Grand Mexico Riviera Brief Review

Tedferg

Just back from 10 day Mexico Riviera on Grand from SFO - great cruise. Ship does have a little wear and tear but nowhere near what we expected.

As others have said, the crew were exceptional - happy, smiling and very efficient.

Enjoyed Crown Grill and surcharge is still $25.

In Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlán we paid $20 per head for four and had three hour tours - Taxi in PV mini van in Mazatlán. Great way for quick site seeing tour.

In Cabo we took Water Taxi from pier. Out to the rocks, Arch, Pirate cave etc. Over to Medano Beach then picked up two ours later and returned to pier. $15 per head round trip. Note the Arch is still there but not visible unless you take a boat out to it.

Manzanillo is an arm pit and not worth getting off the ship. If we do it again we would take an excursion to Colima or Turtle sanctuary to avoid wasting a day.

Drove from Sacramento area and parked at 55 Francisco - $208 for ten days. Self disembark at 7:45, drove out of garage at 8:20 home at 10:40. Great experience.

Edited by Tedferg

My husband and I really liked Manzanillo. It doesn't get many cruise ships, although this may change soon, and it's not "touristy". You can walk around the town near the port unmolested by vendors trying to sell you junk. There are souvenir shops with the usual crap but very few. No Senor Frogs, Carlos and Charlie's or Diamond International :eek:, at least not when we were there a few years ago. I'd love to visit it again.

My husband and I really liked Manzanillo. It doesn't get many cruise ships, although this may change soon, and it's not "touristy". You can walk around the town near the port unmolested by vendors trying to sell you junk. There are souvenir shops with the usual crap but very few. No Senor Frogs, Carlos and Charlie's or Diamond International :eek:, at least not when we were there a few years ago. I'd love to visit it again.

I understand what you are saying, but we found it to be sadly neglected. Some nice wrought iron benches and fences around harbor area would look so much better with a coat of paint. How hard would that be for the city fathers. We were very disappointed in the state of the stores, streets, sidewalks. DW did buy a nice cotton top, friendly store owner and four of us enjoyed a beer and chips in a restaurant on main street near harbor.

The most obvious examples of her age were a ring around cabin toilet; scrapes on inside of elevator doors; upholstery in crooners and MDR. Also buckets on the floor to catch drips several times. Nothing serious.

We were on this same cruise with you, Tedferg. Our chief complaint was the Cruise Director (cannot remember his name). I thought he lacked the skill in timing the programs and entertainment. Too many things overlapped and there were too many parts of a day/evening when there wasn't anything of interest to do. We found ourselves spending more time in our balcony cabin just reading and watching the sea life outside. We saw whales and huge pods of dolphins.

We found Manzanilla quite a disappointment. Fortunately (?) we took the tour to Colima and the ruins. I do have to say, this tour was also a disappointment as it described visiting the town but we ended up being herded into a museum where too much time spent being told of the Mexican history while being shown a wall mural. Hey, I can read history in a book. We wanted to spend time exploring this beautiful little town but was given only a short time to eat lunch, quickly check out a RC church, and get herded back onto a bus.

I would recommend to anyone interested, try to book a private tour and not go with this Princess excursion. Our tour guide, "Cheeto" talked the entire (almost 1-1/2 hr) bus ride and never stopped. Brief descriptions would have been adequate but his long and detailed stories were relentless. I think someone must have said something to him during our lunch break because he did admit to being very talkative and promised to stay quiet on our ride back. Being on a bus for three hours with only a simple lunch and short tour of a museum and ho-hum ruins was definitely not worth the $200+ for both my husband and myself.

However, Mazatlan made up for it! We absolutely LOVED Mazatlan. It is a beautiful city with historically significant architecture. We took a $30 open-air cab ride then spent the rest of the day exploring, on our own, the historic district and a part of the Malecon. We would go back there in a snap.

Been on the Grand 7 times in the past three years and never encountered a bucket to catch water. I'm sure there are times they were there but we somehow seem to have always missed this one. We had calm seas and clear skies every day. It was over all an enjoyable cruise with lots of much needed rest.

Edited by iceleven

Wow....I guess different strokes for different folks. I would book a cruise simply because Manzanillo is on the itinerary. This is one of my favorite of all the ports in Mexico ... and I have been there 4 times already.

As far as Mazatlán, we never bother to get off the ship there. We've probably been there 2 dozen times and it is just a pit. And we don't tender over in Cabo San Lucas anymore. It used to be so charming -- now just reminds me of making my way around in Los Angeles....with vendors hounding you the entire way. Don't get me wrong, I just love cruising down to Mexico ... it is beautiful from the ship if my itinerary doesn't include ports where I love to explore, such as Manzanillo, La Paz, Loreto or Ixtapa / Zihuatanejo.

Guess it is good that we all don't like the same things.

We were on this same cruise with you, Tedferg. Our chief complaint was the Cruise Director (cannot remember his name). I thought he lacked the skill in timing the programs and entertainment. Too many things overlapped and there were too many parts of a day/evening when there wasn't anything of interest to do. We found ourselves spending more time in our balcony cabin just reading and watching the sea life outside. We saw whales and huge pods of dolphins.

We found Manzanilla quite a disappointment. Fortunately (?) we took the tour to Colima and the ruins. I do have to say, this tour was also a disappointment as it described visiting the town but we ended up being herded into a museum where too much time spent being told of the Mexican history while being shown a wall mural. Hey, I can read history in a book. We wanted to spend time exploring this beautiful little town but was given only a short time to eat lunch, quickly check out a RC church, and get herded back onto a bus.

I would recommend to anyone interested, try to book a private tour and not go with this Princess excursion. Our tour guide, "Cheeto" talked the entire (almost 1-1/2 hr) bus ride and never stopped. Brief descriptions would have been adequate but his long and detailed stories were relentless. I think someone must have said something to him during our lunch break because he did admit to being very talkative and promised to stay quiet on our ride back. Being on a bus for three hours with only a simple lunch and short tour of a museum and ho-hum ruins was definitely not worth the $200+ for both my husband and myself.

However, Mazatlan made up for it! We absolutely LOVED Mazatlan. It is a beautiful city with historically significant architecture. We took a $30 open-air cab ride then spent the rest of the day exploring, on our own, the historic district and a part of the Malecon. We would go back there in a snap.

Been on the Grand 7 times in the past three years and never encountered a bucket to catch water. I'm sure there are times they were there but we somehow seem to have always missed this one. We had calm seas and clear skies every day. It was over all an enjoyable cruise with lots of much needed rest.

We were on this cruise also.

I would have to agree with most of what you posted.

Staff and food were all pretty good...agree about the CD...Dan.

Just a FYI...If you are a smoker, there is a very large and comfortable area on Deck 15 Sun.

Those that booked with All inclusive Beverage package, made very good use of it from what I saw.

I hope they loaded up on the spirits for the folks on the current Alaska cruise:eek:

Just my 2 cents...

Cruise Raider user_online.gif

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

icon1.gif

Wow....I guess different strokes for different folks. I would book a cruise simply because Manzanillo is on the itinerary. This is one of my favorite of all the ports in Mexico ... and I have been there 4 times already.

As far as Mazatlán, we never bother to get off the ship there. We've probably been there 2 dozen times and it is just a pit. And we don't tender over in Cabo San Lucas anymore. It used to be so charming -- now just reminds me of making my way around in Los Angeles....with vendors hounding you the entire way. Don't get me wrong, I just love cruising down to Mexico ... it is beautiful from the ship if my itinerary doesn't include ports where I love to explore, such as Manzanillo, La Paz, Loreto or Ixtapa / Zihuatanejo.

Guess it is good that we all don't like the same things.

Would you please tell us what you do enjoy doing in Manzanillo? Also tell us why you think Mazatlan is "just a pit." I realize you have had much experience in these two cities and I certainly don't want to miss out on a town that I know I will be going back to visit in the future.

We were on this cruise also.

I would have to agree with most of what you posted.

Staff and food were all pretty good...agree about the CD...Dan.

Just a FYI...If you are a smoker, there is a very large and comfortable area on Deck 15 Sun.

Those that booked with All inclusive Beverage package, made very good use of it from what I saw.

I hope they loaded up on the spirits for the folks on the current Alaska cruise:eek:

Just my 2 cents...

Not a smoker but there is an identical area just opposite of the area you mention for the non-smokers. I think it was the starboard side.

We'll be on this 10 day cruise out of SF on the Grand next Feb. 28. By then she will have been in dry dock to do some routine maintenance. I've sailed on the Golden on this route in 2007. But we went to Acapulco, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. Also did that exact 10 day cruise on the Sun out of San Pedro in 2003. Love embarking out of SF! An hour and a half from home. Thanks for the review!

We'll be on this 10 day cruise out of SF on the Grand next Feb. 28. By then she will have been in dry dock to do some routine maintenance. I've sailed on the Golden on this route in 2007. But we went to Acapulco, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. Also did that exact 10 day cruise on the Sun out of San Pedro in 2003. Love embarking out of SF! An hour and a half from home. Thanks for the review!

San Pedro for me. We are just about 90 minutes away as well.....:D:D:D

Bob

Would you please tell us what you do enjoy doing in Manzanillo? Also tell us why you think Mazatlan is "just a pit." I realize you have had much experience in these two cities and I certainly don't want to miss out on a town that I know I will be going back to visit in the future.

One time, we just walked up into the hills and found a lovely old hotel and stopped for a cold beer and a delightful conversation with the proprietor followed by a tour of the hotel. I found it to be quite interesting ... not a touristy hotel at all ... just very beautiful with all the carved wood, central staircase and beautiful gardens. We went with 3 other couples and ended up toodling around town -- real Mexico which we all just found it to be charming ...although maybe not in the way most people would see it. We enjoyed the architecture (some was absolutely gorgeous) and the warm nature of the locals. We ducked into local establishments where there was no touristy garbage available. Not everyone's cup of tea but we loved it.

The next couple of times, we went to either the Barceló or Las Hadas ... both of which are beautiful hotels in Manzanillo ... but in the opposite direction of where we walked up into the hills. Las Hadas is an old hotel, but still quite beautiful, known for being in the movie '10' with Bo Derek. Barceló is newer but also quite lovely. Just a nice beach day at these two hotels.

This last time, in December, we tour a ship's tour to the Turtle Sanctuary and it turned out to be the best tour I have taken in all of Mexico. We had a great tour guide and started out by visiting the Turtle Sanctuary and we able to release the baby turtles into the ocean....so cute. After touring this facility, we went to the salt museum, which some thought was dorky but we really enjoyed it. Following that, we stopped for a much needed refreshment of ice cold beers and a fantastic lunch. We even had time to walk down to the market on the beach to poke around. Again...this was not your typical tourist market so if that is what one likes, this wouldn't be the place for you. Anyhow, upon our return to town, we were trying to hunt down some of this most amazing hot sauce we had with our lunch. We ended up finding it in this 'Kiosk' store, similar to our 7-eleven stores in the states. I found 3 bottles, handed her a US dollar .... and got change!!

On our way back to the ship, we stopped and talked to one of the workers on the pier and he explained the story of the brightly painted dog statues that are mounted along the pier's edge. There is an interesting history behind these statues that so many tourists walk by. They guide the departed to heaven.

I guess all of these trips have added to loving Manzanillo and actually love that nobody is hounding you to buy this or that. In no time have I felt as though I was in danger in this lovely port of call. Maybe that is naïve, but the sense I get when visiting there.

In Mazatlán, I feel just the opposite. It is so filthy dirty there and you cannot take two steps without someone trying to sell you this or that....or someone trying to get their hands in your pocket....it is just overwhelming. I have been over to both Deer Island and Stone Island ... both of which also felt so scummy. I have stayed in the Golden Zone and felt the same way about that area. I was pretty sick once after eating food at one of the hotels there. Last time I actually got off the ship and went down to the Golden Zone, many of the hotels were boarded up and everything just looked so dilapidated. So much crime and theft ... I've even seen a lady walk off the ship and her expensive necklace was ripped right off from her neck. The cruiselines actually stopped going there for quite some time as it became way too dangerous.

Now, maybe it has changed as we haven't gotten off the ship there for a good decade. I have actually talk to people that love it there and someone in this post also stated they love Mazatlán. I just have no desire to see if it has gotten any better. Same with Acapulco ... just a pit!

Glad you had a good trip, we are booked for New Years. Did New Years last year, great time.

We are booked on the New Year's cruise as well. Have you been to our roll call thread?

Cruiseraider - Excellent input I wish I had seen it before the cruise. I suggest you add some detail and post in the Port section. I looked hard for info on Manzanillo and found nothing.

We just walked up and down the 'Main' street at the pier, hence our disillusion.