds on your account as they are considered a future "payable". Therefore your available credit on that credit card is reduced by all amounts that are pending.

Sure sounds like possible fraud to me to have so many questionable charges showing up during one cruise.

You'd be surprised at some of the things RCI's IT system does and the weird way the accounting works.

Biker, who is much more inclined to believe this is simply RCI incompetence than fraud.

How do you know it wasn't fraud? The OP is just alerting people to the possibility, which I appreciate.

They hit your card with Pending charges throughout the trip to ensure you can settle up your onboard account when you leave. Don't sweat the pending charges. Just ensure the posted charges match your final bill.

They hit your card with Pending charges throughout the trip to ensure you can settle up your onboard account when you leave. Don't sweat the pending charges. Just ensure the posted charges match your final bill.

You've completely missed the point. The charges that are pending were not charged by the OP. Someone got a hold of the card number and is using it. A great example of why you need to keep your folio and compare it to to your credit card statement!

OP, thanks for the warning. I had my credit card number stolen on our last cruise, so I am wary about using a card on board.

You've completely missed the point. The charges that are pending were not charged by the OP. Someone got a hold of the card number and is using it. A great example of why you need to keep your folio and compare it to to your credit card statement!

OP, thanks for the warning. I had my credit card number stolen on our last cruise, so I am wary about using a card on board.

Very well said. Some people on this board are so judgmental and need to take a chill pill before they post. I work in the financial industry and CC fraud is extremely common and not something to be taken lightly. Either way, these are charges OP did not approve. Whether RCI incompetence or not it is still a form of fraud since the OP did not approve.

OP, thanks for posting as we will be on Oasis in December. I had almost $500 charged on my card for Apple I tunes a few years ago when I returned from Celebrity Summit cruise. I did not and do not own an Apple I phone. Fraud....Bank of America/Merrill Lynch took care of it and refunded my money. I always keep all of my cruise receipts until I get home and check my account. Have had charges while on ship numerous times that were not mine.

Thanks again for the warning.

fraud

/frôd/

noun

wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

If a third party acquired the OP's credit card information and used it to make purchases, it is definitely fraud.

If RCI employees simply made a mistake, then it's sloppy work but hardly criminal.

Until further details are made available, no one knows whether or not the activity leading to these charges was fraudulent. In the mean time, the OP's post serves as a good reminder to always verify your charges.

Of course everyone needs to be vigilant about checking their credit card bills always, not just for a cruise. However, I am confused when people state they were using a credit card on board. Everything is charged to the Seapass account. Wasn't aware that you could use a credit card on board.

I could be wrong but it sounded from the OP's post these were RCCL charges, not some unauthorized third/unknown party that people are jumping to the conclusion to. Maybe because OP used the term FRAUD.......:rolleyes: OP might come back to verify, but I think the point of their post was to watch your ROYAL CARIBBEAN charges. If that's the case good reminder and thank you:)

We recently had several hundred dollars charged to one of our cards to some off the wall airline I never heard of. Not our charge. No big deal - call VISA, they reverse it. And I could care less where/how the number was "stolen". It can happen anywhere anytime, it's a waste of time and energy worrying about whether it was on RCCL or at the local gas station or at Walmart......... Sad but true this stuff happens millions of times every year.

Edited by bouhunter

this always happens while on a cruise- the pendings etc. but they will drop off and then the final amount that matches your bill will actually post for real.

OMG, the drama and such a misleading thread name!! You wasted two hours on the phone regarding PENDING charges?

###

Since the OP school stated there were both posted charges and pending charges that were fraudulent, I don't get your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's not what the OP said. OP said the charges are from the Oasis. Royal Caribbean already has the card number. Therefore it's either an error on the part of Royal or the OP is mistaken but it's not fraud.

OP I think more of what you are describing here is that you believe inaccurate charges to be billed to your credit card account. RCL has not committed fraud as you gave them the credit card number to use for your purchases/charges on-board. Yes, there may be inaccuracies (have had personally) but they reverse them immediately after being notified of them (my experience).

If you are suggesting that someone retrieved your credit card number from RCL and is using it, that would not make much sense because they would be illegally using your card for the benefit of RCL?

Perhaps you are more of the belief that someone else was fraudulently charging your SeaPass account (while you were on-board) and then those charges were flowing to your credit card (not fraud).

I do know that I usually end up with all kinds of hold amounts on my credit cards which then disappear after a week or two. The last cruise I took I ended up with nearly $6K worth of charges which were temporary holds which then took two weeks to disappear.

OP I think more of what you are describing here is that you believe inaccurate charges to be billed to your credit card account. RCL has not committed fraud as you gave them the credit card number to use for your purchases/charges on-board. Yes, there may be inaccuracies (have had personally) but they reverse them immediately after being notified of them (my experience).

If you are suggesting that someone retrieved your credit card number from RCL and is using it, that would not make much sense because they would be illegally using your card for the benefit of RCL?

Perhaps you are more of the belief that someone else was fraudulently charging your SeaPass account (while you were on-board) and then those charges were flowing to your credit card (not fraud).

I do know that I usually end up with all kinds of hold amounts on my credit cards which then disappear after a week or two. The last cruise I took I ended up with nearly $6K worth of charges which were temporary holds which then took two weeks to disappear.

$6000?!?!?!? May I ask how much you actually spent on the boat? If I charge $500 and they put a $6k hold on my credit card they will be hearing from me.