Bottled Beer From Pool Bars

We last sailed March of 2015 on Freedom. If we ordered any brand of beer from a pool bar or pool side server that is in a bottle such as Blue Moon or Red Stripe, it was served in a plastic cup. We had never experienced this on our other RC cruises. As we have a future cruise booked, I was wondering if this is the norm on all ships/sailings now. We found it did not stay cold as long and just does not taste the same as drinking from a bottle.

Not sure of experience of others as I clearly haven't sailed in forever and RCL every but from many land based resort experience, glass on pool decks is a dangerous thing. The risk of it breaking and the clean up missing a piece then someone cutting a foot on that piece - I doubt you'll see a glass bottle at the pool deck.

We last sailed March of 2015 on Freedom. If we ordered any brand of beer from a pool bar or pool side server that is in a bottle such as Blue Moon or Red Stripe, it was served in a plastic cup. We had never experienced this on our other RC cruises. As we have a future cruise booked, I was wondering if this is the norm on all ships/sailings now. We found it did not stay cold as long and just does not taste the same as drinking from a bottle.

Been that way for a long time. Sometimes they have a plastic corona bottle. Not the same though. :(

poolside NO glass containers ever. so no you cannot go to an indoor lounge and bring a glass bottle to the pool decks

a few of the el cheapo brands are served in aluminum bottles.

The el cheapo brand is the biggest brewery in the world, according to Business Insider, with 30% of the world's market. Not everybody is a beer snob.

I understand the breakage/saftey issue, but I had not experienced this until 2015. We sailed on Indy for Spring Break in 2013 and 2014 and were able to get bottled beer. In 2014 we had purchased one of the Royal soft sided coolers and they would ice down a six pack of Red Stripe for us at the pool or if we were sitting on deck 12 above the pool. That's why I was not sure if this was the norm.

A few cruises back there were some obnoxious young girls drinking bottled beer at the pool. One was underage and the bartender wouldn't serve her so her sister would come buy them and then we would see her hand it to the other one. They ended up breaking a bottle in the pool, the pool had to be closed, drained, cleaned and checked by security. The parents of these two lovelies DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The bartenders ended up refusing to serve both of them again and all of us in the area said we would completely back them up if the parents caused a stink. Plus the bartenders got in trouble even though they kept telling those skanks NOT to take the bottles to the pool. So yeah....it is pretty strictly enforced now.

You drink too slow. :D

Last RCCL cruise I was on the pool bar made everyone take their drinks in plastic cups EXCEPT for bottled beer. :)

Was on the Anthem in September. Had glass bottles from the pool bar.

So it does happen.

Maybe new reinforced glass, i dunno.

Kezz

Maybe last year you did, try it now, NO glass bottles in the pool area.

I've seen glass bottles in the past and wondered why they'd serve them. However, I usually order Foster's Lager in the 25 oz can because it's the best beer value on the cruise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I always bring my 12oz Yeti highball to drink my beers (and any other drink for that matter) around the pool. They won't pour it for you, but they pour into the plastic cup and then I pour it into the Yeti. Not quite as good as glass, but it stays cold.

I have only been sailing RCL since Nov 2014 and only been on the Oasis and the Freedom class ships and they have not allowed glass bottles to be served. I am talking even at night when hubby was up enjoying a cigar on the Oasis.

I do not think glass should be allowed on the pool deck, as much as I hate drinking out of plastic. I was in Cuba at a resort in March and there were some drunks that broke some bottles in the main pool - it shut down the pool for 24 hours while they drained and cleaned it to make sure it was safe. Not cool.

When I ordered Corona in Labaddee last month, they took the glass bottles and poured them into a plastic Corona bottles - it made the beer go flat IMHO.

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

I have only been sailing RCL since Nov 2014 and only been on the Oasis and the Freedom class ships and they have not allowed glass bottles to be served. I am talking even at night when hubby was up enjoying a cigar on the Oasis.

I do not think glass should be allowed on the pool deck, as much as a hate drinking out of plastic. I was in Cuba at a resort in March and there were some drunks that broke some bottles in the main pool - it shut down the pool for 24 hours while they drained and cleaned it to make sure it was safe. Not cool.

When I ordered Corona in Labaddee last month, they took the glass bottles and poured them into a plastic Corona bottles - it made the beer go flat IMHO.

I have only been sailing RCL since Nov 2014 and only been on the Oasis and the Freedom class ships ......... it made the beer go flat IMHO.

I have only been sailing RCL since Nov 2014 and only been on the Oasis and the Freedom class ships ......... it made the beer go flat IMHO.

Wow! What an echo! :D:D

The el cheapo brand is the biggest brewery in the world, according to Business Insider, with 30% of the world's market. Not everybody is a beer snob.

You need to give Spook more credit. She is not just a snob about beer.

Last week on Freedom they were serving beers in a plastic mug at the Pool and Solarium bars. I had to triple promise the Solarium bartender that I would take two unopened bottles of Sierra Nevada straight back to my cabin.