Radiance to Alaska - fish, deck 4 cabins

I apologize in advance as I could not seem to post this directly in the Radiance Forum. I am also sure all these answers are out there but after searching and researching and scrolling through endless pages of random stuff, I am just giving in and asking.:o

We are cruising to Alaska and all I see mentioned is fish, fish and more fish along with various kinds of seafood. While not allergic to fish and seafood, I really don't eat much beyond the occasional bit of salmon. Is there the usual variety of food on a cruise like this, or is this a case of "when in Rome.."?

I booked my mother on her first cruise ever in OV Deck 4, about ten cabins towards midship from the fore elevator bank. It appears they are under the promenade deck or the photo gallery/shop. I could not find hers or any nearby rooms listed in the rooms stickies or on any search. Does anyone know if you get a lot of overhead noise from people walking around?

Thanks!

I apologize in advance as I could not seem to post this directly in the Radiance Forum. I am also sure all these answers are out there but after searching and researching and scrolling through endless pages of random stuff, I am just giving in and asking.:o

We are cruising to Alaska and all I see mentioned is fish, fish and more fish along with various kinds of seafood. While not allergic to fish and seafood, I really don't eat much beyond the occasional bit of salmon. Is there the usual variety of food on a cruise like this, or is this a case of "when in Rome.."?

I booked my mother on her first cruise ever in OV Deck 4, about ten cabins towards midship from the fore elevator bank. It appears they are under the promenade deck or the photo gallery/shop. I could not find hers or any nearby rooms listed in the rooms stickies or on any search. Does anyone know if you get a lot of overhead noise from people walking around?

Thanks!

They still use the regular menus.

If you are *lucky*, they may add something local, but it's really just the usual menus.

There is a very nice variety of food served during all meals. You will be quite happy with the selections.

I'm not sure about the noise question you asked. Hopefully, someone with insight will answer.

The Radiance is a very beautiful ship. We were aboard her for a southbound cruise in August 2012. Below is a link to the pictures my wife took for her website. You might enjoy viewing them when you have time.

Radiance of the Seas Alaska Cruise

Alaska is amazing. Take lots of pictures. Happy sailing!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I detest fish and seafood in general (if it spends the majority/all of its life in water it does not cross my lips) and had multiple choices of things to eat every night on the Radiance. The only place that annoyed me was they made Rita's Cantina into a Crab Shack. Yes, it was a pay extra place, but still. Some people actually like Tex-Mex even in Alaska.

Can't help with Deck 4 info as I was on Deck 3.

Enjoy Alaska and the Radiance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I apologize in advance as I could not seem to post this directly in the Radiance Forum...

Just so you know, there is no Radiance Forum. The links at the top of the page are not individual boards, but they are search results for threads about each ship. The Radiance link will take you to threads where people have written "Radiance" in the title. :)

Just so you know, there is no Radiance Forum. The links at the top of the page are not individual boards, but they are search results for threads about each ship. The Radiance link will take you to threads where people have written "Radiance" in the title. :)

Thank you for explaining that! I was feeling pretty clueless.

I detest fish and seafood in general (if it spends the majority/all of its life in water it does not cross my lips) and had multiple choices of things to eat every night on the Radiance. The only place that annoyed me was they made Rita's Cantina into a Crab Shack. Yes, it was a pay extra place, but still. Some people actually like Tex-Mex even in Alaska.

I hear ya. My oldest daughter isn't a fish fan either so I'm glad to hear there are options. The website is currently showing Rita's Cantina as being on Radiance. Is that not correct? I am all about some margarita's!

Edited by GetMeOutOfMN

Below is a link to the pictures my wife took for her website. You might enjoy viewing them when you have time.

Thanks! I will definitely check them out. The ship is in dry dock now, so I'm hoping she will be in tip-top shape!

Can't help with Deck 4 info as I was on Deck 3.

Enjoy Alaska and the Radiance!!

To be frank, Rita's Cantina is a failure across the board, IMO. Very rarely is it busy. On Radiance Class, most times it is used as overflow WJ seating. It has been removed from Allure. The Crab Shack concept on Radiance was introduced because tex-mex was not working.

To be frank, Rita's Cantina is a failure across the board, IMO. Very rarely is it busy. On Radiance Class, most times it is used as overflow WJ seating. It has been removed from Allure. The Crab Shack concept on Radiance was introduced because tex-mex was not working.

Not sure it's doing much better !

However, it serves Alaska Amber Ale so it's not all bad:D

We were in a deck 4 interior last year and will be deck 4 interior again this year. There was some noise but it wasn't excessive, and we didn't have much noise at all after about 9PM.

The menus are the same, although if you eat in port there are a lot of places that will serve King Crab, Smoked Salmon, and Halibut. I love crab but am not much of a fish person, that being said I highly recommend trying some Alaskan halibut if you get the chance. It's the only fish I'll eat.

I hear ya. My oldest daughter isn't a fish fan either so I'm glad to hear there are options. The website is currently showing Rita's Cantina as being on Radiance. Is that not correct? I am all about some margarita's!

Nope. It changes in Alaska.

Pretty sure most of the bars could make a margarita...I don't know though as tequila is no bueno for me (makes me hyper as heck) so I avoid things that contain it.

[quote=SPacificbound;49962074

I always book cabins with a deck of cabins above and below. Maybe you could change her cabin.

She decided just a few weeks ago to join us and this is a full boat... there is only deck 8 far forward next to a FO and others on deck 4. I was thinking low midship would be better for a first-timer and at first I thought the room was below the photo gallery which seemed quiet enough. But are they really under the promenade? Perhaps I overthink things... I just really want Mom to have the cruise of a lifetime. :D

They do serve margarita's in the crab shack. They actually have specials on the margarita's a few nights throughout the cruise. Last May, we did dinner at the crab shack and they had some of the strongest margarita's around.

She decided just a few weeks ago to join us and this is a full boat... there is only deck 8 far forward next to a FO and others on deck 4. I was thinking low midship would be better for a first-timer and at first I thought the room was below the photo gallery which seemed quiet enough. But are they really under the promenade? Perhaps I overthink things... I just really want Mom to have the cruise of a lifetime. :D

I think your Mom's cabin will be fine...the outside Promenade is not going to have that much traffic at night...you may hear people walking or talking during the day, but I don't think it will be a problem....have her bring a pair of ear plugs just in case & she won't have to worry...