First time cruise

Poppylarue

Hi me and my husband are going on our first ever cruise end of September around the carribean(Jamaica,cayman Isles and Mexico) with carnival.. Not sure which boat it is...

Just after any advice as in what to take not take?

Excursions (got the bob marley house and duns river already in mind for Jamaica)

Just really nervous as I'm used to just doing your typical beach,city break /holidays

Also I get very bad motion sickness but people said you don't get that on a big ship,is that true?

Thanks in advance 😉

If you get motion sickness then I would plan in advance for that with a patch or other motion sickness prevention medication. While its true that ships are stabilized and the larger ones handle the wave motion better than smaller ones, any ship will have some motion and even the larger ones will be affected by high seas or rough conditions. The sea is always in motion and your ship will be affected as well to some degree. What is a little motion to some may be a lot of motion to you.

There is no way to predict sea conditions and every ship is susceptible to that. Another idea would be to book mid to lower level deck staterooms mid ship as that area will feel the motion less than others with front ship locations feeling it the most.

As to what to take, plan as you would for any vacation but realize that you will be in a hot climate the entire time. I would suggest that bring clothes for the days (shorts, bathing suites, tops, etc.) and a change for the evenings (more smart casual, pants, etc.). One of the best comments frequented on these boards regarding what to take is to take less clothes and more cash! Enjoy your first cruise - it likely won't be your last.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Also I get very bad motion sickness but people said you don't get that on a big ship,is that true?

Thanks in advance 😉

Depends on the sea condition, of course, but mostly on your cabin. It should be in the middle, in the lower half of the ship, and have a window.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Check the confirmation that you got from your TA -- it will have the name of the ship listed on it.

Talk to your doctor about what sea sickness medication you should take. He knows you better than we do -- he also knows what medications (if any) you should take.

End of September is still hurricane season -- your captain will stay clear of them -- but you may get some rough seas and rain. Be prepared with some small umbrellas or ponchos for the ports.

The snorkeling in the area is wonderful and there are plenty of private tour companies. If you are going to go in the water around coral, please plan in advance and purchase some coral safe sunscreen. The brands you find in the stores stateside will NOT be coral safe.

Bring a big floppy hat to protect yourself from the sun. There are alot of things you can bring for you cabin, but I recommend only three.

1. a simple 99 cent air freshener for the bathroom

2. A strong magnet with a clip for all your papers...cabin walls are magnetic

3. Small bungee cord. Closet hangers can make noise at night.

I have never had motion sickness so I can't help there.

You are going to a beautiful area...enjoy and let us know all about it when you return.

Mrs Gut swears by Ginger (pretty much any form) and green apples for sea sickness, a mid ship cabin help a lot too. But whatever you use, start a few days before you depart.

I suggest you take something for motion sickness. I like bonine and take it the night before we leave home and continue for the first few days. I also take over the counter meds for most minor illnesses and injuries. A night light/ battery powered candle and alarm clock are helpful. An over the door shoe hanger will contain all the small things that create clutter in the room.

A highlighter is good for marking events in the daily newsletter to avoid missing events that you want to attend.

Poppy, local here who has cruised for many years. Get some Stugeron from Boots. It's non drowsy and it really works. You have been given some great advice on here. I wish I had known about Cruise Critic when we first cruised. We hadn't a clue what to expect. One bit of advice would be to pack a complete change of clothing in your hand baggage. Sometimes your luggage does not arrive in your cabin before dinner on the first night so having something to change into handy is good. The other thing is NEVER put anything into packed luggage of any value. Your bags will pass through many hands before it reaches your cabin. If you have any other questions, fire away. I hope you will have a fantastic cruise. Regards, Sandancer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks sanddancer nice to have a reply from locally to me..

I'm really nervous about it for some reason lol

Wev opted for the buffet dining instead of formal I think it's called.. How does this work? Do you have to eat in a certain restaurant as notice there's different ones on board? Are you limited to the three times a day for instance if you go without lunch can you get like a snack ice cream or something? Is it included in the plan or do you pay extra?

Also the drinks package, I think we are getting it but are you limited to where you get drinks from etc?

Sorry for all the questions but feel daft asking the travel agents as sure they already think am neurotic 😀

Thanks again.

Poppy. Firstly you shouldn't hesitate to ask your TA anything. You are paying their commission! I can't give you specific answers for Carnival but if you post all these questions on the Carnival forum, there will be many people only too happy to answer you. Remember that the vast majority of posters on here (especially Carnival) are not from the UK and may make reference to products or procedures you just don't get. Ask, ask, and ask again. There will be a main dining room (MDR) which is generally open for breakfast , lunch and dinner. There will be a buffet which is casual and can be open for up to 20 hours a day depending on the ship. The other restaurants are probably speciality restaurants with superior food and service which you pay an extra charge for. It's your choice whether you use them or not. One thing I feel I should mention is tipping. Don't believe any travel agent that tells you it's ok to not tip. The crew work really hard and rely on tips to make up their salary. We always pre-pay tips as we prefer everything paid upfront. I have actually overheard a travel agent in Newcastle (no names) tell a customer that they don't have to tip. Wrong! Try the Carnival board for specific answers about drinks etc.

This will be no different from a resort location vacation. The ship is your "hotel" (albeit, with much smaller rooms!), and your destinations will change...but the whole "on vacation" vibe is the same!

Pack as you would for a beach vacation, with some nicer clothes for dinners...maybe dockers/collared shirts for hubby. That's really it! There is nothing you NEED on a cruise that you wouldn't take on any vacation!

Do you mean you've opted for "anytime dining"? You choose early, late, or anytime dining. All are served in the main dining rooms. With early and late you eat at a specific time (6:00 PM and, I think, 8:30 PM). With anytime you show up during the open hours and get a table. Like a restaurant on land, you might have to wait. The menus are the same for anytime and both fixed-time seatings.

Some folks do dress up for the main dining room on "elegant nights". But the dress code is quite relaxed on Carnival.

You don't have to choose to dine at the buffet. It is a choice any night. But you will be given some dining assignment in the main dining room. You don't have to eat there, but I would encourage you to check it out. The food is, IMHO, a definite step up from the buffet.

You can eat anytime you want and as much as you want. Pizza and soft serve ice cream are available 24 hours on the Lido deck. Room service is also available 24 hours, though some (not all) of their items have an extra charge. There are various food outlets that have somewhat more limited hours than the buffet. Exactly which depends on your ship.

Oh, and in the dining room, you are not limited to one appetizer, one entree and one desert. If you don't like something, order something else. If you love something, order another.

Definitely check with your doctor about the scopalamine patches. My wife tried everything under the sun and nothing worked until she used the patches.

Wev opted for the buffet dining instead of formal I think it's called.. How does this work? Do you have to eat in a certain restaurant as notice there's different ones on board? Are you limited to the three times a day for instance if you go without lunch can you get like a snack ice cream or something? Is it included in the plan or do you pay extra?

Also the drinks package, I think we are getting it but are you limited to where you get drinks from etc?

Sorry for all the questions but feel daft asking the travel agents as sure they already think am neurotic 😀

Thanks again.

Ask your travel agent which kind of dining you have. We haven't been on Carnival since 2002 when everyone was given "traditional dining." So not sure what the non traditional/flexible dining is called. But you will either have traditional early dining, traditional late dining, or whatever the flexible is. Again, your agent will know which one you have. Traditional is when you are assigned to a specific table and time for dinner. You go to that dining room at that time. You'll have the same tablemates and waitstaff. The other type is flexible (again, your agent should know the term or else ask on the Carnival board) -- with this type of dining, you can go to the dining room that has the flexible dining at some time during the dining period.

Each night there will be a different menu (all the main dining rooms will have the same menu and dress code). But you can go to a specialty restaurant (which will have a cover charge) or you can go to the buffet. Your ship may also have additional choices for dinner.

For breakfast and lunch (on sea days), one dining room will be open for meals (with open seating). You can also eat in the buffet.

I would suggest checking out the Carnival website for the FAQ section and also for info about your ship (make sure to get your ship right).

The snorkeling in the area is wonderful and there are plenty of private tour companies. If you are going to go in the water around coral, please plan in advance and purchase some coral safe sunscreen. The brands you find in the stores stateside will NOT be coral safe.

Bring a big floppy hat to protect yourself from the sun. There are alot of things you can bring for you cabin, but I recommend only three.

1. a simple 99 cent air freshener for the bathroom

2. A strong magnet with a clip for all your papers...cabin walls are magnetic

3. Small bungee cord. Closet hangers can make noise at night.

I have never had motion sickness so I can't help there.

You are going to a beautiful area...enjoy and let us know all about it when you return.

In the US, try CVS for Garden Goddess reef-safe sunscreen.

Congrats on going on your first cruise! Be careful, they are addicting. [emoji4]

My first cruise was last fall on Carnval, same itinerary. Feel free to read my review (link is in my signature).

As far as sea sickness is concerned, I also get bad motion sickness but only when I'm not taking my allergy pills regularly. I think they dry up the fluid in my ears, and since motion sickness is an inner ear disturbance, this seems to help. I didn't get sick at all on my cruise. (I had been taking Zyrtec regularly beforehand.). Didn't even have to take any Bonine, though I brought some in case.

Anyway, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by bakersdozen12

Thanks again.

Poppy, on Carnival, everyone gets assigned to a main dining room and you can eat at the buffet anytime you want as well. I think what you meant is you chose AnyTime dining - where you can go to the assigned AnyTime dining room at any time you want when it is open or if you don't want to eat there, you can go to the buffet instead. You can also eat in the other MDR for breakfast or lunch as Carnival typically only opens one MDR for those meals. Alternatively, you can eat breakfast and lunch at the buffet. The choice is yours. We prefer the MDR for breakfast and the buffet for lunch and then we eat in the MDR for dinner or we go to the steakhouse or chef's table (you have to get a reservation for these restaurants and they cost extra - look on the Carnival website for the email address of the steakhouse on your ship and that is where you would email to get a reservation for either of these restaurants.)

The daily menus are posted outside of each dining room after noon, so you can check it out, see if there is anything they are serving that you want to try or decide to go to the buffet instead. I want to encourage you to go to the Main Dining Room on the first evening just so you can experience what it is like. Each night the waiters put on a show and dance, so it's fun to see that.

In terms of the drinks package, that works at every dining venue and every bar on the ship.