Best and Worst Questions to the Captain

Hackpba

I thought it might be fun to hear what others have heard about the questions asked of the captain.

I have heard a few good ones....

Who is steering the ship since you are here with us?

I heard if you flush the toilet while still sitting on it, it will hurt you?

Do you eat the same food we do?

Have you ever been on a sinking ship?

Are there pirates in our area?

Let's hear some more good ones....

Q: Have you ever left a passenger behind?

A: No, but on a few occasions, there was a passenger who decided not to be on board when we sailed.

Q: Boxers or briefs?

<<hotel director explains question to Scandinavian captain>>

A: Neither

On Navigator a young boy asked about pirates. His father then asked if they had a jail cell (brig) on the ship. The answer was yes. The father then asked have you ever used it. Captain did not hesitate: "YES!".

Do you eat the same food we do?

Given how complicated the rules are about who can eat in passenger areas, the needs for good ethnic food for people working on the same ship for months at a time, the Navy/military experience most people are at least somewhat familiar with (SOS?), and the rules about officer's quarters, and how they are serviced... This is actually a very interesting and somewhat complex discussion.

Given how complicated the rules are about who can eat in passenger areas, the needs for good ethnic food for people working on the same ship for months at a time, the Navy/military experience most people are at least somewhat familiar with (SOS?), and the rules about officer's quarters, and how they are serviced... This is actually a very interesting and somewhat complex discussion.

The basic answer is no. There is usually one crew galley that services the 2 or more crew mess halls, the staff mess, the officers' mess, and the duty mess if available. Usually there is one crew mess that serves ethnic foods, based on the majority ethnicities of the crew, and one that serves Western style food. Nearly all are buffet style, with the exception of the officers' mess, which will usually have both buffet and off the menu service.

Captain's Q&E -- for a while HAL had them. Then suddenly they were gone.

But recently the captain of our ship did have what he considered a Q&E. He talked for 35 minutes with a slide show of some of the bridge and drawings. Then for 15 minutes a few people got to ask questions and he pretty much avoided them. Quite a few people got up and left during the captain's "talk".

First time he walked by and we said hello, he joined us, had Perrier. 2nd time he had cabernet, 3rd time it was stronger but don't know what it was called.

On another cruise, the captain said to us, "Let's go up to my cabin" and, we DID. How many crew, let alone passengers have been to the captain's cabin?

Same captain, different ship, had a lull on captain's night and came at sat with us. We all got up, a good song was playing, and I asked him if he wanted to dance. And, we did! We didn't step on any toes and the captain said he didn't remember the last time he danced!

He is no longer a captain. He is now Director of Damage Control & Stability for Carnival cruise lines and he evaluates captains!

We are in touch via his personal email.

WE have met other captains and they know us but we don't know them like this captain!

The link did Nuthin for me @ 0 Feet above sea level ??

Captain sez about 20 miles. ;)

First off, 0 feet above sea level means you are laying on the ground, so the horizon is a couple of feet away. In the link, "observation height" is more commonly referred to as "height of eye".

To get a horizon of 20 miles (statute, not nautical) you would need to be 250 feet high.

Now, if the object you are looking for also has some height of eye (like the bridge or mast of a ship), then the two combined gives you the sighting distance. So, for a cruise ship to spot a cargo ship (cruise ship bridge 90 feet high, cargo ship 60 feet high), you get 11.6 + 9.5 for a distance of 21 miles.

Instead of gathering what you considera clev er list of never before asked questions in the event you have a chance to ask Captain. Why don't you?ask what teally interests you?

Edited by sail7seas

First off, 0 feet above sea level means you are laying on the ground, so the horizon is a couple of feet away. In the link, "observation height" is more commonly referred to as "height of eye".

To get a horizon of 20 miles (statute, not nautical) you would need to be 250 feet high.

Now, if the object you are looking for also has some height of eye (like the bridge or mast of a ship), then the two combined gives you the sighting distance. So, for a cruise ship to spot a cargo ship (cruise ship bridge 90 feet high, cargo ship 60 feet high), you get 11.6 + 9.5 for a distance of 21 miles.

Got 1 more for ya.

Do ships react different in hot " Caribbean " VS cold water " Alaska "?

I know my harley feels stronger in cold weather.

Did hear sub's in WW2 had overheating problems.

Edited by biker@sea